Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: keith johnson Hole #5 (Taken 5/2015)
Hole #5 Long Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Must Play!

1    7/4/2015   7/15/2015
Review By: JBoggus75
Pros: Good layout
Multiple Tee Pads
Multiple Pin Locations
Mix of Shots
Hole 12
Other Thoughts: The best part of NGCT is it challenges your game in every single way. A lot of courses are very repetitive, but not this one. I loved the mix of wooded and open holes, the mix of long and short, and the great variety of shots needed. Hole 12 is one of my favorite holes ever just because it is so unique. If you're from Atlanta or in the area, you have to come out and play here. It's worth every bit of the $5 they charge as well!

Best I've played so far.

1    7/4/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: RobbieRob14
Pros: -Great baskets
-Nice mix of long and short holes
-Beautiful scenery
-Great layout
-Very well maintained
-2 tee pads on almost every hole
-Multiple pin locations
-Plenty of benches
-Next tee signs
-Chicken coop hole is one-of-a-kind
Cons: Make sure you are in shape. Not really a negative for myself, but I could assume it would cause some problems for some. Just be ready to do a lot of hiking!

As mentioned by others, there are a couple of "filler" holes, but they are all still challenging and fun!
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is the best course I've ever played, and I would HIGHLY recommend it! It is definitely worth the drive up from Atlanta to play! It has a nice mix of open and wooded, long and short, hyzer and anhyzer, whatever you are looking for!

I live 2 hours away, and I'm already looking forward to making it back down to play!

Doesn't Get Much Better

2-4    10/23/2014   10/23/2014
Review By: kasonmoody
Pros: - GREAT mix of both wooded and open.
- Super challenging.
- Super hilly, and it uses it to it's advantage. You have to know how your discs work uphill or downhill.
- Great mix of left and right dogleg type holes, you'll need an arsenal of throws to do well here.
- Well thought-out "greens," a ton of risk on many of the putts.
Cons: - Make sure you are in shape if you're gonna play this course. Wear hiking or train running shoes, or you will be miserable! SUPER hilly.
Other Thoughts: It doesn't get much better than this. The absolute best course I have ever played. So much variety, so many hills, so many good times.

Adventure Awaits

1    3/15/2014   3/16/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -Every hole shape imaginable is present at this course. Almost every hole forces you to sculpt a different line and requires you to be smart and skillful.
-Extremely challenging course and challenging hike to boot.
-Variety of tee types. Most are concrete, but a few are wooden slats that have surprisingly good grip.
-Innova DISCatcher baskets with double chains.
-The raised tees on several holes really helps to add an elevation challenge and "Top-of-the-world" type shots.
-The chicken coop hole is one of the most unique holes I have played.
-This course is not short on amenities as there are bathrooms at the office and custom wooden benches on almost every hole. There are also feed bags tied to trees next to several tee pads for you to put your trash.
-Navigation is pretty easy, especially with the course map on the back of the score card.
-Metal tee signs with maps are nice and informative.
Cons: -$5 Pay-to-play will be a deterrent for some.
-Distances marked on several holes seemed off (Some felt longer or shorter).
-I really felt like Hole 6 and 16 were both filler holes with their only purpose being to guide you to more interesting holes. Hole 6 is a long hole with an open field on the right and woods to your left. At 500 ft it turns sharply into the woods and up the hill. It just felt very bland and unnecessarily long. Hole 16 is a short uphill hole with wooden slat tee pads that point you straight at the hillside and seemed to be just a way to fill the space between hole 15's picturesque throw over the creek and through a semi-wooded field to an elevated pin and hole 17's tight, wooded, par 4 s-curve to a guarded pin.
Other Thoughts: Adventure awaits at North Georgia Canopy tours this course is off the beaten path and feels like it. Besides the hum of people doing the zip line course it is just you and nature. The positives here WAY outweigh the cons listed above and I consider this course in the top 3 of courses I have played (as indicated by my rating). So, if you're looking for a unique and challenging disc golf experience look no further than NGCT.

I left Lula with Georgia on my mind

1    12/31/2013   1/24/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Outstanding private course on a charming, out of the way resort that features zip lines, disc golf, and camping as the main attractions. Everything was well-maintained and in good shape.
Well thought out holes - challenging, but completely fair.
Elevation: Changes ranging from subtle to spectacular are used brilliantly to make this a particularly fun course to play. Comes into play off the tee, mid fairway, and on approaches/putts to keep you on your toes the entire round.
Variety: Encompasses all facets of the game, encouraging use of your entire shot-making repertoire. Mostly well-wooded with plenty of twists and turns over hill and dale, with a few where Big D is required for any hope of scoring well. Splendid combination of fairway shapes, tight lines, not so tight, a couple fairly open, creek in play, drop-offs, sloped greens, terrain changes, well-tucked and blind pin placements over nice mix of distances keeps you engaged on every single hole. Many holes have at least a couple of obvious lines and challenge decision making as much as shot making.
Fairly rewards shots which hold the fairway and punishes those that don't.
True par 4's and 5's, and well-placed pins that make you earn a par 3. No filler - every hole was interesting, and the course never felt repetitive.
Aesthetics: Picturesque fairways ramble up, down and all around this gorgeous property. Even if they don't like disc golf, your sig other will enjoy walking this course.
Memorable holes: Several... I loved 6, with the big open bomb off the tee to a well-guarded pin that's way uphill to the left of the fairway. Hole 3's a downhill Ace Run with the creek looming behind it. The Chicken Shack: the very definition of a tunnel shot receives bonus points for offering two different recipes for the Skip Ace: Original (off the ground) and Extra Crispy (off the ceiling)!
Equipment: some tees are grippy concrete, others are wooden platforms, but all were good. Good signage shows hole layout with distance, par, and use a clip or magnet to indicate current pin position. Yellow Discatchers are easy to see in the woods, and one or two blind placements use a flag to make them visible from the tee.
Dual tees to accommodate different skills levels go even further when combined with dual pin placements.
Camping onsite with a clean and modern bathhouse.
Cons: I'm struggling here. Most of what I've got are more FYI's than cons that actually detract from the course.
A couple of tees where a normal follow-through could be dangerous.
Rough: I played in winter when trees and shrubbery were naked, but there's no doubt in my mind the rough on some holes would be brutal in late spring or summer.
Not beginner friendly - most novices will likely get too frustrated to enjoy this gem.
Navigation: lucky enough to receive a guided tour from the course designer and paid far more attention to the scenery than how to get to the next hole. Overall flow was good, but I recall a several spots where getting to the next hole didn't seem obvious, and have a feeling I'd have spent more time than I wanted looking for the next tee. That said, I seen far, far worse. Map seems pretty accurate and I'm certain unguided visitors will be happy they printed it.
Other Thoughts: This is what happens when a good designer gets to work with a great piece of property. I defy you to play here and not think it's great. Everything is well-run from start to finish by an ownership/management that's socially and environmentally conscientious about doing the right things and providing a great experience for their clientele.

Interesting holes and varied terrain create a fun factor that's only enhanced by a vibe that's chill and secluded.

Playing any course for the first time, I typically walk away with a rating in mind. As I spent the night in my tent after playing here, I admit thinking briefly about a 5 (and can't fault anyone for doing so), but in my mind, if I have to think about it, then it ain't a 5. I try to be objective and focus on tangible items, but ultimately can't completely shake what comes down to a subjective, or "gut" feel when I finally land on a number. That said, I'd put this up with Moraine, the Jackson course at IDGC, and a few others that IMO fell just short for reasons I can't exactly put my finger on. Call it a 4.75, if you will.

Stay in your own tent for $20/night or bring some friends and rent a TeePee - either way you'll be glad you came.

Meaningless Title

1    12/8/2013   12/9/2013
Review By: hyzerfool
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: Pretty course
Lots of elevation change
Consistently fair fairways
Good tee pads
Course in near perfect shape when I played it
Cons: A few basket placements I didn't like
Lack of depth / subtlety
Other Thoughts: In general, I liked it. It was fun. Course was pretty. Fairways were fair. A couple places I thought green access was not very good, but in general not a big deal.

I played in December when the leaves were off the trees and rough was not a big deal.

My biggest issue was there were few (if any) holes where I had to make a choice. Overwhelmingly, it was, here's one shot, see if you can throw it. So it had a lot of moderately good holes.

I LOVE par 4's and 5's in general, but I don't think any of the ones out here were particularly special. None of them really made me evaluate different routes and tradeoffs (the old, "risk / reward"). It's possible that 5 & 6 will play that way when the trees grow up - I didn't look at the layout of the young trees to see if I thought I'd like it or not.

There are 2, 90-degree turn par 4's (holes 6 and 11, I believe). I inherently really dislike 90's, but these weren't terrible. On 6 we have a mainly mindless crush towards an invisible turn in the fairway. In both cases I would like to have a little bit more gradual of an angle into the approach to the basket. Opening the mouths of the gap up a bit would probably make me like them more. Both 6 and 11 have reasonably interesting approaches and greens.

*** EDIT ***
Keith made a good point to me the other day regarding the previous paragraph. When I say that I inherently really dislike 90's, I wasn't being clear. What I dislike are holes where the fairway turns 90 degrees and, to have a reasonable shot down the turned fairway, the disc must be exactly in a precise, small, landing area. I have no problem with faiways that turn 90 as long as there are shades of gray. As long as there are chances to get down it if the previous shot is less than perfect (though, ideally, the farther out of perfect you are, the harder the shot gets).

Holes 6 and 11 at Canopy are adequate in this regard, I think, though not spectacular. I would prefer a bit more angled opening into #6, if I remember right (though it's been 6 months since I played the course, now), especially since it's so hard to tell, from the tee, where the gap to the basket is. That said, you have the chance to throw your drive farther from the treeline and, thus, give yourself more of a chance at a good angle. If I remember right, #11 has some leeway on the angle if your first shot is long, which is nice.
*** END EDIT ***

I guess my best summary is that there weren't any holes that I loved, but I don't think there were any that I really disliked. For pin placements, I disliked #4's right side placement (on the hill) quite a bit and #16's right-side placement with the teeny tiny gap through the trees to it was annoying. But these are small things.

Most of the holes were average to above average holes and I enjoyed the course. I'm always happy to pay $5 for a course that's nicely maintained and I'll definitely be back to play it again.

I'll be back

1    9/29/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: Nice course that is well maintained as has been said by others. Some fairways are very open and some are very tight. Others are in between. Signage is good. People are friendly. There are uphill throws, level throws, and downhill throws. Playing the red Tees is a good intermediate to beginner course. Several of the holes are aceable for those that only throw 200 ft. Some of the holes are very long. For short throwers you may be over par before you ever see the basket. All in all a nice pleasant place to play and not too demanding or too easy. Water is mostly a non issue. It's a small shallow stream that won't sweep your disc into the Atlantic.
Cons: Signage is good but could be better. More signs directing players to the next T and numbers on the direction signs would help so players know they are walking to the correct T pad. This course does not require every throw in your bag. You can mostly get by with a straight throw or slight curve. Those fairways that do require a big curve are such that you will throw to the curve and then throw to the basket. Rarely will you curve it to the basket. If you have an errant throw you may end up in the "rough". The rough here can be very "rough". Underbrush is very thick and sometimes you have no choice but to just throw 15 ft. back into the fairway. It would be nice if the underbrush were cleared out somewhat but I know that would be a major undertaking as underbrush grows faster than one can clean it up. Finally, I think, #14 needs to have some trees cleared. It is just too narrow an S turn to not rely on a lot of luck.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the $5. I will return. Wear long pants as there is lots of poison ivy. Bug spray may be mandatory certain times of the year. That's not a knock on this course, that's just Georgia. I almost aced #8.

1    7/1/2013   7/19/2013
Review By: rphancock1
This review was updated on 8/3/2014
Pros: -well maintained
-nice clean multiple tees, often with brooms handy
-good intermediate course, with many holes being friendly to natural disc fade and pretty wide fairways on the wooded holes.
-very pretty, and quiet.. Except for kids on the zip line, which sounds fun. I was the only person playing on the Monday morning that I went.

Cons: -though I think this course is great for beginners/intermediate players, do be prepared to thrash through some heavy underbrush when you get off the fairway. Not a flaw in the course, but unpleasant..
-though there were some really fun holes to throw, but there were more that were unremarkable. I played from the longs and felt that a course considered to be a championship course should be more challenging and varied.
Other Thoughts: I did like the chicken shack hole way more than I thought I would. The sound of a disc flying inside a room is really interesting, and its a harder hole to birdie than I expected.

I was disappointed that the small pond behind hole 5 wasn't in play.. It's a perfect size for an easily clearable hazard that would totally change the feel of this part of the course. It would be great to tee off on hole 5 from behind the pond.. Much better than throwing across an open (for now, trees have been planted) field.

I did enjoy playing here, and the $5 fee is totally worth it. It just didn't really make me want to play a second round though, which is too bad, considering that it's pretty far out from the city.

Keith emailed me after my review and challenged me to play the course again as he felt I must have missed something by being a newer player. I was back in Atlanta visiting family and played the course twice more. I raised my rating because having played more courses in the past year I do appreciate the care given to the course. However, I definitely stand by my opinion that there is very little variety of shot required... Many other reviewers felt differently, but I don't see it. I threw a -3 from the long tees, and on 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,18 I threw a straight drive with the only variable being whether it was a putter (1,2,8) or a distance hyper flip (4,5,9,10,12,13,15,18) or a hyper flip that would fade a bit at the end (3,7). There's also elevation change on some of those holes, but the shots aren't remotely different enough to feel varied. Holes 6,11, and 17 stand out so much because they require precise disc placement and are more like putting golf shots together than throwing the obvious shot through the obvious clearing.

I did enjoy the course again, and will certainly be back.

And It Will Only Improve...

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: mullethead326
This review was updated on 5/20/2014
Pros: I have played this course several times on my own as well as in tournament and monthly doubles rounds. What impresses me the most is how fairly it plays. Although there are some long shots, control and placement, especially on the par 4/5s, is much more important.

The course is largely carved out of the woods, but the fairways are more than wide enough. If you do make a mistake, you're liable to pay for it, as the rough is thick in many places. Although there is a creek running through or by 4 holes, it's not a hazard so much as an accent to add to the mountain scenery.

Basket placements are thoughtful and challenging, with many on slopes or in a position where running a long putt could cost you.

The stories and obvious actions of how the course designer and property owners have worked together to improve elements of the course are nearly unheard of, like going from design to install in just a couple of months. When the creek (headwaters of the Oconee River) started to undercut hole 4, they put in a rubble wall to reinforce the bank, and built a solid bridge on hole 15 to eliminate a sketchy stream crossing. That kind of attention to the course should keep it in top shape for a long time.

The different pads and reasonable fairways accommodate a wide range of player skills and talents. The 5 wooden pads with a grippy coating were a really good decision and implementation. Signage is professional and adequate, especially if you have a map (on the scorecards) to accompany them.
Cons: I've never been thrilled with hole 3 from the short pad, as played during doubles and tournaments--it's really not much of a golf shot, and for players blue and above, isn't going to elicit a good scoring spread.

$5 greens fee/day, but I think this is offset by never having to wait on fairways to clear, the safety of a private course, and the responsiveness of NGCT to DG.

It's a haul to get there, and a ways from any other solid courses, so it's worth it to invest the whole day and play it multiple times instead of trying to fit in Toccoa or Central.

Now that the course is getting worked in, some of the steeper sections could use erosion control methods to slow down water flow and direct foot traffic to a particular path (perhaps steps or enhancing some switchbacks).

I don't have a problem with the thick brush off of fairways, since it encourages me to be inside the fairway, but there are numerous baskets where even inside of 20 feet there isn't a putt.
Other Thoughts: I haven't yet done the full teepee/zipline experience, but I can't imagine anything but a great time.

Highlight holes: 1 is a great starting hole, with the tee elevated above the basket into a tunnel shot. When the leaves are fully out, it's a great introduction to the course.

5/6: Back to back par 4 and 5s, in which you really get a chance to test your arm, then finesse your next shot or three. I really look forward to playing these when the newly planted trees and "river of mulch" are mature and separate the holes a little more. These two holes often play downwind/upwind.

11 is a tough par 4, in which the ideal landing zone is only about 20 feet in diameter, and the upshot isn't a gimme either. I would like to see the first LZ adjusted a little bit, such that it rewards a good first shot (instead of only perfect ones). This would be achieved by widening the entrance a little bit, but keeping the rest of the tunnel the same.

12, the Chicken Shack, is appropriately billed as the only one of its kind. It really reminds the thrower that a low, flat throw is a much more useful shot than flailing a high S-turn.

17. It took me 7-8 times through to find a good strategy for this hole, and it still requires great execution.

I learn something new to improve about my game every time I play this course, and it's one of only a few for which I'll rearrange a day to play. The rumored possibility of an additional 9 holes is about the only way I could improve it. Although this is a spectacular property for disc golf, DG isn't their primary activity or income--but I'd encourage you to visit to demonstrate our collective interest to the owners.

05/20/2014: I amended my rating from a 5 to a 4.5. The course hasn't really changed, but as I've played it more, I've grown disenchanted by the thick brush on some pin positions on several greens (7, 11, 16, 17 especially) within 15 feet of the basket. I feel that having privet and other immature growth that close to baskets is capricious and doesn't differentiate punishment between good and bad shots.

Luscious Lula.

2-4    3/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 2/1/2015
Pros: Variety, so much of it. Lefts and rights and ups and downs, excellent course flow that never feels monotonous in design, I can't recall anything I would consider a filler hole.

Amazing teepads that set up perfectly for two very fitting levels of challenge. The longs will fully test your abilities while the shorts will allow you to maybe have a slightly less frustrating time, if you're off your game, while still enjoying the astounding beauty this property has to offer!

The lodge has an incredibly friendly staff that remembered me by name after only encountering me in one previous interaction, that was awesome. Vending machines inside with nice tables to relax at and cool down, and the always great bonus of having a real bathroom.

Everything out here is fair, I never felt as if a hole had punished me on a good throw, all of my mistakes were my own, everything about this course is a true test of what you've learned, it's definitely not anywhere near the most punishing courses i've played, but it's also far, far from the easiest, amazingly balanced for all throwing styles.

A beautiful blend of open and wooded, including a couple that feel open while your throwing in the woods, which is an absolutely awesome feeling, one of my favorite hole types.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any real cons. This isn't the best course I've ever played, which may lead you to ask why I'm giving it a five.

I've had the opportunity to play two courses prior to this one that I consider a five, both extremely private and incredible, this course manages to achieve the same type of vibe and course feel that usually only comes in complete seclusion, which is definitely not an easy task. It does lack some of what I will call the "cool factor" that a Flyboy or Brackett's Bluff(OG layout) has but just barely, as far as the course goes, this is a 5 in my book.
Other Thoughts: I had been wanting to play this track for a long time. Keith Johnson had mentioned that he thought I may like it...many times. He was right. Keith did an absolutely amazing job on this property and a shoutout to anyone who helped him accomplish anything. This is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of Georgia Disc Golf. Please come play this course, after you play it once I'm relatively certain you'll be begging them to snap that Lincoln out of your hand.

I had to think on this for a bit as to what I was going to give it, as I was hovering in between a 4.5 and a 5, but the amount of fun you will have out here on this absolutely beautiful property deserves nothing but the highest marks in my eyes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4