Dexter, MI
Hole #2 Short Tee

Great course well maintained

1    9/20/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Redmones12
Pros: Great course so well maintaned, in a great complex, well laid out 2 courses completely different are walking distance apart honestly a little flat on the elevation but could not ask for more when it comes to size and layout of this course who ever made this courst worked hard to provide some balance and honestly the complex and grounds are a dream just an awesome course
Cons: not a lot of elevation changes, looks like there may be a water hole but evertime i have gone it has been dry so not alot of water on the course of elevation changes. Extra tees and extra baskets on monster make up for the short falls love this course
Other Thoughts: WIDE fareways and balanced play, the extras on monster make a world of difference just a discgolf trippers dream area.

Wow! Great experience.

1    10/1/2011   10/1/2011
Review By: elrumpo
Pros: - park caters to disc golfers
- great tee pads
- perfectly maintained course
- well designed holes, clearly not just thrown in randomly
- nice players, nice park workers
- LOTS of holes to play (48 across two courses)
- Great variety in hole types, forcing all kinds of throws
- Good use of elevation where possible
- practice warmup holes before the course
- tons of parking and lots of other park stuff to do
- multiple tee pads per hole, allowing even MORE variety!
Cons: - a few repetitive holes in the A-F holes (you won't miss much if you're short on time and have to skip a few)

- One of the hole transitions confused me, I forget which one. But I found it after backtracking 50 ft and glancing around better
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing! There is an activities building between this and the monster course with nice bathrooms and food. The course is maintained perfectly and I saw less trash here than any other course I have played.

The players here are also amazing...I lost a disc and thanks to "Ben" who called me using my number on the disc, I was able to go get it from him 4 holes later. Thanks, Ben!

This course is worth driving to from anywhere within a few hours. There are two 24 hole courses on site, and both are a lot of fun. They were not busy at all, and with all of the additional park facilities it would be a great place to spend the entire day having a picnic or a party along with a few rounds of disc golf.

Make sure to print a course map before coming...there were none next to the first tee as many stated that there were. Maybe because it is getting late in the season?

**update: there are almost apparently maps/scorecards in the activities center!

Lincoln Ridge North

1    6/19/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The Original course at Hudson Mills Metropark is a a challenging and diverse layout. There were open holes and wooded holes. There were holes with options off the tee, and there were holes forcing a certain throw by design. The baskets and tees were in average condition. Signs were informative and in good condition. They kind of reminded me of the signs at Baker Farm near Rochester, NY: a carved wooden sign. Elevation was used as often as it could be. The best thing about the Original course was that it never got boring. When you have 24 holes, redundancy could pose a problem, but for this course, it really does not come into effect. A big plus was a warm-up hole! A warm-up basket is important in my book, but I had never seen a warm-up hole before.

Cons: I really can't think of any major cons. I would have liked to see a few more benches, but that is just being picky.
Other Thoughts: My friends and I played this course as we toured through Michigan in late June. I would rank this course as the second-best course we played on the trip. I had a difficult time reviewing this course because I really didn't have any cons. This really bothered me. It is an excellent course and is just on the cusp of being 5 in my opinion.

My feelings of this course are probably heavily influenced by my level of skill. I don't play tourneys, but I usually play weekly. I usually shoot between 2 and 6 over par at my local course which is a fairly challenging course. This course allowed a player of my caliber a lot of risk/reward opportunities. There were definitely birdies to be had, but an errant toss was punished. I enjoyed this course more than the Monster, but that is also probably based on my skill level. If you're going to pay the entry fee, you might as well play both courses...you won't be disappointed. I don't mind paying as long as I can see the benefits in the course. This is evident at Hudson Mills. I also liked that the staff actually patrolled the courses in golf carts to ensure players had bracelets. There is nothing more frustrating than paying a fee to play and watching free-loaders sneak around.

Hudson Mills Metropark is an excellent stop for any disc golfer. As I previously mentioned, if you are paying the fees, go ahead and play both courses. It makes for a long day, but it is worth every minute of it. There was a very friendly caretaker who stopped and talked to us for a while about the course. You could tell he was very proud of it. As my title alludes to, I think the Original course is very similar to Lincoln Ridge Park in Florence Kentucky. They are both well-designed, par-3 dominated courses located in well-maintained parks.

1    11/10/2009   2/28/2010
Review By: milesdavis
Pros: A fantastic course. First off there is a practice hole/basket and a big wide open field to get warmed up at. The first half of the course is pretty straight, long and open. It gives you a chance to get warmed up/tuned in for the back half which is tighter, still long though. Wind can be a factor on many holes. Dual tee pads.

Pay to play is in effect here. $2 definetely worth it. I roll with the $50 seasonal pass.

There are rarely crowds of people here. I guess it's because it's away from the city?

Very clean atmosphere, well landscaped. benches and garbage cans galore. Pretty good chance of seeing some wildlife too.
Cons: Maybe the snakes. That's just being picky though. You rarely see them. I wish the DGLO would be a more popular tourney for the pros to come and play again.
Other Thoughts: Probably the most professional, best maintained course I've ever seen/played. Great people all around.

Excellent course

5+    11/1/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: narulz10182002
This review was updated on 12/3/2009
Pros: This course is an excellent course!! there is really nothing wrong with it!!! the course employs numerous types of shots and incorporates both a level of skill and fun. The course is well maintained with clear fairways and minimal though present rough and a mixture and wooded holes! ALL holes are clearly marked with nice concrete tee pads and signs laying out the course for both the long and short tee locations. all and all one of the best courses i have played. my buddy and i drove 217 miles to play the course and were definitely not disappointed.
Cons: some would say you have to pay to play but it is really not to bad!!! $2 gets you all day play on both this course and the monster course that is located at the same location as well as all day play at kinsington. all 3 courses are if i am not mistaken 24 hole courses.

some more elevation changes would be nice but the area is not really suited for it so you cant really blame the course!!!
Other Thoughts: There is an excellent disc golf shop located just down the road from the course called CJ's that has all the equipment you could ever need really!!!

Best Frolf in the area

1    10/30/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: bpatton
Pros: This park has a pay to play requirement. This may not seem a pro to some, but it has its benefits. For only two dollars the park allows all day frolf on two twenty four hole courses. Also, the course is very clean, and I have found the staff to be very friendly. One gentleman there has, on several occasions, pitched in to help my group search for a disc. The sheer number of holes, combined with the fact that you must pay keeps the course free of too many people, allowing one to play at whatever pace suits your mood.

This frolf complex has the closest feeling to a private ball golf course that I have yet to experience, and the only one in Michigan that I am aware of. By that I mean the other golfers almost always understand the unspoken rules of etiquette that seem to be hit or miss at other courses.

Now for the actual course....

The original course has two sets of tees allowing for a mix of challenges, shoot for par or run deuce on most of the holes for the experienced frolfer. Most of the holes allow for a variety of lines to be played. Both righties and lefties, or forehand shooters, will find the course not too bias.

This course feels like it is in the woods, one of my favorite aspects of frolf.

The fairways are defined, and mowed when called for. The rough is not ridiculous. You will not look for twenty minutes only to discover your shot right in front of you face.

There are a great mix of shots required. Some interesting pin placements on the open holes, some technical play on the woods holes. The excellent layout makes great use of the land.
Cons: Honestly, the only negative thing I have to say about this course is the lack of dramatic elevation change. However, southeastern Michigan is not exactly known for its mountains, so I can hardly blame the course designers.
Other Thoughts: Taken with the "Monster" course this park has the best frolf experience in the Metro Detroit area bar none.

1    8/15/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: GB Phil G
Pros: Pay to play brings all the things you want at a disc course. Maintained fairways, benches, trash cans, signage, great variety of shot, and the $2 fee keeps the yahoos off the course.
Cons: No elevation. Which isn't even a con. But Im in wisconsin where elevation is unavoidable. Desired to me. Whats with the overpriced snacks? I bet locals don't even consider buying from the store inside.
Other Thoughts: Why wasn't I warned theres two fantastic 24 hole courses here? I was in the metropark three hours longer than planned. Well worth it!

Which is better- they're both great

2-4    8/10/2007   7/10/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: A tamer and even more beautifully maintained course than the monster. Better for beginners. This course has it all! Great variety.
Cons: Hard to think of any. A couple of repetitious holes. Got caught behind slow playing beginner groups, but eventually played through.
Other Thoughts: I'd pay the $2 anytime for this course. Its a beautiful course to bring a non-golfer along for a walk.

Beautiful course

2-4    7/4/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: Da Bonger
Pros: Well maintained and manacured course. The "expansion" holes (holes A-F) are awesome. Just let 'er rip!! Beautiful surrounds make this a must play for any disc golfer. I've been able to sneak up (from the downwind side) on a doe and a fawn on the 16th hole, and damn near touched them both before they cleared out.
Cons: I'm a righthanded player and the course was designed by a lefty. Quite a few of the holes offer a serious challenge to a beginner who hasn't mastered the way of the forehand yet. Paying to play is kind of a drag, but the parking pass ($20.00 for the season) is well worth it. Go five times and it pays for itself. The jury is still out on the $50.00 annual bag tag. You've got to play the courses 25 times before you've paid it off and Ranger Rick and his cronies like to patrol to make sure all the kiddies have paid their dues.
Other Thoughts: As I said, a beautiful, well maintained course. Play this course in the evening towards dusk and you're in for a treat.

Home Course

5+    5/31/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: maynes32
This review was updated on 7/9/2010
Pros: - Very well kept up
- Good mix of open, wooded and in-between holes. This course is not just a couple of holes in a field, then a couple of holes threading through the eye of a needle. Effort was made to have everything from wide open to tunnel, and all points in between.
- Pro tees do a good job of adding more than just distance, elevation changes and different angles done well
- Course does a very good job of maintaining playability as your skill level improves. There are holes that will not be too challenging for beginners, and holes that will be very difficult. It's a really nice feeling when those "impossible" ones become just challenging, and then regularly par-able.
Cons: - Going from "free" (but still with a park entry fee) to PTP was a real disappointment
- The narrow holes with very thick rough, particularly 14 and 15, can be daunting for new players.
Other Thoughts: This is essentially my home course, so I may be a bit biased. Before I lived in Dexter, this was the first "real" course I played, and I remember being overwhelmingly impressed by it. The more courses I play, the more impressed I am with this one. I have played this course far more times than any other course, and I literally never tire of it.