Metairie, LA
Lafreniere Park Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #7 (Taken 8/2013)
Hole #7 Approach

Terrific Design Given the Park's Setting

1    4/22/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Lafreniere is sprawled out over a large city park that has a wide variety of other activities going on. There are a number of bathrooms, benches, trash cans and water fountains, as well as plenty of space for parking; so, all of your basic amenities are met. Located right off of highway 10 and within minutes of the airport makes for easy access.

I enjoyed my round at Lafreniere more than I thought I would, given its setting. I give credit to the course designer for utilizing the course's terrain and park setting to the absolute maximum potential. This is one of the best courses I have played in this regard. There are many holes that offer multiple lines either off the tee, for your upshot, or both (holes 2, 7, 8, 12, 22-24 do the best job of this and were my favorite holes). Holes 7-9 play on the most extreme elevation in the park, while 2-4 and multiple holes on the back 6 do a great job of using the minor elevation changes. Water is present on the original hole 1 (not sure if this is changed for good), 2, 4, and 5, giving more variety to the hole types and adding a nice dose of risk/reward type shots. Furthermore, there are a couples mandos and holes that use the sidewalks as O.B. My favorite stretch of holes on the course was 19-24, due to the slight rolling hills, multiple line options, and distance from other park activities.

The natural tees have markers to throw from and the tee signs and baskets are generally easy to spot being yellow and having hole numbers on them.

The park is beautifully maintained and the rough is very, very limited. This makes for a relatively stress-free round of having to search for discs (unless you go in the water).
Cons: -The least enjoyable factor of this course to me would have to be the amount of people that travel through many of the holes. Because the course is so spread out, it plays near many other activities and comes in close contact with paths and roads numerous times. While I was able to play through the entire course during my mid-afternoon round, I still had to wait a few times for people to pass through. It appears that people love to use the man-made hills on 7 and 9. I have also heard bad examples of interactions with park-users and times where people have camped out in the middle of a hole to relax.
-As I said previously, the course is very, very well designed given the topography, but holes do start to run together after awhile without a real drastic change. Looking back, none of the holes stand out to me as being a ton of fun or ones that I would want to play over and over. I would imagine that because of this, the course gets repetitive after playing it a couple times.
-A few holes are straight forward and simply open shots. Many holes are creative and thought-provoking, but when you have 24 holes on land like this, there is bound to be some boring holes.
-Very minor cons with the naturals tees and boring tee signs
Other Thoughts: Lafreniere is a more enjoyable round than first appearance, and I really appreciated its thoughtful, creative, and technical design in spite of its straight-forward park setting. More often than not, you will be thinking about your shots than just bombing a drive or easily laying up a shot. The fact that every hole is a par 3 also makes your round more interesting in trying to score birdies and fighting against scoring any bogies. This course is definitely above average due to its technicality and terrific design, but sits at a 3.0 without any real stand-out holes.

Crowded, but Enjoyable

2-4    4/9/2012   4/10/2012
Review By: hooked312
Pros: - With limited landscape there is a good mix of holes.
- Great use of the man-made lagoons to incorporate water into the course.
- Bathrooms and water fountains in the park.
- The Park seems to be very well maintained as there were crews out all over working on the grounds.
- Decent baskets, and hole signs with distance on them.
Cons: - As previously stated in other reviews this park is very popular for Non-DGers. There is a dog park and paths all over, so there is always lots of people to watch out for.
- Grass/Dirt tee pads. It is sometimes difficult to locate the small tee markers in the taller grass.
- The tee signs could have a little hole direction on them. Your first time out you need to go out of your way to figure out where the baskets are.
- The bulletin board with the course map is hard to find in this park, but it is close to shelter #3.
- After a few holes I found that the course could flow better. Some of the walks in between make sense, but other holes just seem out of place or even forced.
Other Thoughts: Even though the park can be very busy and difficult to navigate for first timers I found the course to be a fun challenge. I had to pull out a wide variety of shots from my bag, using almost every disc I brought.
I thought the water and the man-made hills were well used to add to the course layout and that and since the course was so well maintained it was a very comfortable round.

Final thought: not sure where the bunnies, roosters and strange ducks are from, but I thought it was fun to see them running wild in the park and I didn't mind them at all.

I am adding a course map to the pictures and some updated pics of the holes. I would take a picture of the map with you for your first time playing.