Jacksonville, TX

Hit up the Green!

5+    11/26/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: pablo.diablo
This review was updated on 6/7/2012
Pros: This is a relatively tough 9-hole course. Not a pitch-n-putt like most of them. You will need Distance Drivers from the Blues. From the Reds you don't need anything faster than a Firebird.

It is rather difficult to play both Reds and Blues for 18 holes and break Par. Although, we just declared a couple of Par 4's so it may be easier now.

There are some ace runs but nothing under 250' except for #6 Red which is still tough since you're throwing through the woods at that point and the basket has a couple of trees in front of it. So if you hit an ace here then you deserve it and will be one to tell your buddies about. Hole #1 has a great line to go for a skip shot off the road for an ace opportunity if you throw RHBH or lefty flick.

There are multiple ways to throw each hole. When I designed the course I threw it both sidearm and backhand. So you can throw either way on virtually every hole, although there are usually more definite lines for one or the other.

There is good replay value if you wanna work on your overall game. It's got a good mix of lefts and rights and elevation in my opinion.

The best thing about the course is that the park is virtually never crowded and you will rarely, if ever, see more than one card of disc golfers.

BEST HOLES: #6, #7
Cons: Biggest con is the rough - it is still brutal with thorns, briars, and poison ivy everywhere. We will be cutting more trails this Winter when everything dies again.

The major con on course flow is that #2-4 all play across the same general area so the fairways are nearly shared, but we had severe space restrictions and this was the result. I will remove Hole #2 to fix this and place it elsewhere on the property more deserving.

We had to use cheap DGA M-14 Baskets on 4 holes. I hot-rodded them the best I could. I am not a fan of these baskets, nobody is actually. They're not all that bad with the extra chains.

Unfortunately, I did not get all the baskets installed at regulation heights since I was the one doing all the digging and installation. I will fix them in the Winter.

There are a couple of Tees that will really need concrete pads to be completed.

There is a pond on the property but we have not been able to make use of it yet for a water hole.

We need more holes in the woods. It is surrounded by beautiful pines!

There are a couple long walks between holes.

#7 can be dangerous to sidewalk traffic. You need to definitely yell, "FORE!" and then send a spotter down. Kids will steal your disc if you don't get down there quickly!

If you have any concerns about traffic, safety, or hole locations the first time out then PLEASE PLAY FROM THE REDS FIRST.

WORST HOLE: #9
Other Thoughts: I designed and installed most of the course myself, so I am admittedly biased. I really want more people from East Texas to come check this place out. I try to make improvements and changes based on relevant feedback.

I am planning on redesigns to make every hole special with memorable features. I understand how much better it will be with normal baskets and concrete teepads.

Some holes will be redesigned and the course renumbered in 2012 to address the problems and complaints we have had in Year One.

My rating is based on the fact that this is a 9-hole course, so I am really comparing it to other 9-hole courses and not 18-hole courses for the sake of fairness.

It's best to printout the scorecard-map before you go!