Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: marc Hole #14 (Taken 10/2012)

Good

1    7/1/2013   7/19/2013
Review By: rphancock1
Pros: -well maintained
-nice clean multiple tees, often with brooms handy
-good intermediate course, with many holes being friendly to natural disc fade and pretty wide fairways on the wooded holes.
-very pretty, and quiet.. Except for kids on the zip line, which sounds fun. I was the only person playing on the Monday morning that I went.

Cons: -though I think this course is great for beginners/intermediate players, do be prepared to thrash through some heavy underbrush when you get off the fairway. Not a flaw in the course, but unpleasant..
-though there were some really fun holes to throw, but there were more that were unremarkable. I played from the longs and felt that a course considered to be a championship course should be more challenging and varied.
Other Thoughts: I did like the chicken shack hole way more than I thought I would. The sound of a disc flying inside a room is really interesting, and its a harder hole to birdie than I expected.

I was disappointed that the small pond behind hole 5 wasn't in play.. It's a perfect size for an easily clearable hazard that would totally change the feel of this part of the course. It would be great to tee off on hole 5 from behind the pond.. Much better than throwing across an open (for now, trees have been planted) field.

I did enjoy playing here, and the $5 fee is totally worth it. It just didn't really make me want to play a second round though, which is too bad, considering that it's pretty far out from the city.

North Georgia Gem

1    4/18/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: Finally…A course in Hall County! It's about time! I drove up from Savannah to visit my family in Gainesville and was really psyched to play this one. This course has potential to be a great. Friendly staff and a dedicated group of designers are pouring their hearts into it. Beautiful piece of property nestled in the N. GA mtns which is perfect for disc golf. Nice welcome center with tables, vending, and a cute girl working the desk is always a plus! Huge fun factor with good mix of open and wooded holes. Nice elevation on several holes, concrete tee pads (which the guys were pouring the last few) and decent signage. I cannot express how nice the property is. Nice little creek running through the property and zip liners cruising overhead as you play. Several challenging and fun shots, especially the chicken coop hole. I'm not a huge fan of gimmicky holes but this one was cool, different, and a perfect fit for Hall County, considering it's the poultry capital of the world. It's still rough around the edges but once the course is cleaned up a bit I think it will be awesome. I thought it was worth the five bucks and I hope they use their earnings to really "pimp out" the course. Discs are available to rent.
Cons: Like I said, it's still rough and in progress. It is so thick off the fairways that it took me several minutes to find my errant shots and I got hacked up pretty good going in to retrieve them. This also left little room for recovery shots. I pretty much had to just toss my disc in the fairway and take a stroke. My biggest criticism would be basket placement. A few baskets were surrounded by thick brush or backed right up to thick woods which made for tough birdie putts and did not reward parked drives. Give at least 20-30ft around the greens for birdie opportunities. I had several nice, parked drives that resulted in pars because of thick brush being within 10 feet of the basket. This left little reward for nice shots on these few holes and was a bit frustrating. There is red Georgia clay in many of the fairways and I can see it becoming pretty muddy and nasty. Some tees were elevated and constructed like small wooden docks. This didn't cause me any issues however I can see them being dangerous and injury prone when it's wet. A few holes need to opened up a bit and the crew seems responsive to suggestions. Tee signs are kinda weak but I'm sure will improve. The only difference between the rec and pro tees was distance. They poured the rec pads on the same line as the pro and just ahead of them. I think they should've consider different tee pad placement to add variety. Canopy tour staff said it was becoming a problem waiting on disc golfers to finish the course before they could go home for the day. They may impose tee times or a cutoff time for play.
Other Thoughts: Totally worth the five bucks and a great addition to the area. I was getting irritated to have to drive to Cumming to play Central park everytime I came home to visit. I hope this will help spawn more courses in the North GA area. We need one on Lake Lanier!