Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: keith johnson Hole #16 (Taken 5/2015)

North Georgia Canopy Tours

1    4/9/2016   4/12/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads for both pro and rec tees

Has tee signs with current basket placements

Has many benches throughout course which can be appreciated given the elevation changes

Good mix of open/wooded fairways with doglegs and elevations

Water comes into play on some of the holes but the creek is shallow and narrow enough where it shouldn't be a factor in losing a disc

Had whole course mostly to myself on a Saturday afternoon (one other group that I saw)

Scorecard with course map reveals an easy way to play 9 holes here (1-6, 16-18)

Free parking

Restrooms
Cons:
I'm hard-pressed to come up with any but here it goes:

$5 fee for all day play (well worth it in my opinion and it includes a scorecard)

NGCT requires you to sign a waiver to play

This is a very nice course and probably one of the best that I have ever played. I probably would have enjoyed it more if there weren't 20mph gusts on the day I played. Much of the course have tight fairways here so I had to sacrifice distance for control on many drives. The course is pretty challenging and will expose any of your weaknesses (if you have any). You can also zipline here if you have any leftover energy after playing. I will definitely play here again.

Lula is a lulu...

2-4    3/16/2016   3/20/2016
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: North Georgia Canopy is a beautiful piece of property in the rural setting of Lula Georgia.

This pay for play site had plenty of parking, restrooms, and a place to get beverages. The staff was extremely nice.

DisCatcher baskets were in good shape, and the placements were in some very difficult locations.

Tee pads were adequate in length and grippy. Most were concrete and a couple were wooden platforms.

2 sets of tees on most holes.

The course flow and navigation was fantastic. It was a first visit to the property and we had NO issues at all finding the baskets and the next tee.

The course is VERY difficult from the back tees. Even though I felt it to be difficult, not once did I feel that it was unfair.
Elevation changes on are severe on some holes and you will need to be able to control your disc to score well. The pictures on this site are nice, but the slope seemed to be more severe than in the pictures.

I found putting to be difficult on this course. Several of the pin locations are in prime spots for a roll away.

Hole 12 is a one of a kind hole.

The property was exceptionally maintained. Benches on most holes and no trash to be found.

You will need your entire game to get around this track. You obviously will have to work the disc off the tees, but shots with poor lines will require ALL your skill to recover from.

Cons: None worth mentioning!!
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful test of disc golf. There is a $5 a day green fee. You will also need to sign a waiver and give your health condition. This course will require a very good effort to play. The hills are severe and you will need to be able to gather yourself to play a quality shot after walking up and down them. If you enjoy grassroots disc golf then you will love this place. I would recommend it to any serious player. Don't be afraid to play the short tees if you think it will be too difficult for you. I played both tees and found the front tees to allow rec players to enjoy the site.

Must Play!

1    7/4/2015   7/15/2015
Review By: JBoggus75
Pros: Good layout
Multiple Tee Pads
Multiple Pin Locations
Mix of Shots
Hole 12
Other Thoughts: The best part of NGCT is it challenges your game in every single way. A lot of courses are very repetitive, but not this one. I loved the mix of wooded and open holes, the mix of long and short, and the great variety of shots needed. Hole 12 is one of my favorite holes ever just because it is so unique. If you're from Atlanta or in the area, you have to come out and play here. It's worth every bit of the $5 they charge as well!

Best I've played so far.

1    7/4/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: RobbieRob14
Pros: -Great baskets
-Nice mix of long and short holes
-Beautiful scenery
-Great layout
-Very well maintained
-2 tee pads on almost every hole
-Multiple pin locations
-Plenty of benches
-Next tee signs
-Chicken coop hole is one-of-a-kind
Cons: Make sure you are in shape. Not really a negative for myself, but I could assume it would cause some problems for some. Just be ready to do a lot of hiking!

As mentioned by others, there are a couple of "filler" holes, but they are all still challenging and fun!
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is the best course I've ever played, and I would HIGHLY recommend it! It is definitely worth the drive up from Atlanta to play! It has a nice mix of open and wooded, long and short, hyzer and anhyzer, whatever you are looking for!

I live 2 hours away, and I'm already looking forward to making it back down to play!

Adventure Awaits

1    3/15/2014   3/16/2014
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -Every hole shape imaginable is present at this course. Almost every hole forces you to sculpt a different line and requires you to be smart and skillful.
-Extremely challenging course and challenging hike to boot.
-Variety of tee types. Most are concrete, but a few are wooden slats that have surprisingly good grip.
-Innova DISCatcher baskets with double chains.
-The raised tees on several holes really helps to add an elevation challenge and "Top-of-the-world" type shots.
-The chicken coop hole is one of the most unique holes I have played.
-This course is not short on amenities as there are bathrooms at the office and custom wooden benches on almost every hole. There are also feed bags tied to trees next to several tee pads for you to put your trash.
-Navigation is pretty easy, especially with the course map on the back of the score card.
-Metal tee signs with maps are nice and informative.
Cons: -$5 Pay-to-play will be a deterrent for some.
-Distances marked on several holes seemed off (Some felt longer or shorter).
-I really felt like Hole 6 and 16 were both filler holes with their only purpose being to guide you to more interesting holes. Hole 6 is a long hole with an open field on the right and woods to your left. At 500 ft it turns sharply into the woods and up the hill. It just felt very bland and unnecessarily long. Hole 16 is a short uphill hole with wooden slat tee pads that point you straight at the hillside and seemed to be just a way to fill the space between hole 15's picturesque throw over the creek and through a semi-wooded field to an elevated pin and hole 17's tight, wooded, par 4 s-curve to a guarded pin.
Other Thoughts: Adventure awaits at North Georgia Canopy tours this course is off the beaten path and feels like it. Besides the hum of people doing the zip line course it is just you and nature. The positives here WAY outweigh the cons listed above and I consider this course in the top 3 of courses I have played (as indicated by my rating). So, if you're looking for a unique and challenging disc golf experience look no further than NGCT.

I left Lula with Georgia on my mind

1    12/31/2013   1/24/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Outstanding private course on a charming, out of the way resort that features zip lines, disc golf, and camping as the main attractions. Everything was well-maintained and in good shape.
Well thought out holes - challenging, but completely fair.
Elevation: Changes ranging from subtle to spectacular are used brilliantly to make this a particularly fun course to play. Comes into play off the tee, mid fairway, and on approaches/putts to keep you on your toes the entire round.
Variety: Encompasses all facets of the game, encouraging use of your entire shot-making repertoire. Mostly well-wooded with plenty of twists and turns over hill and dale, with a few where Big D is required for any hope of scoring well. Splendid combination of fairway shapes, tight lines, not so tight, a couple fairly open, creek in play, drop-offs, sloped greens, terrain changes, well-tucked and blind pin placements over nice mix of distances keeps you engaged on every single hole. Many holes have at least a couple of obvious lines and challenge decision making as much as shot making.
Fairly rewards shots which hold the fairway and punishes those that don't.
True par 4's and 5's, and well-placed pins that make you earn a par 3. No filler - every hole was interesting, and the course never felt repetitive.
Aesthetics: Picturesque fairways ramble up, down and all around this gorgeous property. Even if they don't like disc golf, your sig other will enjoy walking this course.
Memorable holes: Several... I loved 6, with the big open bomb off the tee to a well-guarded pin that's way uphill to the left of the fairway. Hole 3's a downhill Ace Run with the creek looming behind it. The Chicken Shack: the very definition of a tunnel shot receives bonus points for offering two different recipes for the Skip Ace: Original (off the ground) and Extra Crispy (off the ceiling)!
Equipment: some tees are grippy concrete, others are wooden platforms, but all were good. Good signage shows hole layout with distance, par, and use a clip or magnet to indicate current pin position. Yellow Discatchers are easy to see in the woods, and one or two blind placements use a flag to make them visible from the tee.
Dual tees to accommodate different skills levels go even further when combined with dual pin placements.
Camping onsite with a clean and modern bathhouse.
Cons: I'm struggling here. Most of what I've got are more FYI's than cons that actually detract from the course.
A couple of tees where a normal follow-through could be dangerous.
Rough: I played in winter when trees and shrubbery were naked, but there's no doubt in my mind the rough on some holes would be brutal in late spring or summer.
Not beginner friendly - most novices will likely get too frustrated to enjoy this gem.
Navigation: lucky enough to receive a guided tour from the course designer and paid far more attention to the scenery than how to get to the next hole. Overall flow was good, but I recall a several spots where getting to the next hole didn't seem obvious, and have a feeling I'd have spent more time than I wanted looking for the next tee. That said, I seen far, far worse. Map seems pretty accurate and I'm certain unguided visitors will be happy they printed it.
Other Thoughts: This is what happens when a good designer gets to work with a great piece of property. I defy you to play here and not think it's great. Everything is well-run from start to finish by an ownership/management that's socially and environmentally conscientious about doing the right things and providing a great experience for their clientele.

Interesting holes and varied terrain create a fun factor that's only enhanced by a vibe that's chill and secluded.

Playing any course for the first time, I typically walk away with a rating in mind. As I spent the night in my tent after playing here, I admit thinking briefly about a 5 (and can't fault anyone for doing so), but in my mind, if I have to think about it, then it ain't a 5. I try to be objective and focus on tangible items, but ultimately can't completely shake what comes down to a subjective, or "gut" feel when I finally land on a number. That said, I'd put this up with Moraine, the Jackson course at IDGC, and a few others that IMO fell just short for reasons I can't exactly put my finger on. Call it a 4.75, if you will.

Stay in your own tent for $20/night or bring some friends and rent a TeePee - either way you'll be glad you came.

And It Will Only Improve...

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: mullethead326
This review was updated on 5/20/2014
Pros: I have played this course several times on my own as well as in tournament and monthly doubles rounds. What impresses me the most is how fairly it plays. Although there are some long shots, control and placement, especially on the par 4/5s, is much more important.

The course is largely carved out of the woods, but the fairways are more than wide enough. If you do make a mistake, you're liable to pay for it, as the rough is thick in many places. Although there is a creek running through or by 4 holes, it's not a hazard so much as an accent to add to the mountain scenery.

Basket placements are thoughtful and challenging, with many on slopes or in a position where running a long putt could cost you.

The stories and obvious actions of how the course designer and property owners have worked together to improve elements of the course are nearly unheard of, like going from design to install in just a couple of months. When the creek (headwaters of the Oconee River) started to undercut hole 4, they put in a rubble wall to reinforce the bank, and built a solid bridge on hole 15 to eliminate a sketchy stream crossing. That kind of attention to the course should keep it in top shape for a long time.

The different pads and reasonable fairways accommodate a wide range of player skills and talents. The 5 wooden pads with a grippy coating were a really good decision and implementation. Signage is professional and adequate, especially if you have a map (on the scorecards) to accompany them.
Cons: I've never been thrilled with hole 3 from the short pad, as played during doubles and tournaments--it's really not much of a golf shot, and for players blue and above, isn't going to elicit a good scoring spread.

$5 greens fee/day, but I think this is offset by never having to wait on fairways to clear, the safety of a private course, and the responsiveness of NGCT to DG.

It's a haul to get there, and a ways from any other solid courses, so it's worth it to invest the whole day and play it multiple times instead of trying to fit in Toccoa or Central.

Now that the course is getting worked in, some of the steeper sections could use erosion control methods to slow down water flow and direct foot traffic to a particular path (perhaps steps or enhancing some switchbacks).

I don't have a problem with the thick brush off of fairways, since it encourages me to be inside the fairway, but there are numerous baskets where even inside of 20 feet there isn't a putt.
Other Thoughts: I haven't yet done the full teepee/zipline experience, but I can't imagine anything but a great time.

Highlight holes: 1 is a great starting hole, with the tee elevated above the basket into a tunnel shot. When the leaves are fully out, it's a great introduction to the course.

5/6: Back to back par 4 and 5s, in which you really get a chance to test your arm, then finesse your next shot or three. I really look forward to playing these when the newly planted trees and "river of mulch" are mature and separate the holes a little more. These two holes often play downwind/upwind.

11 is a tough par 4, in which the ideal landing zone is only about 20 feet in diameter, and the upshot isn't a gimme either. I would like to see the first LZ adjusted a little bit, such that it rewards a good first shot (instead of only perfect ones). This would be achieved by widening the entrance a little bit, but keeping the rest of the tunnel the same.

12, the Chicken Shack, is appropriately billed as the only one of its kind. It really reminds the thrower that a low, flat throw is a much more useful shot than flailing a high S-turn.

17. It took me 7-8 times through to find a good strategy for this hole, and it still requires great execution.

I learn something new to improve about my game every time I play this course, and it's one of only a few for which I'll rearrange a day to play. The rumored possibility of an additional 9 holes is about the only way I could improve it. Although this is a spectacular property for disc golf, DG isn't their primary activity or income--but I'd encourage you to visit to demonstrate our collective interest to the owners.

05/20/2014: I amended my rating from a 5 to a 4.5. The course hasn't really changed, but as I've played it more, I've grown disenchanted by the thick brush on some pin positions on several greens (7, 11, 16, 17 especially) within 15 feet of the basket. I feel that having privet and other immature growth that close to baskets is capricious and doesn't differentiate punishment between good and bad shots.

Luscious Lula.

2-4    3/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 2/1/2015
Pros: Variety, so much of it. Lefts and rights and ups and downs, excellent course flow that never feels monotonous in design, I can't recall anything I would consider a filler hole.

Amazing teepads that set up perfectly for two very fitting levels of challenge. The longs will fully test your abilities while the shorts will allow you to maybe have a slightly less frustrating time, if you're off your game, while still enjoying the astounding beauty this property has to offer!

The lodge has an incredibly friendly staff that remembered me by name after only encountering me in one previous interaction, that was awesome. Vending machines inside with nice tables to relax at and cool down, and the always great bonus of having a real bathroom.

Everything out here is fair, I never felt as if a hole had punished me on a good throw, all of my mistakes were my own, everything about this course is a true test of what you've learned, it's definitely not anywhere near the most punishing courses i've played, but it's also far, far from the easiest, amazingly balanced for all throwing styles.

A beautiful blend of open and wooded, including a couple that feel open while your throwing in the woods, which is an absolutely awesome feeling, one of my favorite hole types.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any real cons. This isn't the best course I've ever played, which may lead you to ask why I'm giving it a five.

I've had the opportunity to play two courses prior to this one that I consider a five, both extremely private and incredible, this course manages to achieve the same type of vibe and course feel that usually only comes in complete seclusion, which is definitely not an easy task. It does lack some of what I will call the "cool factor" that a Flyboy or Brackett's Bluff(OG layout) has but just barely, as far as the course goes, this is a 5 in my book.
Other Thoughts: I had been wanting to play this track for a long time. Keith Johnson had mentioned that he thought I may like it...many times. He was right. Keith did an absolutely amazing job on this property and a shoutout to anyone who helped him accomplish anything. This is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of Georgia Disc Golf. Please come play this course, after you play it once I'm relatively certain you'll be begging them to snap that Lincoln out of your hand.

I had to think on this for a bit as to what I was going to give it, as I was hovering in between a 4.5 and a 5, but the amount of fun you will have out here on this absolutely beautiful property deserves nothing but the highest marks in my eyes.

Lula Course

2-4    12/15/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: kdlutz42
Pros: It is obvious this course was designed by a disc golfer that wanted to make a high caliber course. A lot of work was put into the design and the small details in the course including elevating tees and stairs, and maintaining trails between holes. The design is nice because there is a mix of long and short holes and most of the long holes are two shot holes so you don't have to throw super far to be successful on the course, but it is long enough so that it is an advantage.
Cons: You definitely have to drive out of your way to get to this course, but it is well worth it especially if there is a doubles tournament there. Also this course needs at least a B tier tournament to put it on the map so more people will come to practice it. It is a very nice tournament course with no tournaments played there.
Other Thoughts: Although this course is out of the way it can definitely stand as a destination course. I havent tried the zipline course but it looks nice, and there are campsites available.

Big time fun!

1    8/11/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: Wow, this course is definitely a must-play destination type of course. It's very cool to be incorporated with the canopy tour, but the course stands on its own as sweet.

The hole variety, beauty, and challenge are all top-notch. You will definitely need a wide variety of shots in your bag, plus patience and endurance to score well here. I played one round from the longs and one round from the shorts and will probably play the shorts again next time as those longs are very long and tough.

This course is never boring with long holes, short holes, all kinds of curves and elevation, tight lines, and more open bombs.

The course is just a hair behind my favorite course, Steady Ed.
Cons: The rough is very rough in places and it is tough to find your disc at times. The walk is a bit grueling and there are times when it's hard to keep your footing going up and down hills at angles.
Other Thoughts: A definite must-play in Georgia. I can't wait to play this course again someday.