Roxboro, NC
Rockness Monster Share
Uploaded By: sopelis Hole #4 (Taken 2/2012)
3 / 150ft.   3 / 173ft.   3 / 221ft.   3 / 150ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Basket to Tee (A position)

Rockness Heaven

1    4/24/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: pmay5
Pros: This course is very well taken care of, multiple concrete tees on each hole, great signs at the tees, next tee signs, baskets are in great shape also. The tee signs are probably the best I've seen, layout of the hole, next tee direction, distance and elevation change for each tee, pictures of the hole AND a well written description of each hole. Very well done.
The course flows very well, nice use of the elevation on the site, front side makes use of the rocks, back side makes use of a creek. The baskets for 3 and 5 were set into piles of boulders, great use of those. Baskets for 11, 13, 14 and 17 were very close to the creek winding through the back side. Really gives both nines their own personalities.
The one open space on the property is used for both 2 and 9, they got the most use out of that they could.
While this is a heavily wooded property, the fairways are cleared to not make it a throw and pray, pinball type course. 8 has the tightest fairway, but it is straight and designed that way.
Cons: Very tough to find any cons at Rockness. The transition from 14 to 15 was a little tough, but didn't cause any delay. Course is on the back of Piedmont Comm College and it didn't appear there were any restrooms or drinks available.
Other Thoughts: Got a chance to meet course designer David Wehrenberg before I started. He was very helpful showing me the first tee and providing any tips possible. Really is cool the way he used the natural features on the site, plus he added some sea monster rock sculptures, and plays over a stone foundation. Couple of nice, fast greens with rollaway potential (yes, 16 cost me a stroke!).
With the fair fairways, great tees, unique pin locations and use of elevation and the creek, this is truly Rockness Heaven.

2-4    4/10/2015   4/13/2015
Review By: hoppedup
Pros: Signage is important to me. Rockness Monster has possibly the best signage I have ever seen. The tees are clearly marked and each basket has a hanging tag pointing to the next tee. You can not get lost here.

The course itself is on a beautiful, wooded piece of property. There are only two holes that are open. The tee baskets in the rock formations on 3,4 and 5 make for a neat putting experience. With four tee pads on most holes, there really is something here for everyone. We played the whites and the flow was really nice. There are holes for every shot in your repertoire here. While the course is mostly wooded, the fairways are tough but fair.

The drainage here must be pretty good. I played a couple of days after some heavy rain and the course was not muddy at all.

The elevation change gives you a good workout here. A few of the downhill throws let you air it out and the uphills are a good challenge.

I have been to this course twice and didn't see another person either time. If a course of this quality were near a population center it would be crowded all the time. This is probably my favorite of the courses I've played.

The nearby Sasquatch and Kraken courses can be added for a nice day of disc golf
Cons: For me, the only ding is that it is so far from where I live.

You want to get bit by this monster..

1    3/25/2012   3/25/2012
Review By: mx23ang
Pros: First off let me go ahead and state that I study horticulture at NC STATE; I am entralled with plants, wildlife, and interesting landscapes. That being said, many of you will understand why I rated the monster this well. We pulled up into the college and seen the absolute biggest tom turkey (gobbler) that I have ever seen in my life! That got me riled up pretty big, and by the time I seen the basket placement on Hole#3 I nutted myself.. This course utilizes the native landscape so well!! Orgasm (amazing native landscaped) holes for me were #3,4,5,8,11,12 simply because the owner of this course made sure that an extra landscape perk was incorporated. Like the island green on #11, its really a peninsula but still very hazardous! Getting that out of the way I will give other reasons why this course stacks up to a 4.5 (in my opinion)
Amenities- Some of the best signs on the front nine I have yet to see. Like the media shows they give distances, elevation, etc. I love the names on the front nine, they get kind of random and cheesy on the back
Lines- First off let me say this is most defiantly the tightest dg course that I have currently played. Ive played some super tight courses (ie Simple Pleasures, Sugaree, Buckhorn, Valley Springs) and none of these even come close to the severity of fairway width. Like most people will complain about this place being to tight, if you dont beileve me just bring your happy butt out here. I personally like the challenge, I prefer woods golf over field golf. While most RHBH players will really be scratching their head on the front nine, they can still pull out a flippy disc and sneak through the very an-hyzer friendly front nine.
The back nine offers more hyzers for these players but still you will want ultra-ultra precision
Greens- Like I have previously alluded to the Rockness Monster has some of the most ahhmazing greens I have played on. They dont quite stack up to Sugaree DGC's greens, but come very close on holes 3,4,5. Other holes have an extremly steep slope behind the basket and rollaways are everywhere out here. The brand new DISCatchers stand out really well in the woods because on many holes you cannot see the basket from the teebox
Cons: You can tell this place is relatively new, most "fairways" are full of holes, roots, stumps, and sticks that trip you up. I put "fairways" in quotes for one reason..Im all about tight woods golf, I love it; However, if you are going to have a 385' uphill dogleg right that is so super tight it really should be a par 4 dont you think? No major complaints, I like the challenge
Some of the natural teepads are un-level and have occasional roots in the way. Watch your footing on white teepads on holes 8,10,13-18. I bet this minor issue will only get better with time.
Being a plant nerd, I can see this place being very bug-infested on a hot summer day. We played in the spring as the plants were just budding out, one member of the group still found a tick on him.
With these three minor issues in mind, this course stacks up to 4.25 to me. Being the nature guru and loving this course for its scenery I am rounding up to 4.5
Other Thoughts: Being the designer of a relatively new course I only see the Monster getting even more epic with time. Maybe level some more of the teepads and cut down just a few more trees mid-fairway and I will rate this course a 5