Richmond, VA
University of Richmond Share
Uploaded By: FredVegasDGC Hole #16 (Taken 5/2011)

Advanced woods course

5+    7/18/2015   7/18/2015
Review By: devil2RVA
Pros: Technical course; it will force you to throw different shots. Don't need a lot of distance to play here. Some beautifully designed holes that provide a nice variety of skill. Never crowded.
Cons: Trees. They are everywhere. I mean, 15 of the holes are in the forest. There is also a large walk between holes 2 and 3 that will lose players often (head toward the sorority houses, it's on the other side of that).
Other Thoughts: I would call UofR my home course despite Bryan being closer. UofR will require you to throw your discs in a different variety of ways. The tight fairways force you to be accurate, while curving your disc around trees will expand your abilities. No chance to really lose a disc with the exception of hole 12 (lake hole). Be mindful of people that could be walking on trails, especially on hole 11.

During the summer parking is not an issue. During the school year it is. You can get a free pass from the school for parking, or just go after 5. Usually no issue then.

Worst in Richmond Area

1    9/6/2014   11/20/2014
Review By: ericfriesr
Pros: Struggling on this section...let's see. Elevation. Has nice ups and downs.
Cons: No distance. Every basket is reachable with a putter.
Overgrown fairways. A few blind shots. Hole 1 is gone because the made soccer fields where it sat. Dense with thorns and shrubs.
Other Thoughts: Worst course in Richmond. It's simply not all. I live 10 minutes away and will never return. Gillies is short but fun. Bryan is long and open. Dorey is long and tight. UofR is crap.

Nice course, worth checking out

5+    8/21/2014   8/25/2014
Review By: HannibalRex
Pros: Challenging, but there's a few "easy" ones. Mixed distance, mostly what I'd call short, but there's also a few that will show you just how much umpf you have in your arm. Very technical, good place to "break in" new discs. You might learn a few new cuss words. Never crowded, I rarely see other people playing. Absolutely beautiful views and nice wondering trails near the lake.
Cons: Not maintained often, so can be times the course is just thick and full of poison ivy, thorns, etc. This is all typical VA foliage though, I don't know that any other course this tight and technical (sic "woodsy") is any different. You might learn a few new cuss words. With the construction, and change up of the pins, can be a little tricky in places for a first timer to navigate, highly recommend printing the guide. If it's summer, and the course hasn't been trimmed lately, you're likely to loose a disc or two, be sure to know where you're trowing or use a spotter. #4 can be hard to find, you have to hike across the street and behind the cottage building(s). And I can't lie, it's a BIT**, it's down a hill, hard right, and surrounded by an un-holy terrain that will NOT give up a disc. I've found all that I've lost there, but usually a couple of months or weeks after I lost it and the foliage dies back some. #4 will make a preacher cuss.
Other Thoughts: They are still working on the campus, so #1 is still gone, not sure if it's coming back or what the plan is, but just note to start at what WAS #2, over by the field hockey field at the back of the parking lot. All in all, this is actually one of my more favorite courses in Richmond, and I think because the density seems to daunting that few play it or learn to enjoy it. All I can say about those that bitch about it be so rough is it's just a challenge, it will def present a good opportunity to beef up your mid game and accuracy. It's mostly shaded so you can play it about any time of day, even on stupid hot days because you're generally shaded. If you are familiar with Dunncroft on the west end, then I'd say this is like the older brother to Dunncroft and what a nice full, technical course looks like. It's not always perfect, and the construction on campus can make it a little pain in places, but I highly recommend finding out for yourself if you're able to get a chance to play this course. Disclaimer, I do work for UR, but this is not one of my most played or uber-favorite courses, but it's nice. I'd compare it to Dorey, maybe just a little more hills and a little tighter/technical. If you play this course and just hated it, then you might consider finding another sport that doesn't piss you off, I find this an enjoyable, quiet and relaxing course to play. I know I suck, so I don't expect to go out there and throw a Nate Doss type game, still better than sitting in an office or at home on the couch. The sign says they don't allow dogs, there's always people walking dogs, and I do take mine, generally they do need to be on leash, but I see no reason why a well behaved and controlled dog isn't really welcome here.

Date: 8/28/2014 Designer Response by: HB553
The course is changing with #2 becoming #1, and a new hole 11 added (ace run down hill). New map and tee signs and next tee signs should help.
New tee will be installed for 17.
Practice basket will be installed near the first tee.
Deep foliage left of existing #4 should be removed as well.

Wasted Potential

5+    4/17/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: bnbanbury
This review was updated on 7/25/2013
Pros: -There are several decent holes sprinkled throughout the property, particularly one that sits on a nice lake. The opening holes are at least playable without much overgrowth to fight.
Cons: -Brutal rough combined with overgrown fairways mean that lots of kicks end in a frustrating, thorny search that may or may nor return a disc.
Other Thoughts: I've played this, and every other course in the Richmond area, a number of times and this is the only one that I've never i had fun playing. The fairways in the woods are incredibly tight, not from design but because the course is not maintained and is heavily overgrown. When you kick off an early tree here you may find your disc and still come away wishing you hadn't bothered looking for it as the thorns and poison ivy are abundant. The distances listed on the signage can be wildly inaccurate (the first time i played the lake hole i must have launched my disc 75' out into the water based on the distance shown). This course could be nice if a bunch of work was put into in, right now there are too many good options in the Richmond area to spend time out here.

It could be great, with work

1    8/19/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: MrMax
Pros: The course directory has a large course map and has a list of DG rules making it inviting for new players. The first 3 holes and the last 2 holes are set right on the campus on beautifully manicured lawns, except one (17) whose tee pad was missing from construction. One of the lakeside baskets was really nice. The tee pads are 3/4" rubber matting, and I believe are post consumer recycled. The tee signs and baskets are in good condition and the signs are very helpful.
Cons: I though I was lost when I went to find hole 4. And then when I found it I couldn't believe my eyes. It's a short blind shot, dog leg right, down 2 graded 10' elevation drops. There was a slight dirt path through the middle about 5' wide which would technically be the fairway? Surrounding that were 4-5' tall weeds, briars, shrubs and vines. I kept thinking that I was seeing discs in the undergrowth, only to find that what I was seeing were Doritos bags, natty ice cans and Mtn dew bottles. We had to throw in turns, with on person standing at the edge of the second teir down to act as a spotter. Then we had to jump the creek bed where the bridge was out. Then we had to creep behind the tennis court on the hobo-esque dirt path (keep in mind, the beer bottles and Doritos) to find the next couple baskets. Finally, the course led back to a real path, with steps and benches (and a trash can) and there were a few decent woods baskets to enjoy. Following this were 2 lakeside baskets, the first of which paralleled a tributary stream surrounded by chest high briars on each side. I fought said briars viciously to reclaim my flick (I know, personal problem :) before completing the basket about 10' from the lakes edge. I got in and waded around the lake a little, since I was already wet from getting my flick out of the stream, I saw another Doritos bag that I thought was a disc in the shallows. The following basket doubled back, this time parallel to the road. 17 rejoined civilization, it did not have a tee pad or sign. 18 was beautiful, right by the entrance. So, 5 good baskets where everyone can see them and 13 misadventures in overgrowth and litter. I wish the school would pu a little effort into, essentially, finishing their course. They got the most visible ones done, so all the non-players can enjoy looking at them. Now it would be nice if they completed it so it can actually be used with previous jungle-exploration experience.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play this course again if they fixed it. I won't be going back again until they do (unless they pay me to bring my weed whacker and chainsaw)

Bob's back yard disc course...

1    8/11/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Jpcole9702
Pros: At some point there was a large amount of money poured into this course.
Cons: Where to begin: Missing signs, trash everywhere on the course, very difficult to actually find the course, new trees planted with no consideration of the course, hasn't been maintained in months, 500 foot blind par 3's, most holes are not labeled and are nearly impossible to see the pin, trails are non-existant in some places... i could keep going on and on...
Other Thoughts: Over all this course must have started with something really great in mind, but maybe a lack of use, or lack of maintenance or possibly multiple unknown reasons this course has fallen to the way-side. There was several times that even with a perfect throw, you may never see the disc again as it hasn't been maintained in several months. I felt like I was in someones personal back yard course with only a days worth of preparation used to build this course. Do not go here unless you are in need of some real disappointment!

All hyped up

1    6/30/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: We were definitely looking forward to playing this course after reading some of the reviews from some of the players who enjoyed the course. The course does have several unique shots making great use of elevation and the landscape. The signs are in great condition, for the holes that have them. And the tee pads were great.
Cons: The course is not well maintained. A couple of the holes were just plain un-playable unless you had a disc that you were just itching to lose. And speaking of itching, there is poison ivy/oak everywhere in the woods and some of it is just unavoidable, even in the "fairways." Several of the holes are missing tee pad signs which makes finding where the basket is a challenge, and where the next tee is even harder. It took some time finding some of the holes, and we never did find the pad for hole 17. Several of the holes, while the layout was nice, were just impossible with the trees and overgrowth.
Other Thoughts: The course has great potential, but unfortunately, just did not live up to the hype. And it is definitely not worth the poison ivy!

1    2/7/2012   4/7/2012
Review By: seanwrodgers
Pros: good mix of in the trees and some open holes; nice amount of trees as obstacles and uphill/downhill or blind shots.
Cons: oddly enough, the course needs to be played more to be better; lots of little twigs and branches in the way that wouldn't be there if it were played more; also there is some construction causing some temporary problems with some holes.

Beautiful Hike Through Too Many Trees

1    3/29/2012   3/29/2012
Review By: nevets4433
Pros: This is an absolutely beautiful course. The first few holes through the edge of campus and the alumni center are awesome. Other holes by the lake are also beautiful.

Lots of easygoing college kids nearby.

Nice walking trail through the course.

Course was made with the intent of being as eco-friendly as possible.

Great use of elevation changes to make a wide variety of approaches.

Great rubber tee mats! That is a real treat in the Richmond area.

Awesome hole signs with directions to the next tee (although the signs are funny...they show 1-4 trees per hole, whereas there isn't a hole out there between 4 and 17 with less than 100 trees in play).

Nice course map on the first tee. I would recommend downloading or printing a copy for your first round because some of the navigation is a bit difficult.
Cons: This place is simply too narrow. I know they wanted to conserve nature, but some of the holes are just ridiculously skinny.

17 tee box is not available due to construction.

Lots of OB on the first few holes. The parking lot is a bit too close for comfort.

Construction currently makes navigation a bit difficult.

The bridge between 4 and 5 is out...its a pretty big jump across the creek
Other Thoughts: This course could be awesome with a few tree trimmings. It is a course based solely on shot placement, but some of the holes are 95% luck. A little work on this course would make it great. As it stands, its just not that much fun for beginners as it is incredibly narrow and frustrating. I may return for a hike, but not to play disc golf.

Lots of the tees have trees just to the right of the tee box which are a bit of a problem for RHFH players.

1    8/15/2011   9/15/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: The entire University of Richmond was beautifully maintained. There were many fun holes. Most of the holes range between 250-300ft so it is beginner friendly but it still can be challenging with tightly wooded holes.

Other Pros:
- scenic lake scenes on some holes
- nice tee signs (with direction to next tee)
- elevation used
- spider logo on top of the basket looks great
Cons: The biggest con is when non-DG obstacles come into play. Please watch out for joggers, bikers, dog walkers, and cars. There are plenty of people around the area near the lake and most are not college students.

If you take a look at the map you will see where navigation issues will come into play. The tee signs will get you in the correct direction while you're on the course but a map in hand would be best.

Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised with this course and I think it compliments the other Richmond area courses very well.

I had a great time and I think the course will only become better with some more time to break in.