Metairie, LA
Lafreniere Park Share
Uploaded By: Qikly Hole #7 (Taken 8/2013)
Hole #7 Approach

One of the first ever!!

5+    4/20/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: NickRappazini
Pros: Signage ... Central course map and each hole and basket are marked +1

Tee pads, Baskets - Natural tee pads are ok, but some are short or thin. Baskets are all homemade, IF i didn't know when this course was installed, I'd complain, but I think It's a plus. +1

Water, Trash, Benches and restrooms. +5 Not many placed to deposit trash or to sit down.

Course design +.5 ... It's has and I assume always will change, but for the land it has, the hole are varied and challenging. Need an OUT and IN.
Cons: It's a multi-use park which will cause delays and distractions. -.5

There are minimal benches or trash cans along the way. -.5
Other Thoughts: I can't remember a *special* hole or anything to grant an extra point. It's history deserves a half a point. Go play this fun amazing course if you're in New Orleans for any reason.

Great Course - and Very Playable!

5+    11/23/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 7/20/2013
Pros: I'll reiterate what others have said: the strength of this course is its variety. In addition to sheer volume (24 holes), the course utilizes a variety of terrain, lines, and distances: tunnel shots, open drives, water holes, hills, winding tree-laden fairways, all ranging from 180' to 480'. There's a lot to like in that mix, and little to no repetition: I don't carry a lot of discs/molds, but I've had to pull out every disc I use on this course at one time or another. Because of all this variety, the course has great replay value, and presents a lot of opportunities to challenge your game in one way or another.

While elevation isn't up to northern standards, it's notably varied in relation to other courses in the area. There are some sloping greens, pins on a variety of hills from small to drastic, and at least one big rip from an elevated point (hole 7). It's nice to have to take elevation into consideration around here.

Creative tee placement makes for some challenging and interesting shots, especially from the gold tees.

While non-discgolf traffic is something of an issue (see below), it's important to note that holes 19-24 are situated off to the side in such a way so as to minimize this problem. This provides an option to play even on busier days (although admittedly you wouldn't want to come from afar for just these 6 holes).

Perfectly manicured and kept up. Gotta love the region's weather in the fall/winter, too. Bathrooms and water fountains are readily accessible.
Cons: As has been noted before, the primary drawback of this course is people: I've often had to skip one or more holes because someone was picnicking/throwing a football/etc in the midst of a hole. Personally, I haven't found this to be too much of a problem: with 24 holes, it's easy enough to skip a cluttered hole and find a stretch of open ones. Only about a third to half of the holes are positioned where park traffic may become an issue. So outside foot traffic has yet to be a noteworthy issue for me personally, although in the interest of full disclosure, since I live nearby, I don't feel the pressure to play a given hole on a given day, since I know I can always come back and try it again another day.

In summary: foot traffic is an issue, but it's never been anything that has detracted from my experience.

The yellow tee markers can be a little hard to find at times; not a big deal by any means, but there are a few holes where it takes a bit of looking to find where to tee off.

Navigating without a map can be difficult on your first visit. A simple look at a map can mitigate most of the problems, however.

I wish tee signs would have some sort of indication of where the basket is positioned. This would make finding the baskets on a few holes usefully easier. All they indicate is hole number and distance.

Baskets could be better, but they're serviceable.
Other Thoughts: Although they're presently unmarked on DGCR, this course contains beginner tees on many holes.

I'm a big fan of this course. As a New Orleans resident, I've played City Park many times, but had avoided this course because of the aforementioned foot traffic issues. Finally, as City Park became repetitive, I decided to throw caution to the wind and try out a new course. I'm very glad I did, as I actually prefer this course: it has way more variety than City Park. So if you're visiting the area and can only make it to one course, I'd recommend this one, especially if you can make it during less-frequented hours (i.e. the morning). Although they're close enough (5 miles or less apart) that you could easily hit both.

Alrighty then

1    6/19/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Notta bad little course! The elevation is used very well here and you notice it as soon as you drive into the park. Many of the holes have elevation used on the greens making your upshot and your putting game super important here to score well. The baskets are ok and there are natural tees on this course. There isnt a lot of water here but where it is, it is used to the maximum effect. The variety here is great too. There is just about any shot that you can think of and it doesnt favor a righty or lefty. There is also everything from wide open long holes to short tight ones andlong tight ones to short open ones. The park was very well taken care of. The grass was mowed, trees trimmed, and not any trash around at all. The fun factor was high for me because it didnt seem to have any repeat holes even though there were 24 holes to be played,
Cons: The park is VERY crowded with walkers, pets, kids, chickens, and everything else you can think of. (Yes, chickens!) The water that is there looks very nasty and Im sure that if you throw in it, it is gone FOREVER! Yellow dots marking the tees are hard to find on certain holes. Take a pic of the map or use the map on this site because for a first timer navigation can be a little tough. I used this one and it worked fine.
Other Thoughts: Super cool variety and fun course to play indeed. Stop by, its well worth the time, especially if they havent mowed City Park like when I was there. The course seems to drain very well because it rained a bunch when I was down there and rained like a monsoon the night before I played and didnt have any issues.

The Best New Orleans Has to Offer

1    4/28/2012   4/30/2012
Review By: srm_520
Pros: With 24 holes and clocking in at just over 7000', this is a great course with well-placed holes in a very popular park. There is just enough foliage variation, and pin placements on hills to make things interesting. Water also slightly plays in on holes #1, #4, and #5, but conservative play should keep you dry. If you do get wet - your disc is gone baby gone. Note that many holes have pin placements on a few big hills, which I'm a fan of and think is a positive when you can't get elevation play any other way.

The tee placements are easy to spot with bright yellow tee markers indicating hole number and relatively close distances, and the natural tee boxes are well maintained. The park itself has plenty of amenities to keep everyone happy, and the entire area is well maintained. Ultimately, this is what a person expects a city park course should to be. Finally, the distance is perfect for new players to grow on and just long enough to keep most rec. players interested.

BEST HOLE/S: #1, #9, & #15
Cons: In a park this nice, you wish the tee boxes would be concrete, and alternate tees for advanced players would be a great option to lengthen the course a bit. However, the biggest con is simply that this is a really nice and very popular park. Fortunately, many of the holes are well placed to minimize pedestrian encounters, but you're almost certain to play into picnickers and park goers on most days.

People that we played around were all courteous and looked like regulars who know the course is there, but be fair warned before heading out during peak hours. Also, Holes #19-#24 are bit out of the way and an afterthought to the first eighteen, but still a fun little six holes and worth the walk.

WORST HOLE/S: #11, #12, & #20
Other Thoughts: After looking at the current condition and layout of City Park, I'm surprised Lafreniere doesn't rank far ahead it in overall course quality. You have six extra holes, no course construction, and frankly it just feels safer than City Park. In reading some of the reviews about this course, I wasn't that excited, nor did I expect too much when coming here - but instead I walked away happy to experience this course. Bottom line is if you're in the Crescent City and can only hit one course - make this place you're first pick. It's busy, but great for a casual round.

Luxury in Lafreniere

2-4    3/20/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: Josh The Leech Long
Pros: I love this course. I think the 24 hole length makes for a killer experience. I also think that the grounds are well kept and the aesthetics of the course are phenomenal. As a beginner I felt like I was really challenged and although I shot 20 over par, I wanted to come back the very next day.

The elevation on some of the holes provided for an added challenge that I have yet to see in a course and the distances, which I believe are professional grade made me appreciate the use of a good flick.

In terms of professional grade play I believe that this course would be well suited to tournaments and that the hole distance, obstacles both natural and artificial, and the course length make for much fun.
Cons: People. People. People. Although I certainly understand the necessity of conserving space and sharing with others, there are a lot of times when there are children running around the hills. One basket is actually bordered by a playground. On several holes there is a high fence lining a row of houses. It is not that I think these ruin your day or even make the course unenjoyable but as a "newbie" I really felt pressured to hold back a little and play conservative.
Other Thoughts: This is only the second course I have ever played, the first being City Park in New Orleans. Comparatively there is no question that Lafreniere has the better design, yet there are several factors that could make or break your opinion of this park.