Dexter, MI
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original Share
Hole #11 (or #5) - Straight but well guarded with large trees. Rollers have been known to find the mark and there is plenty of room for a big hyzer.

Beautiful Complex

1    12/27/2011   3/7/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course is in a beautiful park, and has an additional 24 hole sister course just across the parking lot. A modest pay to play fee is clearly put into the course, with great maintenance and nicely groomed fairways both in the open and in the woods. Dual concrete tees and basic signage are nice, especially since the longer tees often add an extra pinch point or slightly tougher angle to the wooded holes and some extra distance on the more open shots.

There are plenty of tight shots here to test your ability to hit your line. There's enough brush and trees off the fairways to punish errant shots, but there is enough space that you don't always just have to pitch back out to the fairway. There's a nice distance variety, especially with the short and long tees, you'll find some ace runs and some holes where you get to open up and drive a little bit.

The practice hole is a nice touch, you can get some throws in and there's enough room to get in some approaches and putts too. The office has discs and snacks for sale, always a nice touch at a pay to play course.
Cons: The first half of the course is mostly open, and has a ton of long grass off the fairways. I'm not a fan of prairie style holes, I personally feel they add frustration for errant shots without really adding any challenge for your next shot. If you like that style disc golf, then this con won't apply to you and you can pretend this course is rated a little higher.

The wooded holes have a lot of straight shots, I would have liked to see just a little more variety in hole shapes to test a few more different line shaping skills. The signage is a little weak, on the handful of holes that aren't straight ahead it's not necessarily clear exactly where the pin is.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find the shorter tees to be a reasonable length and challenge level, though the rough can be a bit thick and frustrating at times for newer players. More experienced throwers won't find a ton of different lines to hit, but there are enough trees and rough to make you pay for your mistakes. I enjoyed playing these courses and would definitely recommend a stop.

I don't mind paying to play, especially a reasonable $2 fee at a complex with two nicely maintained courses. It does bother me a little though that there's a park fee and a separate disc golf fee when other amenities that are more expensive to install and maintain are free once you're in the park.

A Great Course

1    9/19/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: sbrody44
Pros: -Upkeep. Very well groomed.
-Challenge. Extremely challenging holes out here.
-Tee Pads. Nice, huge cement tee pads.
-Signs. Nice signs with layout and distance on both tee pads.
Cons: Baskets. Mach 3's aren't my favorite.
Other Thoughts: A very good course for everyone. Highly recommended.

A Good Challenge

1    7/5/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: jhgonzo
This review was updated on 7/19/2010
Pros: 1. Beautifully manicured. The mandatory "pay-to-play" at this pair of courses really seems to be put to good use, with well-defined fairways and landing areas, and rough that's not too rough.
2. Variety. What this course lacks in extreme elevation, it makes up for with some unique holes and plenty of trees.
3. Dual tees. I played from longs and my wife played shorts, and I could really tell a difference in how the hole could/should be played between the two tees. The longs don't just add distance, but frequently change the whole look and feel of the hole.
4. Level concrete tees. Truly a benefit for any course to have!
5. 18- or 24-hole option. If you can't squeeze in the extra 6, you have the option after Hole #4 to simply continue on and play the classic 18.
Cons: 1. Hole #s A-F (the extra 6) were a bit too open and similar to really add to the course. I was almost upset that the course wasn't going to be as fun as I'd expected on the Front 12, but my fears were quickly allayed upon entering the wooded holes (and subsequently losing a disc in the stagnant pond!).
2. Inconsistent basket installation. I like uniformity when I'm playing a course, and this one just doesn't have it. The variation in basket height can really throw off your game, or at least it does to mine! Too many missed birdies and pars because of this, but I guess I just need to adjust from hole to hole.
3. The tee signs leave a LOT to be desired. I particularly liked the wood-carved design, but would prefer a tad more information--like, WHERE'S THE PIN?! Too many holes I had to scout ahead just to be sure, although doglegs are indicated on the signs.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, and I regret not being able to play both courses on the grounds while I was out here (I don't get to this part of Michigan very often, so I'll have to wait at least a few months before playing and reviewing the Monster course). It's definitely worth the $4 for parking and $2/person to play (all day, not per round!), and if you get the chance, make sure to check out CJ's on Territorial Road a few miles before the course...they have an AMAZING selection of DG supplies and equipment!

UPDATE: I'm adjusting my rating just slightly down to a 3.5. It's not that I've grown to like the course LESS since I've played it, but I've played many more courses and with this larger sample I've decided to revise a few of my more generous ratings.

Don't stop 'till you get enough

5+    6/30/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 7/2/2012
Pros: Great setup out in Dexter. They have two courses, with the parking lot in between. Practice hole (not just a basket) to get you warmed up before the full twenty-four. All holes are well marked with the pertinent information DGers need. The first half of the course wanders through a giant field of tall grass, with the fairways mowed through. The back half takes you into the woods and is by far the crown jewel of this course. Elevation changes and a stream come into play here, challenging you to finish your round with technique as well as power.
Cons: The first half of the course is OK. I mean, this park is really kept up and I have no complains, but it just seemed like holes 4-9 (including the 6 bones holes) were all the same. I would have liked to see some par numbers on the signs as well. Again, I'm nitpicking, because I really have nothing bad to say about this course. A park official followed us around for a couple holes (creepy). Maybe he's a voyeur.
Other Thoughts: This course is a hike out to the middle of nowhere - playing both this one and the monster is well worth the drive. There is a four dollar per car fee to get into the park and then two bucks for a wristband that lets you play. A dollar a course ain't so bad, and I'm sure it goes to pay the landscapers. Check this course out before summer's end.

hudson mills origional

2-4    10/27/2006   8/30/2008
Review By: worthdan
This review was updated on 12/23/2009
Pros: really fun course. it has a wide variety of holes with a good layout. everyone i met was really nice. played with a few of the A3 (local disc club) guys and they were really cool. pretty easy to get to.
Cons: pay to play, but the course is worth it.
Other Thoughts: great course but i still couldn't give it a rating of 5, but 4 is still really good. didn't get a chance to play the monster course but hear that is sweet also.