7 Helpful / 0 Not
Not the original course.
Pros: The course is so overgrown that there is virtually no traffic at any given time.
Cons: The course is laid out on a large hill. Fairways overlap. Missing baskets, missing tees, missing signage. It's not maintained, see other thoughts for an explanation.
Other Thoughts: As the name implies, Fun Junktion is a park built by the city over an old section of a still active landfill. When the park was built, the city spent a ton of money to make it nice and it truly was. It had an artificial pond for swimming, nice playgrounds, paved walking trails, etc...The discgolf course, as you would expect surrounded the park. A couple of years after it was open, a severe hurricane knocked down most of the trees along the discgolf course making it unusable. The baskets were gathered up and relocated to another area; the hill. It seems that the placement was done without any thought of what would actually work. On top of that, the city has been running on a financial deficit and they have allowed the park to fall into disrepair, hence the missing tees, signs, and baskets mentioned in other reviews. (The park is even worse!) It looks like they only mow the disc golf course because the have to and they only mow the bare minimimum leaving 90% of the course to grow wild. Since they don't mow frequently, even the grass on the fairways is often shin deep. (Anything off the fairway is practically impassable!) Most of your time is spent searching the grass for your discs; even if it landed only a few feet off the fairway. Even though I live 15 minutes away from this course, I drive 45 minutes to a better park. (It's sad; really.)
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Good location, interesting variation in hole shots as well as medium length drives, nice disc catchers. Creative use of bends and surprisingly difficult wrapping drives. The park is fairly secluded, so there is no waiting.
Cons: There were no benches, no restrooms, no hole 8 at all, the tee boxes were poorly marked, two holes shared one catcher at a point, the course appeared to have no rhyme or reason to the tee placement. Several of the posts marking the location of the tee boxes where laying on the ground or the sign marking the the hole, gone all together. The brush around the course has been allowed to grow up vastly too high and several of the holes are located to the point where if the pin is overshot by 10 feet you are in thick, un-maneuverable brush.
Other Thoughts: This course has the potential to be quite enjoyable if it were played in the fall or winter, or if the grounds were kept a little better. The holes themselves do show some imagination and with some work, this would a nice course for a relaxed game.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: - Lots of variety: uphill, downhill, hyzer and anhyzer.
- Discatcher baskets, in great condition.
- Great for beginners up to advanced: The longest throw is about 230 feet. At first glance, this course seems extremely easy, but with all the rough and variety, it can be tricky with easy ace opportunities (#6, #9) up to technical tunnel shots (#12, #17).
- Very light traffic on the course. On most days, you will be the only one out there!
- Regular weekly tournaments played on Sundays.
- If you do run into anyone out here, the locals are always friendly and willing to play a round with you or show you around the course.
Cons: - Restrooms are located in the back of the park near the playground, a decent hike from the course.
- No benches or trash cans.
- Poison ivy, mosquitos, ticks, and the "rough" areas are VERY rough. Pretty easy to lose a disc if you're not prepared for it.
- Basket #8 is sitting in the shed behind the park office and no attempt to re-install has been made.
- Some fairways cross. With basket #8 missing, #1 and #8 currently share a basket. A lot of holes are close together, but with hardly anybody playing, there isn't much to worry about.
- Strong winds on the hill sometimes. I've had the wind carry a couple of drivers right off the course, across the creek and into EXTREME thorns.
- Fairway grass is usually cut regularly. However, if it's been rainy, they can't get the mowers up on the hill, as was the case this summer. At one point, the grass was waist high.
- There is a landfill and transfer station nearby. On hot days, it can be stinky on the back of the course.
Other Thoughts: - There is a unique geocache available on the course!
- Natural tee-pads only.
- This is such a big, primarily unused park, they could re-design the course and have a lot more variety and distance.
- The course is worth it if you're in the area. If you happen to be out at Farm Life in Williamston or Munden Point in Virginia Beach, consider making the drive.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: I got my 2nd ace ever on 8/3/11 on hole 6. Thats why this course got rated a 3, instead of a 2 :). Course has lots of ace runs. Great course for odyssey golf. I dont think it gets much traffic.
Cons: There are lots of cons. The layout could use some tweeking. Hole 8 is missing/stolen. Thick brush lines most fairways. Several holes have steep up hill/blind shots. We herd movment in the grass/brush and thought it was a rabbit or small animal. A 5-6 foot black snake jumped out next to me and my buddy. Brind your hiking shoes and water.
Other Thoughts: Im going to flag out the course on several holes next time we visit. Im going to leave the front seven hole alone. Hole 8 will shoot from 8s tee to ones basket. 9 will be flagged out and shooting blind over tha same area towards nine basket down hill. tens tee will be flagged out since its missing. Hole 15 and 17 also will also be flagged different. Hole 17 will be shortened and will cause you to be throwing close to the ledge down off to the left of the tee for 17. It was a great change of pace for me to play this course since all of the tidewater courses lack elveation
4 of 6 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Full 18-hole course.
Only course in the area.
Baskets were in good condition.
Cons: Missing 8th hole.
Tees are poorly made, just a small parking log to mark the spot if anything.
Lacked variety, most holes were just on top of the hill.
A large amount of thorns.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: There are many fun holes to play but I would really like to see most of the course redesigned.
There is a great use of the elevation. There is also a nice variety of right turning/ left turning and straight shots. The course is never crowded and is usually a ghost town. It's a nice beginner course because the holes are very short and it is mostly easy to navigate.
Cons: Unfortunately, I have many cons to list.
- tee areas have a toe board to trip over
- some tee areas extremely short and slanted
- 2 holes have NO tee
- cramped and crossing fairways
- single chain Discatchers
- par on the tee signs is way off
After hole #18, the path back to the parking area is the fairway for hole #1, which is a blind uphill shot, so please look out.
The basket for #8 is gone. #9 doesn't have a tee so the locals play from the #8 tee. #10 has no tee, so locals play #10 and #11 from 11's tee. #15's tee sign is not there but the toe board tee area is visible from14's basket.
There are no bathrooms, garbage cans, or benches near the course.
Other Thoughts: Park Hours: 10am-8pm Memorial Day- Labor Day 10am-5pm in Winter
After #4 go downhill to tee for #5. After 15 go downhill towards the road for the next tee. Those are the only tricky areas.
From Simpson Ditch Road turn onto Landfill Road (GPS takes you about a block short of the park.) Follow the road into the park and park near the pond and look for the Disc Golf sign.
I know I listed a lot of cons but I did enjoy about 5 holes alot. I spent along time saying " I wish they spread this out and used that area over there." There aren't any courses very close, this course is passable but not very good.
5 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.