Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #16 (Taken 5/2011)

It's my home and I love it...

5+    2/8/2014   2/9/2014
Review By: prototypicalDave
This review was updated on 2/13/2014
Pros: In a nice park in a nice area of town

Water fountains and a place to put the water when you're done with it ( bathrooms ) right at the start and end of the course.

Nice hole shape variety and mild elevation.

It requires good shot placement and line shaping off the tee to score well.

Softball fields for warming up

Nice practice basket right by hole 1

Navigation is easy for the most part with only a few long transitions. 4->5, 16->17 standing out as 'long'.

Hole 18 finishes right near where hole 1 starts.

Multiple tees on holes 1, 8, 9, 10, 17 ( additional pads are being put in slowly but surely )

Pretty clean despite having no trashcans

Benches on holes 1, 2, 3, 5( sort of), 8, 9, 10, 13, 14 and 18

2 water holes! ( with caveats see cons )

Lots of exceptional holes 4, 7, 14, 16, 17, 18

Few, if any throwaway holes. ( I'm looking at you 15 )
Cons: Still some new course blues in the form of lots of little stumps in fairways and occasional punishing rough.

Some of the debris piles leftover from the build are rather close to fairways, leading to occasional 'dangerous' lies.

Can get muddy, but Charlotte is something like 10 inches above average for rain fall right now, so most courses around here are muddy in spots.

May eventually have erosion issues on holes notably 9 and 12, possibly 3 as well

Terrain is not roller friendly

For those that prefer open holes, you will be miserable. The only really open shot on the course is hole 9 and that doesn't count!( see below ).

Occasional locals walking their dogs the wrong way up the fairway. This has gotten better as time as passed. I've even convinced a few of them to try disc golf.

There's no real 9 hole loop. you can get to the parking lot for the course right after 9, but it's a bit of a walk back to the car if you park close to hole 1 ( waah ).

Shortish, raised teepads:
I know that this is a frequent complaint about this course, so I don't want to beat that particular horse much more but...
I have fallen off the end of them more times than I can count. It has had the effect of forcing me to think about footwork more and this is a good thing. I've learned to start my x-step from behind the pad, but this makes it really difficult to be consistent with it.
I think that this is almost an "artificial" difficulty that penalizes certain types of player. I can see the validity of arguments that claim that a really good player should be able to adjust, and those arguments are right.
My counter argument is that in my opinion, teepads are supposed to provide a consistent 'safe' surface from which to start the hole. They shouldn't be an obstacle to be overcome like a high basket or fast green. I don't think that this was the designers intention either.
That being said, there have been some efforts made to at least get most of them level with the surrounding ground.

Hole 9 long.
I've lost more discs trying to birdie this hole than I have birdied this hole. This is a 289 foot open shot across water. The water carry is about 90% of the distance to the fairway with the basket placed on the upper slope of a steep 20 foot hill that drops of behind the pond. The landing zone is about 5 feet wide, set on the top of a 5 foot embankment that rises sharply out of the water.
If you hit the landing zone, you will probably skip down into the ravine. If you overshoot, you are in the ravine. If you come up short, you will roll into the water.
A short fence was added to keep discs that hit the front of the embankment from rolling into the water.
This has the effect of making sure that if you are a little bit short, the fence will slap you down and you will be in the water.
There is also a good bit of erosion happening there.
That being said, I have witnessed Sara Hokom park it, so maybe it's me.
I don't skip it, I just overshoot it and putt pack up for a three. The only reason I feel so strongly about it is that it sticks out as weird on this course since the rest of it is so solid.
I've talked with the designer about it and he says that he has considered building the green up similar to Renny #3. I would love to help and I hope that it happens.

Other Thoughts: I see a LOT of new players here. And I see them keep coming back. This course is not Nevin hard, but it's not Reedy easy either.
I would put it somewhere behind Hornets Nest and above Shugaw in difficulty.
I think it says something about a course that this type of player keeps coming back for more, especially when there are other, easier options available to them in the immediate area.

Despite there not being a 9 hole loop, you can skip from 4 to 11 and then go from 12-3 and repeat. I do this when I'm short on time. I can repeat it and play til the last vestiges of sunshine are dying and hump it back to the parking lot in time to hopefully not annoy the park staff too much.

Despite my rants about teepads and Hole 9, I love this course. It's perfect for a semi-serious fat dude like me.
It's not so long that it becomes a death march by hole 10, and it's terrain is mild enough to be interesting without requiring that I have a sherpa guide.

It's challenging enough that I don't get bored playing it several times a week.
It's a great course to work on if you want to move past being an average skilled casual player:

Hole 4 has taught me more about control and placement than the entirety of Reedy Creek, Shugaw and Killborne put together.

Hole 7 has taught me what fairway drivers are for. It's the only hole I've ever played where I throw a Comet off the tee and a Valk on my second shot.

Hole 15 is just evil. I haven't learned it's lesson yet, but I have high hopes.

It's overall design language makes for a mean yet loving instructor whose primary lesson is that you don't need to rip every drive at %100.

It's difficulty is right in line with my abilities and athletic conditioning in that I can shoot really well here on a good day, and have the worst round of my life on a bad one. I love it and am grateful for all of the work that it took and takes for me to have it.

Solid Everyday Course

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The Scrapyard may be the best everyday course in Charlotte. By that I don't mean it's the best course, or that I would play it everyday. I mean if I was local to the area, it is the one I could play several times a week. Courses like Renaissance may be better but they are more like a treat. A once-in-a-while reward. (And part of that reward is complete exhaustion.) The Scrapyard is the course I want to play regularly.

This is just a solid, solid course. Tight lines down wooded fairways. Narrow but fair lines. The trees line the fairways here and they tend not to pop up in the middle. It's technical golf in the Carolina woods, as it should be. Hit the line: score well. Miss, even slightly and you'll feel it on your scorecard.

It's long for a course that is almost entirely woods, but it's not too long. There are for par-fours, ranging from 400-500 feet, but nothing longer than that. Half the holes are under 300 feet, though only one is less than 250. It's a good length to emphasize the technical nature of the setting and while it skips too-short, wasted holes, it doesn't have the drag-you-down-and-spit-you-out holes either. (Not that I don't like that type of hole, but sometimes I'd like a quicker round.)

Tee Scrapyard also has great flow, with intuitive transitions and short walks between holes. That last part is key if this is going to be an every day course. I don't mind walking a ways tofind great holes, but a course that sports solid hole after solid hole, with minimal walk in-between(and thus shorter play times) is just a treasure.

It's even got water. There is a small pond that is carried twice. 8 is the short, easy carry, which is a lot of fun. It's an easy shot on its face, but water always complicates things. The second, tougher and more interesting throw is 9. It's 289 feet to the basket but with the shape of the water, you can throw less and make it across. The best part is the knee-high fence that lines the edge, eliminating the frustrating experience of making the carry, only to watch the disc roll into the water.

Really, it's just a solid, playable design featuring hole after hole of places where "I want to throw a disc down that fairway." I'd more than recommend it to fellow visitors to Charlotte and if I was local, I think this would be the course I played the most.
Cons: While it's a solid course, it's not a spectacular one. There aren't any signature holes really. I liked all 18 but I didn't love any. There are no holes that I'm going to remember, whereas most of the big Charlotte courses have at least one. Even the water holes aren't particularly notable water holed. It's a solid day of disc golf at the Scrapyard but it's not really an experience, if you will.

What else might I have wanted? A little more elevation maybe. It's relatively flat. It's technical enough without it, but it would be nice. Perhaps slightly bigger tee pads for some of the throws required.

I could also see the conditions being not great in the summer. It's pretty out there in the woods and that pond has to breed some insects. And judging by the insane amount of fallen leaves, I'm guessing the foliage gets pretty dense. I saw perfect conditions in the autumn.
Other Thoughts: If you're local and not playing this course already, you are already doing something wrong. If you're a visitor, I can't promise a life-changing experience here. But if you want a solid course that plays a little quicker in between rounds at some of the destination courses in the area, you won't do better than the Scrapyard.

Technical and frustrating - fits right into Charlotte!

2-4    9/1/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Fairly challenging without getting repetitive
+ Variable distances and fairway shapes
+ Simple, easy to follow layout
+ Divided into two 9-hole loops
+ Good quality tee pads, signs, and baskets
+ Par levels appropriate
+ Water holes were cool and challenging
+ Mild elevation changes (sometimes deceiving)
+ Multiple tees where appropriate
+ Almost completely in the woods (good for hot Charlotte days)
+ Facilities (bathrooms, drinking fountain, other activities)
+ Practice basket
+ Nice area of town
+ Easy parking
Cons: - Rough is rough
- Not to mention the spider webs… blargh!
- Fairways/basket placement weren't always easy to predict even with good tee signs (just look ahead)
- Little bit of poison ivy
- Only one hole sucked... Maybe... And could be fixed by chopping a few trees down (read on)
Other Thoughts: For two intermediate throwers, The Scrapyard was definitely fun and right up our alley. We both threw four over on our first round here, and we were competing with each other pretty heavily staying close to par for most of both rounds. Our wives had a much more difficult time on the front 9, mostly getting frustrated because of the tight fairways and unforgiving rough. They called it quits after skipping the water holes and met back up with us at the same spot an hour and a half later (halfway through our second round). Their loss! Giving them a little credit, I have to say that the rough really upped the challenge for all of us. In reality, though, the rough is probably less rough than other CLT courses. At least there weren't any really wet spots, pits/ravines, huge hillsides, or a ton of thorny bushes. Just thousands of small trees to ruin your get-out-of-trouble shots.

Perhaps 17 out of 18 holes had clearly defined lines and fairways to hit, sometimes multiple. Miss those lines and you'll resent and enjoy the satisfying frustration of Charlotte disc golf. Locals are used to it, I'm sure. Anyway, most of the fairways are fairly tight requiring balancing distance and accuracy with control of the right disc. I think the longest hole, at 500', was also the most technically challenging. The slight left to right zigzag made it very fun. On the other hand, the one hole that I didn't feel had a clearly defined line to hit, bugged me quite a bit (#16). It really only needs a couple trees cut down (maybe as few as 5) to make it a fair hole. Actually, I'm probably just annoyed because that was the hole that ruined my win! Either way, take a look and judge for yourself.

Well, there really aren't many negatives for The Scrapyard (and the ones I identified aren't major whatsoever). It wasn't super challenging, exceptionally beautiful, or exhibit a ton of diversity, but it played very smoothly and didn't get repetitive. I really appreciated the water shots as well as the 9-hole looped layout. The varying technical difficulty of the course helped make it enjoyable and fit right in with the rest of Charlotte. All that said, the course slightly shines in this city of amazing disc golf. Overall, I rank The Scrapyard at the same level of enjoyment as Reedy Creek, a Very Good 3.5 out of 5.

Thanks for reading!

This is Charlotte Disc Golf

1    7/23/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: As one of the few courses in Charlotte that I had yet to play I was very excited to finally check Scrapyard off the list. This is not the largest park by any means but they certainly made a large and great course in the woods here. This is the only course I can think of in Charlotte where you are forced to throw over water. you do have some bail out options (lay up to the short tee) but you still have to throw over some water. the fairways for most of these holes are extremely fair. and are not punishing of good shots. Now if you miss the line you will pay the price, but thats alright by me. I think it has a nice variation of LH and RH shots, many holes are equally tough for either. My absolute favorite thing about this course is the isolation. you dont have anything else going on where the DG course is and you feel like Disc Golf is the main attraction. I have played a few other courses in Charlotte where you have to watch for kids or pedestrians or even cars, not here you dont.
There were not a bunch of gimmicky greens either. most were protected but not overly punishing for a good putt.(except for 9)
Cons: Not a whole lot of Cons. I am one who enjoys elevation changes, there was not much of this. Also, it is nice to be able to air out a drive a couple of times per rd. This course limits that due to tightness and turns.
Other Thoughts: This is a great example of Charlotte Disc Golf and the style of DG we play in the South. hit your lines and make the placement shot and you will be rewarded. Get greedy and try to drive the green, you will be punished. Anyone who is coming here should bring a couple throwaway discs for the water carries. I did not and chose to lay up on the first one when I really wanted to go for it. All in all, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Charlotte, you will not be disappointed.

legit

5+    3/1/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: onetimeme
Pros: You win or you die on the water holes. Very diverse selection of shots.
Cons: You win or you die by the water hole. Also, that one par 3 with the impossible line is...well, impossible.
Other Thoughts: Good course for a casual day of disc golf that will hone your skills. Good test of mid rsnge shots. few up, few down, few left, few right. Average difficulty, given all the woods. Good place to check out. We're so spoiled here in Charlotte though I'd rather play nest and renny all day ;)

Fun Course Close to Home

2-4    4/1/2013   4/2/2013
Review By: HeavyEd
Pros: Love that such a high quality course is close to home (live in Morris Farms Area)
Beautiful layout; you dont feel like 3 holes playing the same field.
Playground nearby for the kiddies.
Cons: Litterbugs leave their trash everywhere.
Parks & Rec need to pick up and change out the bags hung on trees, replace them with cans at least.
Still a lot of roots and stumps. Make sure the kiddies step high.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. very technical with a few long shots in it. One of our favorites. Just wish people didn't leave such a mess.

1    3/12/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Another great wooded course in Charlotte.
Great tees and baskets, all in excellent shape.
Tee signs are professionally done and a great help. Distances seemed accurate.
I really enjoy the layout. The course is in the woods, but the fairways are FAIR, meaning there are no trick-trees smack in the middle of the fairways that take an otherwise great shot and make it terrible just by being in the perfect line. Sure, some fairways are tight, but all of them are more than fair.
A few of the holes are quite long, requiring good placement shots, which is one of my favorite design aspects.
Nice blend of shots. Some are slightly uphill, some slightly downhill(not a lot of elevation change here). Left- and right-turning holes, and even a couple water carries :)
Doesn't interfere with any other part of the park, feels almost private at times.
Navigation could be tricky if not for the spray paint, arrows, and other various markers that lead you in the right direction.
Trash bags for your litter.
Cons: The rain had come down the night before I played, and while it wasn't a substantial downpour, it was enough to affect the course. Essentially, the fairways were soaked, and to stay dry I had to AVOID the fairways, like the water found its way to the ideal lines...the tee pads were just fine for the most part.
The pond smells like....let's not go there. I hit a great shot on #9 over the water, but my hot pink ESP Buzzz slid ever so slowly into the abyss. Was maybe only a foot into the water, but never could see it or snag it with a stick. I was NOT about to dive into this water -- think of the Bog in "Labyrinth:...I hear someone fishes them out for a small fee, but it's been a week and no call. Not mad about it, just know that the visibility in the pond is 1 inch, and the smell if you touch it is permanent.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my new home, and I look forward to dominating all over it in the future. If not for the smell of the pond, I would put this at a 4, but I can't avoid it in my review, it's the one thing that will stick out to anyone who plays here for the first time. Hit me up if you need a guide or just someone to toss with!

Solid but Unrefined as of Yet

5+    5/5/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: curmudgeonDwindle
Other Thoughts: Course is in a district level park featuring rolling piedmont landscape under mature canopy. Park is almost 60 acres and course is sequestered from other park activities. Park shares design features common to area parks, those being a complete periphery buffer and an entrance road leading to the park's interior where facilities are developed. Course is another iteration of the wooded/technical variety. Moderate power can score very well here, even from the advertised extended course. The average hole distance is less than 340' and on the short course 14 holes are less than 300'.

It should be noted that this course is young and, observations are not judgments. Signage is mixed, with superior tee signs on the short course. Paths on this course are narrow, long, winding and sinuous, and the routing has a rough spot in the transition from #15 to #16. Way-finding markers are inconsistent and faint. Equipment is above average. Tee pads are adequate, although some may feel them undersized. Park amenities are above average. There is a lot of fallen wood on this course, both from natural causes and from course construction. In several instances at The Scrapyard, major course features are centered on either diseased/injured trees or short-lived tree species. Rough is much less penal here than average for a course of this age. Wind effect blunted due to heavy canopy on all but the water carries. There are a few potential drainage issues, but nothing too intrusive or unsafe.

As for course balance, from the tee, natural clock spin shot shapes appear to be moderately favored on the 'scoring' holes, although many of these same landing zones do not favor fading shots approaching with this spin. By contrast the high handicap holes decidedly favor a stable counter-spin shot shape from the tee. Course requires consistent ability to hit tight gaps off the tee to keep the disc in play. To really score, one needs hit the gaps with the right angle, height and speed. Close putts from one's tee shot are really earned here. The 2 forced carries both favor a clock spin stable shot and are each a bit less than 300'. When the pond is full, #8 is the most aesthetically pleasing hole on the course.

Greens here are quite forgiving in the main, with the notable exception of #9, which can be severely penal, even to the point where it seems a little out of character with the rest of the course. #15 is a very nice punctuation mark of a short hole (215'); it is such a tempting 'straight-up' challenge, that one might feel a little embarrassed if the birdie is missed.

Course monkeys with one's perception with many blind or semi-blind holes; frequently the line of play is visible, but the target/landing zone is 'just around the corner'. 11 of the Scrapyard's holes are like this and it requires a special mindset to 'play' this feature effectively. Course knowledge would also be very useful in scoring well here, as not all trouble is easily seen, and therefore avoidable, from the tee (ie: 'hidden' tree syndrome). There are no 'impure' lines however.

As is generally the case, The Scrapyard will soften and play quality should improve as foot-traffic increases. Also of note is the unique funding method used to create this course, something this reviewer feels is a 'win-win' for all involved parties.

What a blast!

1    3/8/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Lots of varying length holes.
Even for beginners there's some ace opportunities, esp. #8.
Benches are really appreciated.
Teepads are excellent.
Rough isn't overgrown, very open making it easy to find errant or ricocheted discs.
Trash cans and bags are everywhere.
Very well separated from the park and secluded, you are really out in the woods and not distracted.
Yellow topped Discatchers easy to see, but this will probably change a bit when everything leafs out soon.
Cons: Signs pointing to next tees were good when they were available.
Tee signs with directions soon to come I'm sure. For now the small orange marked posts at each tee suffice.
Other Thoughts: Too bad we have such inconsiderate, lazy people on this course. Empty cig packs and paper bagged empty 40's not even 3 feet from a trash receptacle.
As a beginner I was a bit intimidated when I read about, then started playing, this course. That was wrong. yes, it is challenging, but it is very forgiving for beginners in a lot of ways. It is also very difficult in spots as well which makes it interesting and fun.I almost aced #8 across the water with a Leopard thrown high and to the right which faded and dropped 10 feet from the pin on the opposite bank....what a rush that was! Then on to #9 and OMG! The pin is across the water, about 2 feet down the far side of an 8 foot wide berm. If you miss long, you're down a hill and faced with an uphill putt. There is an alternate teepad that allows you to try it and miss the water by throwing along the back side of the berm.
Hole # 7 is 500 feet long, the longest I have ever played. Most are in the upper 200's, with a couple under 200.
We really enjoyed this course and are planning to visit it frequently.

1    12/28/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: jksenior
Pros: The course design was very good. the holes were generally fair, fun and an equal number of righty and lefty holes.

This is a course that was not too difficult, but there were not any real gimme deuces. The one hole that was very short, was also very, very tight - think 5-6 foot gap to throw through.

The water holes were very fair (even though my disc hit the bank on 10 and rolled into the pond). They were challeging but quite birdie-able.

The course seemed pretty well "beaten in" for a new course. New courses are often quite brutal if you miss a line and go off fairway. There wasn't a lot of scrub off of the fairways, so there was an opportunity to get back into play. Kudos to the developers if this brush was cleared.

Navigation was easy with directional signs to the next tee. Tee signs were small and basic, but were there.
Cons: The biggest con for me was the teepads. While I appreciate the fact that concrete pads were recently installed, the pads were way too small and were often slightly above the level of the surrounding ground. This made it very difficult to make a run up on most of the holes.

No major cons regarding the holes themselves. Maybe an additional tough par 4 would add to the course, but there are plenty of those in Charlotte.

Other Thoughts: The majority of the holes were of similar length (250-300). This may seem like it would get repetitive, but it didn't seem like I threw the same discs over and over.

The park was in a nice section of town, so no issues there compared to some of the Charlotte "hood" courses.

I thnk this course sets up well for players of all abilities. Pros will undoubtedly shoot in the mid to upper 40's; and good players should be able to break par easily. Beginners will enjoy as well since the majority of the holes should be reachable.

Overall a pleasant experience and a good addition to charlotte's courses.