Matthews, NC
The Scrapyard Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #18 (Taken 5/2011)

What a blast!

1    3/8/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: chefjeff315
Pros: Lots of varying length holes.
Even for beginners there's some ace opportunities, esp. #8.
Benches are really appreciated.
Teepads are excellent.
Rough isn't overgrown, very open making it easy to find errant or ricocheted discs.
Trash cans and bags are everywhere.
Very well separated from the park and secluded, you are really out in the woods and not distracted.
Yellow topped Discatchers easy to see, but this will probably change a bit when everything leafs out soon.
Cons: Signs pointing to next tees were good when they were available.
Tee signs with directions soon to come I'm sure. For now the small orange marked posts at each tee suffice.
Other Thoughts: Too bad we have such inconsiderate, lazy people on this course. Empty cig packs and paper bagged empty 40's not even 3 feet from a trash receptacle.
As a beginner I was a bit intimidated when I read about, then started playing, this course. That was wrong. yes, it is challenging, but it is very forgiving for beginners in a lot of ways. It is also very difficult in spots as well which makes it interesting and fun.I almost aced #8 across the water with a Leopard thrown high and to the right which faded and dropped 10 feet from the pin on the opposite bank....what a rush that was! Then on to #9 and OMG! The pin is across the water, about 2 feet down the far side of an 8 foot wide berm. If you miss long, you're down a hill and faced with an uphill putt. There is an alternate teepad that allows you to try it and miss the water by throwing along the back side of the berm.
Hole # 7 is 500 feet long, the longest I have ever played. Most are in the upper 200's, with a couple under 200.
We really enjoyed this course and are planning to visit it frequently.

Scrapyard Schmapyard

1    2/16/2012   3/2/2012
This review was updated on 3/4/2012
Pros: 1) Practice basket is available on the way into the course and about 75-100' away from the #1 tee.

2) There is a tremendous amount of distance variation on this course with holes in the 100', 200', 300', 400' and even up to 500' range. This forces all sorts of different discs to be used and different techniques. I love this variety as a key design element.

3) Benches are available in many spots on the course which is always a plus especially during tourneys and hot NC summers.

4) Perfect course for Yellow banded Discatchers. They are easy to see and work the best on these tight wooded courses.

5) Water comes into play on a couple holes and while there are places to bail out, you want to try and bite all of the water off to give yourself a putt otherwise if you bail out big time one way to be safe you may have a tough upshot. This is truly risk/reward and in all honesty I would not have expected to come out and have those two water shots. It doesn't feel like you are approaching a pond at all, but then all of a sudden you get up to your next tee and you have a water carry.

6) This section of woods is pretty cool. There is some undulating hills, very mature hardwoods, and overall the peripheral areas do not have a lot of underbrush. You want to stay on the fairway sure, but you won't often be punished by downed limbs or thick or thorny underbrush and that is much appreciated from a throwing standpoint but it also makes the course look just that much cooler.

7) The basket location on #9 (the second water shot) is extreme and I like it. Basically you can try to land on the bank of the pond short of the basket but risk rolling into the water, or you can try to overshoot the basket and end up down a big hill putting uphill where high putt might end up in the water. I say go for the ace-run and hope you make your uphill birdie putt and you will pass the field! Great great hole.

8) The leaves from the recent fall have created a nice cover for what would otherwise be bare soil. There is almost no turf to speak of on this course except maybe around the pond in a few areas. This keeps the mud down to a minmum and keeps your feet clean and helps avoid slippage.

9) There was one spot where my early round afforded me something you wouldn't always get to see . . . 5 deer including 2 bucks went scattering when I walked up a fairway one time. I love that about disc golf when you can really get to experience the natural surroundings and the animals that live on our courses.

10) There were a lot of little trippers on the fairways but they painted many of them. I assume this is preparation for having them ground out and also to help prevent us from tripping on them.

11) Hole #15 is also a great hole . . . only 180' long but through approximately a 6' tunnel. I threw my Mako and came up just short of an acerun which I couldn't even cash in on the 25' birdie putt. A great hole nonetheless and I am happy I didn't hit one of the early trees.

12) Excellent variety in shot shaping required here, not only in the direction of the hole but also in what you want to throw. This variety keeps you thinking constantly.

13) Concrete is better than any other tee surface (but see also cons).

14) I would say this course is moderately friendly to beginners because of the openness of the woods if you get off the fairway, but also because of the relatively shorter distance. They also have separate tees which helps greatly in making a course accessible to beginners.

15) The same little small posts with Hole # and distance on them along with the hole #. It helps with navigation to know you are on the right tee.

16) Bathroom and water is available right at the first tee and near the practice basket.

17) The course is completely removed from any other activity in the park (except that walking path) so you will not have distractions taking you away from the "other world" type feeling while throwing plastic at metal cages.

18) Directionals helped in a couple of spots where the layout may not be 100% intuitive.
Cons: 1) There is a path that goes through the course which is in view of some holes and in play in a few spots. This is good for exposure but bad for the conflict it can sometimes create.

2) There were a couple of lower wet spots on this course which I am sure could be handled with a little bit of draintile. They were not terrible but it was something I noticed couple of times. Eventually I assume these will be taken care of.

3) The teepads were just a bit small for my liking and I am a short guy so others will really not like them.

4) The overall feel of the holes gets
a little repetitive because they are all through the dense woods except for #8 and 9 over the water. The shots may be different but the feel and look of the holes isn't diverse. Not a bid negative, because I love wooded courses, but it is always nice to shake things up a bit, but this park looks like it doesn't have any turfed areas or slightly less dense woods to be had.

5) No teesigns quite yet . . . I will not take off points on my rating because this course was still so new, and I am sure they will end up in the ground in short order with Worlds coming up this summer.

6) No garbage cans yet . . . it looks like the locals were bagging up some garbage and leaving the bags around the course . . . I think I saw the same thing at Winget so maybe they have a way to go in and around the park and pick up those garbage bags more easily than carrying them the whole round.

7) The holes seem to favor a flick or a rh anhyzer shot. I love these shots more than anything so I enjoyed it but many other will not.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course . . . I am giving it a 4.0 even though it currently is about a 3.5 for me. I know the tee signs will be finished and the rest of the amenities will also be completed in time for worlds so I do not want to "punish" this course by lowering my rating for what I know will be done very shortly. The design on this property was awesome and the property itself was beautiful. It truly feels like you are in the middle of nowhere throwing plastic around because there is no way for noise to work its way into the woods. I would also say there are no interactions with neighborhoods, RV parks, or anything civilization has to offer so it feels even more like you are out in the woods in the middle of nowhere instead of an extremely large metropolitan area. I love it and I will be back..

1    12/28/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: jksenior
Pros: The course design was very good. the holes were generally fair, fun and an equal number of righty and lefty holes.

This is a course that was not too difficult, but there were not any real gimme deuces. The one hole that was very short, was also very, very tight - think 5-6 foot gap to throw through.

The water holes were very fair (even though my disc hit the bank on 10 and rolled into the pond). They were challeging but quite birdie-able.

The course seemed pretty well "beaten in" for a new course. New courses are often quite brutal if you miss a line and go off fairway. There wasn't a lot of scrub off of the fairways, so there was an opportunity to get back into play. Kudos to the developers if this brush was cleared.

Navigation was easy with directional signs to the next tee. Tee signs were small and basic, but were there.
Cons: The biggest con for me was the teepads. While I appreciate the fact that concrete pads were recently installed, the pads were way too small and were often slightly above the level of the surrounding ground. This made it very difficult to make a run up on most of the holes.

No major cons regarding the holes themselves. Maybe an additional tough par 4 would add to the course, but there are plenty of those in Charlotte.

Other Thoughts: The majority of the holes were of similar length (250-300). This may seem like it would get repetitive, but it didn't seem like I threw the same discs over and over.

The park was in a nice section of town, so no issues there compared to some of the Charlotte "hood" courses.

I thnk this course sets up well for players of all abilities. Pros will undoubtedly shoot in the mid to upper 40's; and good players should be able to break par easily. Beginners will enjoy as well since the majority of the holes should be reachable.

Overall a pleasant experience and a good addition to charlotte's courses.

Instant Favorite

5+    11/21/2013   9/15/2011
Review By: bikinjack
This review was updated on 11/22/2013
Pros: The layout and design is terrific. It's North Carolina woods golf at it's finest. This course instantly became my favorite Charlotte course because of its beautiful forest, terrain, and design that utilizes those and challenges my disc golf game just the right way. It's not super hard, nor a beat down in the way of a course like Nevin or Renny, but it challenges my game a bit more than courses like Reedy Creek or Sugaw.

The two water holes, #8 and #9, are a big pro for me. It's something that's been lacking on a course around here, and refreshing to see. There are also a couple of tricky greens where an overly aggressive missed putt can cost you strokes, which are plentiful in this area.

The tees are natural for now, and I know this will be changing soon, and the tee signs are fairly basic, both of which are more than adequate for me.

The Scrayard is in my opinion by far the best looking of all the courses in Charlotte. There are lots of big healthy trees on and around the course, and the underbrush, while there, isn't so thick and dense that it takes away from the look and health of the forest. That underbrush also allows for recovery on errant shots while still punishing them fairly.
Cons: There is a little bit of repetition in the lengths of the holes, as well as hole shapes, but the lengths suit my game well. Big sweeping right turning holes are in a little more abundance here than any other course I've played, but I like making those throws too. Others may not like them so much, so to each their own.
Other Thoughts: There is a restroom and water fountain right by where hole 1 starts and hole 18 finishes. The course doesn't loop back by the parking area until you're done, so get your water when you start, and between rounds.

The nearest store is a couple of miles down the road, so you can load up on refreshments there.

There are ball fields and a pretty nice looking playground at the park, neither of which come into play on the course.

Navigation is pretty straight forward, as there is plenty of signage and a little flagging tape to point you in the right direction. The biggest source of possible confusion would be where two paths between holes (#5 & 11, I think) cross. There are also a few holes where you can't see the basket very well or at all from the tee, but there are signs and once you've played it once or twice...

The Scrapyard instantly became my favorite course in the Charlotte area at first playing, and I only like it more the more I play it. I highly recommend it to all who enjoy throwing plastic through the woods. It doesn't get much better.

Great Course, and that ain't no Scrap!

1    8/6/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: disc golfer
Pros: Finally for Matthews, a great newly carved out course. Mostly in the woods with very fair fairways. The two water holes #9 and #10 are sweet and not too hard to clear the water for an average player. There's a shorter tee for those who feel they cannot clear the water. This course is very well designed and is fun to play. The trees make it a fun but fair challenge and the course is a delight to walk and play through. All holes are average length (around 250' to 300') but a few play a bit longer. Great make shift tee signs and next tee signs help with navigating the course easily. Almost all of the holes play in the shade with the exception of the water holes....that's a great deal. The course is completely it's own entity and separated from the park
Cons: It seemed at first the holes looked and played the same, but honestly they all play differently. I cannot find too many cons for this course.
Other Thoughts: Some reviewers say there were no bathrooms, but I believe I saw a small building that looked like a bathroom near Hole 1 and 18, not sure though. Most holes can be played with a good mid range and possibly a putter. But that's not to say the course is easy. Not too difficult either, but a middle of the road fun course for all levels.

Scrappy but fun!

1    8/6/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: atl scott
This review was updated on 9/15/2011
Pros: Great new baskets
Necessitated a variety of shots at various lengths - very creative design!
Very woodsy feel (felt like I was miles from civilization)
Lots of shade!
Elevation used nicely
Restrooms near start/finish
Holds water well (rained like cats and dogs all day yesterday and the course wasn't soggy today)
Cons: No concrete teepads yet (the biggest negative IMO) and some of the dirt tees are sloped
EDIT: We are currently working on levelling the teepads and concrete pads are scheduled to be poured on Nov 5!!! Can't wait!
Some poison ivy is present around fairways, greens, and tees (although only in a few spots, those spots seemed thick)
Course not beaten in yet (stumps, etc)
No trash cans (beer cans everywhere)
Relatively small parking lot (might affect use during baseball games or disc golf tournaments)
Easy to pass the park when traveling southeast on Idlewild rd
No sign pointing to hole 1 (or baskets in plain view)
Other Thoughts: I just moved to Charlotte and this is the course that is closest to me so I had to get out and play it as soon as possible. After playing it for the first time I must say I am very satisfied with this course and glad to live near it!

The first thing I noticed when pulling in to the parking lot was a police officer patrolling the lot. Not sure if this means there is high crime activity but I was glad to see him there as my truck was the only vehicle parked. The officer was still in the lot when I finished my round.

Now to the course. As it is still being broken in most of the cons I listed will be taken care of in the proper time. Teepads, trash cans (I picked up at least 30 beer cans during my round. Good thing I have a dual pack!), foliage removal, etc will presumably not be an issue by the time worlds rolls around next year.

First things first, I really enjoyed this course! There wasn't a single hole that I stepped up to the tee and thought, this is a boring hole, or, I don't like this design.

The course is not that long but to score well you will need to hit gaps and putt well. Several times I felt like my sidearm was by far the best way to get to a pin. This makes me think the course might be considered lefty friendly but I'll have to play it a few more times and get a better feel for some of the multiple routes to be sure. I scored well on this course even though I was playing it blind. It would be easy to take a much higher score though if you get off the fairways as my recent rounds have shown.

It upped the fun factor that the holes required accuracy (and sometimes length) yet I only had to walk up the fairway to find the hole a couple of times. The signage was wonderful and it was easy to find my way around the course with no guide.

There were several holes that I thought were very unlike any others I've played before and that made me happy. It's always nice to stretch your shot-making skills with new challenges.

The par 4's were of a good enough length that they didn't feel like 3.5's, especially due to the woods its hard to grip it and rip it so a 3 feels like a good score on these holes.

Hole 8 (first of 2 water holes) seemed a bit boring and too easy for an advanced player. It would be hard to throw it in the water here unless you clip a tree or the wind is of hurricane proportions.

*edit: I talked with Rob Kelly and apparently the reason for this is that the level of the lake is way down from where it was when the water holes were designed. The holes were originally designed with more teeth! Hopefully the water level will be returned to it's original level soon.

EDIT #2: There is now a flagged area much closer to the pin that represents where the water used to be which creates a much tougher tee shot to get in bounds and get the birdie. Just getting across the low waterline isn't good enough anymore!

Hole 9 (2nd water hole) is much tougher on the mind. It's only 275 or so but the water is very much in play. My only 4 in my round was on this hole. Even though I put my drive inside the circle I had to straddle putt. I of course went for the duece (cause I'm confident and greedy like that) and completely whiffed the basket and due to the steep slope behind the basket I ended up 50 feet away! A great hole that will challenge any player!

Several other holes got my attention but I hate reviews that go hole by hole so I will leave those for you to enjoy on the course.

Essentially wooded courses and lots of scoring opportunities equals a fun time. The Scrapyard may need a little wearing in but it is a great design that many will enjoy for years to come.

Excited to see another course

1    6/6/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: tank.brooks
Pros: Nice fairways, Love the elevation changes,
its exciting to see some holes where water comes into play. easy to follow from hole to hole.
Cons: Since this is a course that is still in the works. i will ignore things like benches, signs and tee pads, those will come in time,

Other Thoughts: I always enjoy a new course, and this is a great one,
i do miss having some more open courses, where i can really let it rip, but courses like these force me to be accurate and consistant so thats a plus..

Go Give it a shot. its a great course.

Intermediate Dream

2-4    6/4/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: The water holes are nice, the first two rounds I threw on #9 I nearly aced. The third time, not being the charm, goodbye ZAvenger. Remember to check the wind when playing out of the woods across water.Even though this course is new it is a relief to see a respectable "short" wooded course on this side of town. Only two par fours so far, and a lot of left to right holes, so anhyzers are a must, unless quick short forehands are your forte. Most holes are covered with beautiful shade, so in the summer this will be a haven from the city's Hades like weather.
Cons: So far the cons are minimal for a course this fresh. My partner cursed all the stumps and holes that tripped him on about every hole. Walk heel to toe and look down is my advice. No tee pads as of yet, and I am sure some tee placements will be different in the future. I have shot well under par at this course, and considering i have only played it three times I would say it is somewhat easy even if you don't know the layout. So in other words, this is not a Renny or Nevin copy. It is a tighter Reedy, or Sugaw clone instead. Short and sweet, and a lot of fun ace runs await you here.
Other Thoughts: I will be playing this course at least twice a month because it teaches me simple shots I should already know but do not use as much playing Renny three-four times a week. It is easy to get too off I485, and has a ton of shade. It is brand new and gets busy, but that is the name of the game in Charlotte. Be courteous and let people play through and others will do the same for you. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I was playing Saturday and there was a loud hip-hop picnic of sorts going on, funny stuff. Instead of birds and nature sounds I got freestyle rhymes to play to, lucky me. Be friendly to the fisherman on the waterholes as well, they are good people and were there before us.

diamond in the rough

5+    5/22/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: newest course in Charlotte, we have become so spoiled in this part of the country with the additonal courses being built for worlds 2012. this course plays like reedy creek without the erosion, and reminds me a bit of nevin too. the two par 4 holes are nice, as well as the two water holes. there is a decent amount of elevation, and variety on just about every hole.the fairways are truely fair and require a specific line, to put you in position for birdies.
Cons: i wanted to wait a little while to review this one cause its just a baby... but as said before, it needs concrete pads, signs, and alot more wear and tear traffic. no trash cans or benches yet, but im sure they are coming soon
Other Thoughts: if youve played in charlotte before and want to see the newest and rawest course we have come check it out... it is looking better everytime i go out there. big props to Rob Kelly for well balanced design and for adding 2 great water holes we can brag about here in charlotte. RL SMITH is next...

What he said...

5+    3/25/2013   5/27/2011
Review By: Urban Bobcat
This review was updated on 4/30/2013
Pros: - Layout is great with some pretty challenging holes.
- True water holes!
- Course has signage to guide you through from basket to next tee easily
- Challenging and fun without frustration

Cons: - The course could benefit from a few more trash cans, although litter didn't seem to be much of a problem
- Drainage issues on #8, since it tosses over the pond. An elevated walkway would be nice here.
Other Thoughts: I'm updating this review since the course has now been worked in quite a bit more. Nice pads are in, as well as, well worked in trails. If I didnt' live on the north side of town, I would likely play this course quite a bit more. While Charlotte offers many wooded courses, this one is unique because of its water holes. There are certainly some other nice looking and challenging holes, but the pond is always the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions Idlewild. If you're in south Charlotte, I would certainly recommend checking this course out because it's a bunch of fun. If you're not much of a power thrower, be sure to bring an extra disc for #9, because you may end up losing one.