Dexter, MI
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original Share
Hole #21 (or #15) - A long tight hyzer with dense trees and rough on both side. There is little room for error on this hole.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Certainly worth the $$$

1    9/6/2015   9/6/2015
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Baskets are older but in great shape.
- Great use of existing terrain and land features.
- Wooded but fairways are not terribly narrow.
- Long and short tee pads.
- Concrete tees. Varying sizes but I couldn't possible care less about that. Just so long as they aren't too small and none of them were.
- More than one course on site so more bang for your buck. Even if this were the only course on site it would still be worth the money.
- Very well marked with nicely painted 4x4's in the ground.
- Nice mix of left to right and so on throughout the course.
- Good flow. No silly 1/4 mile treks from one hole to the next.
- I really like the option midway through the course to either play 24 or 18 holes. This really speaks to the well thought out layout here.
Cons: - As good as this course is I'm surprised that the navigation isn't better marked. A few spots were a little mystifing as to where to go. Getting a scorecard with the map is key on this course. This would be a 4.5 course for me had it not been for that.
- The picnic tables are well spread out through the course but good grief many of them need to be repaired or replaced. The wood is getting rotten and I was reluctant to sit on many of them.
- While this is a collection of above average holes none of them really stuck out to me as great or phenominal. I feel a little weird saying that but it's just the way it is.
- Praire grass off the fairways...Oh lawdy I hate this stuff. Either don't throw into it or play in groups with spotters.
- Water hazards. There were a few but even as a Am3 player like myself I didn't feel particularly challenged by them. I kind of wish they were better put into play.
Other Thoughts: My criticisms are picky to be sure so don't get me wrong. This is a fantastic course and worth going out of your way to play here. The pay to play is a little steep but in my opinion it is well worth it. It sort of reminds me a little of Oshtemo Township park but it certainly isn't nearly as challenging and that is what is really holding me back from rating this as a 4.5 or even 5.0. It's great but not spetacular.

As always there are your typical assortment of bugs, poison ivy, and other irratants that are always present on a Michigan course. Bug spray is an essential. And as a special note to the critters be wary that the Michigan rattler has been spotted in the area. They are native to Michigan and are definitely poisonous so use caution when searching through the underbrush.

Classic, with a case of deep brush.

5+    6/19/2014   7/12/2014
Review By: PuttPuttPutt
Pros: The variety of shots you can take - The A-F holes provide great open practice - The courses are part of a beautiful multi-purpose Metropark - Is a blessing to play during less-populated times.
Cons: The seriously thick brush during peak season can scare off novice players and those fearful of losing discs - A few of the baskets are in need of maintenance - It's buggier than the Monster course - Can become crowded.

great, but not blown away

1    8/4/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: apdrvya
aesthetic-- course plays through a portion of a large metro park. shares land with hiking/walking/biking trails.

Teesigns--nice to have teesigns at both teepads with seemingly accurate distances. the "pictures" of the hole are somewhat accurate, they show an approximate configuration of the hole.

teepads--both good and bad here, the teepads are of varying lengths. some are really really long (and a bit off-putting), some are appropriate length, and some are short. not sure why one size wasn't used as the lengths on this course do not vary by much throughout.

Mach III baskets-- in good repair, reflective tape might help to increase visibility. most of the time we were just looking for the number placcard on top.

Flow/navigation--relatively easy, nice worn paths seemed to guide us where we needed to go, in the few spots where confusion may have been an issue, the next tee was visible.

Options-- the option to play 18 v 24 is nice and the signage here is very clear.

risk v reward-- most of the risk v reward here is in the form of the rough, there is a small scummy pond on a couple of the holes but for the most part it's a non-issue. the grass is thick off of the fairways and the scrub trees are pretty thick in some places but it's relatively easy to find your disc.

maintenance/upkeep--the mowers cut an insane amount of grass both on and off the courses here and the grass in the fairways was immaculate throughout. not much trash throughout, benches and garbage cans throughout the course.
length-- I really really though with the ratings this course had that there would be more 400-500ft holes where a fairway driver might have come in handy in the fairway. Rather, we spent most of our round teeing off with either mid-ranges or fairway drivers.

repetition-- it seemed that the field holes were repetitious. it seemed like they were mostly straight out with some light trees strewn about.

Lack of elevation--there is very very little elevation change here, I understand that this isn't always controllable but it seemed like there were places that elevation could have been used better.
Honestly, I was slightly disappointed. I thought with the ratings this course had I would be more impressed, I just wasn't blown away. don't get me wrong, it's a great complex, just not phenomenal or best of the best.
I found myself comparing different parts of the course to different courses that I had played before. the later parts of the course reminded me a lot of Oshtemo in Kalamazoo, the water holes reminded me of Knollwood in Kalamazoo. there were parts that reminded me of Blue Gill and parts that reminded me of other courses that I had played in the past.

An old-school gem that has stood the test of time

5+    5/6/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Hudson Mills Metropark is an absolute must-visit disc golf destination park. The Original course is one of two very good courses that are beautifully maintained, have tee sets of cement tee pads, good signage, and fully intuitive navigation.

The Original course provides a fun experience with sufficient challenge to keep all skill levels coming back. There are several very good holes and the stretch from hole 6 to 18 is among the best around.

The total experience is very enjoyable and the wooded holes, in particular, are very scenic.

Some of the stand-out holes are:
1) A great initial hole, which is one of the most challenging. This hole requires an accurate, powerful drive to get within 70 ft. of the basket for a birdie chance. Anything thrown off the fairway from the tee can easily result in a 4 or 5.

3) An uphill to downhill sweeping mid-range turnover shot with a run-away green. This is my favorite hole on the course.

12-13) Back-to-back short, tight holes where taking a 4 or 5 for the pair is expected, but it's possible to 8 or 9.

18) This long par 3, could be considered a par 3.5, but is deuce-able with a well executed cut roller or crushed drive and long putt. It's really a mind test to see if you can get into the house with a 3, but is eerily unsettling, particularly after playing the tough hole 17.
Cons: Few. Normally my maximum score for an "all par 3's" course is a 3.5, but I bumped this one up a .5 owing to homie bias. This wasn't my first disc golf course, but it was the first one I fell in love with.

The stretch from hole 4 through the letter holes and ending on hole 5 is pretty boring. It's pretty close to wide-open and mostly crusher-friendly.

With the space given, an amazing 18 hole par 65 course could be constructed.
Other Thoughts: Be kind: leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

Great course well maintained

1    9/20/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Redmones12
Pros: Great course so well maintaned, in a great complex, well laid out 2 courses completely different are walking distance apart honestly a little flat on the elevation but could not ask for more when it comes to size and layout of this course who ever made this courst worked hard to provide some balance and honestly the complex and grounds are a dream just an awesome course
Cons: not a lot of elevation changes, looks like there may be a water hole but evertime i have gone it has been dry so not alot of water on the course of elevation changes. Extra tees and extra baskets on monster make up for the short falls love this course
Other Thoughts: WIDE fareways and balanced play, the extras on monster make a world of difference just a discgolf trippers dream area.

1    10/30/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: a3wasp
Pros: This is a well kept course, they just pulled out quite a few olive bushes opening up the fairway further. There is a variety of different types of holes. There are shorter ones, longer ones, hilly ones and flat ones. It is challenging yet fun.
Cons: There isn't really anything bad to say about this course, I guess just that I miss the pond holes because there is really no pond anymore. It is just about dried up.
Other Thoughts: I would say that this course is great for just about anybody, beginner and someone more experience.

Intense, diverse, and radical. But not the best around...

1    9/29/2012   10/2/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 7/8/2013
Pros: + Huge, double-coursed metropark with pay to play awesomeness
+ Rental shop, bathrooms, chill facility with some cool nature displays
+ Cardstock map/scorecard
+ Practice hole
+ The rough is played through enough to make it forgiving
+ Tees (Am and Pro), baskets, picnic tables, trash cans are all in good shape
+ Good use of elevation changes with a world-class diverse layout, easy to follow
+ Preserved natural obstacles (trees, stumps, etc.)
Cons: - Lots of bikers and hikers around
- Am tees with awfully inaccurate distances
Other Thoughts: If I were to guess, I would say this course was designed by goblins. They know we're expecting an amazing, fun course and instead they built one with beastly trees standing in the way of birdies. Wetlands, woods, wide open spaces... It has it all. Straight shots, anhyzers, hyzers, big long drives, alleys, a bridge shot, elevation changes that help, hurt, and frustrate. I imagine this is a course you can come back to again and again and learn something new every time.

I want to play the Monster course some day, and maybe play both courses when it's not so dried up and losing its color. I'm not sure exactly why this course didn't preserve its color through September like most other courses around. I think it's because it's played through so much. There are prettier courses around... But that's not why everyone plays dg...

Now, why isn't this the best course in the area? There's another one, more impressive, newer, and taken care of better. You can't just read my review and find out though. Go out and find it for yourself :)

Mid Michigan's Best

5+    8/3/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: mrblonde314
Pros: - Practice Area With Basket
- Cement Tees (Pro and Am)
- Wood Chipped Baskets
- Very Well Kempt / Maintained
- Diverse Holes (Wooded and Open)
- Low to Zero Waiting
- Challenging and Fun
Cons: - Wouldn't be a 5 if there were any cons, duh
Other Thoughts: - Course takes about 45min - 1hr to complete
- Parking $5/Day or $25 Annual
- Pay to Play = $2/Day or $50 Annual

This is what I come to expect when it comes to disc golf courses. This is one of the first courses I've ever played and it will always be my favorite.

Believe the Hype!

2-4    7/4/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Ricky_Rick
This review was updated on 7/20/2012
Pros: Well kept course with lots of variety.
Optional Long (Blue) or Short (Red) courses
Cement tee pads & chain baskets every hole
Good signage, picnic tables and trash cans
Wide open holes and narrow holes
24 holes to play, x2 courses (Monster)
Cons: Not much to complain about...
Bugs can be bad, but that is summer in Michigan
$5 for park and $2 per player to golf may deter some
Rough can be thick in some spots
Just wish I lived closer to it. :)
Other Thoughts: An absolute blast to play from the Red tees, and a very challenging course to play from the Blue tees. Well maintained, plenty of benches to rest at and traffic flows nicely thru 24 holes. I am not against paying to play if it keeps yahoos off course. I prefer the Original to the Monster myself, but to each his/her own. Definitely stop by and play this course, well worth the ratings hype!

Hudson Mills is a must play!

1    5/26/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: MikelNovack
Pros: Pretty much every thing, the course was great.

cement tee pads

nice baskets

manicured fairways

awesome elevation changes

other players were polite (I even had a disc returned that I had forgotten on a hole)
Cons: Nothing really, maybe the fee to get into the park but I'd gladly pay it again and again to play this great course.
Other Thoughts: Awesome course that a friend and I made about an hour drive to get to. We will for sure play this course again and again.

If you can only squeeze in one course at hudson mills it should be this one.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5