Northville, MI
Cass Benton Hills DGC Share
Hole #2 Long Tee

Good course in need of help

5+    7/2/2010   7/2/2010
Review By: Gifted
Pros: -Great technical shots
-Great forgiving "catch-up" shots
-A few ace run holes
-Decent sinage and naming for the holes
-Tables/Seating at most holes
-Nice scenery
-Right along Hines Dr. so easy to get to.
Cons: -As someone else stated, all the Cassholes
-Many large groups play, and none understand the concept of "playing through"
-Littered badly
-No land care (i.e huge trees down, city hasn't fixed, trimmed, or cleared out anything in over 2 years)
-Vandalism
Other Thoughts: If the city would just reguard this as a great attraction, maybe start charging the average $2 to keep all the inbreds off the course and to also KEEP UP THE COURSE. This is a great place I've been playing for 12 years and last year through now is the worst I have ever seen the course. Both populous wise and course care.

Buyer Beware

5+    5/14/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: esdubya
Other Thoughts: Sure, Cass Benton is a great course but you will have a drastically different experience depending on when you play it.

For best results, play early in the morning or wintertime.

If you want to have a long frustrating distracting round with a bunch of "cass-holes" then play afternoon on a nice day. It gets worse here than anywhere else in Michigan, in my opinion.

Let's put aside the casual player issue just for a minute here and talk about just the course.
Actually, the course itself was once great. Now it is good. The number of trees taken down by cass-holes and ash borers has opened up the line-of-flight to make it easier in general. It can get muddy. Teepads are still in OK shape. Navigation between holes is pretty easy. Signage is spotty.

The land here has the potential to house a 5 star course but as it stands now my experience at Cass is worth about a 2.5 star. This course is 10 minutes away from where I live and I rarely play it.

I can't offer a solution other than to take it out for a few years to let the land recover. Everyone around here is scared of that happening though because then the cass-holes will start to wander around to other area courses. Best to keep them in one spot, even though that spot is hurting. It's sad, really.

Very fun!

5+    5/23/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: raaf13
Pros: Free!
Course is very well designed
Good placement of pro/am tees
Great variety in holes
Cons: Course isn't very clean, lots of litter, vandelism, etc. (But its a free course)
Tendancy to be muddy
Can be very crowded at times
Other Thoughts: This course is probably one of the best I have played. If a few minor things were fixed it would be amazing!

Amazing place

5+    4/5/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: taboo8614
This review was updated on 4/12/2010
Pros:
18 holes with lots of woods
Long drives
A really good challenge every time through
Cons:
Needs more trash cans
Some of the trees could be cleared up
Can be hard if it's your first time
Can get quite crowded at times
Could use some more brakes on 13-18
Could build some more holes on the other side of the street

My favorite course...so far

2-4    10/25/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: futant462
This review was updated on 9/3/2014
Pros: As a beginner this course has been the most challenging of the metro Detroit courses to play. I love the challenge of playing from the Long Tees even though I don't have a great arm yet. Hole 3 has the great view and is obviously the highlight, but I like Hole 15 the best due to the fun downhill shot into the woods. The first time I played it I set my drive down about 7 feet from the basket. Just walking through the course is great with all the wooded trails and the terrain changes. The last time I played (10/24) the leaves were in peak colors and made for a beautiful discing experience!
Cons: My cons have to do with the upkeep of the signs. Graffiti and missing signage are my main pet peeves when it comes to disc golf courses and I don't understand the mentality of the people who feel the need to ruin the details that make a course so special. When I see pictures of courses that have clean signs, brooms at the tee pads, covered sitting areas, mowed grass, etc. They may be small things compared to course design and location but if Cass Benton had those details in place it would be rated higher.

As far as the course being crowded, I haven't really experienced that but I can certainly understand. I've only played there on Sunday's around noon and I've always had good luck with moving through the course easily without much wait. I cannot vouch for the other days of the week.
Other Thoughts: I've only been playing disc golf for less than a year but the most fun I've had on a course has been the 4 times I've played here. The scenery, the challenge, the length, this is the best course I've played...so far. Next summer my friends and I are traveling to Ludington to play the Beast, Leviathan, and finally Flip City. I cannot express how excited I am for that trip and I assume I will have a new favorite course after I return.

EDIT from 9/3/14: Flip City is my favorite course now :)

The signs at Cass Benton have really been terrorized by vandals which is a shame since it's one of the nicer courses in the area. Since 2009 I've played the course a few times and each time has been busier than the last. Try to go earlier in the morning and avoid Memorial Day!

I've re-rated the course a 3 because it's condition has deteriorated over time and the courses I've played since then have proven how beautiful a well-tended disc golf course can be.

Too many people

5+    11/3/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: bpatton
Pros: Playing the longs makes the course much more difficult.
The variety of the holes tests all aspects of your game.
Very convenient location.

This has been my home course on and off for about 5 years. It has changed every year because of the emerald ash borer knocking out many of the trees that "back in the day" made the course more difficult. For this reason, I consider this course to be the "standard", in the area, for judging whether or not you have the skills to make the jump to the long tees. This course is pretty easy to shoot under par on from the shorts. However, from the long tees, this course is a much more difficult experience. Shooting scratch from the longs is much more impressive that ripping off a -8 from the shorts.
Cons: The very convenient location makes for the most crowded course I have ever experienced in almost 11 years of playing. During peak periods, expect groups of 10+. Also, average wait time on any hole at any given time is about 10 minutes during peak times.

The vandalism is not as rampant as it used to be, most of the signs having been destroyed years ago.
Other Thoughts: The best times to come to this course are early afternoon/morning. Also, if you come on Friday, the course is much less crowded between 4 and 7. I think it has something to do with all the damn teenagers and alcoholics having better places to be horrible.

Warning

1    9/11/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: Juglaz
Pros: - great variety
- multiple pads
- good signage
- elevation changes

Cons: This is a great course, but I just wanted to add that people have a tendency to steal discs here. I played there once and had two discs stolen down fairway on the same day!

my home course

5+    8/31/2009   8/31/2009
Review By: drummerjunkie101
Pros: -- holes where always a good length
-- lots of fun obstacles
-- never any long grass, so its easy to find discs
-- water comes into play but you only have to worry on hole 2
--all around fun course
-- people bring thair dogs!
Cons: -- to go at 2:30 to 6:30 its gona be crowded
-- i think theirs a league on mondays
-- everyonce n awhile i find some people smokeing the magic tobbacoo openly, people please smoke it before or after your game.
-- i wached as a dog ran up and stole some guys disc, the guy was kinda mad but got it back(most of it).
Other Thoughts: --people complane about fallin trees, but i did not notice them at first, they are just more obstacles.
-- seriously! do you have to smoke the magic tobbacoo while playing, a lot of time i bring family.

Frusterating beauty

1    8/24/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Great concrete tee pads
Baskets are quite solid
Great variety of long and short holes.
Excellent variety of tight wooded holes and wide open holes.
Signature hole three is and absolute stunner
Course plays more challenging than most courses
Layout design uses the overall size of the park well
Dual tees are a nice touch
Water comes into play on a few holes

Cons: Lots of navigation problems
1/3 of tee signs when I played were stolen.
Numerous downed trees in the forest
Vandalism issues, graffiti, trash
most of the second tees are relatively unimaginative, they don't really create a new shot or change the hole, they're just a bit shorter.
Other Thoughts: This course left an unfortunate bad taste in my mouth, playing the course for the first time without a guide was definitely a huge mistake. There is no indication of where the first tee is from the parking lot, having course maps would be a huge improvement. Some of the walkouts are completely unmarked and I needed the help of some kind park walkers several times. Part of this problem comes from the 6 or 7 tee signs that have been torn down. Honestly the course design warrants a 4 star review but my round felt more like a 3, I'll give the course a 3.5 because playing it again with others would've improved the experience greatly.

5+    5/10/2009   8/1/2009
Review By: toxicgolfer
Pros: This is a excellent course with tons of shot variation, elevation changes, and gorgeous scenery. The designer of the course definetly used the land to its full potential. There are cement tee boxes on every hole, many with both pro and am tees and most of the holes have signs. Players of all skill levels will have a good time.
Cons: If it rains, some of the holes have a tendency to be very muddy. All together, the only reason this course is a 4-disc instead of 5 is due to the maintenance of the course. There are downed trees, grafitti, and some missing signs for the holes. As much as I would prefer not to pay for a course, this one could definetly use the money to keep up the course. Trust me, it would be worth it.
Other Thoughts: The bugs aren't that bad so the Cutter and OFF! aren't really necessary. Make a whole afternoon of the course and bring some lunch. Also, this course has a tendency to be very busy during the peak times on the weekend and during the afternoon times during the week so have some patience. Most people are pretty cool about letting you play through if you are fast though.