Lula, GA
North Georgia Canopy Tours Share
Uploaded By: keith johnson Hole #16 (Taken 5/2015)

I'll be back

1    9/29/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: Nice course that is well maintained as has been said by others. Some fairways are very open and some are very tight. Others are in between. Signage is good. People are friendly. There are uphill throws, level throws, and downhill throws. Playing the red Tees is a good intermediate to beginner course. Several of the holes are aceable for those that only throw 200 ft. Some of the holes are very long. For short throwers you may be over par before you ever see the basket. All in all a nice pleasant place to play and not too demanding or too easy. Water is mostly a non issue. It's a small shallow stream that won't sweep your disc into the Atlantic.
Cons: Signage is good but could be better. More signs directing players to the next T and numbers on the direction signs would help so players know they are walking to the correct T pad. This course does not require every throw in your bag. You can mostly get by with a straight throw or slight curve. Those fairways that do require a big curve are such that you will throw to the curve and then throw to the basket. Rarely will you curve it to the basket. If you have an errant throw you may end up in the "rough". The rough here can be very "rough". Underbrush is very thick and sometimes you have no choice but to just throw 15 ft. back into the fairway. It would be nice if the underbrush were cleared out somewhat but I know that would be a major undertaking as underbrush grows faster than one can clean it up. Finally, I think, #14 needs to have some trees cleared. It is just too narrow an S turn to not rely on a lot of luck.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the $5. I will return. Wear long pants as there is lots of poison ivy. Bug spray may be mandatory certain times of the year. That's not a knock on this course, that's just Georgia. I almost aced #8.

Good

1    7/1/2013   7/19/2013
Review By: rphancock1
This review was updated on 8/3/2014
Pros: -well maintained
-nice clean multiple tees, often with brooms handy
-good intermediate course, with many holes being friendly to natural disc fade and pretty wide fairways on the wooded holes.
-very pretty, and quiet.. Except for kids on the zip line, which sounds fun. I was the only person playing on the Monday morning that I went.

Cons: -though I think this course is great for beginners/intermediate players, do be prepared to thrash through some heavy underbrush when you get off the fairway. Not a flaw in the course, but unpleasant..
-though there were some really fun holes to throw, but there were more that were unremarkable. I played from the longs and felt that a course considered to be a championship course should be more challenging and varied.
Other Thoughts: I did like the chicken shack hole way more than I thought I would. The sound of a disc flying inside a room is really interesting, and its a harder hole to birdie than I expected.

I was disappointed that the small pond behind hole 5 wasn't in play.. It's a perfect size for an easily clearable hazard that would totally change the feel of this part of the course. It would be great to tee off on hole 5 from behind the pond.. Much better than throwing across an open (for now, trees have been planted) field.

I did enjoy playing here, and the $5 fee is totally worth it. It just didn't really make me want to play a second round though, which is too bad, considering that it's pretty far out from the city.

*update*
Keith emailed me after my review and challenged me to play the course again as he felt I must have missed something by being a newer player. I was back in Atlanta visiting family and played the course twice more. I raised my rating because having played more courses in the past year I do appreciate the care given to the course. However, I definitely stand by my opinion that there is very little variety of shot required... Many other reviewers felt differently, but I don't see it. I threw a -3 from the long tees, and on 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,12,13,15,16,18 I threw a straight drive with the only variable being whether it was a putter (1,2,8) or a distance hyper flip (4,5,9,10,12,13,15,18) or a hyper flip that would fade a bit at the end (3,7). There's also elevation change on some of those holes, but the shots aren't remotely different enough to feel varied. Holes 6,11, and 17 stand out so much because they require precise disc placement and are more like putting golf shots together than throwing the obvious shot through the obvious clearing.

I did enjoy the course again, and will certainly be back.

And It Will Only Improve...

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: mullethead326
This review was updated on 5/20/2014
Pros: I have played this course several times on my own as well as in tournament and monthly doubles rounds. What impresses me the most is how fairly it plays. Although there are some long shots, control and placement, especially on the par 4/5s, is much more important.

The course is largely carved out of the woods, but the fairways are more than wide enough. If you do make a mistake, you're liable to pay for it, as the rough is thick in many places. Although there is a creek running through or by 4 holes, it's not a hazard so much as an accent to add to the mountain scenery.

Basket placements are thoughtful and challenging, with many on slopes or in a position where running a long putt could cost you.

The stories and obvious actions of how the course designer and property owners have worked together to improve elements of the course are nearly unheard of, like going from design to install in just a couple of months. When the creek (headwaters of the Oconee River) started to undercut hole 4, they put in a rubble wall to reinforce the bank, and built a solid bridge on hole 15 to eliminate a sketchy stream crossing. That kind of attention to the course should keep it in top shape for a long time.

The different pads and reasonable fairways accommodate a wide range of player skills and talents. The 5 wooden pads with a grippy coating were a really good decision and implementation. Signage is professional and adequate, especially if you have a map (on the scorecards) to accompany them.
Cons: I've never been thrilled with hole 3 from the short pad, as played during doubles and tournaments--it's really not much of a golf shot, and for players blue and above, isn't going to elicit a good scoring spread.

$5 greens fee/day, but I think this is offset by never having to wait on fairways to clear, the safety of a private course, and the responsiveness of NGCT to DG.

It's a haul to get there, and a ways from any other solid courses, so it's worth it to invest the whole day and play it multiple times instead of trying to fit in Toccoa or Central.

Now that the course is getting worked in, some of the steeper sections could use erosion control methods to slow down water flow and direct foot traffic to a particular path (perhaps steps or enhancing some switchbacks).

I don't have a problem with the thick brush off of fairways, since it encourages me to be inside the fairway, but there are numerous baskets where even inside of 20 feet there isn't a putt.
Other Thoughts: I haven't yet done the full teepee/zipline experience, but I can't imagine anything but a great time.

Highlight holes: 1 is a great starting hole, with the tee elevated above the basket into a tunnel shot. When the leaves are fully out, it's a great introduction to the course.

5/6: Back to back par 4 and 5s, in which you really get a chance to test your arm, then finesse your next shot or three. I really look forward to playing these when the newly planted trees and "river of mulch" are mature and separate the holes a little more. These two holes often play downwind/upwind.

11 is a tough par 4, in which the ideal landing zone is only about 20 feet in diameter, and the upshot isn't a gimme either. I would like to see the first LZ adjusted a little bit, such that it rewards a good first shot (instead of only perfect ones). This would be achieved by widening the entrance a little bit, but keeping the rest of the tunnel the same.

12, the Chicken Shack, is appropriately billed as the only one of its kind. It really reminds the thrower that a low, flat throw is a much more useful shot than flailing a high S-turn.

17. It took me 7-8 times through to find a good strategy for this hole, and it still requires great execution.

I learn something new to improve about my game every time I play this course, and it's one of only a few for which I'll rearrange a day to play. The rumored possibility of an additional 9 holes is about the only way I could improve it. Although this is a spectacular property for disc golf, DG isn't their primary activity or income--but I'd encourage you to visit to demonstrate our collective interest to the owners.

05/20/2014: I amended my rating from a 5 to a 4.5. The course hasn't really changed, but as I've played it more, I've grown disenchanted by the thick brush on some pin positions on several greens (7, 11, 16, 17 especially) within 15 feet of the basket. I feel that having privet and other immature growth that close to baskets is capricious and doesn't differentiate punishment between good and bad shots.

Luscious Lula.

2-4    3/20/2013   5/20/2013
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 2/1/2015
Pros: Variety, so much of it. Lefts and rights and ups and downs, excellent course flow that never feels monotonous in design, I can't recall anything I would consider a filler hole.

Amazing teepads that set up perfectly for two very fitting levels of challenge. The longs will fully test your abilities while the shorts will allow you to maybe have a slightly less frustrating time, if you're off your game, while still enjoying the astounding beauty this property has to offer!

The lodge has an incredibly friendly staff that remembered me by name after only encountering me in one previous interaction, that was awesome. Vending machines inside with nice tables to relax at and cool down, and the always great bonus of having a real bathroom.

Everything out here is fair, I never felt as if a hole had punished me on a good throw, all of my mistakes were my own, everything about this course is a true test of what you've learned, it's definitely not anywhere near the most punishing courses i've played, but it's also far, far from the easiest, amazingly balanced for all throwing styles.

A beautiful blend of open and wooded, including a couple that feel open while your throwing in the woods, which is an absolutely awesome feeling, one of my favorite hole types.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any real cons. This isn't the best course I've ever played, which may lead you to ask why I'm giving it a five.

I've had the opportunity to play two courses prior to this one that I consider a five, both extremely private and incredible, this course manages to achieve the same type of vibe and course feel that usually only comes in complete seclusion, which is definitely not an easy task. It does lack some of what I will call the "cool factor" that a Flyboy or Brackett's Bluff(OG layout) has but just barely, as far as the course goes, this is a 5 in my book.
Other Thoughts: I had been wanting to play this track for a long time. Keith Johnson had mentioned that he thought I may like it...many times. He was right. Keith did an absolutely amazing job on this property and a shoutout to anyone who helped him accomplish anything. This is a perfect example of what I think of when I think of Georgia Disc Golf. Please come play this course, after you play it once I'm relatively certain you'll be begging them to snap that Lincoln out of your hand.

I had to think on this for a bit as to what I was going to give it, as I was hovering in between a 4.5 and a 5, but the amount of fun you will have out here on this absolutely beautiful property deserves nothing but the highest marks in my eyes.

Best Course Yet

1    3/17/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: Gtfreak698
Pros: -Great rough tee pads that help in wet weather
-Well maintenance course with great paths in between holes.
- Hole lengths are well distributed throughout the course, including the use of an old chicken shack as part of the course
-Challenging pin locations require extra thought when playing.
Cons: -Just a little bit difficulty in navigation of the course. Extreme elevation changes should be taken into account, but makes for a great course
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to go back and play this course. Totally worth the $5 charge!

Put it on your wish list

1    12/31/2012   1/7/2013
Review By: gcrussell4
This review was updated on 2/11/2013
Pros: This course is better than its current rating. This is truly a destination quality course. I was in town to visit my in-laws north of Atlanta and saw this course had pretty recently been developed in the area and so I took the drive to go visit.

First impression, even with the trees bare in winter, this is still a beautiful area and an absolutely ideal place to put a DG course. The course took full advantage of a wide range of tight wooded areas and more open fields. The elevation of the area came into play with several very fun and challenging uphill and downhill throws. I ran into the course designer while I was playing (he was moving pin positions as he does about once a month) and his comment to me was, "This is the kind of thing you can do when you are on private land and you are given free reign to use the land how you wish." That statement really captures the course and the way that it compliments the environment that it is located in. Keith was able to widen a fairway if it made better use of the land or enhance the diversity of the course. This leads to a great flow through the course and a feeling that every hole is a perfect fit for the location.

I know a lot of you won't read the narrative, so here are a few quick hitters in list form to quickly illustrate a few of this course's biggest pros:

1) Beautiful area and land--from one teebox you look out over the trees and can see the mountains of North Carolina, a couple holes later you stand at another teebox and look over the mountains of Georgia--stunning

2) Balanced--power vs. finesse, lefty vs. righty, elevation vs. flat, it is all here

3) No "throw-away" holes--not a single hole feels like a filler

4) Great mix of fun and challenge--some courses are great mostly because of their challenge (i.e. Idlewild), some because of the fun factor (i.e. Flip City), some really achieve both in great balance (i.e. Flyboy), I feel like this course finds that balance very nicely.
Cons: Not really anything--I guess it could be listed as a con that it is far away from any metro area, or that it is physically demanding enough that it could be a struggle for someone in bad shape, but I don't hold those things against the course.
Other Thoughts: Flyboy is still my far and away number one course that I have ever played, but this course is in the next tier of favorites that includes (in no particular order): Idlewild, Flip City, Toboggan, and Delaveaga--I would rate it just higher than Holler in the Hills, Waterworks, Renaissance, and the Circle R Ranch courses.

Truly an awesome course

Lula Course

2-4    12/15/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: kdlutz42
Pros: It is obvious this course was designed by a disc golfer that wanted to make a high caliber course. A lot of work was put into the design and the small details in the course including elevating tees and stairs, and maintaining trails between holes. The design is nice because there is a mix of long and short holes and most of the long holes are two shot holes so you don't have to throw super far to be successful on the course, but it is long enough so that it is an advantage.
Cons: You definitely have to drive out of your way to get to this course, but it is well worth it especially if there is a doubles tournament there. Also this course needs at least a B tier tournament to put it on the map so more people will come to practice it. It is a very nice tournament course with no tournaments played there.
Other Thoughts: Although this course is out of the way it can definitely stand as a destination course. I havent tried the zipline course but it looks nice, and there are campsites available.

Well done!

1    9/7/2012   9/7/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Secluded course with 18 holes and dual tee pads for each one. Concrete pads at most holes with a few wooden decks mixed in. Good signs at each hole showing basket positions and length. Also plenty of next tee signs to keep you on the right path.

Excellent hole length variety. Holes ranging from 180' all the way to 810'. Also a nice mix of wooded hole and open holes. There is something for everyone here.

Multiple basket positions. So the layout and angles may change the level of difficulty depending on what the set up is when you play here.

All fairways are cleared well, and offer clear defined paths to the basket. Only the shorter holes have lines that could be considered overly tight.

Good use of elevation. There are up hills and down hills. There is also several basket positions on hill sides to add to the challenge for approaches and putts. Nothing gets monotonous or repetitive.

Nice facilities with cold drinks, clothes and discs. Cool looking building that you can hang out in and have a snack or watch some TV. Camping on site also. Multiple zip lines if you need another reason to come here.
Cons: A couple of the wooden tee pads are a little slippery. I was told that once they have some steady dry weather they will treat them with some coating that will fix the problem.

Lots of straight shots with limited line shaping tests. Seemed as if there were many straight shots and then the basket positioned just left or right of the fairway center line.

Rough can be punishing in spots. Fairways offer plenty of room, but get off and you are in some thick vines, weeds and brush.

A few of the steep hilly fairways could use some stairs to help with the climbs and help with erosion.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course that offers a lot of good holes. There is some nice wooded down hill ace runs, and some longer bombs. There are some uphill shots and even the famous indoor hole complete with a vending machine at the end.

Hole 6 was probably my favorite. It combines about 650' of open field with a dog left left and then about a 150' up hill shot through the woods. I love holes that combine a couple different elements like that.

The first few holes are short wooded holes that offer some nice ace chances. But don't let the start fool you, this course has plenty of length, and plenty of chances to get yourself in trouble.

The best way I can explain this course is that if Stan McDaniel was in a really good mood one day, this is something he might design. It has some long wooded holes with punishing rough. It just doesn't have the holes with the landing zones and extremely tight gaps. You are punished for mistakes here, but it doesn't seem like it was designed to intentionally put you through the ringer. I guess I would classify it as tough, but very fair. Play clean and you are OK. Plus there are no holes where I thought the lines were too tight or that contained trees in the middle of the fairway.

This course if definitely worth playing, even if it's a little out of the way. Keep in mind that it gets pretty hot in a Georgia summer, and this course has some steep hills and long open walks. Bring good shoes and plenty of water.

Big time fun!

1    8/11/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: BamaSlamaJim
Pros: Wow, this course is definitely a must-play destination type of course. It's very cool to be incorporated with the canopy tour, but the course stands on its own as sweet.

The hole variety, beauty, and challenge are all top-notch. You will definitely need a wide variety of shots in your bag, plus patience and endurance to score well here. I played one round from the longs and one round from the shorts and will probably play the shorts again next time as those longs are very long and tough.

This course is never boring with long holes, short holes, all kinds of curves and elevation, tight lines, and more open bombs.

The course is just a hair behind my favorite course, Steady Ed.
Cons: The rough is very rough in places and it is tough to find your disc at times. The walk is a bit grueling and there are times when it's hard to keep your footing going up and down hills at angles.
Other Thoughts: A definite must-play in Georgia. I can't wait to play this course again someday.

Tired

1    6/9/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: willyb943
Pros: We had a blast. It was a great workout for us. The change from playing in the open to trees and then in the chicken coop.And having a drink machine was nice at the chicken coop. We hope to play again soon.
Cons: It would be nice to have some sort of steps up and down the steep hills.
Other Thoughts: Even being a two hour drive from where we live i look forward to playing again.