Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: marc Hole #1 (Taken 10/2012)

And It Will Only Improve...

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: mullethead326
This review was updated on 10/22/2013
Pros: I have played this course several times on my own as well as in tournament and monthly doubles rounds. What impresses me the most is how fairly it plays. Although there are some long shots, control and placement, especially on the par 4/5s, is much more important.

The course is largely carved out of the woods, but the fairways are more than wide enough. If you do make a mistake, you're liable to pay for it, as the rough is thick in many places. Although there is a creek running through or by 4 holes, it's not a hazard so much as an accent to add to the mountain scenery.

Basket placements are thoughtful and challenging, with many on slopes or in a position where running a long putt could cost you.

The stories and obvious actions of how the course designer and property owners have worked together to improve elements of the course are nearly unheard of, like going from design to install in just a couple of months. When the creek (headwaters of the Oconee River) started to undercut hole 4, they put in a rubble wall to reinforce the bank, and built a solid bridge on hole 15 to eliminate a sketchy stream crossing. That kind of attention to the course should keep it in top shape for a long time.

The different pads and reasonable fairways accommodate a wide range of player skills and talents. The 5 wooden pads with a grippy coating were a really good decision and implementation. Signage is professional and adequate, especially if you have a map (on the scorecards) to accompany them.
Cons: I've never been thrilled with hole 3 from the short pad, as played during doubles and tournaments--it's really not much of a golf shot, and for players blue and above, isn't going to elicit a good scoring spread.

$5 greens fee/day, but I think this is offset by never having to wait on fairways to clear, the safety of a private course, and the responsiveness of NGCT to DG.

It's a haul to get there, and a ways from any other solid courses, so it's worth it to invest the whole day and play it multiple times instead of trying to fit in Toccoa or Central.

Now that the course is getting worked in, some of the steeper sections could use erosion control methods to slow down water flow and direct foot traffic to a particular path (perhaps steps or enhancing some switchbacks).

I don't have a problem with the thick brush off of fairways, since it encourages me to be inside the fairway, but there are numerous baskets where even inside of 20 feet there isn't a putt.
Other Thoughts: I haven't yet done the full teepee/zipline experience, but I can't imagine anything but a great time.

Highlight holes: 1 is a great starting hole, with the tee elevated above the basket into a tunnel shot. When the leaves are fully out, it's a great introduction to the course.

5/6: Back to back par 4 and 5s, in which you really get a chance to test your arm, then finesse your next shot or three. I really look forward to playing these when the newly planted trees and "river of mulch" are mature and separate the holes a little more. These two holes often play downwind/upwind.

11 is a tough par 4, in which the ideal landing zone is only about 20 feet in diameter, and the upshot isn't a gimme either. I would like to see the first LZ adjusted a little bit, such that it rewards a good first shot (instead of only perfect ones). This would be achieved by widening the entrance a little bit, but keeping the rest of the tunnel the same.

12, the Chicken Shack, is appropriately billed as the only one of its kind. It really reminds the thrower that a low, flat throw is a much more useful shot than flailing a high S-turn.

17. It took me 7-8 times through to find a good strategy for this hole, and it still requires great execution.

I learn something new to improve about my game every time I play this course, and it's one of only a few for which I'll rearrange a day to play. The rumored possibility of an additional 9 holes is about the only way I could improve it. Although this is a spectacular property for disc golf, DG isn't their primary activity or income--but I'd encourage you to visit to demonstrate our collective interest to the owners.

Luscious Lula.

2-4    3/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Variety, so much of it. Lefts and rights and ups and downs, excellent course flow that never feels monotonous in design, I can't recall anything I would consider a filler hole.

Amazing teepads that set up perfectly for two very fitting levels of challenge. The longs will fully test your abilities while the shorts will allow you to maybe have a slightly less frustrating time, if you're off your game, while still enjoying the astounding beauty this property has to offer!

The lodge has an incredibly friendly staff that remembered me by name after only encountering me in one previous interaction, that was awesome. Vending machines inside with nice tables to relax at and cool down, and the always great bonus of having a real bathroom.

Everything out here is fair, I never felt as if a hole had punished me on a good throw, all of my mistakes were my own, everything about this course is a true test of what you've learned, it's definitely not anywhere near the most punishing courses i've played, but it's also far, far from the easiest, amazingly balanced for all throwing styles.

A beautiful blend of open and wooded, including a couple that feel open while your throwing in the woods, which is an absolutely awesome feeling, one of my favorite hole types.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any real cons. This isn't the best course I've ever played, which may lead you to ask why I'm giving it a five.

I've had the opportunity to play two courses prior to this one that I consider a five, both extremely private and incredible, this course manages to achieve the same type of vibe and course feel that usually only comes in complete seclusion, which is definitely not an easy task. It does lack some of what I will call the "cool factor" that a Flyboy or Brackett's Bluff(OG layout) has but just barely, as far as the course goes, this is a 5 in my book.
Other Thoughts: I had been wanting to play this track for a long time. Keith Johnson had mentioned that he thought I may like it...many times. He was right. Keith did an absolutely amazing job on this property and a shoutout to anyone who helped him accomplish anything. This is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of Georgia Disc Golf. Please come play this course, after you play it once I'm relatively certain you'll be begging them to snap that Lincoln out of your hand.

I had to think on this for a bit as to what I was going to give it, as I was hovering in between a 4.5 and a 5, but the amount of fun you will have out here on this absolutely beautiful property deserves nothing but the highest marks in my eyes.

Put it on your wish list

1    12/31/2012   1/7/2013
Review By: gcrussell4
This review was updated on 2/11/2013
Pros: This course is better than its current rating. This is truly a destination quality course. I was in town to visit my in-laws north of Atlanta and saw this course had pretty recently been developed in the area and so I took the drive to go visit.

First impression, even with the trees bare in winter, this is still a beautiful area and an absolutely ideal place to put a DG course. The course took full advantage of a wide range of tight wooded areas and more open fields. The elevation of the area came into play with several very fun and challenging uphill and downhill throws. I ran into the course designer while I was playing (he was moving pin positions as he does about once a month) and his comment to me was, "This is the kind of thing you can do when you are on private land and you are given free reign to use the land how you wish." That statement really captures the course and the way that it compliments the environment that it is located in. Keith was able to widen a fairway if it made better use of the land or enhance the diversity of the course. This leads to a great flow through the course and a feeling that every hole is a perfect fit for the location.

I know a lot of you won't read the narrative, so here are a few quick hitters in list form to quickly illustrate a few of this course's biggest pros:

1) Beautiful area and land--from one teebox you look out over the trees and can see the mountains of North Carolina, a couple holes later you stand at another teebox and look over the mountains of Georgia--stunning

2) Balanced--power vs. finesse, lefty vs. righty, elevation vs. flat, it is all here

3) No "throw-away" holes--not a single hole feels like a filler

4) Great mix of fun and challenge--some courses are great mostly because of their challenge (i.e. Idlewild), some because of the fun factor (i.e. Flip City), some really achieve both in great balance (i.e. Flyboy), I feel like this course finds that balance very nicely.
Cons: Not really anything--I guess it could be listed as a con that it is far away from any metro area, or that it is physically demanding enough that it could be a struggle for someone in bad shape, but I don't hold those things against the course.
Other Thoughts: Flyboy is still my far and away number one course that I have ever played, but this course is in the next tier of favorites that includes (in no particular order): Idlewild, Flip City, Toboggan, and Delaveaga--I would rate it just higher than Holler in the Hills, Waterworks, Renaissance, and the Circle R Ranch courses.

Truly an awesome course

Best course I've ever played

1    2/2/2012   2/2/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: This course was an orgasm from hole to hole. Beautiful Northern Georgia, in the mountains. A ziplining course runs through the same private property.
This course creates tricky and clever shots... best of all, they're shots you've never seen before! The changes in elevation are incredible. The course is extremely well-manicured; with steps, benches, defined pathways, next tee signs, water stations, and trash cans. The course was well-cut (not overgrown).
Cons: The course is a good hike and will leave most players tired at the end. Retrieving some discs that leave the fairway may be a little dangerous on the steep hillsides
Other Thoughts: Hole #12 plays inside of a building! I love it

Ga's newest Gem

2-4    10/16/2011   10/17/2011
Review By: Dollar26045
Pros: Solid Design - good mix of long and short. CLEAN FAIRWAYS!!!! A Very VALID Course.

Beautiful Land - Lots of elevation change, nice mix of woods and open, up and down, and left and right

2 sets of concrete Tees - I only played the longs

New Disccatchers

The chicken ShaQ (with drink machines)

Friendly People

Zip Lining and Canopy Tours on site! Also Camping and TeePee rentals!

Exercise!
Cons: While the hills are pretty, they do require some serious hiking up and down the "lil mountain."

While the fairways are CLEAN, the rough is thick with shule. A very good player will have little to no issues staying on the fairway most of the time.

It also gets a little windy up there.

BIGGEST CON- Is that I dont live there and can't play it all the time
Other Thoughts: This is by far the best new course in GA since Flyboy. It also easily breaks into the Top 5 of GA courses.

It's an excellent weekend getaway with Disc Golf, Zip Line tours, and camping on site.

I have played over 100 courses around the country and won Pro Tournaments in 7 different states, and this is only the 2nd course I have ever felt strongly enough about to review.

I hope enough disc golfers venture out to NGCT to show the owners what a special disc golf course they have created.

Beautiful and Tough Course north of Gainesville!

5+    1/15/2012   4/12/2011
Review By: BobbyC13
This review was updated on 1/15/2012
Pros: This course is still a work in progress, but it is a great new course which can be tough to make. This course is gorgeous and one of the best in GA for sure!

Concrete tee pads on all holes, trash cans and benches are on every other hole now. Great flow of longer and shorter holes. New discatcher baskets. Two tee pads, pros are tough and recs are actually challenging and in most cases a different shot from pros. Clean cut wooded holes. Several pro holes over 400 feet. Tough shorter holes throwing uphill and downhill. Great job John Ritger and Keith Johnson as designers.

Chicken coup shot is fun, there are several other great holes though!!!
Cons: Course still needs some work to level out areas behind a few tee pads on longer holes.
Other Thoughts: Come play this fun course. pay $5 for the day and play all day, or pay $60 for an annual pass. Great flowing layout that tests your skill and determination. The staff is great and welcomes criticism.

815, 555, 480, & 400 foot holes here. Even wooded and open. Alternate pins on about a 3rd of the holes now!

This course continues to get better and better!

***Sunday dubs on the 3rd Sunday of every month, $15 for all in with 3 CTP's!***