Shelton, WA
Shelton Springs DGC Share
Uploaded By: KG_MCDGC Hole #2 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #2 Red Tee

Well worth the drive

1    3/8/2014   6/8/2014
Review By: b-mart
Pros: This course is just phenomenal. If it isn't a championship level course, then I don't know what is. There's very little repetition, the grounds are taken care of, the underbrush isn't a problem (unless you griplock 18), the baskets are in great condition, I didn't see vandalism on any of the signs, the signage was ample and extremely helpful, and it's the first course I've ever played that warranted a run-on sentence in my review.

The property here is used to its full potential. You have all kinds of shots. The only thing missing from the pro tees would be more open shots off the tee. There are plenty of places on this course to air one out, but almost every tee has a narrow window right off the bat. Hole 2 would be the one exception if I remember correctly (I waited too long to review this after playing it). I guess if you're good enough to handle the monstrous holes that make up the pro course then you're good enough to bomb a drive AND hit a tight line through some trees. I'm not good enough for either of those, but I enjoyed myself anyway.

There are multiple tees one can throw from. I never did see a "gold" tee as detailed on the signs, but the red and black ones were drastically different. There were times when a good drive (for me at least) would land beside the amateur tee, but the pars would still be identical. In other words, this course will challenge you. If it doesn't, then play from a different tee.

Bud Pell is the only other course I've been able to say this about: Bring all of your discs and all of your shots, because you're going to use them. You have right turning, left turning, wooded, open, guarded pins, visible pins, and everything else you can imagine with the exception of elevation change. You can't exactly fault the course design for that though. The land is pretty flat. The lines created more than make up for this though.
Cons: The cons are few and far between. The pro course will completely steamroll an am level player. I threw one of the highest scores of my life here, but that's not a con. That's proof that I'm not good enough to handle the pro tees yet. But I did par two of the par 5 holes (and really should have birdied 18 after barely missing eagle on it), and that alone made me feel good enough to call it a good day.

I'm not going to read back through my older reviews to see, but this might be the first time that my "pros" list has been significantly longer than my "cons" list.

What else? I guess it's a haul from Seattle, but if you have the time and energy to make a day of it, then do it. It will be well worth your time. So proximity to the city? Not really a con either. It is for me because I can't play it daily, but it certainly won't lower my course rating...
Other Thoughts: I don't really know Shelton. If you don't either, I highly recommend bringing snacks and plenty of water. You're going to want to play this one more than once if you have the time, and there don't seem to be any convenience stores in the immediate vicinity.

The local disc golf club is clearly very active with this course. Everything is in great shape, the trash was minimal, and the signage was legible. I guess I've gotten too used to sign vandalism and trash everywhere. We need more clubs like this so that we can play more courses like this. Go to Shelton. You won't regret it.

Best course in the area

2-4    9/27/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: PeterMonk
Pros: Great variety of shots you will use nearly all the disks in your bag and nearly ever type of shot.
Like how the underbrush is kept down, makes finding errant discs easier.
Nice concrete teepads for both am and pro tees. Oh and they are color coded.
Generally well maintained and interesting.
Cons: Flat course.
It is messy playing in the rain; constantly cleaning the disks.
Would like to get a map to the course.
Other Thoughts: Planning on making a monthly trip to Shelton to play the course provided the weather is good. It is a good measure of where I am as a player and what I need to work on.

Shelton is awesome

2-4    9/1/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: brandocommando9
Pros: Course is top notch beautifully taken care of and marked. Tee pads are big. There's lots of variety.
Cons: No water hazards and not a lot of elevation but I don't think these two things take away from how majestic this course is!

Best course in Northwest

5+    6/10/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: longandwrong
Pros: This is probably the best maintain course around. It is long (red pads) and really long (black pads). Pads are cement and the colors are red or black. Great signs, great trails, beautiful old growth forest with deer. Level course...no hills. Hole #11 has a 'boxed' area that you have to throw into or you take a drop and lose a stroke. Makes this Par 3 more technical that normal.
Cons: One porta potty at parking lot. Hole #3 has 3 pads...one red, two black. The furthest back black should be called gold. No locked drop box for trying to return a disc you find on the course. However you can take it to Olympic Disc Pro shop on south hill of Shelton.
Other Thoughts: Great disc shop south hill of Shelton in Carpet Store. This shop has a great selection of disc's at great prices!

Shelton Springs is amazing

2-4    3/30/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: jdinteg
Pros:
- Two different large concrete tee pads (Red/Black) make this play like two different courses
- Extremely well designed course
- Concrete tee signs with distances and lines
- large log benches at each tee pad
- Amazing scenery in the woods
- Great use of field to create tough cross wind shots
Cons:
- Long walk from parking lot. But you can now park on street
- That's it, tough to find anything wrong here
Other Thoughts: Easily the nicest course I have played in Washington. You have to play this course once, put it on your wish list!

The Break Down

5+    5/19/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: Skookum
Pros: Tees 5.0
36 5x12 Dyed launch pads surrounded by crushed rock.

Tee Signs 5.0
36 300lb Dyed plinths w/plexiglass covered full color 9"x11" vinyl.

Holes 4.5
Two unique layouts offering great variation. The Red course is fun with 6 par 4s. The Black course will make you a better player. No elevation to speak of but no real "throw away" holes almost balance that out.

Environment 4.5
Single use park with lots of space, you can be on the course and feel like the only one their even with 6-7 groups on the course. For being inside the city limits this course can make you feel like your much father out of town.

Amenities 3.5
Parking lot is a small hike, no bathrooms on the course itself only one in the parking lot. Nice metal trash can place around. Has some benches with more on the way.

Maintenance 5.0
Grass is always mowed, garbage picked up, logs and branches cuts and removed. This course is very playable and looks good all year.
Other Thoughts: If I was grading on a curve with other courses in Washington I would be temped to give a 5 because I believe that compared to the other 15-16 courses in the state in the same category (18 baskets and concrete tees) It is the best. But as this website is global I have to compare Springs to courses in Oregon or Texas I have played, it's still a great course but more like a 4.5 if Milo is a top 10 5.0 rated course.

great course

5+    4/4/2012   4/4/2012
Review By: All thumbs
Pros: This is my home course and I feel lucky to play such a fun and beautiful place. The local disc golf club is always making improvements. Ive played quit a few courses and this is by far one of the most well rounded.
Cons: Well marked,nice t-pads,great variety, and organized play direction.
Other Thoughts: No big elevation change.

Great course

2-4    4/14/2011   3/31/2012
Review By: cmoney49
Pros: Very nice course. Heavy woods and a good test of skills. Hole number 18 is a beast.
Cons: It was hard to find my way around the first time played.
Other Thoughts: If you are out there play it if you can. You won't be disappointed.

Sweet course

1    11/26/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: pkane@yahoo.com
Pros: Fantastic, really good job MCDG. I played it yesterday for the first time. Too long for me, but a good challenge, something to shoot for.
Now that Yauger park doesn't have baskets, Shelton is the closest place to play.
Cons: Signage a problem. I talked to an MCDG guy who was cleaning and he said that signs have been vandalized and ripped down, so that explains why there is less signage than we'd like.
Other Thoughts: Maybe we can think of some non-vandalizable forms of signage to help them out?

Shelton is Top Notch

5+    8/17/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: Potter
Pros: Beautiful tee pads are done on all black and red tees. Concrete tee signs are in with actual signs and distances coming soon on them, only temp signs on them for the moment. Plans are in the works to add alternate hole locations in addition to the two sets of tees. The MCDG group works very hard to keep this course in great shape and are trying to get it to be a premier location for disc golf in the state. I personally think it's already there. It is my favorite course I've played anywhere.
Cons: Just need to finish their plans to advance the course, but it's great as is too.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played this course, find time to do so, it is a great experience and the true advancement of disc golf in this country. Par 4s and 5s need to start showing up more in courses to make this sport continue to grow. This course has this and great par 3s and great distance. Come play SS!