Northville, MI
Cass Benton Hills DGC Share
Uploaded By: CMUviolin Hole #3
Hole #3 740ft. Throwing from this hole is amazing

Good coures but not great

1    7/24/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: nofxorbust
Pros: -Free to play
-Pro and AM tees
-Mix of open holes and tight shots
Cons: -Poorly maintained
-Lots of course traffic
-Missing signs
-Lack of trash cans
-Lots of down trees
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course but it could be a great course. Some of the holes are missing their signs and navigation from hole to hole can sometimes be confusing. If you care about time avoid this course during peak hours because it gets backed up fast. Overall this could be a great pro caliber course. It has a good mix of wide open big drives and tight wooded precision shots. I defiantly plan on coming back to play this course again.

Not the same

5+    7/10/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: STXCougar
Pros: Good variety of shots and elevation changes. Free to play. wide enough fairways that if you botch a throw you wont lose a disc
Cons: Poorly cared for course now. Lots of slow moving groups it seems when i play.
Other Thoughts: Not the same since the state stopped funding it

Nice Hills and Creeks.

1    7/17/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: AKormendi
Pros: Lots of elevation changes, good variety in shots. A lot of tight tree shots in the woods, outside of the woods long big fairways. Some sharp hooks to force you to learn your hyzers. Most of the roughs are pretty open, making for easy disc finding, though in the sunnier areas, some of the edges are quite thickly grown. Hole 12 is absolutely gorgeous with a little creek winding through it. Many fallen trees give this course a unique and picturesque appearance. Hole 3 and 18 are both extremely long, 3 from the top of the hill, 18 with a right dogleg.
Cons: A little difficult to find your way around. A lot of the tee signs have been removed/destroyed, but with a few exceptions it's not too bad to find your way around, and if you find yourself shooting at a black ace, there's still good play to be had. The concrete tees at get you started. Hole 1 has been crushed by a tree, you can still hit the chains, but landing it in the basket is a different matter. This course is strenuous. Expect to get a good workout on your legs going up and down hills and climbing over the fallen trees. Erosion has definitely aged this course, making some of the concrete tees undesirably sandy. Running water behind Hole 3's basket can take your disc away if you overshoot.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely one of the finest courses in the area, and I will definitely be making the trek out there more in the future. It easily competes with Hudson Mills for scenery, design, and challenge, while offering more shade and being free of charge. Took us a little bit to find the first tee, but after that, this course was pure discing joy. If you're in southeast Michigan and haven't played this course yet, remedy this as soon as possible. The rest of the park looks to offer a pretty good and scenic time, too, if you've not got the desire to throw anymore.

Re: Cassholes and litter, the condition on the course was pretty good today. We arrived a little before noon on a saturday, and found the people friendly, the course quite clean and uncrowded. Hopefully this is a sign of a change in attitude, and not just us lucking out.

Good mix of difficulty

2-4    7/4/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: mdarket
This review was updated on 7/17/2010
Pros: There are many challenging holes. Each hole has different obstacles to overcome. There are a few holes that could be aced.
Cons: Quicksand like mud on hole 11. Lots of trees to play through.
Other Thoughts: Good local course. Well maintained.

July 17th - basket on hole 1 was crushed by a fallen tree.

Good course in need of help

5+    7/2/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: Gifted
Pros: -Great technical shots
-Great forgiving "catch-up" shots
-A few ace run holes
-Decent sinage and naming for the holes
-Tables/Seating at most holes
-Nice scenery
-Right along Hines Dr. so easy to get to.
Cons: -As someone else stated, all the Cassholes
-Many large groups play, and none understand the concept of "playing through"
-Littered badly
-No land care (i.e huge trees down, city hasn't fixed, trimmed, or cleared out anything in over 2 years)
-Vandalism
Other Thoughts: If the city would just reguard this as a great attraction, maybe start charging the average $2 to keep all the inbreds off the course and to also KEEP UP THE COURSE. This is a great place I've been playing for 12 years and last year through now is the worst I have ever seen the course. Both populous wise and course care.

Buyer Beware

5+    5/14/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: esdubya
Other Thoughts: Sure, Cass Benton is a great course but you will have a drastically different experience depending on when you play it.

For best results, play early in the morning or wintertime.

If you want to have a long frustrating distracting round with a bunch of "cass-holes" then play afternoon on a nice day. It gets worse here than anywhere else in Michigan, in my opinion.

Let's put aside the casual player issue just for a minute here and talk about just the course.
Actually, the course itself was once great. Now it is good. The number of trees taken down by cass-holes and ash borers has opened up the line-of-flight to make it easier in general. It can get muddy. Teepads are still in OK shape. Navigation between holes is pretty easy. Signage is spotty.

The land here has the potential to house a 5 star course but as it stands now my experience at Cass is worth about a 2.5 star. This course is 10 minutes away from where I live and I rarely play it.

I can't offer a solution other than to take it out for a few years to let the land recover. Everyone around here is scared of that happening though because then the cass-holes will start to wander around to other area courses. Best to keep them in one spot, even though that spot is hurting. It's sad, really.

Very fun!

5+    5/23/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: raaf13
Pros: Free!
Course is very well designed
Good placement of pro/am tees
Great variety in holes
Cons: Course isn't very clean, lots of litter, vandelism, etc. (But its a free course)
Tendancy to be muddy
Can be very crowded at times
Other Thoughts: This course is probably one of the best I have played. If a few minor things were fixed it would be amazing!

Amazing place

5+    4/5/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: taboo8614
This review was updated on 4/12/2010
Pros:
18 holes with lots of woods
Long drives
A really good challenge every time through
Cons:
Needs more trash cans
Some of the trees could be cleared up
Can be hard if it's your first time
Can get quite crowded at times
Could use some more brakes on 13-18
Could build some more holes on the other side of the street

My favorite course...so far

2-4    10/25/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: futant462
This review was updated on 9/3/2014
Pros: As a beginner this course has been the most challenging of the metro Detroit courses to play. I love the challenge of playing from the Long Tees even though I don't have a great arm yet. Hole 3 has the great view and is obviously the highlight, but I like Hole 15 the best due to the fun downhill shot into the woods. The first time I played it I set my drive down about 7 feet from the basket. Just walking through the course is great with all the wooded trails and the terrain changes. The last time I played (10/24) the leaves were in peak colors and made for a beautiful discing experience!
Cons: My cons have to do with the upkeep of the signs. Graffiti and missing signage are my main pet peeves when it comes to disc golf courses and I don't understand the mentality of the people who feel the need to ruin the details that make a course so special. When I see pictures of courses that have clean signs, brooms at the tee pads, covered sitting areas, mowed grass, etc. They may be small things compared to course design and location but if Cass Benton had those details in place it would be rated higher.

As far as the course being crowded, I haven't really experienced that but I can certainly understand. I've only played there on Sunday's around noon and I've always had good luck with moving through the course easily without much wait. I cannot vouch for the other days of the week.
Other Thoughts: I've only been playing disc golf for less than a year but the most fun I've had on a course has been the 4 times I've played here. The scenery, the challenge, the length, this is the best course I've played...so far. Next summer my friends and I are traveling to Ludington to play the Beast, Leviathan, and finally Flip City. I cannot express how excited I am for that trip and I assume I will have a new favorite course after I return.

EDIT from 9/3/14: Flip City is my favorite course now :)

The signs at Cass Benton have really been terrorized by vandals which is a shame since it's one of the nicer courses in the area. Since 2009 I've played the course a few times and each time has been busier than the last. Try to go earlier in the morning and avoid Memorial Day!

I've re-rated the course a 3 because it's condition has deteriorated over time and the courses I've played since then have proven how beautiful a well-tended disc golf course can be.

Too many people

5+    11/3/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: bpatton
Pros: Playing the longs makes the course much more difficult.
The variety of the holes tests all aspects of your game.
Very convenient location.

This has been my home course on and off for about 5 years. It has changed every year because of the emerald ash borer knocking out many of the trees that "back in the day" made the course more difficult. For this reason, I consider this course to be the "standard", in the area, for judging whether or not you have the skills to make the jump to the long tees. This course is pretty easy to shoot under par on from the shorts. However, from the long tees, this course is a much more difficult experience. Shooting scratch from the longs is much more impressive that ripping off a -8 from the shorts.
Cons: The very convenient location makes for the most crowded course I have ever experienced in almost 11 years of playing. During peak periods, expect groups of 10+. Also, average wait time on any hole at any given time is about 10 minutes during peak times.

The vandalism is not as rampant as it used to be, most of the signs having been destroyed years ago.
Other Thoughts: The best times to come to this course are early afternoon/morning. Also, if you come on Friday, the course is much less crowded between 4 and 7. I think it has something to do with all the damn teenagers and alcoholics having better places to be horrible.