Omaha, NE
Hummel Park Share
Uploaded By: AJDisc Hole #8 (Taken 10/2013)

The Best Course on Earth?

2-4    8/26/2015   1/17/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
Pros: Council Bluffs is just across the river, and this magnificent course is on the Omaha bluffs and is completely secluded and I saw almost no one playing it during my time there.

The holes are extremely long, sloping, densely wooded with narrow fairways, and have the most extreme elevation changes I've ever seen. I wasn't aware of course par at the time, playing them all as 3s, but entering my rounds of 57, 59 and 56 were all in the 1000 range. It's that difficult. I would personally have to play perfect and error free golf to avoid bogies or doubles, and I saw only 4 holes that might be regular birdies for me (there are just a few others that I might get lucky with putts in the 50-80 range or great tee shots).

The signage is the best I've ever seen, including up and down triangles to indicate just how much elevation change there is on any hole (not that it makes disc selection any easier, as I reached a 300 footer with a putter downhill and my max is 210 with a putter).

It does favor a lefty, as one reviewer mentioned, so that is perhaps why I fared well and didn't blow up completely.

It was a humbling experience, but courses like this are exactly what disc golf was meant to be with the modern technology, and if the PDGA ever had rotating US Opens or PDGA Championships, this course should be in the rotation and host both events in every 5 year period.

Cons: Holes 16 and 17 are virtually identical.

It's more ideal to go to the second entrance parking lot and start on hole 2 so that you have the massive downhill 1st as a finishing hole (it's a quibble, but that hole does sort of have the parking lot in play).

The signage indicating how to get from hole 3 to hole 4 is awful and I lost nearly a half hour climbing a slope that took me up toward 11 and 12. That needs to be fixed pronto.

I've heard from others that mosquitos are a problem, but I was there late in the summer and there were none. We have a lot where I'm from, so I doubt it would bother me.

Other Thoughts: I am an exceptionally fit guy in my mid 50s with a good game and can still easily play 2 rounds in one day anywhere. I played 2 in one day here and it nearly killed me (just kidding, though I had to take 3 full days off and was aching pretty badly).

It's simply one of the greatest parks I've ever seen and absolutely the best course I've ever played.

I'd love to see a tour event here.

The Best of Omaha

5+    11/25/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: jpass21
This review was updated on 4/23/2012
Pros: Arguably the most scenic and beautiful course in the Omaha area. The forest in the fall is gorgeous. Nearly every hole could be considered "signature" because of how truly unique this course is. The elevation changes are unreal and each hole has a very distinct and fun personality. When first playing the course, I was amazed at how epic holes 1 and 2 are. Then as I continued to play I realized that every hole would be that way.

Most holes can bee seen from the tee (at least in the fall) and the ones that can't are marked on trees. Each provides a unique challenge element while keeping to the theme of the course. The rather extreme terrain keeps traffic low so the park is usually fairly empty.
Cons: Because of the terrain, the park gets dark before sunset and can leave players in the dark if not careful. Most tees are labeled but only with spray paint. Some graffiti can make it difficult to tell the location of the next tee. (On 4 someone falsely spray painted the adjacent trees with 5 and 6). The paths are existent, but not in pristine condition. Some of the fairways feature steep descents, loose dirt, and hard to see stumps. Also the penalty for going out of bounds on some holes is a near straight down cliff. If you lose a disc to the right on 2, it is gone. If it is your first time to the course it can be difficult to locate the start
Other Thoughts: This could easily be one of the best courses in the Midwest (or even the nation) if given a little TLC. It is easily the most fun course I have played. I assume that better signage and tees are to come as well as opening some of the fairways a bit. I highly recommend hiking shoes and picking up a walking stick along the way. Loose dirt and steep hills will make your normal golf shoes feel like ballet slippers. This is not a course for the faint of heart. You will have to walk a lot. At the same time, its structure is friendly enough on most holes to support all but the newest of golfers. If you live in the area and haven't tried it out yet, I promise it is unlike any other course around.

*Update* With recent updates, this park has more than surpassed the criteria for five discs. Keep it up Omaha golfers.

best in Omaha

1    5/17/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: dirtyrice
This review was updated on 4/24/2012
Pros: A great challenging course.the elevations and being a wooded course,makes shot selection important.You will probably use alot of different disc on this course.
Cons: i cant say anything is wrong yet.The course is not finished.when its done it will be great.
Other Thoughts: Im glad there is another place to golf in Omaha.