Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: marc Hole #4 (Taken 10/2012)

Meaningless Title

1    12/8/2013   12/9/2013
Review By: hyzerfool
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: Pretty course
Lots of elevation change
Consistently fair fairways
Good tee pads
Course in near perfect shape when I played it
Cons: A few basket placements I didn't like
Lack of depth / subtlety
Other Thoughts: In general, I liked it. It was fun. Course was pretty. Fairways were fair. A couple places I thought green access was not very good, but in general not a big deal.

I played in December when the leaves were off the trees and rough was not a big deal.

My biggest issue was there were few (if any) holes where I had to make a choice. Overwhelmingly, it was, here's one shot, see if you can throw it. So it had a lot of moderately good holes.

I LOVE par 4's and 5's in general, but I don't think any of the ones out here were particularly special. None of them really made me evaluate different routes and tradeoffs (the old, "risk / reward"). It's possible that 5 & 6 will play that way when the trees grow up - I didn't look at the layout of the young trees to see if I thought I'd like it or not.

There are 2, 90-degree turn par 4's (holes 6 and 11, I believe). I inherently really dislike 90's, but these weren't terrible. On 6 we have a mainly mindless crush towards an invisible turn in the fairway. In both cases I would like to have a little bit more gradual of an angle into the approach to the basket. Opening the mouths of the gap up a bit would probably make me like them more. Both 6 and 11 have reasonably interesting approaches and greens.

*** EDIT ***
Keith made a good point to me the other day regarding the previous paragraph. When I say that I inherently really dislike 90's, I wasn't being clear. What I dislike are holes where the fairway turns 90 degrees and, to have a reasonable shot down the turned fairway, the disc must be exactly in a precise, small, landing area. I have no problem with faiways that turn 90 as long as there are shades of gray. As long as there are chances to get down it if the previous shot is less than perfect (though, ideally, the farther out of perfect you are, the harder the shot gets).

Holes 6 and 11 at Canopy are adequate in this regard, I think, though not spectacular. I would prefer a bit more angled opening into #6, if I remember right (though it's been 6 months since I played the course, now), especially since it's so hard to tell, from the tee, where the gap to the basket is. That said, you have the chance to throw your drive farther from the treeline and, thus, give yourself more of a chance at a good angle. If I remember right, #11 has some leeway on the angle if your first shot is long, which is nice.
*** END EDIT ***

I guess my best summary is that there weren't any holes that I loved, but I don't think there were any that I really disliked. For pin placements, I disliked #4's right side placement (on the hill) quite a bit and #16's right-side placement with the teeny tiny gap through the trees to it was annoying. But these are small things.

Most of the holes were average to above average holes and I enjoyed the course. I'm always happy to pay $5 for a course that's nicely maintained and I'll definitely be back to play it again.

I'll be back

1    9/29/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: Nice course that is well maintained as has been said by others. Some fairways are very open and some are very tight. Others are in between. Signage is good. People are friendly. There are uphill throws, level throws, and downhill throws. Playing the red Tees is a good intermediate to beginner course. Several of the holes are aceable for those that only throw 200 ft. Some of the holes are very long. For short throwers you may be over par before you ever see the basket. All in all a nice pleasant place to play and not too demanding or too easy. Water is mostly a non issue. It's a small shallow stream that won't sweep your disc into the Atlantic.
Cons: Signage is good but could be better. More signs directing players to the next T and numbers on the direction signs would help so players know they are walking to the correct T pad. This course does not require every throw in your bag. You can mostly get by with a straight throw or slight curve. Those fairways that do require a big curve are such that you will throw to the curve and then throw to the basket. Rarely will you curve it to the basket. If you have an errant throw you may end up in the "rough". The rough here can be very "rough". Underbrush is very thick and sometimes you have no choice but to just throw 15 ft. back into the fairway. It would be nice if the underbrush were cleared out somewhat but I know that would be a major undertaking as underbrush grows faster than one can clean it up. Finally, I think, #14 needs to have some trees cleared. It is just too narrow an S turn to not rely on a lot of luck.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the $5. I will return. Wear long pants as there is lots of poison ivy. Bug spray may be mandatory certain times of the year. That's not a knock on this course, that's just Georgia. I almost aced #8.

Best Course Yet

1    3/17/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: Gtfreak698
Pros: -Great rough tee pads that help in wet weather
-Well maintenance course with great paths in between holes.
- Hole lengths are well distributed throughout the course, including the use of an old chicken shack as part of the course
-Challenging pin locations require extra thought when playing.
Cons: -Just a little bit difficulty in navigation of the course. Extreme elevation changes should be taken into account, but makes for a great course
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back and play this course. Totally worth the $5 charge!

Well done!

1    9/7/2012   9/7/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Secluded course with 18 holes and dual tee pads for each one. Concrete pads at most holes with a few wooden decks mixed in. Good signs at each hole showing basket positions and length. Also plenty of next tee signs to keep you on the right path.

Excellent hole length variety. Holes ranging from 180' all the way to 810'. Also a nice mix of wooded hole and open holes. There is something for everyone here.

Multiple basket positions. So the layout and angles may change the level of difficulty depending on what the set up is when you play here.

All fairways are cleared well, and offer clear defined paths to the basket. Only the shorter holes have lines that could be considered overly tight.

Good use of elevation. There are up hills and down hills. There is also several basket positions on hill sides to add to the challenge for approaches and putts. Nothing gets monotonous or repetitive.

Nice facilities with cold drinks, clothes and discs. Cool looking building that you can hang out in and have a snack or watch some TV. Camping on site also. Multiple zip lines if you need another reason to come here.
Cons: A couple of the wooden tee pads are a little slippery. I was told that once they have some steady dry weather they will treat them with some coating that will fix the problem.

Lots of straight shots with limited line shaping tests. Seemed as if there were many straight shots and then the basket positioned just left or right of the fairway center line.

Rough can be punishing in spots. Fairways offer plenty of room, but get off and you are in some thick vines, weeds and brush.

A few of the steep hilly fairways could use some stairs to help with the climbs and help with erosion.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course that offers a lot of good holes. There is some nice wooded down hill ace runs, and some longer bombs. There are some uphill shots and even the famous indoor hole complete with a vending machine at the end.

Hole 6 was probably my favorite. It combines about 650' of open field with a dog left left and then about a 150' up hill shot through the woods. I love holes that combine a couple different elements like that.

The first few holes are short wooded holes that offer some nice ace chances. But don't let the start fool you, this course has plenty of length, and plenty of chances to get yourself in trouble.

The best way I can explain this course is that if Stan McDaniel was in a really good mood one day, this is something he might design. It has some long wooded holes with punishing rough. It just doesn't have the holes with the landing zones and extremely tight gaps. You are punished for mistakes here, but it doesn't seem like it was designed to intentionally put you through the ringer. I guess I would classify it as tough, but very fair. Play clean and you are OK. Plus there are no holes where I thought the lines were too tight or that contained trees in the middle of the fairway.

This course if definitely worth playing, even if it's a little out of the way. Keep in mind that it gets pretty hot in a Georgia summer, and this course has some steep hills and long open walks. Bring good shoes and plenty of water.

Tired

1    6/9/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: willyb943
Pros: We had a blast. It was a great workout for us. The change from playing in the open to trees and then in the chicken coop.And having a drink machine was nice at the chicken coop. We hope to play again soon.
Cons: It would be nice to have some sort of steps up and down the steep hills.
Other Thoughts: Even being a two hour drive from where we live i look forward to playing again.

I Love Lula

1    3/4/2012   3/4/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: North Georgia Canopy Tour has installed an extreme disc golf dream course. Every hole is difficult in one or more respects (usually more). Radical elevation changes, thick punishing rough, long distance, tricky lines through woods, protected or hilly pin placements, water, and an indoor hole can all be found on the course. Awesome mix of challenging throws and different looks make for several memorable holes offered. Only consistent quality shots will keep you close to par. Number 12 is a one of a kind for me so far. It is in an old barn, chicken coop, or something, that it maybe 50 feet wide, 25 feet tall at the roofs peak, and 400 feet long. Straight shot nearly all the way from one end to the other.

All of the necessary equipment is in good shape. Almost all holes have two tees, either concrete pads or decks, with signs mapping the hole with distance. The Discatchers are good as new, and a practice basket. Signs do well locating direction of next tees.
Cons: The wind was constant 20 MPH the duration of my round while I was there, making it even harder. This course kicked my butt, and I was OK with it. Definitely not beginner friendly, not even recreationally friendly. Traversing the steep slopes may be too much for anyone unable to withstand a moderately strenuous hike. Cost is $5, and the high winds discouraged me from getting my moneys worth by playing a second round.
Other Thoughts: This would be a fun place to spend a weekend. Of course disc golf is the main attraction (to me anyway), but there is also a zip line tour and camping on the same grounds. Playing this course again is something I would be happy to do (preferably without the wind). If you're a serious disc golfer, I would suggest you check this one out if you're able. It's worth the trip. Similar to Stoney Hill or All Terrain Disc Golf in South Carolina.

NGCT

1    2/10/2012   2/14/2012
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 3/5/2012
Pros: The North Georgia Canopy Tour in Lula, Georgia presents a very challenging par 61 course. Set in the scenic foothills of the North Georgia Mountains, it features varied terrain with plenty of elevation changes. Multiple tee pads give players of different skill levels options while multiple pin placements keep things fresh. Tight fairways, natural obstacles, and even an abandoned chicken house on hole twelve help define the course. Long holes that demand accurate drives, precise upshots and in general lots of smart golf add to the challenge. A few shorter holes, wooded holes, and tunnel shots are sprinkled in and just add to the variety. Overall you'll battle through twelve par 3's, five par 4's and one par 5. Four holes have you playing near or along a creek so getting wet a few times is possible as well.

The course is fully stocked with all the bells and whistles. As mentioned, duel tee pads (short and long) are on each hole. Most of them are very roomy concrete pads with a nice rough surface. A couple of the holes where there are very steep grades required wooden decks for tee pads. While not typical, they do the job. Great signs at each tee are here too. Although they don't have the newly installed alternate pin placements printed on them, makeshift indicators and distances were added and work just fine. Next tee signs are set around the course and help with some already pretty easy navigation. There are plenty of homemade benches throughout the course and they serve their purpose well especially after some of the arduous uphill walks. I also thought the burlap trash bags hung from trees with carabiners were a nice touch. Brand new Innova DISCatchers on all 18 holes are very familiar to most and of course they're very easy to spot in the woods.

The course has some interesting sights too. The first thing you'll notice is the zip line course that's visible throughout a lot of the course. Cables, towers, and occasional zip liners themselves add to the atmosphere. There are a few ponds visible from the tees but they really aren't in play. The windmill beside hole six's tee pad was an interesting addition too. I also noticed an old (probably 40's model) car that found its resting place tucked in the woods behind 14's basket. I actually thought it was pretty cool sitting back there. Probably the most memorable feature on the course was the before mentioned chicken house. It's roughly a 40'x 450' building just 6' tall on each end and maybe 20' tall at its peak. The basket rings up at about 365' from the long pad. Definitely easier said than done! You'll want to throw several on this hole for sure.
Cons: Getting off the fairway can be grueling on some holes. The well defined fairways are great but just don't stray. A really bad tee shot could earn you two or three extra strokes and probably even a little time searching for a disc.

I've not played this course in the Georgia heat yet but I can imagine that the hills will take their toll on those not in the best of shape (me).

The course is somewhat out of the way and most folks (those coming from the northern metro Atlanta area) will have close to an hour or more drive to the course. No restaurants, gas stations, etc. are near the course either.
Other Thoughts: I felt like $5 to play was well worth it and actually a bargain. After all, there's a friendly staff, a building that could dub as a club house, clean bathrooms, ample parking, and most importantly a great course. I also like the fact that you can make a weekend trip out of it if you are interested in zip lining too. There are a couple of lodging options including teepees and camping.

The course is a great tournament course too. Look for a pretty big scoring spread on a lot of the holes. Although there are a few holes where big arms have the advantage, key placement of shots will yield the best score in the long run.

I would put this up with the very top courses in the Atlanta area. I'm giving it a 4 but I could easily give it a 4.5 too. If you are looking for a truly challenging course with good variety and something a little different than what Atlanta has to offer then this is a must play in my view. Enjoy!

Challenging and fun!

1    9/12/2011   9/15/2011
Review By: Subicon
Pros: -Well maintained course
-Challenging without being ridiculous
-Chicken. Coop. Hole.
-Good mixture of hole layouts (open, tight, right, left, uphill, downhill, etc)
Cons: -Easy to lose a disc on errant shots (very thick rough)

Hot Fun

1    5/30/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: Ghazlehurst
Pros: Wide use of terrain and diversity of holes both on distance and openness. Well laid out with plenty of sign-age. Overall, I was really impressed with the course and it is worth a drive to play.
Cons: Underbrush is creeping back and it was HOT!
Other Thoughts: This will be on my regular rotation in the fall, Winter, and Spring. (Summer is to hot). the layout rewards good play and punish errant throws.

Chicken...GOOD!

1    5/15/2011   5/15/2011
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: New baskets, great concrete tees (2 sets) on all holes* and good signs at the long tee on all holes.
Extreme elevation changes on a lot of holes.
Real fairways with lots of twists and turns and doglegs...IE, not a lot of basket straight ahead kind of shots.
Long tees and short change the course by almost half a mile...but you still gotta walk it so why not go big?
Chicken coop hole...freakin' top notch grade A USDA choice poultry style major can of whoop 'a'.
Some streams in play but nothing to worry about.
Plays around the zipline course and you can hear people screaming and hollering through the woods.
Cons: 5 and 6 throw against each other.
The rough is ROUGH...go offline and you will pay or lose your disc, guaranteed.
I really didn't like 18, I felt it could have been a little wider with that much elevation to shoot up.
Lots of walks between holes but it is worth it because all the holes are worth playing.
Other Thoughts: The course is very new and it shows and will break in but as is it is a really fun and challenging tract.It is reminiscent of the IDGC in places with long sweeping tight fairways through the woods and up and down some crazy elevation changes.

A few holes have wooded decks as tees and they are great, I think spraying them with a rhino liner type stuff would be perfect.

It is a grueling round but satisfying. Go play it, worth the 5 bucks.

There is a drink machine in the chicken coop and back at the main building, it was nice to have one out on the course for the ice cold Powerade it held within.

Bottom line, tons of fun, a good work out and a satisfying play.