Salisbury, NC
Kelsey Scott Park Share
Uploaded By: scottlarson Hole #9 (Taken 11/2011)
3 / 376ft.   3 / 235ft.   3 / 315ft.   3 / 320ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #9 Gold "A" Tee

Yo Dawg....

1    6/3/2012   6/4/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - The highlight of this nine holer is that it gives you three different tee positions which are very different shots throughout the course. The alternate tees add difficulty and some character to what would be very short and very open shots from the main tees.

I actually think the alternate longer tees are meant in a way to be an optional back 9 but just play those.

You will need to be able to work the disc a bit to get close but even the harder tees aren't really hard. I'd say this course is an excellent place to learn the game or just get some practice in on driving your putters/mids and putting.

There isn't much in the park to work with and the designer squeezed shots out of every situation possible. There's more than a couple tee positions that looked great and required me to work my putter.

The flow of the course works well, it didn't feel awkward at any point.

There's a couple longer shots thrown in from the alternate tees that gives you chance to let a disc fly more than most 9'ers I've played.

Equipment - The tee signs are very visible so it's easy to find the tees even without a map. The baskets are old but I found no problem with them, they caught all of my putts.
Cons: Layout - The main tees are nothing but open short shots. I'd say about half of the alternate tees don't make it much better. The course is in a way kind of strewn a long the edge of the park because that's where the trees are. It works but makes everything kind of crammed in.

Only a couple of the greens and basket positions had anything near them to create challenge.

Most of the course is flat and the one area where there is elevation isn't much.

Not much difficulty here for more experienced players, it's really just a practice course or a place for new players to learn.

Equipment - No pads although I don't see a point in installing any.

Atmosphere - Yeah.. it's in the ghetto. There are ghetto happenings going on here. I kept an eye on my car the entire time. It's probably a good place to learn disc golf but a bad place to be associated with disc golf.

The park itself is an older park and not much for looks. You're playing along the edge around the basketball court and parking lot.
Other Thoughts: I don't live there so I wouldn't play here again even though the layout itself was done well with what there is to work with.

If I did live there I could see myself going out there for some putter rounds... or to build my ace count.

There was couple of memorable holes. I think #3 or 12a/12b.. whichever one is an anny shot over the leaning tree. Then the big downhill optional shots on #9 were really fun.

Short

2-4    1/15/2009   1/15/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
This review was updated on 3/1/2010
Pros: Multiple Tees gives this nine hole course a variety of shots. Good use of OB and elevation. Porta-Johns and a Bulletin board that provided scorecards for the course.
Cons: The course can be tricky to navigate the first time. All the holes are fairly open, not a very technical course.
Other Thoughts: Although a short course it was enjoyable to play. If your from the area I would suggest stopping by to play it if you haven't. Probably not a course your going to want to drive very far to play however.

Good course, bad area

2-4    1/14/2009   1/14/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: This is a good course for novice players, though the gold tees do add a challenge for players with experience. The park has a playground, some benches, porta johns at hole 1. It loops back to the parking lot. When all the tees are combined it offers you the chance to play 27 different holes. The golds have multiple options on 1 and 9. Easy to navigate. If you download the map, the tees, even the gold ones, are easy to find. The tee signs are on the whites, but if you read the map blue and gold are easy to find.
Cons: This course isn't in the best part of town. I had one guy step off the road and walk toward me. He only turned away when I grabbed my bag by the strap like I was ready to whack him with it. One car pulled in and parked next to my car, the only one in the lot, with 3 guys in it...they just sat there and watched me, they eventually drove away. As I was on 9 a guy walked down the greenway and just stopped short of me and stood there and watched me. When you are between 4 and 5 you can see gang symbols painted on the underpass. I add this so people know, I will not play here again unless I have someone with me.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play this course again, with friends or local players. The kiosk had info on a local club, I hope there is enough interest there to get players in the park often enough to steer the people who shouldn't be there away. Minus the bad elements, this cousre can go a long way in teaching new players the shots required to play the game without having to worry about having a big arm.

Good place to start

5+    10/31/2008   10/31/2008
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 8/13/2010
Pros: There are 9 holes and 4 sets of tees for each hole. White tees are very easy and are marked by a blue pole. The blue tees are a little tougher but all but 1 of the holes is still in the open. The first set of golds is a mix of turnover shots out of the woods and long distance drives. Just recently they installed another set of gold tees, Not sure if the color will change or not.
Cons: If you don't know where the tees are you will never find them. The new set of gold tees feels like a long drive contest. The course doesn't really make you work on accuracy as pretty much every hole is wide open.
Other Thoughts: They did the best that they could with the resources that they had. If this course was not there I would have never played disc golf so I am really glad that they built it however it is probably not worth the drive if you are not local. If you are local then you can definately have a good time playing, if you go on the weekend hopefully you will find another disc golfer there who can show you the tees. Don't forget though Fox Chase is about a half hour down the road too!

I went back and played a round at this park tuesday. This park has a lot of value for disc golfers in this area. I play a lot of wooded courses where you make your decisions based on how you are going to hit your line. Kelsey Scott gives you the chance to pick your shots based on distance. The few trees that they do have will force you to throw a line drive shot to avoid the foilage. I played with a friend playing the yellow and gold tees and had a good time. It is nice to be able to get in a quick round everyonce in a while. Not every course that you play has to be as sadistic as Nevin or Renny!