Dexter, OR
Dexter Park DGC Share

Great fun just outside of Eugene

1    2/2/2013   2/4/2013
Review By: reed2020
Pros: Great tee pads and signs. There are are a variety of shots with great elevation changes. The course was clean and the locals were quite helpful. Takes you out in open fields and deep into some tight woods. Everything you would want from an Oregon course.
Cons: There were spots that were very marshy and wet, but that is what you get when you play in February. There were a couple of holes that had intersecting or very close fairways. On those holes I had discs land fairly close to my group as we were teeing off. These cons are very minor things that came to mind.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course. Had everything I want out of a disc golf course. I had to use every type of shot I can throw. You open up with a big bomb on hole 1 and then you work your way down into the woods where it gets tight. Hit the windows and you are sitting pretty, but hit a tree early in the throw and you can be hating it. Don't forget to shoot the moon on hole 10.

A, Great, Go To!

5+    10/21/2012   10/31/2012
Review By: chrisbancroft
Pros: Wonderful variety of environments and shot requirements. Technical and beautiful. Great social atmosphere when busy.
Cons: Discs get lost, nothing new, however this course seems to have less and less "call backers" for found discs. Also they are planning to excavate all invasive flora with the exception of the savannah oaks, which means roughly 50-70% of dense nature will be gone in the next decade or so.
Other Thoughts: Dexter is my home course, since I've lived in Eugene for the last 5 years, and I rate it a 4 with minimal bias. I reserve the extra point for courses that provide a feeling of escape and retreat. However, in terms of technical approach shots, great scenery, and taking advantage of the environment, Dexter is in the top tier.

My 100th course

1    6/10/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Beautiful location right next to a lake
- Great variety of shots. Lefts, rights, straight ahead shots, up hills, and down hills, and even some that combined those shots.
- Concrete tee pads
- Clear well-made signs that include paths to both the positions, distances, and even the hole's name (a nice touch in my book)
- Multiple pin positions, many with quite a bit of difference between the shots needed to get to the hole. Some will change completely from being a left to a right between the A and B positions.
- Nice variety of holes that are tightly wooded and very technical and wide open holes where you can really chuck it.
- Lots of shaded areas, though there are some holes in the full sun
- Trash cans throughout the course
- Quite a few benches on the course (needed with the crowds)
- Huge parking lot
- Nearby Chevron has discs for sale
- Good mixture of hole distances from long stretch out your arm holes, to some nice short, very ace-able holes, without being too easy.
- Nice kiosk next to hole 1 with all kinds of info on it
- No real pedestrian traffic on the course, I guess there are lots of other places for them.
- Lake next to the course is probably really nice on a hot summer day
Cons: - Crowded. There were a lot of people playing the course when I was out there, some in big groups that wouldn't let us through, but many that were still kind enough to let us play through. (I was playing with just my friend Quinn and me)
- Not a lot of elevation change. I could see this being a plus for people that have a harder time with more extreme mountainous courses. There are a few holes where elevation change came into play, just not as much as I like.
- No real signature hole. All of the holes were fun, but none stick out in my mind as a hole that felt so completely different from any other hole in the 99 courses I had played before this one as to call it a signature hole.
- I don't know what the last guy was talking about when he said there were "not a lot of bugs", we were getting eaten alive by the mosquitos when we were out there.
- Poison Oak is all around on the wooded parts of this course
- If you don't know the course you might need to walk down the holes to see where the basket is
- Open holes are pretty un-interesting, with the exception of hole 1 throwing down to the lake
Other Thoughts: I had a little trouble deciding on what rating to give this course, because despite the fact that it is a well maintained very nice course, it's lacking that certain spark that really takes a course from a 4 to a 4.5 or 5. It is a fun course and I would recommend it to anyone traveling through the Eugene area, but when you stack it up against all the other courses that I have played, it doesn't reach the top 10. This is my # 2 course in Oregon right now, right behind Whistlers Bend, but I still haven't played Milo or Horning's, so you will have to take that with a grain of salt. The crowds can be a bit much, but as long as you have some time it can make it easier to follow a group and see where they are throwing to, so you don't have to go look for the basket.

5+    3/14/2012   3/16/2012
Review By: plastic cannon
Pros: -concrete pads
-pin positions good in all placements
-good mix of short and long holes
-technical, makes you think
-good quality baskets
-ample parking
-very pretty scenery
-bbq grills by lake on hole one
-brooms by most teepads
Cons: -recent tree falling has not been cleaned up
-tee pads can get very muddy in winter
-can get soupy in a few places
Other Thoughts: this is pretty much my home course and would recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge. most of the course is very technical. with that said though, there are a few longer, open holes. the locals are always friendly, and good etiquette is practiced to a T. this course will test every part of your game.

Enjoy the shade!

2-4    7/2/2011   7/7/2011
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The park sits on a beautiful piece of land overlooking a blue reservoir surrounded by hills. The course immediately plays down the wooded hillside and plays in and out of groves.

The course is pretty technical but not unfair. The gaps are there, but bad tee shots will leave you with bad options. The holes play a little long even if you wouldn't think so based on the distances. For instance, #10 is 201 feet uphill but is not a gimme par. The more open holes play long because, well, they are. The 18th hole is 500+ feet with nothing in your way but the view of the reservoir.

The signage is great, with distances and both positions shown. The artwork is unique (more of a painted head-on view rather than a bird's eye view), and I love the names for each hole. My favorite is Stairway to Eleven.

I don't know if there is a true signature hole, but I really like the aforementioned #10 and the downhill #3. It shouldn't be a tough hole to birdie, but the gap right off the tee can get in your head a bit.

I really like how cool it feels under the trees. And as a Midwesterner, I like that the bugs in this part of the country don't feel the need to bite you. They're nice that way.
Cons: Navigation here isn't bad, but there is one point where about four holes are in close proximity and it's not obvious which one is next (right after hole 3). Not a huge deal.

The holes along the hillside incorporate the elevation very nicely, but most of the course is pretty flat.

Although the scenery from holes #1 and #18 is great, they are pretty boring holes, just wide open grip-and-rip throws. I can't complain if only two holes are duds, though.

It would have been nice if the water were incorporated into the course, but I'm not sure if this was possible.
Other Thoughts: Check out the youtube video of Dave Feldberg playing here (and acing one of the holes). This is a pretty park that is used designed very well for disc golf. If you are on I-5, it's well worth your time to take a little detour.

A Wonderful Gem

2-4    7/5/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: First of all, the single best thing about this course is the sheer amount of "fun" factor the course has to offer to players of varying playing abilities.

There are a tremendous variety of hole designs. I was pleasantly surprised to see there are few uphill shots, holes with tight fairways, and few somewhat long holes. There are some dogleg shots that make it a bit more difficult for some people.

Another positive thing is that most, if not all, holes have signs which helps a player navigate the course. As I have said in my other reviews, the signage really does help aid in the course's playability. There were trash cans, benches, and "next tee" signs as well.
Cons: I think the biggest drawback there is about this course has to do with the baskets. They seemed old. I have had few putts being spit out by the baskets even thought I threw them dead-center. The biggest factor, however, is that the baskets doesn't have any color to them as some other courses have (i.e. yellow or orange "rims") to help you spot where the baskets are on the course. This is particularly significant for me on the holes where the baskets are hidden well into the trees.

I think it would be ideal if there were a way to incorporate second tee pad on each hole for more advanced players in addition to varying pin placements the course already have. For some advanced players, they may feel like the course is somewhat too easy, especially when the course has baskets set in the shorter placements.
Other Thoughts: The Dexter DGC is a wonderful course to enjoy for disc golfers of all skill levels. This is a course that Eugene-area residents can definitely enjoy on a regular basis. For the out-of-town players from Salem or Portland, I would recommend bringing a lunch, and try to stay around for at least couple of rounds.

With the shorter placements in play, there are certainly plenty of ace opportunities. I have almost gotten aces on hole #14. So, I think it's one of the reasons why this course is so appealing to so many people. There are simply plenty of ace opportunities here.

Eugene's Best

5+    5/8/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: warrenhol
Pros: Hard terrain for beginners. Heavily wooded through majority of the course with tight angles, tight windows, and precise shots. It really works your game in every way a course can. With the addition of the elevation changes on the course it becomes a full hike.
Cons: No fresh water on tap, overcrowded because Eugene refuses to let the DG community build another. There is nothing wrong at all with this course if it wasn't for the lack of other courses in the area. We need more
Other Thoughts: The views are epic, the weather always seems nicer, and the people are amazing. Check it out.

Dexter was FUN!

2-4    2/15/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: Au Gratin O'Brien
Pros: I visited a buddy of mine in Eugene OR for a week, and we probably played this course 4 days out of the 7 I was there. That said, I thought Dexter was awesome! Offered challenging shots and doesn't favor one type of throwing style. Friendly group of disc players around all the time (at least from my experience). Well taken care of, and it seems like they have the ambition to make it even better. Dexter is one of those courses that offers an array of holes from the challenging short wooded shots, the uphill and down hill shots, to the wide open bomb.
Cons: Hard to find some pin locations from the tee box, and I've seen better looking tee boxes (however these aren't bad, I'm just being picky).
Other Thoughts: Wish I could have played it in the spring/summer when all the foliage had grown in.

Dexter Park DGC

1    8/1/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 11/17/2011
Pros:
Dexter Park is an 18 disc golf course located south of Eugene in the beautiful city of Dexter along the reservoir. This scenic course is about 20 minutes off I-5 along the Willamette Highway, and well worth the drive! As soon as you pull up to the park you will find ample parking, along with a wooden kiosk near tee pad one indicating events, work parties, and local disc vendors. A warm up basket can be found off to the side of the first hole as well as picnic tables, garbage cans, and a restroom.

Designed in 2001, Dexter is yet another example of a pro caliber course in the beautiful state of Oregon. With breathtaking views from the start, this course challenges even the best of players, and rewards those who are accurate. Although some of the holes are wide open and present fewer obstacles, there are many more on the course that are tight and narrow, which add to the overall challenge. Each hole on the course is fair, well thought out, and include multiple pin positions which helps change it up for the locals. The course has huge cement tee pads, Mach 3 baskets, and informative tee signs to help with navigation. Holes are all par 3, and range anywhere from 201-525 feet. The designer of the course spent a lot of time incorporating doglegs, straight shots, low ceiling shots, and elevation, which allows for players to work on several skill sets rather than just a few.

Although there were several holes which stood out to me on the course, holes nine and ten were two of my favorite. I enjoyed the tight lines off the tee, with an elevated pin located on the side of a hill like hole nine or at the top on hole ten. With hole nine being longer and more technical, hole ten was a fairly short ace run that had my heart pumping the entire time. The fact that each hole on the course has a clever name on the tee sign was interesting as well!
Cons:
As many others have stated, I could not really find much wrong with Dexter. I did find myself having to walk down the fairways multiple times to find the pin location, but that was because it was my first time. I could see this not ever being a problem for locals, but first timers will not only need a map, but a clearer idea as to where to throw.

Hole #14 could be an issue as well for some, especially off the tee. With the hole running parallel with the highway, it was difficult to stay focused with cars zooming by as well as honking. So if you are a person that must have silence while teeing off, you might find yourself waiting for a while. It wasn't that bad, but for some it might be so just be aware.

Last, the course can sometimes get very crowded, especially in the summer or on the weekends. Honestly, this is both a pro and con. It is a pro and testament to how large the local club and disc golf scene is in the Eugene area, but also that it is so well designed that people are always coming back to play. It can also be a con because you will end up waiting a while on each hole and a round ends up taking much longer than expected. However, the people are so friendly that it usually isn't a problem to play on through.
Every year when I plan my road trip in the northwest I always end up with the same answer…Oregon. There are so many quality courses in such a small state and the parks department, local clubs, as well as other Oregonians seem to put so much love into the disc golf scene that it seems like a no brainer when choosing to travel here. I have played in 13 states and 3 countries and feel that the true love of the game can be found here. I feel very lucky to live so close to this state and am glad that over the years I have gotten the opportunity to play some of the best this state has to offer. Thank you for making me a better player and allowing me to truly understand what fantastic courses looks like.

Dexter On The Lake

2-4    7/22/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 9/15/2009
Pros: Located on a beautiful lake in the countryside, this park is a rather technical course that weaves through some rugged Doug Fir forest. You will begin on some open grass with a view of the lake (one of 4 such open holes which utilize this field). This section is the most bland part of the course and the only section which could use some improvement. Then it quickly pops into the woods for a real trial of accuracy and shot variety - rollers and tomahawks may be your friend here! Most of these holes are very unique from each other and will give you joy. The signs and tees are nice and have colorful names for all of the holes. Overall, this is a really fun and scenic challenge.
Cons: As described above, the open field shots are long, and 3 of the 4 lack much imagination or variety. One open field shot without obstacles is plenty.

A couple of the woody holes are practically a throw and pray scenario, especially "Pachinko Alley" which is so thick that it's crazy.
Other Thoughts: There are little magnets that inform you of which pin position is current. I did not notice them when I played, but am glad they have done this.

They sell discs at the Chevron just to the east of the park on the highway with a pretty decent selection!