Jacksonville, TX
Nichols Green Share

not good,not bad

1    8/12/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: Kovar34
Pros: Holes 1,2,3 are good. Hole two was the best for me. I have only been playing for little over a year so it was challenging
Cons: Baskets 7,8,9 were gone. Found the blue tee for 5, but never found the basket. Hole 4 basket was too grown up to even play. the fairway on hole 6 looked like a hobo had been living there. Not sure if the basket was even there.
Other Thoughts: i was dissipointed with the course. I looked foward to playing all day only to be able to play 3 holes and walk around for 45 min

not done, but not bad

1    10/13/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: adamlamar
This review was updated on 11/26/2011
Pros: Although it's under construction, it's super playable. Nothing too challenging, but still a test of beginners' skill and a fun 9 holes for seasoned players. It's about a half hour from either Athen's or Tyler, so this stop could be easily added to the lineup if you wanted to hit multiple courses. Legends is just up the road, and it's not a bad place to get a burger.
Cons: It's only 9 holes. Most of the time I don't point this out, but I did wish this was a full 18. Some of the holes do cris-cross each other so playing with more than one or two groups could be a problem. I've heard that the idea for the course is to have 9 baskets with two teeboxes for each. As the fairways already crowd each other, a second set of teeboxes would only complicate things further. There are no signs yet and the teebox for 9 isn't marked. Also, the hole 6 fairway could use a bit more clearing. The trees on that one are super thick.
Other Thoughts: All in all, it's a good start. I'd make the drive again. Keep out of the woods if you can, and don't land in the bushes in the fairways. Either move will result in thorn attacks.

Hit up the Green!

5+    11/26/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: pablo.diablo
This review was updated on 6/7/2012
Pros: This is a relatively tough 9-hole course. Not a pitch-n-putt like most of them. You will need Distance Drivers from the Blues. From the Reds you don't need anything faster than a Firebird.

It is rather difficult to play both Reds and Blues for 18 holes and break Par. Although, we just declared a couple of Par 4's so it may be easier now.

There are some ace runs but nothing under 250' except for #6 Red which is still tough since you're throwing through the woods at that point and the basket has a couple of trees in front of it. So if you hit an ace here then you deserve it and will be one to tell your buddies about. Hole #1 has a great line to go for a skip shot off the road for an ace opportunity if you throw RHBH or lefty flick.

There are multiple ways to throw each hole. When I designed the course I threw it both sidearm and backhand. So you can throw either way on virtually every hole, although there are usually more definite lines for one or the other.

There is good replay value if you wanna work on your overall game. It's got a good mix of lefts and rights and elevation in my opinion.

The best thing about the course is that the park is virtually never crowded and you will rarely, if ever, see more than one card of disc golfers.

BEST HOLES: #6, #7
Cons: Biggest con is the rough - it is still brutal with thorns, briars, and poison ivy everywhere. We will be cutting more trails this Winter when everything dies again.

The major con on course flow is that #2-4 all play across the same general area so the fairways are nearly shared, but we had severe space restrictions and this was the result. I will remove Hole #2 to fix this and place it elsewhere on the property more deserving.

We had to use cheap DGA M-14 Baskets on 4 holes. I hot-rodded them the best I could. I am not a fan of these baskets, nobody is actually. They're not all that bad with the extra chains.

Unfortunately, I did not get all the baskets installed at regulation heights since I was the one doing all the digging and installation. I will fix them in the Winter.

There are a couple of Tees that will really need concrete pads to be completed.

There is a pond on the property but we have not been able to make use of it yet for a water hole.

We need more holes in the woods. It is surrounded by beautiful pines!

There are a couple long walks between holes.

#7 can be dangerous to sidewalk traffic. You need to definitely yell, "FORE!" and then send a spotter down. Kids will steal your disc if you don't get down there quickly!

If you have any concerns about traffic, safety, or hole locations the first time out then PLEASE PLAY FROM THE REDS FIRST.

WORST HOLE: #9
Other Thoughts: I designed and installed most of the course myself, so I am admittedly biased. I really want more people from East Texas to come check this place out. I try to make improvements and changes based on relevant feedback.

I am planning on redesigns to make every hole special with memorable features. I understand how much better it will be with normal baskets and concrete teepads.

Some holes will be redesigned and the course renumbered in 2012 to address the problems and complaints we have had in Year One.

My rating is based on the fact that this is a 9-hole course, so I am really comparing it to other 9-hole courses and not 18-hole courses for the sake of fairness.

It's best to printout the scorecard-map before you go!

Well done

1    7/21/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: chalos13
Pros: Disclaimer: this course is in development.  But that's really not fair to say.  It's got 9 holes in, posts by every tee pad and the dirt tees are getting nicely worn in.  I'm played some courses that have been up for a few years that needed tons of work compared to this one, so I'd say this course is well on its way to being excellent.
Great hole layout - the holes here are well planned, challenging, and vary from right to left.  Even playing some of my favorite courses, I get to a particular hole (3 at Cain Park) and in my head I'm thinking screw this hole.  This one all of them were challenging, but seemed doable even on a first run out.
Excellent use of elevation - somehow this course manages to use a lot of elevation, but never play uphill.  I don't have a ton of power, so I hate playing uphill.  This course had several long downhill slopes, but there was always a catch.  4 is a nice shot up and down a little incline, but at the end it doglegs right off into the woods.  7 is a great downhill shot, but there's trees 2/3rds of the way down blocking you, so you still have to throw high or a long annhyzer.
Some of the holes here were pretty forgiving, for instance 4:  If you throw a low power shot that fades way left, you're farther away but you have a straight shot at the hole, where as if you get right up close in the middle, you m,ay be throwing out and around some trees on your approach.
The park wasn't crowded when I was there, and the holes don't come in conflict with the walking paths all that often.
The locals here were a blast to play with, laid back and friendly.
Cons: Several places the holes cross over one another, or you're walking back up the fairway you just finished to get to the next tee.  On a crowded day or in a tourney situation, you'll be in each other's way on a few holes.
As with many East Texas courses, thorns are an issue here.  When you walk up to the tee and the locals say "stay out of that bush, that's the Demon Bush," they are not freaking kidding.  Stay clear of the woods and the bushes in the fairway on hole 3, they're killers.
I'm not a fan of the baskets here.  I've gotten spoiled by Innova Discatchers.  These have red tops, which are a little harder to see.  Also, on the Innova's the basket has a hard edge, and the basket opens out so it's catches the disc better.  At Nichols the baskets sides are parallel all the way around, so I had a couple approaches that would have gone in on a Discatcher, but bounced out here.  It's nitpicky I know, but it's the truth.  I guess you could say it just raises the challenge here.
Other Thoughts: Take a guide your first time out, navigation isn't hard, but two or three holes you can't see the basket from the tee (but those were some of my favorite holes) and a couple times the next tee is a good walk from where you are.  With no signs yet and I didn't have a map, I would have been frustrated playing alone and not liked this course as much as it deserves.  Even if they stop right now and don't do any more work, this is a great course.  9 holes, good challenges, good birdie opportunities, elevation, short and long holes.  It didn't feel like a short easy 9.  If they improve what's there and add another 9, this will be a must play in East Texas.  I compare this to Cain Park in Athens (my favorite course) but with no tunnel holes.
The locals said they play every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30, I recommend joining them for a great round in Jacksonville.