Freeport, FL
ChainDragon Share
Uploaded By: 420DiscClub Hole #12 (Taken 2/2011)
Hole #12 Mid-Fairway

Snakes

5+    3/31/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: westflagator
This review was updated on 4/26/2013
Pros: ..............................................................................................................................................
Cons: ...............................................................................................

Great Vacation Course

5+    3/12/2012   3/12/2012
Review By: bluedodger
Pros: Fun factor! While this course may not be pro level or very long, many of the shots are interesting and challenging. The water shots are a blast, a couple great corridor-type shots, and some difficult mandos make this course a good time for any level player.
Cons: Some of the holes are a little short (150' range) and could be made longer. This course is on a sports complex which at times lends itself to close encounters with other park goers. Also most of the tee signs are gone, some local players have drawn a "map" on the posts but not all of them. There are also some odd tee placements (Ex: the tee for hole #5 is 20' past the basket for hole #18). Also the concrete tee pads (on the holes that have them) are pretty small.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while on vacation in Seacrest, Florida and I really enjoyed it. It provided plenty of fun for me and challenged me through the week to see how badly I could beat par. This course is good for what it is, a course to visit on vacation, but probably won't be a big attraction to serious/ top-level players. Nevertheless, you should definitely try it out if you're in the area!

Newer Park Course

1    11/18/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Chain Dragon is a new course so the baskets are in excellent condition. The park which houses the course seems to be very well-kept and neat. The design is fairly strong including various shot requirements. While it was definitely not a long course, there are some holes with length. I really look for variability in hole distance at a course. Some people may laugh at a hole that is only 243 feet, but when it is followed up by a 465, then I think it really adds to the design element. You have to approach each differently, and this is one of my favorite parts of the design of Chain Dragon. Additionally, there are a number of water holes, which are not necessarily long, but do provide a little apprehension when you step to the tee. The water is pretty clear, and it looks like some rakes have been provided to help you in the event of a lost disc. There are even a couple of wooded holes to keep things interesting, but the course is mostly open.
Cons: Natural Tees are a thorn in my flesh. I have bad ankles from years of basketball and baseball. Additionally, I have a surgically repaired knee stemming from ACL reconstruction a few years ago. I need a solid footing in order to play well. I completely understand that concrete is likely not an option due to the terrain, but if I count off one course for it, I have to be consistent. This is by no means the fault of the designers or locals who maintain the course. They do an excellent job from what I can tell. It just happens to be a matter of Floridian terrain.

The last few holes began to get a little redundant. It seems as though I was able to play a long gentle hyzer on most of the closing holes.

We had a little bit of difficulty locating Hole 1. We found Hole 6 and saw 5's basket, so we parked there and began the round. After 18, we had a decent idea of where 1 was, so we scoped around until we found it. No big deal, just a small issue. For reference, the course begins at the heart of the park around all of the other activities. Disc golf has trained to look for courses to begin on the outskirts of parks, but I was wrong on this one.

Fire Ants…beware…

Goose Poop….also beware…

Athletic fields came into play on a few holes, especially the softball fields. One of the early holes is rather close to a tennis court.
Other Thoughts: The natural tees are in good condition as of when I played. (late November) The course is new, and I hope that ruts do not develop in the pads. This may be the positive aspect of the terrain in that sand and loose dirt are relatively easy to smooth.

The park was a little difficult to find, but we managed ok. There is actually a large residential development which seems to be springing up around the park. It would be cool to live within walking distance of a community park that had a disc golf course.

Bathrooms in the park facility were open and in above average condition for typical park bathrooms. There is a playground, basketball and tennis courts, along with the athletic fields mentioned above. Overall, this is a very nice recreational complex.

Didn't see any gators in the water. They may not even be in this area, but I am always petrified that I might run into one.

All in all, Chain Dragon is a good course. If you're in the area, definitely give it a chance. Many people vacation in Panama City, and this is the best course in that general area. The design of the course is about a 3.5 in my book and is definitely the strength of the course. There are some very cool holes at Chain Dragon. However, just a few too many cons to maintain that score for me.

Fun stretch of holes

1    9/13/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - Holes 9-12. This stretch of holes is a lot of fun. Great tee shots across, or around, water.
- Well kept course with a good mix of wooded, open, and water holes.
- Quite a few ace runs.
Cons: - Starting hole is not conveniently located or easy to find.
- Path to a couple of holes not clearly defined.
- There is a hole with an O.B. where there is a possibility of aligator attack.
- Not much elevation change.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course to play through quickly and try to get an ace. Lots of tough shots and tricky OB's. I typically like more remote courses and this one was in a community park, on a limited amount of land, although the space is used very well.

Fun

5+    12/24/2011   12/25/2011
Review By: BertBlyleven
Pros: - Variety of holes: open, wooded, watered, short, long, L and R hooks, etc
- Many water holes
- Poles with hooks at all water holes
- Makes use of sidewalk for tee pads
- Well-maintained park
- Friendly locals
- Shuffleboard is an option
Cons: - Only a few concrete tee pads
- Concrete tee pads are too short
- Most holes are short, but are still interesting
- Many water holes
- Close to softball fields
- Heavily wooded O.B.
- Snakes
- Flow from 4 to 5 could be better
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't recommend playing this course without a floating driver, especially for beginners. Count on getting wet or digging through some bush when playing this course. There is a lot of water, and the woods is thick and thorny. This is a great course, my favorite over the other nearby course. Plenty of interesting holes that you won't see at other courses.

In the woods or in the water

2-4    11/5/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: flyingdisc
This review was updated on 11/15/2011
Pros: -Bathrooms are well kept and clean
-Poles for retrieving disc at water holes
-Nice park
-Friendly locals
-Some tee pads
-Well kept park and course
-Nice area for families
Cons: -Some holes have tee pads others do not
-No diagrams for basket placement per hole
-Longer holes would be nice, such as a par 4 or 5
Other Thoughts: Played two rounds at this course today. Only been playing for about five months so keep that in mind, I am no pro. Really enjoyed this course today. Weather was terrific, little cool this morning and wind did come into play most of the day. Good shade on most of the course, some holes are directly in the sun.The course outlines the park which has a soccer field, softball, tennis courts, and even shuffle board. Bathrooms are ecofriendly and clean. People walking on the walking track should not be a problem as we did not see any. First hole you are throwing into trees, but this is also the shortest hole. Still possible to get a birdie. The entire course is a par three which is great, but wouldn't mind seeing a good hole that was a par 4 or 5 distance. Had a chance to use all of my discs with different ranges. Nice quiet area to play. Hole five, I believe, was the only tricky hole to really find as it was past 18 on the opposite side of the road past hole four. I think this site is excellent for posting pictures of each hole, if people want to post them, and I think it may be a good idea to take a look at them before you play a new course. The water play was actually fun and a little intimidating and for beginners such as I, I would reccomend buying a floater before you play. Yes we did loose a disc on one of the water holes as the pole could not reach it, not to mention once the disc goes in the water it will disappear in the grassy bottom. As I mention some holes had tee pads some did not, so look for wooden blocks to show launch spot and hole number. There is some thick brush to loose a disc on so be mindful of where you disc may go especially on fades. Really enjoyed this course and look forward to playing it again soon.

growing up

5+    8/31/2011   8/31/2011
Review By: DiscWrangler1
Pros: -course is kept up weekly by inmates as far as the landscaping(mostly a.m. on week days)
-fresh new DGA baskets
-low traffic on course
-killer water holes
-hardly any canopy
Cons: -Its a new "growing" course
-10 holes w/o paved pads
-#5 moved across road so you have to cross 4x total(could be reconfigured to flow better)
-some slithering wildlife in warm months
Other Thoughts: #1 is located directly north of the basketball & tennis courts. Follow the paint on the baskets to next hole. Tons of potential!!

Great park, awesome course!

1    7/8/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: mandoman420
Pros: The layout of this course is excellent in that the basket placement on the holes are challenging, but not impossible. Most holes are very intimidating, but very manageable at an intermediate level. The use of the many ponds in the play of the holes is brilliant, and makes for a very fun course! The park is very well maintained and is very nice. All ponds have a long courtesy bamboo pole with a metal hook on the end to help retrieve a disc if one goes in.
Cons: Playing around other sporting events, such as tee-ball and tennis could be challenging. In fact hole #8 is totally closed during tee-ball games, so you would have to skip that one if you show up during a game.
Other Thoughts: Overall a very fun course that requires skill and good disc placement. I would definitely recommend stopping by to play this one if you are in the area. If you are a beginner, bring a floating disc!

Fun, easy course

1    6/23/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- Very nice park with a ton of other things to do
- Water was in play, but not too hard to avoid
- Bamboo poles with hooks near water hazards
- Somewhat challenging but not daunting
Cons:
- Flat
- Too close to ball fields, tennis courts, shuffleboard, etc.
- Murky water, hard to find discs, even with poles
This was a fun little course to play while on vacation in Florida. The park was technically closed when we got there with inmates working, but we played anyways without any problems. #9 was memorable because it was very hot and the sprinklers were on, forcing us to run through them to get from the tee box to the basket.

Great addition to the Panhandle

2-4    5/14/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: There are not that many courses in the panhandle around Tallahassee. So, this course is very welcome. There are eighteen holes that require a player to be able to shape shots in order to score. While there are seven holes that bring water into play, the water is really more in your head than a tactical concern. The longest water hole only requires a drive of around 260' to carry the water. Even on this hole, there is a bail out to the left so if you are a beginner you don't have to loose a disc. I am an 860 player (good recreational, bottom end intermediate) and I really thought the water added some challenge without forcing me to constantly have to bail out (as I only drive 250-275' on average). I went for all seven water holes on both rounds I played and never lost a disc although one got wet and two skipped right at the edge of the water onto dry land. Also the facilities at the Freeport Regional Sports Complex are new and all the bathrooms and facilities were clean (even my wife didn't mind the bathrooms).
Cons: There are no tee pads and the signs were drawn on a wood placards with sharpie (but I understand new signs are coming). The course also is pretty short and only one hole is over 400'. There are a lot of drives over and around cart paths that are in bounds so it can be a little hard on some discs. There also is a big gap between two holes that requires quite a hike (I can't remember which holes).
Other Thoughts: ChainDragon is a short 18-hole course that requires some control and finesse to score. A solid intermediate player should shoot under par on this course without too much trouble. I also love that the designer used the water more to intimidate that really to punish a player. Most people can't afford to lose $14 star plastic discs, so even a weenie arm like me can "go for it" and still stay dry; unless it is way off line. This course is really neat and I enjoyed it immensely. If the course had concrete tee pads and better signs (mainly tee pads), I would give it 4 stars.