Tallahassee, FL
Jack McLean Park Share
Uploaded By: stsren Hole #15 (Taken 6/2010)

Tallahassee Gem

1    8/23/2014   8/25/2014
Review By: macfleming1
Pros: One of my new favorite courses, located in a beautiful park. It's very technical, but not overly long. Many holes have two or three tee pads; all concrete and well sized. There are lots of trees, but they are downright unreasonable (i.e. virtually no fairway) on only 2-3 holes. Elevation changes are great (rare in Florida). Signs are satisfactory, so the course is relatively easy to navigate.
Cons: Very few/minor cons in my opinion. Left-to-right-curved drives noticeably outnumbered straight or right-to-left drives. As a right-hander, I ended up driving with a forearm flick way more than usual. You will indeed be punished when you leave the fairways, so choose a brightly colored disc when driving. Very few benches and trash cans.
Other Thoughts: In town only briefly, I almost didn't play because it was 100 degrees out. So glad I did! And the ample shade helped. Earlier reviews mentioned trash and a bad element; I'm happy to report the park was super clean, especially on the course, and the two locals I passed exchanged greetings with me. The Parks Dept map is not accurate. Look for the rules sign to the right of the parking lot--the first tee is there. Loop north around the pool center, then the course zig-zags counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the park.

Be Brave

5+    4/26/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: dutch_22
Pros: This course has it all. Tight fairways throughout a wooded canopy, varied elevation (both up hill and down hill shots), and varied flight paths. There are some big arm throws however, they must be controlled throws. There are signs on every T pad, and most T pads are concrete or heavy carpet with good traction. This is by far the most challenging course in the state of Florida. Do not miss playing this course as it will prepare you for anything else you will encounter elsewhere. The course is usually well mowed, and downed trees/limbs of size are usually removed quickly as well. The course plays through areas in the park that are used for nothing but disc golf. You will have the place to yourself.
Cons: OK, so this is Florida. Those of you that complain about mosquitoes are just out of touch. Just bring bug spray and deal with it. Contrary to popular belief, there are two restrooms, one by hole 4 and another by hole 12. You don't find many more than that at other parks. There is also a good map and scorecard posted at this website and the parks and rec website as well. I encourage you to download it since you won't find them at the park. Yes, this course does boarder a low income neighborhood, and yes those that cut through do drop trash. It is disappointing. The course could use more benches and trash cans, but then again, that is common among most reviews. All in all, the only con's are the neighborhood, some trash, and the challenge to your own ability.
Other Thoughts: Bring a friend. It sure helps to have a spotter when you play this course in that you can be punished with an errant drive. This course is hard, but hey, it's the hard that makes it great!

F%$KING Hard

1    4/18/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: westflagator
Pros: Really can't say much here. Very tough course. Signs on the course are good with telling you where to go.
Cons: Very tight fairways. Baskets need to be flagged or painted. Very hard to see in thick woods.
Other Thoughts: Unless you can throw fast stuff very straight throw slow stuff and try not to get out of fairways. Very tough to get out of woods.

Most challenging course in Tally

5+    4/10/2013   4/10/2013
Review By: BigArmProductions
Pros: Extremely wooded/narrow fairways
Thought provoking/disc selection
Takes skill, not dumb luck
Multiple tee pads to add variety
Challenging
Next to no one plays this course.
Cons: Trash, trash, trash
Some more trash
Skeeters (not the disc, but that annoying blood-sucking beast)
Par is set WAY too low (I'd say be prepared to shoot in the upper 70s-low 80s from the short tees, and mid 80s to lower/middle 90s from the big boy tees). Although the set pars are achievable you have to be playing top tier dg. aka this scares away beginners.
Other Thoughts: This course is my favorite course in Tally. There are really good elevation changes, extremely tight fairways, and various teepad locations. The toughest part of this course is keeping your mental game together. There is a lot of potential to hit trees within 20-30 feet off the teepad. This makes your second shot count more than anyone wants.
As stated in the cons section this course is super trashy. We, as disc golfers, should be in constant contact with the parks department asking them to help maintain it. I'm not sure what kind of relationship the local dgclub has with the parks dept, but it would be great to have a club clean up day. No matter who is wandering through the course I've never had anything but sincere questions regarding the game of disc golf, and hoots and hollers when a big throw is witnessed. Most of the folks, who are not playing, are simply passing through; and, for the most part, are probably completely harmless.

Decent Course,

1    4/7/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: willied
Pros: Lots of holes
Challenging
Signs on most holes
Cons: Trash everywhere
Some holes lack signs
Amount of trees can get frustrating
Doesn't feel completely safe
Other Thoughts: The course itself is pretty decent. It's laid out pretty well, and the course is challenging. There are a boat load of trees here, and a lot of the course is somewhat narrow. This did get frustrating for me. A lot of the holes are similar to each other so I would say there is somewhat of a lack of variety, but it's not too bad. A few holes change things up just enough to keep you from going insane. The last 6 or so holes get quite repetitive, though.

The area is a little bit shady (and not the kind of shady that results from things blocking the sun). There are a lot of lower end houses surrounding the park and there is a lot of trash along the course, much more than I've seen at any other course. Makes you wonder what kind of Neanderthals roam this place. Once we got to a certain hole there were some questionable people sitting around blaring music from their car. There were people just standing around in the parking lot when we got there. The main reason we worried was because we had relatively expensive bikes on the back of the car, although we had a lock on them (not a very stout lock, though).

So all in all the course is decent, but probably not a place I'll be going to again. I enjoy the Tom Brown course more, and the park is much nicer as well.

Another great course in Tallahassee

5+    1/29/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: Challenging course with some neat hole layouts. Makes you really think about the correct disc/throw combination.

Decent elevation change.

Although overall a tight, tougher course, there are still several open fairways where you can really let it rip.

Easy to follow course layout, one basket leads right to the next tee.

Cons: Lacks some general maintenance. Trash scattered around in some areas, rough tee pads at some holes and inaccurate or missing tee signs

Unfortunately in a rough area of town.
Other Thoughts: A fun, challenging course within a 10 minute drive of another great course.

chewed on me, then spit me out

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
This review was updated on 6/9/2013
Pros: -Nice Rules Sign
-Plenty of shade
-Pool near course
-Variety of tee pads on some holes
-Should keep the short tempered away
Cons: -Only bathroom at Community Center
-Need bug spray
-No benches
-Not beginner friendley
-No maps
-Needs better basket identification from a distance (brighter color)
-Better tee pad signs would be nice
Other Thoughts: I have played one other course like this in my year of playing disc golf and it is the brand new Inverness course in Hoover, AL.. Difficult (for me), yes, beginner friendly, no. I agree with another review, this course is not for the short tempered. I'm a little surprised this course has been here as long as it has and there have not been more improvements on the signs. More details on the tee signs would be nice. No benches that I can recall. The baskets were difficult to see at times, not because of the trees but because the only identification for locating the basket at a distance was the small block of orange on the pole in the middle of the chains. Holes were good length, but if you hit a tree on your opening drive, there is a good chance you will make bogey and be looking for your disc. Better bring your most accurate straight line discs as most of your drives are right down the pipe, and a good distance (check the pictures). Bring your bug spray as there were plenty of mosquitoes who were more than happy to see us. Tee pads were good with Am and Pro concrete pads. When you get too hot there is a nice community pool that the course circles. Nice locals. Must have went on a busy day as there were a LOT of people there, but only saw two others playing disc golf. Definitley need to practice more before going back as this course chewed me up and spit me back out.

06/09/13
Played this course for the second time and I now have a new respect for the course. Shot 6 better this round than I did the first time I played this course. Just have to practice and work on my shots!
Also adjusted my rating with a little more respect.

Enter the beast.

1    3/20/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Tight.
Tight.
Tight.

Lots of trees by the way.

Relatively nice teepads, I wish they were a bit wider but the length of them is solid enough to make up for it.

Defined paths inbetween holes, didn't need a map to play it.

Quite a bit of elevation, which when combined with some of the absolutely ridiculous hole shapes, makes for some really fun golf.
Cons: This park is HUGE! When I played out here there were tonssss of people out here, saw at least 70 plus people while playing ON the course...none of them disc golfers, crazy loud music that you can hear all the way in the back of the woods, it's not a huge con but it is kind of annoying.

Other Thoughts: I can't think of a lot of Pros and Cons but I can write about this course for days.

While this course is challenging, it is extremely fair. It has been worn in and there are almost no random limbs or trees to make you staying in the fairway an issue, the only thing to make this course difficult is YOU. Something I did with excellence.

These are some of the most awesome hole shapes ever, I can't think of the hole # off the top of my head, but the hole where you go about 300 uphill then about 270ish back in the direction you just came from almost..lol. So awesome. If you manage to stay in the fairway out here you will have a shit eating grin on your face, if not, well, sorry...

Tough & slightly scary!

1    12/19/2011   12/23/2011
Review By: allent
This review was updated on 12/29/2011
Pros: This course is extremely wooded and difficult, but is a great practice course in that it requires a ton of different shots from the tee, as well as from the woods, and pinpoint accuracy. Unless you are a true pro (and maybe even then) you will hit an early tree at some point(s) and will end up having to throw all sorts of wicked recovery shots that you just don't have an opportunity to throw very often. Playing this course and working on your game on these holes will make you a better player, there is no way around it. Just don't go here expecting to shatter par, especially from the back tees.
Cons: I love a difficult, tight, wooded course, but this course borders on the insane. It almost feels like you are taking some sort of a final exam to graduate from a year-long anger management course, just to see if you can keep your cool. Some holes have one tee and others have 3ůsome are very rough concrete, others are different concrete, others are carpet, and 1 was dirt. The signs at the tees didn't seem to be very accurate or helpful beyond helping you know where the tee was located since most were completely covered in leaves. The back tees, on those holes that have them, didn't look like they'd been played in a while, but I guess that's understandable since the front tees (or middle, depending) give you all that you want and then some. I also found it odd the number of people (mostly kids) walking right through the course. I'm not sure why this is, but apparently there must be a school nearby and they use the paths through the course to get to the community center in this park. There was a good bit of trash scattered around and a few holes play right up close to the backyard of some pretty rough looking houses. I would not flirt with darkness on this course. Once the sun sets, be close to your car and ready to get out of dodge!
Other Thoughts: This course just has so much potential. A few holes need some sort of throwing lane to at least attempt. I will, however, play this course again and recommend it to anyone looking for a challenge. I had to think on this course about my shot and the disc I would throw more than I can ever remember on any course I've played. As I mention, I do believe playing this course, especially developing any sort of proficiency on it, will make me a much better player and make other courses that I thought were tough and tight, not seem quite so bad. But I'll definitely make sure I have someone I know to play with and will be done by dusk.

Slush Box Review

1    3/13/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: ILER
This review was updated on 4/10/2011
Pros: The course was very interesting and always kept you busy on the type of throw you would use. The area was kept up better recently than I have heard it being kept up before. The par system does help someone who is not seasoned yet.
Cons: Sometimes the hole would have three tee's to choose from. Not sure if they changed the distance and just didn't remove one of the tees or not. Hole 13 did not have a sign we had to walk and find the basket. The layout is not very good for people who do not know the sport or the park. The baskets were not easily seen even at times when they were straight ahead. They need some sort of reflective tape or something to make them easier to see.
Other Thoughts: I have high hopes for the course for the fact that a lot of the holes were very interesting. It is a must for anyone visiting Tallahassee who want a challenge.