Northville, MI
Hole #2 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1    7/31/2015   8/9/2015
Review By: qball027
Pros: Good variety of holes and provides a good challenge.
Some very fun hole such as #3 and #16.
Cons: Graffiti and missing signs.
Other Thoughts: Still a very good course despite the graffiti and missing signs. I would highly recommend this course.

1    7/30/2015   7/30/2015
Review By: reichmusic
Pros: -great variety of distances
-great variety of shot shapes
-forces you to bh,fh, thumbers etc
--good paths
-cleared woods for errant throws
-concrete pads
-nice shade for hot summer days
-makes good use of ample elevation
- two sets of tee
Cons: -due to pathetic local jerks, there are some missing signs, graffiti, some trash.
-I went early in the morning and had the place to myself, saw a lot of people exercising, running , biking, etc- hopefully the park usage with positive people, will keep the bad apples out.
-unmarked tee pads, which is long/short?
- very confusing around hole 14-16, I think we shot at the wrong basket, and then got off somehow, but our safari golf ended up ok
Other Thoughts: This could be a five star course with some tender love and care.
I understand there may be a problem with low life vandals, so it's not worth making new signs, but you may try do other methods of marking. Mark each basket with colored tape yellow/white to give the direction of the next tee pad.
Mark each tee pad with a little colored paint to tell you what pad you are on with the corresponding hole number. (You may even add a yardage, par, and a basket shot shape to where the target basket will be.). Vandals can only paint over it, which you can repaint. 99 cents per can. These two additions would help tremendously.

The udisc app helped with the mapping.

Huge potential course, wish it was my home course, I'd spend everyday making improvements.

good course, could be great

5+    6/5/2013   6/5/2015
Review By: zetterbeard
This review was updated on 6/9/2015
Pros: -Great variety of holes, ranging from long and open, long and wooded, short and wooded, short and open, and everything in between. If you play this course from the long tees, which I always did and I HIGHLY suggest you do too, this course offers some incredible variety that will require you to throw long and accurately.

-Great difficulty from the long tees. Unless you have a cannon surgically attached to your arm, good luck getting a birdie let alone par on 2 and 16. Lots of holes have steep dropoffs next to the basket, so plan your putts and approaches carefully!

-Some of my favorite holes are on this course. Granted, I've played it more than any other course, but some holes, such as 3 and 5, are awesome. Throwing off the top of the hill on 3 is really fun. Watch out for the wind!

-If you're wanting to get a quick round in, you can easily play 1-12 and walk back to your car. 13-18 are pretty good, but 1-12 will give you a good variety of holes. Especially if you're playing the long tees, holes 1-12 are about 4,000 ft, which is longer than some entire courses.

-Both long and short tees have nice, long concrete pads.
Cons: -The biggest con for this course is sadly the other people that seem to congregate here. Watch out for "cassholes." For some reason, this course attracts a certain kind of person who has no problem trashing the course, spray painting hole signs, breaking trees, or straight up removing signs from the hole.

-Which leads me into another con, if you haven't played this before, I can see it being difficult to navigate. Do yourself a favor and print off or save the map image to your phone so you can navigate it easier.

-I guess this goes for all wooded courses, but if you get off the fairway, you may have a hard time either finding your disc or having a decent line. This is especially true for 13-15 or so, some of the holes are heavily wooded and you can easily lose a disc in plain sight. I've seen it happen sadly.

-This course can get very, VERY busy. Plan your play time accordingly. Come (if you can) when people are working or in the morning, like 8-11 am.
Other Thoughts: -I say that this course could be great because of how it's maintained and the people that come there. If it charged even like $1-2, that would scare away a lot of the people who loiter at the course and trash and/or damage it.

-For several years, this course was my "home course." I've probably played it 40-50 times. I haven't played it in awhile, but I always make a point to when I'm back in town.

-If you got the arm or are an intermediate+ disc golfer, PLAY THE LONG TEES!!! Seriously. It's so much better and awesome.

-If you park in the parking lot off of Hines Drive, hole 1 starts near the end (east side) of the parking lot. Follow the walking path and look for a dirt path that will enter the woods which should put you at the long tee for hole 1.

-First timers might want to print off the map or put it on your phone. Several holes have no signage or may be difficult figuring out where to go.

-Is this course worth driving 1-2 hours for? Eh, that's debatable. But if you find yourself within 30 miles of it, I'd recommend checking it out.

First time cass

1    1/1/2015   1/2/2015
Review By: Zinc_Alloy
Pros: Proper length concrete pads. Respectable looking baskets. 18 holes. Picking, throwing and holding lines is at a premium as is the ability to throw any shot from pad to pad. Nice elevation changes and some tough side hill lies from the fairways. Hitting the fairways and at the best angle is key on the longer holes.
Cons: Very narrow windows to hit from off the tee. Holes are difficult to locate and signs are missing. A lot of short holes(200 and under).
Other Thoughts: I want to like this course but cant get over the gimmicky feel to it. Most of the holes are rocs or buzzzs and then hope to not hit a wall of trees directly in your path to the basket. I did find the longer holes(open field throws, basically) to be somewhat challenging especially when faced with a severe sidehill lie with an approach around 300ish. A lack of medium range holes is its biggest drawback. I would not drive a long distance to play this course, id go to kenningston instead.

The Good, the Bad and the Weird

1    6/7/2014   6/7/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Starts out the a challenging shot through the woods and then opens up into some very cool open holes on 2 and the signature hole #3.

Three is a very fun 600 or so ft drive down a large hill and then you end up Ina basket by a very pretty creek.

It varies between short heavily wooded holes and longer more open ones with some challenging lines and elevation changes.

There is potential here for a 4 or better rated course.
Cons: Unfortunately there are some significant things holding it back. Most of the signs are vandalized or stolen.

You can't find the first teepad without a guide, and when I got there there was a shady guy selling discs with other peoples ink on them, and a few guys sitting around smoking.

There are fallen trees everywhere and the fairways are generally poorly maintained.

A lot of people in a few places just hanging around, a lot of them doing things that shouldn't be done on a course, in public, or at all really.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course, I didn't like how crowded it was with non players and the massive amount of vandalism that goes on.

This should be a top rated course but the aesthetic hold it back.

Great Bones

5+    4/10/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: CassBenton
Pros: Great elevation and diversity. Tight trees and wide open fields. Some really long holes and plenty of ace looks. Benches at almost every hole. I got my first ace here!
Cons: It's free. Sounds like a positive except for all the casuals and almost complete lack of upkeep this causes. Lots of downed trees especially on holes 9 and 10. Most of the signs have been stolen, if they're still there they are covered in crappy graffiti (tags not art). A lot of holes get torn up and muddy early in the season, and never have a chance to recover. Very busy in the warmer months.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, started playing it almost a decade ago. It's gotten progressively worse as the years go by. Its got some of the best geography/topography of any course in SE Michigan, and some truly classic holes. Really wish it was pay-to-play. Still a great course and I play it all the time.

Wish I played here back in the day

1    9/1/2012   2/28/2014
Review By: donnyv
Pros: Cass Benton has a fairly decent sized area for the disc golf course. I can imagine it was one of the best in the state when it first opened. There are many distinct holes on the course and it never became boring or frustrating. The terrain is perfect for a disc golf course. I was only able to play this gem once a few years back and wish I could play it more.

While we had a blast that day, you could tell that this place had seen better days. For some reason (budget?) this course has seemingly been forgotten by the park. Maybe it's lacking a dedicated club? The course needs some work to get it back into its prime.

Below are a few things that are worth mentioning...

Length/Variety/Challenge - Plenty of chances to open it up on a few, while also containing some technical holes to balance it out. Elevation and water came into play on a handful of holes. Even though I played horrible in the front, I came back around on the back 9 and enjoyed the challenge of the entire course. The concrete tees and baskets were in good shape.

Dedicated Space to Disc Golf - Didn't have to worry about joggers, walkers or picnickers strolling through the area. The park is big and a good chunk of it is dedicated to the disc golf course. The course does play near a sledding hill but doesn't seem too bad.

Free - No charge to enter the park and no fee to play disc golf. Being that it is free, it can become quite crowded, which can be a con. There are also many other things to do in the park for non-dgers.
Cons: CONS:

Used and Abused - There is definite signs of wear on the course. With all the traffic the course gets, there were numerous worn out paths of bare dirt and damaged trees from discs. Every tee sign was damaged and/or had graffiti on them. Trash cans were overfull and some were dumped over. Not cool.

Upkeep - There were downed trees in multiple areas on the course. From the looks of it they have been there for a while. I'm not sure why the parks dept wouldn't cut them up. Some areas didn't look very safe but we played on anyways. The grass was a little taller than we'd like but it wasn't as bad as waist-deep Riverbends back home.

Crowds - Finding the course inside the park was a little tough the first time we stopped there. The place was packed and parking was sorta sketchy. Being a free course, it brings dger's from all over the place. We were lucky to find a parking spot. It might be a problem on busier days. At least we didn't run into any rude people.

Tourneys - As far as I know, there is little to no tournament play at Cass. It is large enough to hold a good tournament but I don't know if it's because of the red-tape or just because it's in a trashed state.
Other Thoughts: Overall, we had a good time at Cass Benton. It would be great to see it in its glory someday. I'd give it a 3.75 in its current condition, but I see the potential for it to climb as high as 4.25 if it could be cleaned up some. It's still worth playing and you'll probably have a nice round if you can get out there during the off-peak hrs. Give it a try sometime and I'm sure you'll see that there IS potential for it to get back on track.

Spray paint and sequins...

1    11/5/2013   11/5/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Aesthetic-- plays through a LARGE metro park type park in the suburbs of detroit. park is free to play (huge plus) but may also be a big reason for the dilapidation of this course.

Teepads-- good and in nice repair. adequate length concrete pads

Routing and nav-- not overly hard... the hill with 14-17 is a big cluster eff and a little harder to route on. Next Tee signs are somewhat helpful.

Baskets-- in reasonable shape. many have been spray painted RED facing the teepad? Not sure why, this doesn't really increase visibility at all, it may hurt some actually.

Variety and Challenge-- abound here... there is so much variety here... Length of the long tees is great and it is wonderful to mix long shots to air your arm out with the occasional short technical holes to bring you back to earth.

Elevation-- used effectively where there is elevation. some of the walk-ups are pretty brutal and slick after rains..

Vandalism-- ugh, it's awful here. EVERY sign that was actually still there was spray painted and/or covered in stickers and impossible to read. Even the trees weren't safe, many of the trees are COVERED in spraypaint. I don't get the desperation of people to spray paint trees.

Storm damage-- still evident. Bird's Bane is BRUTAL with downed trees but made the hole a bit more fun...

Baskets-- although the baskets are in good repair, many of them are mounted in little slabs of flat concrete making them ridiculously easy to steal. I have never seen baskets mounted this way. I always assumed that they were mounted in a deep hole with concrete tubes? #2 could slide down the hole at any time...
This was my #150 course. I had a good time, certainly the best course of the day but this course needs some serious TLC. I'm not sure if it's locale or what the issue is but the vandalism is out of control here...
Somehow, it needs to be reigned in.

eh, not what they make it out to be

5+    9/7/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: jswoods1984
Pros: Nice variety of holes, some technical and some open. Get opportunites for the shorties as well as the bombers.
Cons: Lots of trees down, very busy, a lot of punk kids running around backing things up. Not the place to be if you want a relaxing round or don't like dealing with idiots.

Like playing with an endangered animal.

2-4    7/27/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: Trizzor
This review was updated on 9/10/2013
Pros: Amazing diversity here, so fun and so much variety.
Well thought out holes, not your typical wooded hook to the left/right.
Free - Also a Con; I lived within 4 miles of this course for almost 20 years and never knew it was there.
Cons: Japanese Giant Hornets... Have burrows at a few holes, careful where you walk!
The course is in terrible shape; mostly due to teens tearing it apart. Broken baskets, trash and glass everywhere. No respect for nature or the game.
Free - Also a Pro; I wish it were pay-to-play. To deter teens that use it as a hang-out and keep maintenance up.
Extremely busy after noon to evening.
Other Thoughts: I titled the review "Like playing with an endangered animal" because I feel one of these days the course will be closed from the vandalism without warning. At that point, it will be extinct.

EDIT: I went back to Cass recently.
If this course was pay-to-play, it would be a 5. Its that fun, but its also in that bad of shape.
I just wish I could have played here before it went bad.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7