Durango, CO
Colorado Timberline Academy DGC Share
Uploaded By: giles Hole #3 (Taken 8/2013)
3 / 253ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Great course with mass potetial

2-4    6/9/2013   6/10/2013
Review By: KDFrosty
Pros: -Close proximity to Durango, CO city limits
-18 holes, 18 baskets
-Awesome views playing in a valley between mountains and along a stream.
-Benches and shade at nearly every tee box
-Baskets recently repainted yellow for greater visibility
-Multiple pin positions for most holes.
Cons: -All teeboxes are dirt except hole 10, which tees from an unused road which bisects the course. During the dryest of months teeboxes are a sand pit.
-People were camping along the river, on what is the course's signature holes, 2, 3, and 4. One campsite was <10' from the basket on a par 3.
-A couple holes (2 and 4) play across a soccer field
-Signage could be better. We often spent time looking for the next tee box, or the basket we were shooting at.
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course,and it was nice that there were handmade benches in the shade at the tee boxes, especially in the summer.
I wish that there was some way that the course could utilize the river better, but didnt take off any of the rating bc this is out of their control.
A little bit of trash existed on the course, including a nasty sofa.

What a let down.

1    6/18/2011   6/24/2011
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 6/13/2012
Pros: The land and stream here is beautiful. Grasslands, woods, and some elevation. This part of the US must be some of the prettiest.

Great potential for an actually good course.

Some holes that I found would have been really interesting and pretty if maintained even at all.

18 baskets, secluded and quiet location. These look like old style discatchers..that is neat.
Cons: I didn't have many pro's for this course. I couldnt find some of the tees or baskets so I am unable to do a hole by hole review.

1. Course is only officially open on Sundays, the fee of $1 is not a problem.
2. Course plays in and out of mountain/BMX bike trails. They clearly have priority. The collection of ramps,runways, and jumps is actually pretty neat, however all built from discarded scrap wood and trash. Leaves the course looking kind of junky in parts.
3. Tees were unmarked, dirt, and not level.
4. Course was completely untended. Tall grass out of control trees. I had to make my Dad spot every hole halfway down the fairway. If you throw more than 150' you will spend most of your time looking for discs.
5. Signage was terrible. No direction to next tees, or tee signs. The posts were there but it is as if someone stapled paper to them at one time and didnt realize that paper doesnt last in rain.
6. GPS for the course is "kind" of correct.
7. At one point you throw out into a field (I think) and you can see 5 baskets. I still have no idea where #13 throws to.
8. Some basket...I think #2 was 2 ft from a raging river making it impossible to miss a putt long and not throw in the water. Discs would be more retrievable if it was on the edge of the grand canyon...
9 Some baskets are very old and damaged, leaning, or bent.

Other Thoughts: This course winds its way around sparcely wooded fields. A number of the holes are on a flat hill top that is more wooded than the lower holes. If mowed and maintained it might remind you of an apple orchard with slightly taller trees. Eventually (holes werent really numbered) I think, you throw off the hill and rejoin your journey in a valley/grass land that borders the academy and a camp ground. This area is mostly open with the holes throwing into and out of the canopy of mature trees or mature tree groves. As I already mentioned, I wasn't entirely sure where to throw and there was little help available.
As a course designer and builder...this one broke my heart. I just wanted to make a call back to NC to have my mower and weed eater shipped in. 4-5 work days, some signage and a little TLC and you could get this course to the 2.5-3 range. A little re-organization of the holes and teepads could make this a 4+ but its current condition it is not in my opinion more than a 1.5 (passable). There is no care to do any maintanence here. You can basically use this as a safari course and practice putting on it.
I know that a few dedicated throwers could actual turn this into a money generating property for the timberline school.

I have played in numerous states, and designed and built courses. I reviewed this course based on my experience and compared it to 4 and 5 * courses.

"Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way."

prestine

5+    5/15/2003   5/15/2011
Review By: aDedhed
Pros: its been a very long time since i played this course but as i remember it, it was very nicely laid out along the river. on a hot day the river is the perfect place to take a dip.
Cons: the course is located off the side of a highway at a very small private school. its kind of hard to find but once you find it you'll never lose it