Freeport, FL
ChainDragon Share
Uploaded By: sidearmer Hole #1 (Taken 3/2011)

Adagio Baioni Beach Bash 2014

2-4    7/3/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: manglin
Pros: -Baskets are high quality DGA Machs.
-Scenic beauty.
-Parking.
-Restrooms.
-Close to the beaches on 30A and Destin.
-Hole number signs and directional indicators to the next tee. To know the direction of the next tee, look for red painted on one of the wrungs of the basket. That serves as an "arrow" to the next hole.
-Free
Cons: -Lack of Benches & Trash bins
-Lacking in Variety of hole distances
-Lacking in Variety of shots required. Most are RHBH hyzer throws.
-Lacking in Mix of tight technical & Open bombs. Most are open sitting on the edge of a wood line.
-Overall challenge is fairly low.
-The signs could use distance and hole shape indications.
Other Thoughts: I got a chance to play this course while on vacation in Blue Mt Beach on 30A. It's a very short trip, about 20 mins, from our condo. It made for a good break from the sand and sun.
The course has little challenge; however, it's still pretty fun - which is good on vacation.
Park near the basketball & tennis courts to start hole 1.
Watch for snakes. I found one on hole 4.
The course is flat and makes for an easy walk. I brought my 3yr old boy and he did pretty good walking most of the holes as the terrain is pretty easy.
Seems like some of the hole distances are not accurate and/or maybe some of the tees have been moved closer. I over-threw some things based on the distances listed on DGCR.

1st Time @ Chaindragon

1    8/1/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: JLyle4
Pros: Very nice park.
All holes in tact.
Some technical shots.
Scenery.
Secluded.
Cons: Very empty.
Some signage down.
Hard to navigate front 9.
Bugs in summer.
Other Thoughts: Excellent area for a disc golf course with many ponds and quite a few wooded shots. Could be setup a little more challenging considering how short the course is. Advanced to Pro players won't lose any discs. Water holes are very pretty.

If you are in the area

1    8/13/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: The course is a enjoyable course that is kept up pretty well. The course itself lies on a great sports complex, so the area is very family friendly and is available to other recreational opportunities for everyone. The course lends itself to more novice and beginning players. Locals would be able to play this course very quickly. Each hole is numbered well and the water holes are definitely the most enjoyable. Also, for each water hole there is at least a long branch or pole laid out by the pond to use on soaked shots. The baskets are pretty much new and thus in great shape. The holes are all pretty much short so this lends to very ace-able holes (I hit the basket pole on hole #1).
Cons: Unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros for this course. To begin with, the first hole is a bit difficult to find in this relatively small sports complex (there needs to be some sort of signs up to direct us to hole 1). When you arrive at tee box #1 you quickly realize what this course's shortcomings are going to be:
1. very short and narrow concrete tees
2. no hole layout or distances given
3. this is going to be an easy and short course

Another part about the tee boxes is that many do not even have pads but are just on very awkward or uneven throwing ground. The biggest frustration by far is that there isn't any hole layouts or even just distances (however, there are posts there for them so either they are getting to it or they have been destroyed). The couple of holes that do have the layouts are faded pictures taken of the hole from the tee box itself, so you still are unsure of the basket's location exactly. Because there weren't either distances or hole locations given, I had to walk usually half way down the fairway just to get an idea of where I should be throwing. This made a first time visit pretty time consuming, frustrating, and difficult to choose a disc or how I should approach many first shots. Also, because of this my score suffered at least three strokes (for a first timer). Overall, this course does not really test a player very much as nearly all holes are mid range shots without many interesting or challenging layouts. There is only one or two long holes on this course that I remember so you pretty much leave the driver in your bag. There are some mando's out there but are very faded and difficult to spot.
During the summer I am sure you can run into the occasional snake, but you will definitely run into mosquitos which are at least 3x the size of normal ones (so much so that their buzz of wings sounds like a bee).
Other Thoughts: In conclusion, this course not bad but should only be played if you are in the area (it is not destination spot at all). I would have graded this course a 3.5 if there were distances and layouts for every hole, as it would have been much more enjoyable with these included.

Here are a few tips for first timers:

1. Remember that the course layout runs around the perimeter (a circle) of the sports complex, and it will help guide you around
2. The holes do not have signs that direct you to the next tee box, but instead, each basket bottom has one spoke that is spray-painted gold to point you in the direction of the next tee box
3. Because most holes do not have a layout for you, there are some colored ribbons tied to trees to indicate where you should be throwing from the tee box (as you can't see the basket)
4. Maybe you should write down the distances of every hole seen in pictures of this website so that you have a better idea of how to throw each hole

Fun little course.

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Baskets are in great shape.
A solid mix of hole shapes
A very nice sporting complex with water fountains and bathrooms.
Very low traffic on the course.
Some pretty fun water holes with good pin placements to make you think.
Also some really nice pins hidden in the woods, I love a hole that starts off in the open for 250-300ish then shoots into the woods, and they do this well here on a few holes.
Cons: This is a pretty short course,minus hole five, you don't need anything more than a fairway driver, mostly midrange and putter shots though, not really a huge complaint, but it would be nice to have a bit more holes to air it out on.

The teepads here kind of suck..there are some holes that don't have them at all, and some of the ones that are there are really tiny, like I said, the holes a pretty short so a standstill is alright, but sometimes I want an x-step.
Other Thoughts: This has potential to be a good course, I think a few of the pin locations could be moved in more optimal positions to tighten this course up for its full potential. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I had a fun time out there and I'm sure I'll play it every single time I'm down in Seaside.

I'm not sure how much of a local club they have, but I think with some more work this could be a really nice course.

keep it tight

1    3/24/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: theswamp36
Pros: lots of tough shots, some short shots and some long. Low traffic, exciting with all the water
Cons: silly shots, signs but i understand it takes time to have everything, tee pads are weak.
Other Thoughts: can challenge anyo.e with all the water

Snakes

5+    3/31/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: westflagator
This review was updated on 4/26/2013
Pros: ..............................................................................................................................................
Cons: ...............................................................................................

Newer Park Course

1    11/18/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Chain Dragon is a new course so the baskets are in excellent condition. The park which houses the course seems to be very well-kept and neat. The design is fairly strong including various shot requirements. While it was definitely not a long course, there are some holes with length. I really look for variability in hole distance at a course. Some people may laugh at a hole that is only 243 feet, but when it is followed up by a 465, then I think it really adds to the design element. You have to approach each differently, and this is one of my favorite parts of the design of Chain Dragon. Additionally, there are a number of water holes, which are not necessarily long, but do provide a little apprehension when you step to the tee. The water is pretty clear, and it looks like some rakes have been provided to help you in the event of a lost disc. There are even a couple of wooded holes to keep things interesting, but the course is mostly open.
Cons: Natural Tees are a thorn in my flesh. I have bad ankles from years of basketball and baseball. Additionally, I have a surgically repaired knee stemming from ACL reconstruction a few years ago. I need a solid footing in order to play well. I completely understand that concrete is likely not an option due to the terrain, but if I count off one course for it, I have to be consistent. This is by no means the fault of the designers or locals who maintain the course. They do an excellent job from what I can tell. It just happens to be a matter of Floridian terrain.

The last few holes began to get a little redundant. It seems as though I was able to play a long gentle hyzer on most of the closing holes.

We had a little bit of difficulty locating Hole 1. We found Hole 6 and saw 5's basket, so we parked there and began the round. After 18, we had a decent idea of where 1 was, so we scoped around until we found it. No big deal, just a small issue. For reference, the course begins at the heart of the park around all of the other activities. Disc golf has trained to look for courses to begin on the outskirts of parks, but I was wrong on this one.

Fire Ants…beware…

Goose Poop….also beware…

Athletic fields came into play on a few holes, especially the softball fields. One of the early holes is rather close to a tennis court.
Other Thoughts: The natural tees are in good condition as of when I played. (late November) The course is new, and I hope that ruts do not develop in the pads. This may be the positive aspect of the terrain in that sand and loose dirt are relatively easy to smooth.

The park was a little difficult to find, but we managed ok. There is actually a large residential development which seems to be springing up around the park. It would be cool to live within walking distance of a community park that had a disc golf course.

Bathrooms in the park facility were open and in above average condition for typical park bathrooms. There is a playground, basketball and tennis courts, along with the athletic fields mentioned above. Overall, this is a very nice recreational complex.

Didn't see any gators in the water. They may not even be in this area, but I am always petrified that I might run into one.

All in all, Chain Dragon is a good course. If you're in the area, definitely give it a chance. Many people vacation in Panama City, and this is the best course in that general area. The design of the course is about a 3.5 in my book and is definitely the strength of the course. There are some very cool holes at Chain Dragon. However, just a few too many cons to maintain that score for me.

Fun stretch of holes

1    9/13/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - Holes 9-12. This stretch of holes is a lot of fun. Great tee shots across, or around, water.
- Well kept course with a good mix of wooded, open, and water holes.
- Quite a few ace runs.
Cons: - Starting hole is not conveniently located or easy to find.
- Path to a couple of holes not clearly defined.
- There is a hole with an O.B. where there is a possibility of aligator attack.
- Not much elevation change.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play through quickly and try to get an ace. Lots of tough shots and tricky OB's. I typically like more remote courses and this one was in a community park, on a limited amount of land, although the space is used very well.

Fun, easy course

1    6/23/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- Very nice park with a ton of other things to do
- Water was in play, but not too hard to avoid
- Bamboo poles with hooks near water hazards
- Somewhat challenging but not daunting
Cons:
- Flat
- Too close to ball fields, tennis courts, shuffleboard, etc.
- Murky water, hard to find discs, even with poles
This was a fun little course to play while on vacation in Florida. The park was technically closed when we got there with inmates working, but we played anyways without any problems. #9 was memorable because it was very hot and the sprinklers were on, forcing us to run through them to get from the tee box to the basket.

Great addition to the Panhandle

2-4    5/14/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: There are not that many courses in the panhandle around Tallahassee. So, this course is very welcome. There are eighteen holes that require a player to be able to shape shots in order to score. While there are seven holes that bring water into play, the water is really more in your head than a tactical concern. The longest water hole only requires a drive of around 260' to carry the water. Even on this hole, there is a bail out to the left so if you are a beginner you don't have to loose a disc. I am an 860 player (good recreational, bottom end intermediate) and I really thought the water added some challenge without forcing me to constantly have to bail out (as I only drive 250-275' on average). I went for all seven water holes on both rounds I played and never lost a disc although one got wet and two skipped right at the edge of the water onto dry land. Also the facilities at the Freeport Regional Sports Complex are new and all the bathrooms and facilities were clean (even my wife didn't mind the bathrooms).
Cons: There are no tee pads and the signs were drawn on a wood placards with sharpie (but I understand new signs are coming). The course also is pretty short and only one hole is over 400'. There are a lot of drives over and around cart paths that are in bounds so it can be a little hard on some discs. There also is a big gap between two holes that requires quite a hike (I can't remember which holes).
Other Thoughts: ChainDragon is a short 18-hole course that requires some control and finesse to score. A solid intermediate player should shoot under par on this course without too much trouble. I also love that the designer used the water more to intimidate that really to punish a player. Most people can't afford to lose $14 star plastic discs, so even a weenie arm like me can "go for it" and still stay dry; unless it is way off line. This course is really neat and I enjoyed it immensely. If the course had concrete tee pads and better signs (mainly tee pads), I would give it 4 stars.