Dexter, MI
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original Share
Hole #9 - A severe anhyzer with a gentle up hill slope beyound the basket. Staying out of the forest on the right is critical.

Which is better- they're both great

2-4    8/10/2007   7/10/2009
Review By: AusTexDoc
Pros: A tamer and even more beautifully maintained course than the monster. Better for beginners. This course has it all! Great variety.
Cons: Hard to think of any. A couple of repetitious holes. Got caught behind slow playing beginner groups, but eventually played through.
Other Thoughts: I'd pay the $2 anytime for this course. Its a beautiful course to bring a non-golfer along for a walk.

Beautiful course

2-4    7/4/2009   7/10/2009
Review By: Da Bonger
Pros: Well maintained and manacured course. The "expansion" holes (holes A-F) are awesome. Just let 'er rip!! Beautiful surrounds make this a must play for any disc golfer. I've been able to sneak up (from the downwind side) on a doe and a fawn on the 16th hole, and damn near touched them both before they cleared out.
Cons: I'm a righthanded player and the course was designed by a lefty. Quite a few of the holes offer a serious challenge to a beginner who hasn't mastered the way of the forehand yet. Paying to play is kind of a drag, but the parking pass ($20.00 for the season) is well worth it. Go five times and it pays for itself. The jury is still out on the $50.00 annual bag tag. You've got to play the courses 25 times before you've paid it off and Ranger Rick and his cronies like to patrol to make sure all the kiddies have paid their dues.
Other Thoughts: As I said, a beautiful, well maintained course. Play this course in the evening towards dusk and you're in for a treat.

A Good Challenge

1    7/5/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: jhgonzo
This review was updated on 7/19/2010
Pros: 1. Beautifully manicured. The mandatory "pay-to-play" at this pair of courses really seems to be put to good use, with well-defined fairways and landing areas, and rough that's not too rough.
2. Variety. What this course lacks in extreme elevation, it makes up for with some unique holes and plenty of trees.
3. Dual tees. I played from longs and my wife played shorts, and I could really tell a difference in how the hole could/should be played between the two tees. The longs don't just add distance, but frequently change the whole look and feel of the hole.
4. Level concrete tees. Truly a benefit for any course to have!
5. 18- or 24-hole option. If you can't squeeze in the extra 6, you have the option after Hole #4 to simply continue on and play the classic 18.
Cons: 1. Hole #s A-F (the extra 6) were a bit too open and similar to really add to the course. I was almost upset that the course wasn't going to be as fun as I'd expected on the Front 12, but my fears were quickly allayed upon entering the wooded holes (and subsequently losing a disc in the stagnant pond!).
2. Inconsistent basket installation. I like uniformity when I'm playing a course, and this one just doesn't have it. The variation in basket height can really throw off your game, or at least it does to mine! Too many missed birdies and pars because of this, but I guess I just need to adjust from hole to hole.
3. The tee signs leave a LOT to be desired. I particularly liked the wood-carved design, but would prefer a tad more information--like, WHERE'S THE PIN?! Too many holes I had to scout ahead just to be sure, although doglegs are indicated on the signs.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, and I regret not being able to play both courses on the grounds while I was out here (I don't get to this part of Michigan very often, so I'll have to wait at least a few months before playing and reviewing the Monster course). It's definitely worth the $4 for parking and $2/person to play (all day, not per round!), and if you get the chance, make sure to check out CJ's on Territorial Road a few miles before the course...they have an AMAZING selection of DG supplies and equipment!

UPDATE: I'm adjusting my rating just slightly down to a 3.5. It's not that I've grown to like the course LESS since I've played it, but I've played many more courses and with this larger sample I've decided to revise a few of my more generous ratings.

Don't stop 'till you get enough

5+    6/30/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 7/2/2012
Pros: Great setup out in Dexter. They have two courses, with the parking lot in between. Practice hole (not just a basket) to get you warmed up before the full twenty-four. All holes are well marked with the pertinent information DGers need. The first half of the course wanders through a giant field of tall grass, with the fairways mowed through. The back half takes you into the woods and is by far the crown jewel of this course. Elevation changes and a stream come into play here, challenging you to finish your round with technique as well as power.
Cons: The first half of the course is OK. I mean, this park is really kept up and I have no complains, but it just seemed like holes 4-9 (including the 6 bones holes) were all the same. I would have liked to see some par numbers on the signs as well. Again, I'm nitpicking, because I really have nothing bad to say about this course. A park official followed us around for a couple holes (creepy). Maybe he's a voyeur.
Other Thoughts: This course is a hike out to the middle of nowhere - playing both this one and the monster is well worth the drive. There is a four dollar per car fee to get into the park and then two bucks for a wristband that lets you play. A dollar a course ain't so bad, and I'm sure it goes to pay the landscapers. Check this course out before summer's end.

Home Course

5+    5/31/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: maynes32
This review was updated on 7/9/2010
Pros: - Very well kept up
- Good mix of open, wooded and in-between holes. This course is not just a couple of holes in a field, then a couple of holes threading through the eye of a needle. Effort was made to have everything from wide open to tunnel, and all points in between.
- Pro tees do a good job of adding more than just distance, elevation changes and different angles done well
- Course does a very good job of maintaining playability as your skill level improves. There are holes that will not be too challenging for beginners, and holes that will be very difficult. It's a really nice feeling when those "impossible" ones become just challenging, and then regularly par-able.
Cons: - Going from "free" (but still with a park entry fee) to PTP was a real disappointment
- The narrow holes with very thick rough, particularly 14 and 15, can be daunting for new players.
Other Thoughts: This is essentially my home course, so I may be a bit biased. Before I lived in Dexter, this was the first "real" course I played, and I remember being overwhelmingly impressed by it. The more courses I play, the more impressed I am with this one. I have played this course far more times than any other course, and I literally never tire of it.

Gotta Love It

2-4    5/6/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: sonicsbeer
Pros: This is a very nice course! Lots of technical challenges for the avid disc golfer, and yet more than enough enjoyment for a beginner as well. Beautiful outdoor landscape: trees, water, green grass, and very little in the way of man-made intrusions. Course is kept up very well. One of my favorites!
Cons: The course gets a little redundant after the first couple of holes, with five or six arrow straight fairways in a row. However, after that it gets right back on track with all sorts of challenges to keep you busy!
Other Thoughts: Maps are available in the park office.The $2.00 to play is WELL worth it because the course is kept in such great shape. Also, they run a lot of tournaments here so there are often experienced disc golfers around for conversation and advise.

5+    10/6/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: NEWBY1151
This review was updated on 11/26/2008
Pros: This is one of my top 5 favorite,great balance of open and wooded holes,variety of lefts and rights with great basket placement around natural obstacles,2 holes have water hazard,some pretty good elevation changes,challenging and lots of fun at the same time,Pro and Am cement tee pads on every hole,great signs,bathrooms,easy to navigate
Cons: Not close enough to my house!
There is Beware of rattle snakes signs posted although I have played here many times and never seen or heard of any on the course,really doesn't have any cons
Other Thoughts: Metro-park pass required for parking,$4 daily or $20 a year,DGC is pay to play $2 a day or $50 a year,Totally worth the money I would definitely recommend this course,this is a fairly long course bring water

Excellent Course

1    10/17/2008   10/17/2008
Review By: kidon
Pros: Excellent mix of holes, some open for long drives, many finesse and skill shots. VERY clean and well maintained, doesn't get much better than this. Easy to navigate, does not require a map as walking paths are well worn in. Fall color was a bonus.
Cons: Pay to play, but it seems to keep the course nice.
Other Thoughts: Well worth a visit, may be the best course in Michigan.

1    9/17/2008   9/19/2008
Review By: DirtyMittenDG
This review was updated on 10/9/2009
Pros:
--The course maintenance here is the best, very well taken care of. Feels very much like a country club for disc golf. There's no graffiti or vandalism anywhere to be found.

--The layout here is mostly open throws with random trees in the fairway and semi dense rough surrounding it, also has a decent amount of holes that are straight and tightly wooded on both sides. I would say this course definitely favors "big arm" over "tech" throwers, still decent amount of "tech" holes though.

Course Navigation--
Both Am and Pro Tees have signs with direction to pin and distance of the hole. You probably dont need a map but it wouldnt hurt to pick one up because it doubles as a score card. Also when the course splits for either 18 or 24, there is a clear sign that tells you what way to go.
Cons:
--Some holes rough are a little too thick and can easily eat your disc if you shank it. Also some pins can be hard to spot from the tee.
Hazards--
Only 1 or 2 times that water is a factor, walking paths can come into play at certain holes, also the road on a few, and alot of the straight shots in the woods are very dense on both sides (In the woods I found 3 discs and lost one of them that I found).

Cost to Play--
$4 per car and $2 per person to play.

Access To Course--
Easy access from US-23, before you tee off you have to walk into the club house and get a wrist band.

hudson mills origional

2-4    10/27/2006   8/30/2008
Review By: worthdan
This review was updated on 12/23/2009
Pros: really fun course. it has a wide variety of holes with a good layout. everyone i met was really nice. played with a few of the A3 (local disc club) guys and they were really cool. pretty easy to get to.
Cons: pay to play, but the course is worth it.
Other Thoughts: great course but i still couldn't give it a rating of 5, but 4 is still really good. didn't get a chance to play the monster course but hear that is sweet also.