Roxboro, NC
Rockness Monster Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #11 (Taken 11/2013)
3 / 225ft.   3 / 388ft.   4 / 385ft.   3 / 388ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #11 White Tee

A Friendly Monster

1    11/2/2013   11/4/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's tempting to describe this course as a monster. If it is, it's a friendly monster. It's not that kind of good course that drags you through the mud, spits you out and maybe you feel the better for it. Rockness is the kind of good course in which every hole is just a joy to throw. Great lines carved through a beautiful forest. Narrow paths lead pleasurably from basket to tee.

It all starts with the tees. While there are three sets, (and wow. These three provide more vastly different looks than any course I've seen to date.) the whites are the best, if only for the flow. From white tee to basket to white tee, this course flows seamlessly. (In contrast, playing blues will require some backtracking) You'd be hard-pressed to make a navigation error here.

The holes themselves, I can't even do justice. You're better off scrolling through the pictures of the tee signs on here. There is just a whole mess of interesting shapes and designs. The course is wooded, but not excessively so. It's one of those landscapes that does not feature a lot of underbrush. Just trees, hills and well, rock.

Oh, yeah, the rock. The course's namesake feature is ever-present. The exposed rock really adds that identity to the course. Sometimes it's used to add difficulty to a green but often it's just there for aesthetics. Still, it's what you'll likely remember the course for.

Strangely, the rocks do not feature much in the two most memorable holes. 11 and 14 are the creek holes. 11 doesn't encounter water until the green, where the basket sits surrounded by a bend. The shallow tributary winds back and forth across 14, requiring precise distance control to ensure that you avoid a disc bath.

Really, this is a course that should appeal to all players. It's a course that screams out for a 4.25. It's a course cries for multiple rounds. Honestly, just get out there. I saw no other humans on a Saturday, which is preposterous. Maybe, people don't know: it's a friendly monster.
Cons: The only way this course could be improved is if the blue and red tees were made to be as intriguing as the whites are. I hate to say that a layout is perfect but the white here comes pretty close. Even just improving the blue would bump this to a 4.5 for certain.
Other Thoughts: I'd definitely recommend the white tees for newcomers of all ability levels. It's the full Rockness experience. It's got the detailed tee signs, the perfectly-sized, cement tees and of course the small white statuettes guarding each tee box. The course is definitely designed to be played from here. Experienced players can always play a second round from the blues.

Great course for beginners and others

1    10/5/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: Ferris
Pros: Great signs at each hole give you a feel for the shot. While a wooded course, the fairways were wide and offered several approaches. Can't say enough about how well marked the course is. Played it blind without a map and had no problems finding the next tee. Great use of elevation and terrain (pins surrounded by boulders, two holes surrounded by a creek). This course lived up to the descriptions I had read in previous reviews.
Cons: Can't really think of any. As a novice player I thought it was great. White tees were just the right length to be challenging. Course is very hilly. I am a heavy set person, but active, and I got a great workout just walking the course. Only negative was hole 17 because I could not find the basket from the tee or the fairway. Barely saw it when I was 25 yards away walking past it.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing this course by myself. The maps and directional markers were great. The course is in the back of the campus. Keep going back and left around the buildings until you see Building S and a sign off in the left corner of that parking lot. The college is behind Northern Middle School. There are signs but it takes some guesswork if coming from Carver Drive. All around great course. The designer should be applauded.

Not so much a monster as it is a sexy beast!

1    9/12/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
Pros: -A challenging but fair wooded course that makes wonderful use of elevation changes, creekbeds, and large rocky formations
-Multiple tees and multiple baskets (red, white, blue, and orange)
-Incredibly beautiful and informative tee signs as well as ample signage to help navigate
-Very well-thought out and cleverly executed
-Starts and ends at the same place, and 9 ends and 10 starts there too, allowing for 9 holes if time doesn't allow for the full 19 holes
-Very nice gravel tees for the blue and white tees
Cons: -No trash cans
-No pads for red and orange tees, and the orange tees aren't on the signs at all
-Spiders and mosquitoes are plentiful
-Could use a little more variation
Other Thoughts: This may be the best course around, especially for an average golfer. From the white tees this course plays like a dream. My only complaints are the lack of trash cans and the abundance of spider webs. Seriously, I wish I lived closer to it. The care, design, and thought that went into this course are second to none, and I expect the designers will continue to improve it. The little touches, the whimsical touches, the layout- from beginning to end its clear that this course was and is loved. Its not the hardest course out there, but I enjoyed every hole. In terms of playability, I'd probably boost this to a 4.5, and if there were more variation (an open hole or two) I'd feel confident doing so, but really the Rockness Monster taken as a whole doesn't suffer much from this. Its a beautiful course, well-maintained, challenging but fair, and above all else, fun. What's there not to like?

Awesome first impression

1    4/6/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: Jawa
Pros: I played this course with 2 others. New baskets with tags on them showing the next tee, amazing tee signs showing accurate map. 3 different tees. Reds are natural, white and blue are gravel and are in immaculate conditon. New benches on all holes. Very easy to navigate. Great use of elevation and terrain. Even has steps installed on hills for safer walking. Bridges are new and in great shape. Loops back to parking lot on hole 9 and 18.
Cons: Not much. Only a issue is if you are out of shape your gonna have a bad time. Some major hills to climb so be warned. Woods are a little tight but it should be for a challenge. Lots of leaves so keep an eye on your disc.
Other Thoughts: Someone took their time planning this course. I enjoyed playing this. We were the only ones out there on a weekend. IDK where everyone was at. If it wasnt an hour away I'd be playing this more often.

Great course from the whites

1    1/21/2013   1/21/2013
Review By: Kent18
Pros: This course is awesome if played from the white tee pads. I played this course by myself and had a great time. New baskets, amazing tee signs with detail (Only on the front 9). Some of the best natural tee pads I have ever seen with new tee boxes being constructed as I was playing it. Great layout and use of OB. Course navigation was intuitive and signs were posted everywhere. Benches were on most if not all of the holes.
Cons: The blue tee pads and overall design from the blues was average. Some blue tee pads had to be doubled back on and really hunted for while you watched your footing on those trails with the overgrowth and two inch stumps that littered those paths. The fairways from the blues were raw in some cases and didn't have that worn feel to them as did the whites. The back nine holes would be great to have the tee signs afforded to the front nine. No bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: You can tell someone or some club has put in a lot of time here with all the little touches made to the holes. Either I had beginners luck or the white tee pads may be too easy for some especially the advanced player all the more important to see this same care given to the course as it relates from the blue tee pads that the whites have been given. I would be happy to bump this score up when the blue tee pads become more established and thought out. All in all for a course being so new it has come so far in that time. Really can't wait to see this course fully developed.

Rockness

1    11/23/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: psantos
Pros: Good course. It has some technical shots through the woods. Make sure to check out the secret dragon hole off of hole 5.
Cons: Long, hilly course. You will get a workout playing all 18.
Other Thoughts: I lost a disc on hole 2 in the woods on the right. Let me know if you find it in your travels.

5+    5/26/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: Spiral
Pros: The white course set up flows very well. Hole 10 begins at the parking lot so one could play a quick 9 on the front or the back. The course uses the environment to it's favor greatly. There is plenty of elevation change (it reminds me of some of the courses in the mountains here in NC), the creek is used well on the back 9, the rocks are used well on the front 9, and the fairways are tight but fair for the most part. The blue tees are more than just longer looks at the same fairway and are very challenging. For the most part it works (I'm looking at you #9). The red tees are made for beginners and seem appropriate for that use. The tees are natural but are level except for some of the blue tees which could still use some work. The tees on the whites which are boxed in are actually really good pads. In fact I think I might favor them over a lot of the concrete pads I've played. The front 9 favors left to right shots while the back 9 plays more to straight shots and right to left so it balances out.

Other pros include benches/boulders to sit on at every white tee, trash cans at 6, 10, and 14, navigation is made easy by plenty of signage, the front 9 tee signs are very useful (the back 9 are temporary), and there is plenty of parking especially when school is out.

Favorite holes are #11 from the white tee and #14 from either the blue or white tee.
Cons: The biggest problem I have with this course is the flow of some of the blue tees. There is a lot of back tracking. It would be OK if this only happened once or twice, I expect a little extra walking when I play the blue tees. There just seems to be so much of it with the way the blue tees are arranged. The good news is that the tees are still dirt and modifications can be made to improve flow more easily than if they were concrete.

Not really a "con so much as just weird is the blue tee arrangement for #13 and #14 where you throw both tee shots from the top of the hill back to back to avoid walking back up the hill. A sign there letting people know would be helpful.

Also blue #12 crosses #11 fairway, which isn't bad until the course gets crowded.

There are only a couple of holes on the course, either white or blue tees, that let you use a driver other than throwing an overhead shot since the course is so tight. Not too much a "con" for me since I like wooded, technical type courses.

The red tees seem to suffer from being shortened and straightened out too much. There are a few left to right shots but there are no real right to left shots from the red tees. Again, easily fixed since they are dirt tees and can be easily moved.
Other Thoughts: This is a new course so it needs some foot traffic to help keep the undergrowth down. Also since it's heavily wooded there are plenty of ticks to go around during the warmer months. It is a very scenic course and aside from a couple of hiccups on the blue tees and the red tees the course very well designed.

Also the little serpents at most of the tee pads and the large concrete sea serpent at the white tee for #5 are nice touches.

Some Kind of Monster Alright

2-4    5/15/2012   5/15/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 4/14/2013
Pros: Gorgeous land. Situated in shady, NC woods with running elevation, a picturesque creek, and studded with moss covered boulders amongst this idyllic course. Three sets of tees with cute little gargoyle statues denoting the tee at the white tees. Nice tees signs at the whites as well that describe the hole completely, even including elevation change in footage which is an almost perk, credit to the designers. All of the white tees had nice benches and if they didn't there were usually nice boulders to sit on.

The course flows really well from the whites. The elevation change and landscape is used quite well, you really feel like you are some place special, like in the mountains a bit. A lot of thought went into this course in the way of steps, tee boxes, and erosion prevention which is awesome and a credit to the designers as well.
Cons: UPDATE: A lot of improvement since I last played here, the fairways are defined now and the blues and white tees, while natural, are in very good shape. The only cons I have are really pet peeves. One is no concrete tees, boo hoo I know. The other is I wish there were steps cut directly to hole 13 so you didn't have to go the long way that puts you in front of hole 18.

Okay, here is where I get unflattering and get dinged with thumbs down. The course seemed to be designed from the white (middle) tees first and then the shorts and longs squeezed around them. A huge example of this are holes 13 & 14 from the blues, more or less right beside each other and both play downhill. Our guide had us tee off from both at the same time to avoid an unnecessary walk back uphill. The reds (shorts) are so short and placed so dumb on occasion that they're practically worthless IMO. The blues (longs) are not as bad but more often than not they're so filled with early trouble and non-existent lines that I wouldn't bother with'em. I met a local guy named Mike who was nice enough to play with me from the blues and on more than one occasion, he opted for an OH shot through the woods instead of bothering navigating the "fairway." A few goofy long walks b/w blue tees as well.

I'm not crazy about the mando location on that one hole (hole 4 I think). You pretty much have to skip something either with a thumber or FH (for a righty) to get around it to have a decent putt, especially from the blue tee. A mando placed on the light ash looking tree right before it would have been a lot better and allowed for a RHBH anny or turnover option that has a prayer of working.

Bring bug spray, the ticks are hungry.
Other Thoughts: Fave/signature hole: Probably hole 14. Awesome hole from blue and white tees that has a fairway wide enough that you can actually air one out and if you hit a tree you won't be SOL automatically. It might have more late trouble than necessary but easy to overlook, due in large part to the beautiful creek on the right. This hole is what the designers should use as an example for the others.

This course reminds me a lot of two particular courses. The now extinct Brackett's Bluff and Highland Hills.

UPDATE: This is a very good course now. With the addition of nearby Sasquatch, Roxboro is now worth a small roadtrip IMO. Rockness has gotten much needed smoothing out and is just a good fun course from the whites (didn't have time to play the blues). Kudos to Dave and whomever put in work out there, you guys are doing great.

You want to get bit by this monster..

1    3/25/2012   3/25/2012
Review By: mx23ang
Pros: First off let me go ahead and state that I study horticulture at NC STATE; I am entralled with plants, wildlife, and interesting landscapes. That being said, many of you will understand why I rated the monster this well. We pulled up into the college and seen the absolute biggest tom turkey (gobbler) that I have ever seen in my life! That got me riled up pretty big, and by the time I seen the basket placement on Hole#3 I nutted myself.. This course utilizes the native landscape so well!! Orgasm (amazing native landscaped) holes for me were #3,4,5,8,11,12 simply because the owner of this course made sure that an extra landscape perk was incorporated. Like the island green on #11, its really a peninsula but still very hazardous! Getting that out of the way I will give other reasons why this course stacks up to a 4.5 (in my opinion)
Amenities- Some of the best signs on the front nine I have yet to see. Like the media shows they give distances, elevation, etc. I love the names on the front nine, they get kind of random and cheesy on the back
Lines- First off let me say this is most defiantly the tightest dg course that I have currently played. Ive played some super tight courses (ie Simple Pleasures, Sugaree, Buckhorn, Valley Springs) and none of these even come close to the severity of fairway width. Like most people will complain about this place being to tight, if you dont beileve me just bring your happy butt out here. I personally like the challenge, I prefer woods golf over field golf. While most RHBH players will really be scratching their head on the front nine, they can still pull out a flippy disc and sneak through the very an-hyzer friendly front nine.
The back nine offers more hyzers for these players but still you will want ultra-ultra precision
Greens- Like I have previously alluded to the Rockness Monster has some of the most ahhmazing greens I have played on. They dont quite stack up to Sugaree DGC's greens, but come very close on holes 3,4,5. Other holes have an extremly steep slope behind the basket and rollaways are everywhere out here. The brand new DISCatchers stand out really well in the woods because on many holes you cannot see the basket from the teebox
Cons: You can tell this place is relatively new, most "fairways" are full of holes, roots, stumps, and sticks that trip you up. I put "fairways" in quotes for one reason..Im all about tight woods golf, I love it; However, if you are going to have a 385' uphill dogleg right that is so super tight it really should be a par 4 dont you think? No major complaints, I like the challenge
Some of the natural teepads are un-level and have occasional roots in the way. Watch your footing on white teepads on holes 8,10,13-18. I bet this minor issue will only get better with time.
Being a plant nerd, I can see this place being very bug-infested on a hot summer day. We played in the spring as the plants were just budding out, one member of the group still found a tick on him.
With these three minor issues in mind, this course stacks up to 4.25 to me. Being the nature guru and loving this course for its scenery I am rounding up to 4.5
Other Thoughts: Being the designer of a relatively new course I only see the Monster getting even more epic with time. Maybe level some more of the teepads and cut down just a few more trees mid-fairway and I will rate this course a 5

I'm hooked on the rock! Wait...I mean the course.

5+    3/8/2012   3/12/2012
Review By: sopelis
Pros: -Incredible use of natural surroundings and elevation. Best i've ever seen. Makes it that much more enjoyable.
-3 tee boxes - wonderful for beginners to advance
-Alternate basket locations (6 holes - 3 front, 3 back)
-Great tee signs
-Bridges and stairs where needed.
-Benches on almost every hole.
-Love the option to play just the front or back individually and finish where you started.
-A superb mix of heizer/anheizer, elevation changes and distance.

Cons: -no concrete tee pads. some are difficult to throw off
-bug central - spiders, tics, bees. bring bug spray.
-back 9 is a little bit difficult to navigate
-quite a hike
-new, so not worn in
-little bit of a trek between some of the holes
Other Thoughts: Rockness is awesome. It's a very well thought out course. From the individual front/back 9 play to the great mix of heizer/anhezier, elevation, distance and difficulty. One of the prettiest courses you'll play. Blues are rough and I think would challenge most pros. If it's not on your must play list, you're missing out.