Course Extinct
Austin (Wells Branch), TX
Wells Branch Park - Old Layout II Share
Uploaded By: skoofer Hole #16 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 223ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Fun, IF you have a map

1    5/21/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 9/3/2012
Pros: The course provides a reasonable challenge for players of all abilities. The holes are all short to medium length par 3's, but do have some variety. The shot shapes are well balanced and the creek comes into play on many, requiring accuracy and touch.

The schule is very light and the chances of losing a disc are slim.
Cons: Without a map, navigating this course can be very frustrating. The course requires crossing a busy road twice.

Holes 5-15 have only dirt tees marked with orange flags. The routing is not intuitive and there are no "next tee" signs.

Holes 5 and 6 cross each other. Tee shots on hole 8 can end up on hole 9's tee pad. Tee shots on hole 4 can wind up near hole 16's basket.

The course runs along a walking/biking trail that is heavily traveled. Holes 5, 14, and 15 are particularly dangerous.
Other Thoughts: Don't be a dirty discer; leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

To read about my review philosophy check out the other info section on my profile.

Not "1st-timer" friendly.

1    12/27/2011   12/27/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: This is an easily found course. Not too far off the highway and simple to get too. The course is in a public park with a running trail going through it. Excellent water hazard (creek) that comes into play on almost every hole. Moderately hilly (most holes have slight elevation changes or hills). First and last holes have teesigns with distances and maps.
Cons: This course was very frustrating for my friend and me on our first day. First holes started out easy to find but distances were kept in yards and were all very short. You have to cross a street by underpass but its faster to cross busy Wells Branch. The teesign for 5 leads you to believe you need to throw over the road. Once you cross the street all hell begins. Teesigns are replaced with flags and small rocks. It is difficult to find the next tee and sometimes even basket. We were capable of finding a couple. We made it through 7 but we spent so much time trying to find 8,9, and even 10 that we called it a day. I think the course was designed poorly. Too hard to find holes and you are constantly back-tracking and retracing your steps (keep in mind that it was our first time). A couple of baskets are place way too close to each other and there arent teepads for the holes across Wells Branch.
Other Thoughts: Honestly its probably a great course. Its rated well and I believe it will live up to those expectations but for the traveling disc golfer it is no fun. If you live in the area get to know it but if you are passing through there are better places to spend your time. North Town across the highway for instance.

Disclaimer- I don't write long reviews because I don't like reading them. I hope you find this helpful.