Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #9 (Taken 5/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
The Scrap (Where I played like crap)

1    6/22/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I never made time to play this course and in the CAC, let's just say I paid for it. The course actually gave me a wedgie and I wore my underwear over my head at Dry Creek after my round here. This is a good course in a good park. If the baseball fields are empty, you can warm up in the fields. This course is all wooded so you must hit your line or you will shoot a +12 like I did.
-Well defined fairways on this course. Hole 15 is super narrow but the short distance makes up for it. Some can be hard to hit because the fairways are very diverse. You don't know what you will get but they are all fair.
-There is a practice basket on your way to hole 1 beside the parking lot in the woods. Walk up a little further and you will find hole 1. There are also amenities. Trash bags on almost every hole if not all, there are bathrooms beside hole 1 and benches on almost every hole.
-This isn't hard to navigate. Sure, there are a few fairly long transitions but there are next tee signs. Just follow the wider paths. For instance, the transition from 6 to 7 could be considered "difficult." So go down the WIDER path after hole 6.
-I love both of the water holes. My favorite hole was #8 but I think #9 is easily the signature hole. #8 from the short is a fun ace run with a nice water carry and from the long tee, it has that Buckhorn feeling to it. It's 300 feet from the long so you will need a good 280+ shot over the pond. #9 is a harder hole. You only play over the water from the long tee. It's a fun hyzer shot over the pond. It definitely requires a long driver throw from the long tee and there is a steep drop off near 20' down left of the basket. The short tee is just a righty flick in the woods.
-Good length variety on this course. There are a few holes <200' and there is one right at 500'. #7 is the longest hole at 500', it's the hole that requires the most accuracy. It's long and very tough.
-There is some elevation out here. Not very much but some. #4 is the hardest hole in my book. The drive is quite a bit uphill so the hole plays longer than 432' and the fairway does turn left but you still don't want to throw a driver. The woods are more difficult on this hole.
Cons: -Most of the holes are just good at the best. Only #8 and #9 were the really fun holes out here. I'm not saying those were the only two I liked but in 20 years from now, if someone were to ask me "Remember Idlewild Park?" I'd probably just say "Oh yeah, the Scrapyard."
-The water can get up pretty high. If you throw a disc in the water, you will really want to pay attention to wear it landed because if it landed more than 10 feet from the fairway, you won't see it. You will have to FEEL it. Don't get confused with a rock.
-Fairways are fair but that doesn't mean it would hurt to chop a few down. #12 needs a couple chopped down because the fairway is very odd. It would be good if a couple were chopped down too on #18.
-It's just too hard on rollers. Even some of the trees will cause rollers. The drop offs can be very unforgiving.
-Few filler holes here. #9 short is definitely disappointing. It's just a short ace run in the woods. If you play the shorts. I recommend you just play the long tee on this hole.
-The tee pads could be longer and a few are raised. I really don't like raised tee pads. Especially #10's. If you have a huge run up like I do, you will not be satisfied.
Other Thoughts: -This is a good course in South Charlotte. Worth the play if you live around Charlotte. If you are just visiting, I recommend you play something else because there are so many more courses in Charlotte that have lots of variety. You do get to play holes 8 and 9 though but they are the only stand outs here and they are both of the water holes. I think you will leave happy here if you play Idlewild but you may be disappointed if you really want variety. If that is what you want, play Dry Creek, or Angry Beaver. They got so much more variety than Idlewild. However, I do not recall any holes here that I disliked. None of them are actually bad like there are at most courses.
-I do wish I played this course sooner than I did, I just never made the time to play it. Definitely find time to play here if you live around Charlotte, you might really love it. I liked it but wanted a little more.

It's my home and I love it...

5+    2/8/2014   2/9/2014
Review By: prototypicalDave
This review was updated on 2/13/2014
Pros: In a nice park in a nice area of town

Water fountains and a place to put the water when you're done with it ( bathrooms ) right at the start and end of the course.

Nice hole shape variety and mild elevation.

It requires good shot placement and line shaping off the tee to score well.

Softball fields for warming up

Nice practice basket right by hole 1

Navigation is easy for the most part with only a few long transitions. 4->5, 16->17 standing out as 'long'.

Hole 18 finishes right near where hole 1 starts.

Multiple tees on holes 1, 8, 9, 10, 17 ( additional pads are being put in slowly but surely )

Pretty clean despite having no trashcans

Benches on holes 1, 2, 3, 5( sort of), 8, 9, 10, 13, 14 and 18

2 water holes! ( with caveats see cons )

Lots of exceptional holes 4, 7, 14, 16, 17, 18

Few, if any throwaway holes. ( I'm looking at you 15 )
Cons: Still some new course blues in the form of lots of little stumps in fairways and occasional punishing rough.

Some of the debris piles leftover from the build are rather close to fairways, leading to occasional 'dangerous' lies.

Can get muddy, but Charlotte is something like 10 inches above average for rain fall right now, so most courses around here are muddy in spots.

May eventually have erosion issues on holes notably 9 and 12, possibly 3 as well

Terrain is not roller friendly

For those that prefer open holes, you will be miserable. The only really open shot on the course is hole 9 and that doesn't count!( see below ).

Occasional locals walking their dogs the wrong way up the fairway. This has gotten better as time as passed. I've even convinced a few of them to try disc golf.

There's no real 9 hole loop. you can get to the parking lot for the course right after 9, but it's a bit of a walk back to the car if you park close to hole 1 ( waah ).

Shortish, raised teepads:
I know that this is a frequent complaint about this course, so I don't want to beat that particular horse much more but...
I have fallen off the end of them more times than I can count. It has had the effect of forcing me to think about footwork more and this is a good thing. I've learned to start my x-step from behind the pad, but this makes it really difficult to be consistent with it.
I think that this is almost an "artificial" difficulty that penalizes certain types of player. I can see the validity of arguments that claim that a really good player should be able to adjust, and those arguments are right.
My counter argument is that in my opinion, teepads are supposed to provide a consistent 'safe' surface from which to start the hole. They shouldn't be an obstacle to be overcome like a high basket or fast green. I don't think that this was the designers intention either.
That being said, there have been some efforts made to at least get most of them level with the surrounding ground.

Hole 9 long.
I've lost more discs trying to birdie this hole than I have birdied this hole. This is a 289 foot open shot across water. The water carry is about 90% of the distance to the fairway with the basket placed on the upper slope of a steep 20 foot hill that drops of behind the pond. The landing zone is about 5 feet wide, set on the top of a 5 foot embankment that rises sharply out of the water.
If you hit the landing zone, you will probably skip down into the ravine. If you overshoot, you are in the ravine. If you come up short, you will roll into the water.
A short fence was added to keep discs that hit the front of the embankment from rolling into the water.
This has the effect of making sure that if you are a little bit short, the fence will slap you down and you will be in the water.
There is also a good bit of erosion happening there.
That being said, I have witnessed Sara Hokom park it, so maybe it's me.
I don't skip it, I just overshoot it and putt pack up for a three. The only reason I feel so strongly about it is that it sticks out as weird on this course since the rest of it is so solid.
I've talked with the designer about it and he says that he has considered building the green up similar to Renny #3. I would love to help and I hope that it happens.

Other Thoughts: I see a LOT of new players here. And I see them keep coming back. This course is not Nevin hard, but it's not Reedy easy either.
I would put it somewhere behind Hornets Nest and above Shugaw in difficulty.
I think it says something about a course that this type of player keeps coming back for more, especially when there are other, easier options available to them in the immediate area.

Despite there not being a 9 hole loop, you can skip from 4 to 11 and then go from 12-3 and repeat. I do this when I'm short on time. I can repeat it and play til the last vestiges of sunshine are dying and hump it back to the parking lot in time to hopefully not annoy the park staff too much.

Despite my rants about teepads and Hole 9, I love this course. It's perfect for a semi-serious fat dude like me.
It's not so long that it becomes a death march by hole 10, and it's terrain is mild enough to be interesting without requiring that I have a sherpa guide.

It's challenging enough that I don't get bored playing it several times a week.
It's a great course to work on if you want to move past being an average skilled casual player:

Hole 4 has taught me more about control and placement than the entirety of Reedy Creek, Shugaw and Killborne put together.

Hole 7 has taught me what fairway drivers are for. It's the only hole I've ever played where I throw a Comet off the tee and a Valk on my second shot.

Hole 15 is just evil. I haven't learned it's lesson yet, but I have high hopes.

It's overall design language makes for a mean yet loving instructor whose primary lesson is that you don't need to rip every drive at %100.

It's difficulty is right in line with my abilities and athletic conditioning in that I can shoot really well here on a good day, and have the worst round of my life on a bad one. I love it and am grateful for all of the work that it took and takes for me to have it.

Good Track

1    1/19/2014   1/19/2014
Review By: mateobueno
Pros: Tee pads, well signed, great wooded technical holes. Plenty of benches.
Cons: Both water holes looked contrived (man made lake?). There was also one par 3 on the back which was extremely narrow, so both my father and I threw left and down into a prickly wooded area, and then back up the bank--we both easily made par (doubtful that would have been the case with the "head on" route), but it felt like a lot of trouble to go through just to get a 3! Trash bags tied to the benches, which is better than nothing, but one could envision some animal tearing into them at night and making a mess.

1    12/19/2013   12/27/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Scrapyard is a succession of wooded holes of varying lengths and tightness. The longer par 4s are challenging and remind you to stick carefully to the fairway, much like Nevin or the wooded holes at Hornet's Nest. The shorter holes are tough birdies and force you to hit a particular line, but pars are not hard to come by if your placement is good.
There are two water carries, which is pretty rare in these parts. Hole 8 is not a difficult throw across, and even a solid Rec player with decent accuracy should be able to make it across. Hole 9 is a longer carry to the basket perched on a sort of earthen dam about 10 feet from the shore. It is a fun, longer ace run for RHBH players, although a birdie is pretty tough (and maybe unlikely) due to the steep slope to the left of the basket. Both water holes have shorter tee pads that avoid the water carries, if you are nervous.
I liked some of the longer holes that opened up into lightly wooded fairways, the kind that offer you multiple lines of varying difficulty. These are the ones that are fun to replay.
Tee pads are concrete. I think I looked at the map once or twice, but navigation was generally fine.
Cons: The rough here was pretty bad. On one hole my turnover shot didn't turn over and just went straight into the rough, maybe 20 feet. I took a 6 on that hole because it took three shots to get out of the rough. It was a drive that deserved to be punished, but not with three strokes. It's inevitable that you'll end up in the rough at some point, and this kind of punishment (not to mention the thorny, physical punishment) takes some of the fun out of a round.
Other than the two water holes, there weren't a lot of memorable holes. Lots of good, solid holes, but nothing that really sticks out. There is very little elevation, open space, or anything else that makes the holes look or feel different.
Other Thoughts: This is a solid course and will work your technical game. I thought the fun factor here was a bit less than most of the other Charlotte courses I played, but that is only because the bar is set so high in the area. This would be the best local course in many parts of the country. There are a lot of similarly rated courses on this side of town, so it's easy enough to pair with several other places for a good day of disc golf.

Solid Everyday Course

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The Scrapyard may be the best everyday course in Charlotte. By that I don't mean it's the best course, or that I would play it everyday. I mean if I was local to the area, it is the one I could play several times a week. Courses like Renaissance may be better but they are more like a treat. A once-in-a-while reward. (And part of that reward is complete exhaustion.) The Scrapyard is the course I want to play regularly.

This is just a solid, solid course. Tight lines down wooded fairways. Narrow but fair lines. The trees line the fairways here and they tend not to pop up in the middle. It's technical golf in the Carolina woods, as it should be. Hit the line: score well. Miss, even slightly and you'll feel it on your scorecard.

It's long for a course that is almost entirely woods, but it's not too long. There are for par-fours, ranging from 400-500 feet, but nothing longer than that. Half the holes are under 300 feet, though only one is less than 250. It's a good length to emphasize the technical nature of the setting and while it skips too-short, wasted holes, it doesn't have the drag-you-down-and-spit-you-out holes either. (Not that I don't like that type of hole, but sometimes I'd like a quicker round.)

Tee Scrapyard also has great flow, with intuitive transitions and short walks between holes. That last part is key if this is going to be an every day course. I don't mind walking a ways tofind great holes, but a course that sports solid hole after solid hole, with minimal walk in-between(and thus shorter play times) is just a treasure.

It's even got water. There is a small pond that is carried twice. 8 is the short, easy carry, which is a lot of fun. It's an easy shot on its face, but water always complicates things. The second, tougher and more interesting throw is 9. It's 289 feet to the basket but with the shape of the water, you can throw less and make it across. The best part is the knee-high fence that lines the edge, eliminating the frustrating experience of making the carry, only to watch the disc roll into the water.

Really, it's just a solid, playable design featuring hole after hole of places where "I want to throw a disc down that fairway." I'd more than recommend it to fellow visitors to Charlotte and if I was local, I think this would be the course I played the most.
Cons: While it's a solid course, it's not a spectacular one. There aren't any signature holes really. I liked all 18 but I didn't love any. There are no holes that I'm going to remember, whereas most of the big Charlotte courses have at least one. Even the water holes aren't particularly notable water holed. It's a solid day of disc golf at the Scrapyard but it's not really an experience, if you will.

What else might I have wanted? A little more elevation maybe. It's relatively flat. It's technical enough without it, but it would be nice. Perhaps slightly bigger tee pads for some of the throws required.

I could also see the conditions being not great in the summer. It's pretty out there in the woods and that pond has to breed some insects. And judging by the insane amount of fallen leaves, I'm guessing the foliage gets pretty dense. I saw perfect conditions in the autumn.
Other Thoughts: If you're local and not playing this course already, you are already doing something wrong. If you're a visitor, I can't promise a life-changing experience here. But if you want a solid course that plays a little quicker in between rounds at some of the destination courses in the area, you won't do better than the Scrapyard.

1    9/5/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: Donnie F
Pros: This course has to be one of the best that Charlotte has to offer. Very well designed for the technical player. Has a variety of different shots and a great mix of distance's to the pin. The 2 water holes are awesome. If you follow the orange dots and the arrows it will easily allow for course navigation.
Cons: The only thing I found that I didn't like was that I had to walk back up 14's fairway to get to the tee on 15.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course to anyone that finds time for a stop in the Charlotte area

Technical and frustrating - fits right into Charlotte!

2-4    9/1/2013   9/7/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Fairly challenging without getting repetitive
+ Variable distances and fairway shapes
+ Simple, easy to follow layout
+ Divided into two 9-hole loops
+ Good quality tee pads, signs, and baskets
+ Par levels appropriate
+ Water holes were cool and challenging
+ Mild elevation changes (sometimes deceiving)
+ Multiple tees where appropriate
+ Almost completely in the woods (good for hot Charlotte days)
+ Facilities (bathrooms, drinking fountain, other activities)
+ Practice basket
+ Nice area of town
+ Easy parking
Cons: - Rough is rough
- Not to mention the spider webs… blargh!
- Fairways/basket placement weren't always easy to predict even with good tee signs (just look ahead)
- Little bit of poison ivy
- Only one hole sucked... Maybe... And could be fixed by chopping a few trees down (read on)
Other Thoughts: For two intermediate throwers, The Scrapyard was definitely fun and right up our alley. We both threw four over on our first round here, and we were competing with each other pretty heavily staying close to par for most of both rounds. Our wives had a much more difficult time on the front 9, mostly getting frustrated because of the tight fairways and unforgiving rough. They called it quits after skipping the water holes and met back up with us at the same spot an hour and a half later (halfway through our second round). Their loss! Giving them a little credit, I have to say that the rough really upped the challenge for all of us. In reality, though, the rough is probably less rough than other CLT courses. At least there weren't any really wet spots, pits/ravines, huge hillsides, or a ton of thorny bushes. Just thousands of small trees to ruin your get-out-of-trouble shots.

Perhaps 17 out of 18 holes had clearly defined lines and fairways to hit, sometimes multiple. Miss those lines and you'll resent and enjoy the satisfying frustration of Charlotte disc golf. Locals are used to it, I'm sure. Anyway, most of the fairways are fairly tight requiring balancing distance and accuracy with control of the right disc. I think the longest hole, at 500', was also the most technically challenging. The slight left to right zigzag made it very fun. On the other hand, the one hole that I didn't feel had a clearly defined line to hit, bugged me quite a bit (#16). It really only needs a couple trees cut down (maybe as few as 5) to make it a fair hole. Actually, I'm probably just annoyed because that was the hole that ruined my win! Either way, take a look and judge for yourself.

Well, there really aren't many negatives for The Scrapyard (and the ones I identified aren't major whatsoever). It wasn't super challenging, exceptionally beautiful, or exhibit a ton of diversity, but it played very smoothly and didn't get repetitive. I really appreciated the water shots as well as the 9-hole looped layout. The varying technical difficulty of the course helped make it enjoyable and fit right in with the rest of Charlotte. All that said, the course slightly shines in this city of amazing disc golf. Overall, I rank The Scrapyard at the same level of enjoyment as Reedy Creek, a Very Good 3.5 out of 5.

Thanks for reading!

This is Charlotte Disc Golf

1    7/23/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: TOURNEYPLAYER
Pros: As one of the few courses in Charlotte that I had yet to play I was very excited to finally check Scrapyard off the list. This is not the largest park by any means but they certainly made a large and great course in the woods here. This is the only course I can think of in Charlotte where you are forced to throw over water. you do have some bail out options (lay up to the short tee) but you still have to throw over some water. the fairways for most of these holes are extremely fair. and are not punishing of good shots. Now if you miss the line you will pay the price, but thats alright by me. I think it has a nice variation of LH and RH shots, many holes are equally tough for either. My absolute favorite thing about this course is the isolation. you dont have anything else going on where the DG course is and you feel like Disc Golf is the main attraction. I have played a few other courses in Charlotte where you have to watch for kids or pedestrians or even cars, not here you dont.
There were not a bunch of gimmicky greens either. most were protected but not overly punishing for a good putt.(except for 9)
Cons: Not a whole lot of Cons. I am one who enjoys elevation changes, there was not much of this. Also, it is nice to be able to air out a drive a couple of times per rd. This course limits that due to tightness and turns.
Other Thoughts: This is a great example of Charlotte Disc Golf and the style of DG we play in the South. hit your lines and make the placement shot and you will be rewarded. Get greedy and try to drive the green, you will be punished. Anyone who is coming here should bring a couple throwaway discs for the water carries. I did not and chose to lay up on the first one when I really wanted to go for it. All in all, I would recommend this to anyone visiting Charlotte, you will not be disappointed.

First CLT course played - did not disappoint

1    7/5/2013   7/6/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: Started traveling to Charlotte for work - have looked forward to playing the area for some time.
- fairly convenient, 5 minutes from the interstate
- good signage. The tee signs show all pertinent info. There are decent "too next hole" arrows when the next teepad isn't obvious. (I did have the benefit of playing with someone who had played the course before).
- the layout is challenging and fun. Good mix of "longer" and short, left and right, a few slight elevation changes. Water shots - more on that later.
- yellow banded baskets were easy to see.
- benches at most holes. Garbage bags at most holes. Restrooms by teepad 1. Lots of parking.
Cons: - there are a lot of trails winding through the course - it was well marked, but there were a few transitions that were a little confusing.
- played after some rain, and course was kind of "washed-out". It was a little soft in some places.
- this course is tight - I woul not bring someone here to introduce them to the sport.... For an intermediate player, this is not a con.
- the pond was super high (probably due to rain). Probably made 9 a little tougher then it typically is.
Other Thoughts: This was my first Charlotte course, and I was not disappointed! I was joined by a cool local on #2 and he was my guide. I consider myself an intermediate player. Shot 3 birdies, and more bogeys. I think this would be a fun course to play on a regular basis and look forward to playing it again. Lost a throwaway disc on 9 - probably one of the toughest holes I've played. I tried to hit the gap - I'm sure you could lay-up by trying to miss trees short. With regards to fairways being "fair" - for the most part, the longer holes have wider fairways. Some are pretty tight. Very technical. Want to leave mysel some room for higher ratings for some of the other CLT courses. Reminds me of a cross between Buckhorn and Leigh Farms up in the triangle. Great course. It's definitely worth a stop.

Love it!

5+    4/1/2013   4/6/2013
Review By: MacMan
Pros: Really fun course. Well designed, using the available land. Technical woods course, "not too hard, not too easy" shaped holes. Fairways are "fair". No hidden trees/ impossible shots. Love holes 8 & 9- great risk/ reward. Nice tee pads. Short concrete with back fill framed around them, plays like larger tee pads. Balance of straight, left and right turns. Good tee signs. Practice basket by hole 1. Bath rooms by holes 1 & 18. Best shaded course I've played, really notice it in the summer.
Cons: Trippers/ tree stumps. Lots have been removed, still lots out there. Water in the lake is down. Was told there is a leak and doubt that the parks dept will fix it any time soon.
Other Thoughts: Really love playing this course. Not too hard, but not easy. The par 4s require placement shots off the tee, not just throw it as far as you can, throw it again... Love the design of this course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4