Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #17 (Taken 5/2011)

Instant Favorite

5+    11/21/2013   9/15/2011
Review By: bikinjack
This review was updated on 11/22/2013
Pros: The layout and design is terrific. It's North Carolina woods golf at it's finest. This course instantly became my favorite Charlotte course because of its beautiful forest, terrain, and design that utilizes those and challenges my disc golf game just the right way. It's not super hard, nor a beat down in the way of a course like Nevin or Renny, but it challenges my game a bit more than courses like Reedy Creek or Sugaw.

The two water holes, #8 and #9, are a big pro for me. It's something that's been lacking on a course around here, and refreshing to see. There are also a couple of tricky greens where an overly aggressive missed putt can cost you strokes, which are plentiful in this area.

The tees are natural for now, and I know this will be changing soon, and the tee signs are fairly basic, both of which are more than adequate for me.

The Scrayard is in my opinion by far the best looking of all the courses in Charlotte. There are lots of big healthy trees on and around the course, and the underbrush, while there, isn't so thick and dense that it takes away from the look and health of the forest. That underbrush also allows for recovery on errant shots while still punishing them fairly.
Cons: There is a little bit of repetition in the lengths of the holes, as well as hole shapes, but the lengths suit my game well. Big sweeping right turning holes are in a little more abundance here than any other course I've played, but I like making those throws too. Others may not like them so much, so to each their own.
Other Thoughts: There is a restroom and water fountain right by where hole 1 starts and hole 18 finishes. The course doesn't loop back by the parking area until you're done, so get your water when you start, and between rounds.

The nearest store is a couple of miles down the road, so you can load up on refreshments there.

There are ball fields and a pretty nice looking playground at the park, neither of which come into play on the course.

Navigation is pretty straight forward, as there is plenty of signage and a little flagging tape to point you in the right direction. The biggest source of possible confusion would be where two paths between holes (#5 & 11, I think) cross. There are also a few holes where you can't see the basket very well or at all from the tee, but there are signs and once you've played it once or twice…

The Scrapyard instantly became my favorite course in the Charlotte area at first playing, and I only like it more the more I play it. I highly recommend it to all who enjoy throwing plastic through the woods. It doesn't get much better.

Great Course, and that ain't no Scrap!

1    8/6/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: disc golfer
Pros: Finally for Matthews, a great newly carved out course. Mostly in the woods with very fair fairways. The two water holes #9 and #10 are sweet and not too hard to clear the water for an average player. There's a shorter tee for those who feel they cannot clear the water. This course is very well designed and is fun to play. The trees make it a fun but fair challenge and the course is a delight to walk and play through. All holes are average length (around 250' to 300') but a few play a bit longer. Great make shift tee signs and next tee signs help with navigating the course easily. Almost all of the holes play in the shade with the exception of the water holes....that's a great deal. The course is completely it's own entity and separated from the park
Cons: It seemed at first the holes looked and played the same, but honestly they all play differently. I cannot find too many cons for this course.
Other Thoughts: Some reviewers say there were no bathrooms, but I believe I saw a small building that looked like a bathroom near Hole 1 and 18, not sure though. Most holes can be played with a good mid range and possibly a putter. But that's not to say the course is easy. Not too difficult either, but a middle of the road fun course for all levels.

Scrappy but fun!

1    8/6/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: atl scott
This review was updated on 9/15/2011
Pros: Great new baskets
Necessitated a variety of shots at various lengths - very creative design!
Very woodsy feel (felt like I was miles from civilization)
Lots of shade!
Elevation used nicely
Restrooms near start/finish
Holds water well (rained like cats and dogs all day yesterday and the course wasn't soggy today)
Cons: No concrete teepads yet (the biggest negative IMO) and some of the dirt tees are sloped
EDIT: We are currently working on levelling the teepads and concrete pads are scheduled to be poured on Nov 5!!! Can't wait!
Some poison ivy is present around fairways, greens, and tees (although only in a few spots, those spots seemed thick)
Course not beaten in yet (stumps, etc)
No trash cans (beer cans everywhere)
Relatively small parking lot (might affect use during baseball games or disc golf tournaments)
Easy to pass the park when traveling southeast on Idlewild rd
No sign pointing to hole 1 (or baskets in plain view)
Other Thoughts: I just moved to Charlotte and this is the course that is closest to me so I had to get out and play it as soon as possible. After playing it for the first time I must say I am very satisfied with this course and glad to live near it!

The first thing I noticed when pulling in to the parking lot was a police officer patrolling the lot. Not sure if this means there is high crime activity but I was glad to see him there as my truck was the only vehicle parked. The officer was still in the lot when I finished my round.

Now to the course. As it is still being broken in most of the cons I listed will be taken care of in the proper time. Teepads, trash cans (I picked up at least 30 beer cans during my round. Good thing I have a dual pack!), foliage removal, etc will presumably not be an issue by the time worlds rolls around next year.

First things first, I really enjoyed this course! There wasn't a single hole that I stepped up to the tee and thought, this is a boring hole, or, I don't like this design.

The course is not that long but to score well you will need to hit gaps and putt well. Several times I felt like my sidearm was by far the best way to get to a pin. This makes me think the course might be considered lefty friendly but I'll have to play it a few more times and get a better feel for some of the multiple routes to be sure. I scored well on this course even though I was playing it blind. It would be easy to take a much higher score though if you get off the fairways as my recent rounds have shown.

It upped the fun factor that the holes required accuracy (and sometimes length) yet I only had to walk up the fairway to find the hole a couple of times. The signage was wonderful and it was easy to find my way around the course with no guide.

There were several holes that I thought were very unlike any others I've played before and that made me happy. It's always nice to stretch your shot-making skills with new challenges.

The par 4's were of a good enough length that they didn't feel like 3.5's, especially due to the woods its hard to grip it and rip it so a 3 feels like a good score on these holes.

Hole 8 (first of 2 water holes) seemed a bit boring and too easy for an advanced player. It would be hard to throw it in the water here unless you clip a tree or the wind is of hurricane proportions.

*edit: I talked with Rob Kelly and apparently the reason for this is that the level of the lake is way down from where it was when the water holes were designed. The holes were originally designed with more teeth! Hopefully the water level will be returned to it's original level soon.

EDIT #2: There is now a flagged area much closer to the pin that represents where the water used to be which creates a much tougher tee shot to get in bounds and get the birdie. Just getting across the low waterline isn't good enough anymore!

Hole 9 (2nd water hole) is much tougher on the mind. It's only 275 or so but the water is very much in play. My only 4 in my round was on this hole. Even though I put my drive inside the circle I had to straddle putt. I of course went for the duece (cause I'm confident and greedy like that) and completely whiffed the basket and due to the steep slope behind the basket I ended up 50 feet away! A great hole that will challenge any player!

Several other holes got my attention but I hate reviews that go hole by hole so I will leave those for you to enjoy on the course.

Essentially wooded courses and lots of scoring opportunities equals a fun time. The Scrapyard may need a little wearing in but it is a great design that many will enjoy for years to come.

Excited to see another course

1    6/6/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: tank.brooks
Pros: Nice fairways, Love the elevation changes,
its exciting to see some holes where water comes into play. easy to follow from hole to hole.
Cons: Since this is a course that is still in the works. i will ignore things like benches, signs and tee pads, those will come in time,

Other Thoughts: I always enjoy a new course, and this is a great one,
i do miss having some more open courses, where i can really let it rip, but courses like these force me to be accurate and consistant so thats a plus..

Go Give it a shot. its a great course.

Intermediate Dream

2-4    6/4/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: The water holes are nice, the first two rounds I threw on #9 I nearly aced. The third time, not being the charm, goodbye ZAvenger. Remember to check the wind when playing out of the woods across water.Even though this course is new it is a relief to see a respectable "short" wooded course on this side of town. Only two par fours so far, and a lot of left to right holes, so anhyzers are a must, unless quick short forehands are your forte. Most holes are covered with beautiful shade, so in the summer this will be a haven from the city's Hades like weather.
Cons: So far the cons are minimal for a course this fresh. My partner cursed all the stumps and holes that tripped him on about every hole. Walk heel to toe and look down is my advice. No tee pads as of yet, and I am sure some tee placements will be different in the future. I have shot well under par at this course, and considering i have only played it three times I would say it is somewhat easy even if you don't know the layout. So in other words, this is not a Renny or Nevin copy. It is a tighter Reedy, or Sugaw clone instead. Short and sweet, and a lot of fun ace runs await you here.
Other Thoughts: I will be playing this course at least twice a month because it teaches me simple shots I should already know but do not use as much playing Renny three-four times a week. It is easy to get too off I485, and has a ton of shade. It is brand new and gets busy, but that is the name of the game in Charlotte. Be courteous and let people play through and others will do the same for you. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I was playing Saturday and there was a loud hip-hop picnic of sorts going on, funny stuff. Instead of birds and nature sounds I got freestyle rhymes to play to, lucky me. Be friendly to the fisherman on the waterholes as well, they are good people and were there before us.

diamond in the rough

5+    5/22/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: newest course in Charlotte, we have become so spoiled in this part of the country with the additonal courses being built for worlds 2012. this course plays like reedy creek without the erosion, and reminds me a bit of nevin too. the two par 4 holes are nice, as well as the two water holes. there is a decent amount of elevation, and variety on just about every hole.the fairways are truely fair and require a specific line, to put you in position for birdies.
Cons: i wanted to wait a little while to review this one cause its just a baby... but as said before, it needs concrete pads, signs, and alot more wear and tear traffic. no trash cans or benches yet, but im sure they are coming soon
Other Thoughts: if youve played in charlotte before and want to see the newest and rawest course we have come check it out... it is looking better everytime i go out there. big props to Rob Kelly for well balanced design and for adding 2 great water holes we can brag about here in charlotte. RL SMITH is next...

What he said...

5+    3/25/2013   5/27/2011
Review By: Urban Bobcat
This review was updated on 4/30/2013
Pros: - Layout is great with some pretty challenging holes.
- True water holes!
- Course has signage to guide you through from basket to next tee easily
- Challenging and fun without frustration

Cons: - The course could benefit from a few more trash cans, although litter didn't seem to be much of a problem
- Drainage issues on #8, since it tosses over the pond. An elevated walkway would be nice here.
Other Thoughts: I'm updating this review since the course has now been worked in quite a bit more. Nice pads are in, as well as, well worked in trails. If I didnt' live on the north side of town, I would likely play this course quite a bit more. While Charlotte offers many wooded courses, this one is unique because of its water holes. There are certainly some other nice looking and challenging holes, but the pond is always the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Idlewild. If you're in south Charlotte, I would certainly recommend checking this course out because it's a bunch of fun. If you're not much of a power thrower, be sure to bring an extra disc for #9, because you may end up losing one.

The Scrappy Yard

5+    5/24/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 6/10/2011
Pros: [This review/rating will be constantly updated as improvements are made to this new course. My new home course, and will be there often.] UPDATED 6/10/11
Countless plans were turned in for the course at Idlewild Park over the years, constantly being turned down for some reason or another. Lets just say I am very thankful for that, as the final product will be one of Charlotte's best.

Equipment: Yellow DISCatchers w/ double layered chains and deeeeeeep trays. Current "tee signs" are the orange stakes marking the tee pad, with hole number, distance and layout. Tee pads are currently natural. There are a couple of trash cans in the vacinity of the course on the back 9, as well as a couple of benches just off the course. Makeshift benches located at a couple of holes for the time being.

Layout: Current plans have for an IDLE(short) and a WILD(long) layout. Baskets are stationary, one per hole w/ no alternate positions. Some holes currently have tee pad locations for both short and long. Some have yet to be cleared or staked out yet. Don't count on the exact locations of the tee boxes to stay put until pads are poured, I'm sure Stan the Man has a few tricks up his sleeve to add a bit more difficulty.

Setting: The course is one that is carved out of the woods. Fairways are fair, very much like Kilborne TPC and Reedy Creek DGC, and will become more defined as the course breaks in. Greens are fair, baskets aren't jammed within a clutter of trees. Elevation is used extremely well. Some uphill shots, some downhill shots, some "over-the-valley" shots. A lake/pond is in play on holes 8 and 9. Hole 8's water plays from 150'-250' from the long tee when water level is normal, Hole 9's water carries from the tee to 20' in front of the basket, with an option of playing around the water through a fairway, which still requires at least 120' of carry over the water. Water holes are the only "open" holes. Optional tee locations appear to be layed out for novice/rec players which will not involve water on both water carry holes. I advise bringing a throw-away disc if you aren't wanting to lose a good piece of plastic on #9(280', slight left turn to the green).

Difficulty: In comparison with other local courses, The Scrapyard is somewhere in between Kilborne and Sugaw Creek. The course will require you to hit your lines for any chance at shooting under par. Birdies are possible here, accurate 300' drives will tear up this course.The roughs are currently ROUGH, not thinned out as of yet, and host the occasional drag pile of trees and limbs. Traffic and cleanup will help, just a matter of time and helping hands.

Other Notes: Bathrooms located right at the start/end of the course. Parking is close(park in the close end of the right side parking lot, arrow up trail takes you to #1). Arrows to the next tee stand out, ribbons on trees line paths from basket to next tee, which will come in handy until the paths are beaten in. Course would be an easy one to play condensed rounds. Holes 1 and 10 are close to the parking lot, and other tee pads come close to each other, such as holes 3 and 13, 5 and 11.
Cons: My list of cons(which will also be updated as the problems are resolved)
-Poison Ivy is still spotty, but improving greatly. Almost good enough to not be a con
-Lack of tee signs(but will come when pads are set in stone).
-Holes and stumps everywhere, watch your step
-Parking is going to be a huge problem at peak hours, as park has two small parking lots to accomidate ballfields, playground and other normal park ammenities.
Other Thoughts: The Scrapyard at Idlewild Park is closely located to Kilborne TPC, Eastway Park, Sugaw Creek Park and Reedy Creek Park. It would be realistic to play all 5 without spending more than 45 minutes commuting between them.

The Scrapyard brings some unique characteristics, as well as some Charlotte-esque touches associated with other local courses. The fairways remind me of Kilborne, some of the lines off the tees remind me of Reedy Creek, the scenery reminds me of Nevin(but much more managable). This course will get its share of traffic, and may ease some of the traffic at Kilborne.

My current rating for the course is 3.5. Current conditions warrant a 3, with .5 for the potential in this newborn of a course. Some improvements that will make this a 4+ course would be the installation of concrete tee pads and benches and clippings/vegitation/branches are cleaned from the fairways. Some natural breaking in will occur with regular foot traffic. This very well could be the best course in its immediate area after a year or so, once hole transitions are obvious, fairways are beat down and some further thinning of trouble areas. If you cannot enjoy a course thats rough around the edges you may just want to wait a while. But if you want to check out one of the new gems, give it a go!

#9 is the signature hole for this beauty!

1    5/23/2011   5/24/2011
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 2/21/2012
Pros: This new course on the east side of the QC is a breath of fresh air. This addition to Charlottes lineup is sure to deliver a great round of golf by yourself or with a few buddies if you so choose.

Baskets - Brand new Innova double-chained DISCatcher Pro baskets to soak up them long putts or that occasional ace drive if you gots tha skills.

Variety - Great mix of left and right doglegs as well as the elevation being used on shorter holes. The water-carry holes are what has been missing from Charlotte area courses for a long time. There is no repetition/repetitive holes on this course: They ALL have their own unique flavor.

Fairways - The fairways are fair for pretty much even a beginning player. It's almost like this course was put in the ground with the fairways being basically "pre beat-in" if you know what I'm saying. It's not like your throwing and then praying that your drive doesnt hit numerous trees that block good lines and punish you for good throws (*ahem... cough, cough... i.e. Squirrel Lake?... Nevin perhaps?).

Elevation - I gotta say that the elevation that is in this park was utilized in the best way possible on every hole.

Next tee arrows - These orange little arrows keep you from taking the wrong path and getting lost in this park on numerous nature trails that run through it.

Restrooms - They were'nt the cleanest but the course begins and ends right next to them which can be a good thing if needed.
Cons: The teepads are still natural for right now, and there are still numerous stumps that havnt been shaved down yet, as well as a good amount of poison ivy out there (but resident groundskeeper Mark Huether was out there puttin' in work and kickin' that poison ivy's @$$! You go Mark!).

No benches yet but that will come with time. Of course, I dont even have to mention that there are no tee-signs, but all that is needed to see a blind basket is to walk up the fairway a bit on almost all of the holes.

The water shots on #'s 8 & 9 can be intimidating for newer players who want to play this course. I would advise skipping those two holes if your "noob" friend(s) dont want to lose their "starter-pack plastic" in the drink. Just a suggestion.
Other Thoughts: I simply had to spout out my love for hole #9. What a challenge that hole is (for me at least). I cant believe I birdied that hole and didnt end up in the lake (from comin' up too short) or over-throwing it and landing down the hill past the basket, and then possibly missing a putt and making it back in the lake! YIKES!

Mind you now, the teepads are still natural as of right now but once the tees get poured and the fairways get lots of play this course will beat in just nicely to a moderately hard "tweener" if you will: It's like a mix of the length of Sugaw, the open fairways of Kilborne, and the woodsyness of Reedy Creek combined. It reminds me of a mix of all 3 but that's just my opinion.

Overall? I really want to give this course a 3.5 but a 3 will have to suffice as of now. I really liked this course and was impressed at how well it's laid out for being so new. I will definitely be on my way back down to play it again.

***GREAT JOB CDGC!!!... You delivered once again. And a quick shout out to all the volunteers that do their part to help make this the greatest disc golf city by far!***

New Favorite

1    5/10/2011   5/10/2011
Review By: markmaxen
Pros: This is my new favorite course in clt.The two water hazzard holes are a breath of fresh air. Number 9 is the definition of a risk/reward shot. Iloved the design of this course. There were left turning and right turning shots, ace runs and elevation changes.
Cons: poison ivey. no tee pads yet. slipped a few times while driving
Other Thoughts: can't wait til the tee pads are put in.