Trophy Club, TX
Trophy Club Park Share
Uploaded By: cc0049 Hole #7 (Taken 4/2011)

New front 9 configuration

1    11/21/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: ikikazz
Pros: Concrete tee pads, wooded, great flow
Cons: Work still needs to be completed, Thorns are pretty bad.
Other Thoughts: Hole 1: Shoots long and straight with two big trees on both sides (about 150' away) then opens fairly nice. Then basket is heavily wooded and tucked behind some trees.

Hole 2: Another long open tee shot leading to a nicely protected basket.

Hole 3: WOAH. heavily wooded, tree cover, trees in the darn way, nicely laid. Sweet putter approach.

Hole 4: see hole 3, but a few more trees to start with!

Hole 5: Hyzer bomb, long and off to the left.

Hole 6: Nice long tunnel shot through an anhyzer to a protect basket.

Hole 7: straight and long, and wooded, and tree covered, and yea did I mention wooded?

Hole 8: SUPER tricky hole, tee pad is tucked in some trees that has a right turn in about 100' then HEAVILY wooded fairway to a pretty open but tricky basket.

Hole 9: Tee box is tucked in some trees, looong shot with a HUGE tree dead center. Then an even longer drive to the basket.

Overall I really enjoyed the course, it is a HUGE improvement over the old, putter only course. Thanks again to everyone involved with the new design.

Great space, Poor Layout

2-4    7/22/2012   7/28/2012
Review By: thejake78
This review was updated on 2/17/2014
Pros: - The baskets are in good shape
- Course is in a nice park with views of Lake Grapevine
- Some of the holes provide a decent technical challenge
- Signs are in place at the tee-boxes
Cons: - No concrete tee boxes. Tee boxes are mulch, covered pad which can become quite uneven. Makes for tricky footing.
- Brush is thick and has bite to it; lots of thorny weeds, grass burrs, and prickly pear will punish you while retrieving an errant throw
- Course design leaves a lot to be desired. The first nine holes are short, <150ft generally. #12 and #16 are laid out as u-turns. There is not enough hyzer/anhyzer in the world to make those angles...unless maybe you had a boomerang (Boomerang golf anyone?)
- Navigation, particularly on the back nine can be a bit confusing at times. Consult a map if you're unfamiliar with the course
Other Thoughts: ** NOTE: This review is for the "old" 18 hole layout. I will re-review when redesign is complete ** The stated intent of the design on the park's website is as follows: "The front 9 was built for beginner/moderate players, and the back 9 was built for expert players. " I can understand the concept, but it just doesn't lead to a good overall flow to the course. Add in the bizarre design of some of the holes, which makes you wonder if the designer ever has actually played disc golf before, and you are left with a somewhat unsatisfying experience.

Park entrance is $1. I have no real problem with pay to play, but I'm not sure this is the course that is going to make people willing to pay up.

This course is close to my house, and I would love if it were a decent or better course. I will probably play it again in the future as it is so close, but it is not a "destination" course for those outside the area. A redesign could do wonders with the available land

Terrible

1    6/10/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: Smickie
Pros: It's a pretty park.
Cons: Like the previous reviewer said, "it's a putt-putt course". You literally only need a putter for the front and a machete for the back. No throwing lanes. Course must have been designed by someone who has never played the game in their life.
Other Thoughts: They have the room and the beauty of the park to make this a great course, they just obviously don't know what they are doing. The park is great though, not many people out here so leave your discs at home and bring some swim trunks and a cooler.

Worst course I've played to date.

1    4/18/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: zendragon
Pros: I agree with the previous remarks. ... It had baskets.
Cons: The first nine holes were so short, I didn't even need a mid range disc, just my putter.
The back nine were just confusing, even with a map.
It was heavily wooded with thorns everywhere. Throwing a disc in any wooded area meant cuts on legs and arms.
I had to pay a dollar to play it. Which was entirely too much.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the worst course I have ever played. What bothered me the most about this though is all the potential it had. Like lake Lewsiville's course, this was off a lake, in wooded and hilly areas in a park off a highway. And that's where the similarities stopped.
The front nine felt like a put put course. Even with that, there were some technical shots, so I was willing to give it a chance and hoped the more recently added back nine would be an improvement.
Hole ten was the only good hole I played. There were 2 holes on the back nine that were complete u turns that no one in their right mind would think to throw at unless you had a map. It was very awkward looking directly to your right through trees to see the basket you were supposed to be throwing at. No disc was overstable enough, or understable enough to possibly make that turn. It felt as if this course was designed by someone who had no clue how the game was played.

untapped potential

1    11/15/2011   11/15/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: The course has baskets. Now trying to find them is another matter.

There is a lot of untapped land out there that could easily hold an 18 hole course. I see potential for a fun one day tournament/picnic with a few added temp holes.
Cons: Ok, where to start. If I had not printed out the map off the web site (I added the link on this web site today) I would have had even more trouble figuring out the course.

No tee signs and most of the holes do NOT have even flags or worn areas used as tee boxes.

Lots and Lots of thorns, even on some of the fairways. DON'T throw into the brush, you will never get your disc back without spilling blood.
Other Thoughts: Ok, hole by hole recap and review

#1, nice little hyzer shot. The tee was marked with a very worn out flag. My drive got stuck in a tree.....

#2 I was unable to find this hole the first round, I even looked for it for 20 min. The map is NOT correct here. I have NO idea where the real tee is, I teed off from area next to the road down the path to the basket about 400ft away. I took a 3 playing from here only because of a great putt.
#3, there is a good path you can see from the basket over to this tee. As soon as you come to the fairway, the tee is on the other side of the path. It was not really marked, but had a good worn tee box I could see. The hole is a pretty good anhyzer shot about 275 ft. I got my bird here.

#4 Short path to a very short shot though the woods. I tried an over the head shot (tomato, tomahawk, grenade) that got stuck in a tree 20ft from the basket. The fairway is very tight, the over the top shot is good here.

#5 not marked but plaed from a worn spot. Slight anhyzer shot, not a bad hole on the side of an incline.

#6 is across the road, I was unable to find any markings for a tee or even a worn area. I just threw from the corner of the road and woods twards the basket which is tucked into the woods forcing you to have a forehand hyzer or backhand anhyzer shot.

#7 found a bare spot for a tee, it was a 250ft shot though some woods with the basket just outside of the woods. Took my bird here and was happy

#8, this one was hard to find. After playing 7, walk around the wood to a small clearing that had a flag marking the tee. This is a nice little pretty open hyzer shot. I hit the only tree by the basket but still made my 2.

#9, the longest hole on the course, although I was unable to find any tee area. I just teed off near the road about 40ft away from #8's basket. You can't actually see the basket because it is up and over the ridge of the hill. This made the hole pretty good. It is out of my driving range and I was happy to take my 3 and go home.

donovan beat me to it

1    5/18/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -brand new baskets
-great use of open and wooded terrain and elevation changes
-variety of distance and difficulty of lines
-well thought basket placements
-rest rooms (locked when i was there)
-plenty of room to expand or add dual tees or alternate pin locations
-already obvious paths through the woods from basket to new tee from 2-5, lined with tree branches too
Cons: -course is still green so the rough is very rough, lots of thorny stuff
-saw some poison ivy but not too much considering how much schule there is
-no signs or tees yet so navigation is tough on the first two holes
-no trash cans, lots of trash all over
-lots of brush has been cleared out but there are many small stumps, etc. that are easy to trip on.
Other Thoughts: This brand new 9 hole has a lot to offer. The course is not yet complete so, like Donovan, this review is just a preview for people to get an idea of what the course is like. I will be back to update when the course is finished or as it progresses.

The piece of land for the course is great. The road into the park bisects the area the course is in so the holes are split between the two areas. Each side has wooded areas so the holes play into the wooded areas, then through them and then back out. Gives a great variety for 9 holes as the open and wooded holes are mixed together well.

There is still plenty of space around the existing nine holes. The course could easily be expanded and/or support multiple tees or pin locations. The current pin locations make use of the natural obstacles with many placed behind trees on the open holes (1, 4, 8) or tucked into well guarded areas that are tricky to approach (2, 6, 7).

The tees are currently marked with red/orange flags so look out for those. Flags for the first tee are missing but apparently it should be behind the restrooms. I just played from this spot anyway, lucky guess. From basket 1 go toward the boat loading area and then head to the left. Hole 2 plays down the trail. After this the navigation is pretty straight forward. Cross the road after 5 and walk around to the right after 7 and cut into the tree line to find tee 8.

Quick run down of the holes:

1. Open shot across a field with a slight downhill elevation change. The basket is tucked behind two mature trees. About 300'.

2. Long corridor shot that starts off with a left to right curve. Then it straightens out and finally hooks left to a basket hidden behind a small cluster of trees. The rough on the left side is thick, don't hyzer out here!

3. A wide corridor that opens up to a basket on the right side of the clearing, blind from the tee. 250-ish turnover shot for an easy birdie.

4. You'll be glad you bagged that birdie on 3 when you see the window you have to hit on this one. A 3' gap about 20-30' from the tee gives you a slight left to right line. There is an even smaller hyzer route to the right but it's REALLY small. Past the window it's only another 70-80' to the basket. A controlled putter shot through here should have you looking at a birdie putt if you hit the gap.

5. Starting at the edge of the woods you shoot over an open area to a basket hidden behind a tree. Around 250' or less maybe.

6. Open tee across a small field to an opening in the tree line. A quick right turn into the woods and the basket is about 30' deep in the trees.

7. Tees off from inside the woods and plays to a basket just outside the edge of the trees. Fairly open hyzer fairway inside the trees from the tee but the last 30-50' before the before the basket is guarded by a wall of trees on the edge of the woods. Risk/reward situation where you might go for it with a driver and see if you can make it through but a bad bounce off a tree might leave you with no approach. A layup in the landing zone will work too but even then the approach is tough. Fairway is slightly uphill and there is no spike hyzer window.

8. Starts back inside the tree line and out into an open field with a slight downhill. Basket is behind a tree with an OB road just past. Under 300'.

9. Tee out in the open shoots across a field uphill. Basket is between two large trees with an OB road off to the right. About 350'?

I will be back to update this review as the course progresses.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Uncharted Territory

1    5/16/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: Donovan
Pros: I am going to write this review with the promise to come back and update it thoroughly. I just think it would be nice if people actually knew a little about what to expect if they go out there before things are finished. So the 3.0 rating is really just temporary until it is really ready to get a complete rating.

This course has open-holes, wooded holes, nice pin locations, and good tee locations. Because it is new, traffic has not made an impact on the wooded holes yet. I kind of like them a little rough and tight anyway. There is a decent variety in hole length throughout the course. I like that you hit wooded holes and open holes on both the early and later holes. That is a nice variety that keeps things interesting. My favorite hole right now is #7. It is a wooded hole that spits out into the clearing. There are a few routes available right now to choose from. There is a restroom, but it was locked when I was there. Parking is great and I don't expect to many walkers to be in this area very often. The baskets are obviously new and in fine shape.
Cons: The grass really needs to be mowed, as I am sure it will. Watch for the 2 little marker flags for the temporary tee areas. The flags were missing for hole 1 when I was there. The first hole starts behind the restroom. There are not any trashcans out there as of yet either, so hike it out with you. At the time of me playing here the ground was starting to dry up so, I did not run into anything unplayable or too muddy.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor was pretty good. I think there was at least 4 holes where I could see myself wanting to throw another drive on and a couple of basket locations that had me really thinking about how to get to them. That makes a good 9 hole course. I am looking forward to this thing to really start taking shape. You do pay a dollar into a machine to get into the park, but it was not a big deal. Use the restroom right after you pay before driving the rest of the way, just in case the other one is closed. I am looking forward to going back here for sure.