Tallahassee, FL
Jack McLean Park Share
Uploaded By: stsren Hole #20 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #20 Tee (nearly a 90 degree dogleg left, slight downhill to basket)

< Prev 1 2 3
The Trees

2-4    11/15/2014   11/15/2014
Review By: Scottsan
Pros: The course plays through the woods surrounding a recreation/community center, so facilities are easy to find. Plenty of shade and a nice walk. And once you start throwing, you won't be bored. Definitely not a "pitch-and-putt" course. If you like a challenge, this is the course for you. I found myself using every technique I knew (and some I didn't).
Cons: The map online has the holes numbered (and placed) differently. The signs (where present) are very rudimentary. (When the signs aren't there, you're often throwing blind or walking through the woods to find the baskets . . . which are older, hard-to-see DisCatchers.) Sometimes there is one tee, sometimes three (most often two).
Other Thoughts: I live a bit closer to Tom Brown Park, so I play there all the time. II find that one to be better suited to my intermediate level. I can't fault Jack McLean for being difficult, but I can for the poor signage. I'm used to having a good idea where the basket is, even if I can't see it. Going hole to hole isn't as much of a concern as tracking where you're supposed to go from the tee box (and WHICH tee box) to the basket. With better signs, this could easily be a marquee course.

1    10/21/2014   10/21/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: McLean is not without flawed holes, but there are a lot of good ones here. Once it has a few holes under its belt, the course begins to produce tight throwing lines through fairly dense woods with a surprising amount of elevation. There may not be anything resembling a signature hole but almost all of them are quality. They are definitely tight, though overly tight for intermediate level players. You will be asked to keep a disc on a straight line for up to 200 feet. You will be asked to hang graceful anny lines. And really, you are going to be asked to throw lines that bend at multiple points.
A ton of variation here, with all of the holes bringing something unique. There is one stretch of holes where you play an up hole then a down hole a few times in a row. But each time the shape is different. You won't be bored.
While some of the lines are unusual, they are mostly fair. What you won't find are random trees in the middle of a fairway. You hit the line, you are good. McLean does punish missed drives. Go off the mark, you will hit a tree. You will likely get kicked into thick brush. There are some spots where disc searches may be difficult but as long as these are in places where you will only land if you screw up, I don't mind them. It's like Magnolia in that way. The best way to describe McLean might be a shorter Magnolia with more narrow fairways. And a bit less precision in the design. But on the other hand a lot more elevation
Cons:
For most of the course there are next tee arrows where needed but man, were the first three transitions tough without them. The map as downloadable here is not very helpful either and I spent a significant amount of time trying to find the third tee.
Similarly, the tee signs themselves are completely vague. They don't help you identify the shape of the fairway and many areas that look like good landing zones end up being thick brush. Lots of good lines to throw here, but without good tee signs, it is hard to identify what a give fairway is calling for without having played the course a few times.
And that underbrush gets thick quickly. Not a great beginner course as they might spend as much time looking through brush as throwing. Unless they play overly cautious.
Some might complain the fairways often ask for too many bends, or create forced layups too often. I enjoyed throwing most of them, but rarely is there anything like an intended landing zone.
The main flaw of the course is that it doesn't start well. In addition to early navigation problems, the first few holes are pretty much the worst on the course. Rather than carved out of thicker woods, these traverse slightly open woods with scattered trees that don't really make for real throwing lines. It took till hole 8 or so before I realized that I was playing some pretty good holes.
I'm not sure what I think about the water carry. It's unlike any other I've seen as you thrown down the length of the pond instead of over the width. To truly carry would be very impressive and reward a player with a birdie chance. Buuut, any hyzer on the toss will mean that you just throw as far as you can and you will land safely to the left of the water. I might like it, I don't know. It's interesting.

Tallahassee Gem

2-4    8/23/2014   8/25/2014
Review By: macfleming1
This review was updated on 10/28/2014
Pros: One of my new favorite courses, located in a beautiful park. It's very technical, but not overly long. Many holes have two or three tee pads; all concrete and well sized. There are lots of trees, but they are downright unreasonable (i.e. virtually no fairway) on only 2-3 holes. Elevation changes are great (rare in Florida). Signs are satisfactory, so the course is relatively easy to navigate.
Cons: Very few/minor cons in my opinion. Left-to-right-curved drives noticeably outnumbered straight or right-to-left drives. As a right-hander, I ended up driving with a forearm flick way more than usual. You will indeed be punished when you leave the fairways, so choose a brightly colored disc when driving. Very few benches and trash cans.
Other Thoughts: In town only briefly, I almost didn't play because it was 100 degrees out. So glad I did! And the ample shade helped. Earlier reviews mentioned trash and a bad element; I'm happy to report the park was super clean, especially on the course, and the two locals I passed exchanged greetings with me. The Parks Dept map is not accurate. Look for the rules sign to the right of the parking lot--the first tee is there. Loop north around the pool center, then the course zig-zags counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the park.

Be Brave

5+    4/26/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: dutch_22
Pros: This course has it all. Tight fairways throughout a wooded canopy, varied elevation (both up hill and down hill shots), and varied flight paths. There are some big arm throws however, they must be controlled throws. There are signs on every T pad, and most T pads are concrete or heavy carpet with good traction. This is by far the most challenging course in the state of Florida. Do not miss playing this course as it will prepare you for anything else you will encounter elsewhere. The course is usually well mowed, and downed trees/limbs of size are usually removed quickly as well. The course plays through areas in the park that are used for nothing but disc golf. You will have the place to yourself.
Cons: OK, so this is Florida. Those of you that complain about mosquitoes are just out of touch. Just bring bug spray and deal with it. Contrary to popular belief, there are two restrooms, one by hole 4 and another by hole 12. You don't find many more than that at other parks. There is also a good map and scorecard posted at this website and the parks and rec website as well. I encourage you to download it since you won't find them at the park. Yes, this course does boarder a low income neighborhood, and yes those that cut through do drop trash. It is disappointing. The course could use more benches and trash cans, but then again, that is common among most reviews. All in all, the only con's are the neighborhood, some trash, and the challenge to your own ability.
Other Thoughts: Bring a friend. It sure helps to have a spotter when you play this course in that you can be punished with an errant drive. This course is hard, but hey, it's the hard that makes it great!

F%$KING Hard

1    4/18/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: westflagator
Pros: Really can't say much here. Very tough course. Signs on the course are good with telling you where to go.
Cons: Very tight fairways. Baskets need to be flagged or painted. Very hard to see in thick woods.
Other Thoughts: Unless you can throw fast stuff very straight throw slow stuff and try not to get out of fairways. Very tough to get out of woods.

Most challenging course in Tally

5+    4/10/2013   4/10/2013
Review By: BigArmProductions
Pros: Extremely wooded/narrow fairways
Thought provoking/disc selection
Takes skill, not dumb luck
Multiple tee pads to add variety
Challenging
Next to no one plays this course.
Cons: Trash, trash, trash
Some more trash
Skeeters (not the disc, but that annoying blood-sucking beast)
Par is set WAY too low (I'd say be prepared to shoot in the upper 70s-low 80s from the short tees, and mid 80s to lower/middle 90s from the big boy tees). Although the set pars are achievable you have to be playing top tier dg. aka this scares away beginners.
Other Thoughts: This course is my favorite course in Tally. There are really good elevation changes, extremely tight fairways, and various teepad locations. The toughest part of this course is keeping your mental game together. There is a lot of potential to hit trees within 20-30 feet off the teepad. This makes your second shot count more than anyone wants.
As stated in the cons section this course is super trashy. We, as disc golfers, should be in constant contact with the parks department asking them to help maintain it. I'm not sure what kind of relationship the local dgclub has with the parks dept, but it would be great to have a club clean up day. No matter who is wandering through the course I've never had anything but sincere questions regarding the game of disc golf, and hoots and hollers when a big throw is witnessed. Most of the folks, who are not playing, are simply passing through; and, for the most part, are probably completely harmless.

Decent Course,

1    4/7/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: willied
Pros: Lots of holes
Challenging
Signs on most holes
Cons: Trash everywhere
Some holes lack signs
Amount of trees can get frustrating
Doesn't feel completely safe
Other Thoughts: The course itself is pretty decent. It's laid out pretty well, and the course is challenging. There are a boat load of trees here, and a lot of the course is somewhat narrow. This did get frustrating for me. A lot of the holes are similar to each other so I would say there is somewhat of a lack of variety, but it's not too bad. A few holes change things up just enough to keep you from going insane. The last 6 or so holes get quite repetitive, though.

The area is a little bit shady (and not the kind of shady that results from things blocking the sun). There are a lot of lower end houses surrounding the park and there is a lot of trash along the course, much more than I've seen at any other course. Makes you wonder what kind of Neanderthals roam this place. Once we got to a certain hole there were some questionable people sitting around blaring music from their car. There were people just standing around in the parking lot when we got there. The main reason we worried was because we had relatively expensive bikes on the back of the car, although we had a lock on them (not a very stout lock, though).

So all in all the course is decent, but probably not a place I'll be going to again. I enjoy the Tom Brown course more, and the park is much nicer as well.

Another great course in Tallahassee

5+    1/29/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: Challenging course with some neat hole layouts. Makes you really think about the correct disc/throw combination.

Decent elevation change.

Although overall a tight, tougher course, there are still several open fairways where you can really let it rip.

Easy to follow course layout, one basket leads right to the next tee.

Cons: Lacks some general maintenance. Trash scattered around in some areas, rough tee pads at some holes and inaccurate or missing tee signs

Unfortunately in a rough area of town.
Other Thoughts: A fun, challenging course within a 10 minute drive of another great course.

chewed on me, then spit me out

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
This review was updated on 6/9/2013
Pros: -Nice Rules Sign
-Plenty of shade
-Pool near course
-Variety of tee pads on some holes
-Should keep the short tempered away
Cons: -Only bathroom at Community Center
-Need bug spray
-No benches
-Not beginner friendley
-No maps
-Needs better basket identification from a distance (brighter color)
-Better tee pad signs would be nice
Other Thoughts: I have played one other course like this in my year of playing disc golf and it is the brand new Inverness course in Hoover, AL.. Difficult (for me), yes, beginner friendly, no. I agree with another review, this course is not for the short tempered. I'm a little surprised this course has been here as long as it has and there have not been more improvements on the signs. More details on the tee signs would be nice. No benches that I can recall. The baskets were difficult to see at times, not because of the trees but because the only identification for locating the basket at a distance was the small block of orange on the pole in the middle of the chains. Holes were good length, but if you hit a tree on your opening drive, there is a good chance you will make bogey and be looking for your disc. Better bring your most accurate straight line discs as most of your drives are right down the pipe, and a good distance (check the pictures). Bring your bug spray as there were plenty of mosquitoes who were more than happy to see us. Tee pads were good with Am and Pro concrete pads. When you get too hot there is a nice community pool that the course circles. Nice locals. Must have went on a busy day as there were a LOT of people there, but only saw two others playing disc golf. Definitley need to practice more before going back as this course chewed me up and spit me back out.

06/09/13
Played this course for the second time and I now have a new respect for the course. Shot 6 better this round than I did the first time I played this course. Just have to practice and work on my shots!
Also adjusted my rating with a little more respect.

Enter the beast.

1    3/20/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Tight.
Tight.
Tight.

Lots of trees by the way.

Relatively nice teepads, I wish they were a bit wider but the length of them is solid enough to make up for it.

Defined paths inbetween holes, didn't need a map to play it.

Quite a bit of elevation, which when combined with some of the absolutely ridiculous hole shapes, makes for some really fun golf.
Cons: This park is HUGE! When I played out here there were tonssss of people out here, saw at least 70 plus people while playing ON the course...none of them disc golfers, crazy loud music that you can hear all the way in the back of the woods, it's not a huge con but it is kind of annoying.

Other Thoughts: I can't think of a lot of Pros and Cons but I can write about this course for days.

While this course is challenging, it is extremely fair. It has been worn in and there are almost no random limbs or trees to make you staying in the fairway an issue, the only thing to make this course difficult is YOU. Something I did with excellence.

These are some of the most awesome hole shapes ever, I can't think of the hole # off the top of my head, but the hole where you go about 300 uphill then about 270ish back in the direction you just came from almost..lol. So awesome. If you manage to stay in the fairway out here you will have a shit eating grin on your face, if not, well, sorry...

< Prev 1 2 3