Salisbury, NC
Kelsey Scott Park Share
Uploaded By: scottlarson Hole #6 (Taken 11/2011)
3 / 212ft.   3 / 142ft.   3 / 142ft.   3 / 268ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Gold "A" Tee

1 2 Next >
  5 Minutes from My House

5+    6/22/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: filmflicker
Pros: Nice course for beginners to hone their skills.
Great practice for your midrange game.
Three tees for each hole. Yellow, Blue and White.
Last hole is a fun downhill shot with woods on the right side, causing right handers to anny.
Cons: Blue and White tees are fairly simple.
No real challenges.
Im sure that the yellow tees would prove more difficult, but are hard to find. Had another local tell me where to find them today.
Other Thoughts: This is the course that I end up playing the most, for the simple fact that it is so close to my house. The is nothing too terribly difficult in the course if you play the blue or white tees. Have yet to play the yellow tees. Just found out where they were from another local. This course is good practice for your mid-range game, since almost all the holes are under 300 ft. Most of the holes are out in the open. There is one hole that the tee is in the woods you have to throw out of for the blue and white tees.

Fun, short course

1    11/29/2009   5/1/2009
Review By: jedwards
This review was updated on 11/30/2009
Pros: - Baskets - All baskets were intact as of May 2009 and in good condition.
- Tee Pads - Grass. Decent traction, some hard to find (yellow pads especially).
- Tee Signs/Maps/Markers - Tee signs at every white tee but only to designate which hole you are on. No map on tee signs. At the time of review there were no course maps on site. Markers were easy to find with printed map (in the Links/Files tab).
- General Course Design - In general, I would classify this as a strictly novice course. Definitely a "family" course or good starter course.
Cons: The white tees are not very challenging for anyone more than a beginner. As stated above, the yellow tees are quite hard to find. Without a map you would never even know they were there. With 2 sets of yellow it would be nice to know which are designated as "A", "B", etc.
Other Thoughts: I did not find the area to be "bad" whatsoever. The park was actually quite nice and well kept for a small community park. After reading the other reviews I was a little nervous about playing it by myself but that was quickly gone once I arrived. The white tees provide a fun course to practice your short game while the blue and yellow tees add a decent amount of difficulty.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

2-4    4/28/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Short

2-4    1/15/2009   1/15/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
This review was updated on 3/1/2010
Pros: Multiple Tees gives this nine hole course a variety of shots. Good use of OB and elevation. Porta-Johns and a Bulletin board that provided scorecards for the course.
Cons: The course can be tricky to navigate the first time. All the holes are fairly open, not a very technical course.
Other Thoughts: Although a short course it was enjoyable to play. If your from the area I would suggest stopping by to play it if you haven't. Probably not a course your going to want to drive very far to play however.

Good course, bad area

2-4    1/14/2009   1/14/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: This is a good course for novice players, though the gold tees do add a challenge for players with experience. The park has a playground, some benches, porta johns at hole 1. It loops back to the parking lot. When all the tees are combined it offers you the chance to play 27 different holes. The golds have multiple options on 1 and 9. Easy to navigate. If you download the map, the tees, even the gold ones, are easy to find. The tee signs are on the whites, but if you read the map blue and gold are easy to find.
Cons: This course isn't in the best part of town. I had one guy step off the road and walk toward me. He only turned away when I grabbed my bag by the strap like I was ready to whack him with it. One car pulled in and parked next to my car, the only one in the lot, with 3 guys in it...they just sat there and watched me, they eventually drove away. As I was on 9 a guy walked down the greenway and just stopped short of me and stood there and watched me. When you are between 4 and 5 you can see gang symbols painted on the underpass. I add this so people know, I will not play here again unless I have someone with me.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play this course again, with friends or local players. The kiosk had info on a local club, I hope there is enough interest there to get players in the park often enough to steer the people who shouldn't be there away. Minus the bad elements, this cousre can go a long way in teaching new players the shots required to play the game without having to worry about having a big arm.

Good place to start

5+    10/31/2008   10/31/2008
Review By: PanicKJ
This review was updated on 8/13/2010
Pros: There are 9 holes and 4 sets of tees for each hole. White tees are very easy and are marked by a blue pole. The blue tees are a little tougher but all but 1 of the holes is still in the open. The first set of golds is a mix of turnover shots out of the woods and long distance drives. Just recently they installed another set of gold tees, Not sure if the color will change or not.
Cons: If you don't know where the tees are you will never find them. The new set of gold tees feels like a long drive contest. The course doesn't really make you work on accuracy as pretty much every hole is wide open.
Other Thoughts: They did the best that they could with the resources that they had. If this course was not there I would have never played disc golf so I am really glad that they built it however it is probably not worth the drive if you are not local. If you are local then you can definately have a good time playing, if you go on the weekend hopefully you will find another disc golfer there who can show you the tees. Don't forget though Fox Chase is about a half hour down the road too!

I went back and played a round at this park tuesday. This park has a lot of value for disc golfers in this area. I play a lot of wooded courses where you make your decisions based on how you are going to hit your line. Kelsey Scott gives you the chance to pick your shots based on distance. The few trees that they do have will force you to throw a line drive shot to avoid the foilage. I played with a friend playing the yellow and gold tees and had a good time. It is nice to be able to get in a quick round everyonce in a while. Not every course that you play has to be as sadistic as Nevin or Renny!

All the locals have

8/6/2008   8/7/2008
Review By: Mystery
Pros: There is a mailbox with scorecards showing three sets of tees. The white tees are easy to find because the signs are located beside them. The tees are grassy and marked by round stones sunken in the ground and painted the appropriate color. Many of the blue tees can be seen due to the exposed ground contrasting against the grass. The signs were printed paper behind thin plastic mounted on metal poles. The baskets were old Innova Discatchers without the characteristic thick band. The wide open holes give players a chance to score low if they can place it close. Only one hole (#6) required you to throw down a fairway, but the basket was out in the open. Hole#8 is an uphill shot with the basket surrounded by trees. The scorecard says it is 220, but it actually looks longer than that from the blue tee.The last hole is a 315ft downhill shot that was fun, but most of the course was too open.
Cons: I had a little trouble determining how to start on this course. It took a long time to find the blue tees for hole#1 and I never found a single yellow tee.Many of the signs showed signs of water damage and fading. Most holes were out in the open and only two were longer than 250ft from the blue tees. There was room to move some of the holes into the small amount of trees lining the side and rear of the park. #4 could have been moved to the left where a natural alley is formed between trees on the left and right. There is even a creek on that left side that could have added to the longest hole on the course. The basket for hole#7 was broken. The cage that forms the basket was on the ground underneath the chains.Baskets were placed beside trees with no impediment to the flight of the disc.
Other Thoughts: The message board at the first tee had a poster advertising the starting of a local club, but information was ripped off of the board. The park seemed to be clean, but judging from the surroundings it may not be in the best neighborhood. I am not sure if the disc golf community is appreciated by the neighboring community.

I updated the hole stats based on the scorecard that I kept.

1 2 Next >