Pilot Mountain, NC
Armfield Civic Center Share
Uploaded By: 22dude Hole #5 (Taken 5/2014)

1    5/29/2016   5/29/2016
Review By: taylorschiess
Pros: This was both a fun and also a fairly challenging course. Had a good mix of distances, elevation changes, and the par 5 on the back 9 was pretty sweet.
Cons: Though the fairways are well cleared, the rough is often tall grass or pretty thick woods so it can be difficult to find your disc after an errant throw.
Other Thoughts: This course reminded me a lot of UNC's course!

1    5/21/2016   5/22/2016
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Very scenic and natural course that is a much improved redesign from what I hear. This course is a bit of a mixed bag but overall it's definitely worth a visit.

You can tell they're trying hard. Tee signs are great and navigation isn't a problem is if you study the tee sign a little and behoove the little arrows on the baskets. Hole 1 is flush with amenities: Bag hanger, scorecard holder, bench, nicely maintained tee. After that it gets au naturale really quick.

Outdoorsmen will enjoy rounds here as the course undulates along a variety of terrain and elevation. Up and down along creeks and hills, all the while surrounded by lush vegetation. Nature doesn't suck (at least when it's pretty to look at it doesn't).

The golf is solid and occasionally spectacular. None of the holes suck outright, although a couple are certainly nothing to write home about. The best feature of the design is that elevation is used well and there's a terrific mix of wooded and open, short and long. Downhill holes are always fun and there are plenty. Uphill holes (especially steep and/or long ones) are almost never fun and thankfully you don't run into those much here. Overall the course flows well and intuitively with some minor confusion due to intertwining trails (more on that later) but heed the signs and you're good.

I played the Blue tees as they existed and I'm a sucker for playing tees that exist. They're gravel over rubber hexagon mats and they're easy to find. The flat ones worked great. The Golds and to lesser extent the Whites seemed to be afterthoughts, as if the course was designed around the Blues first, fairly common. The Blues are a good round though and seem to call upon many tools of my bag, sometimes unconventionally so (a flippy midrange for a 744' long hole!? Inconceivable!).
Cons: Biggest determining factor for disc selection? Visibility. The rough is rough. Like "Smokey and the Bandit 3" rough. That's the one where Snowman plays the Bandit b/c Burt Reynolds was like "I'm too good for this movie." Every exit from the fairway turns into an Easter egg hunt with our friends the briers and poison ivy. Then there are those picturesque, serene creeks running in numerous directions; they're always keen on acquiring more plastic.

There are a lot of holes where you really want to let'er rip but feel restrained to thanks to a variety of factors, like the aforementioned jungles of Nam bordering many fairways. Even the Blue tees are more often than not rutted out badly and making footing treacherous. Some tees were completely filled with water (to be fair, we've had A LOT of rain lately). The tees are super wide except they're mostly gravel with the actual rubber mat being much narrower. Can be quite awkward if the tees aren't level.

Huge RHBH bias. I hate those miserable left-handed SOB's like the good Lord intended but this course has to be rough on them. If a hole isn't straight it's a hyzer with the exception of some doglegs (which I don't count as lefty friendly since they're generally just 2 straight holes combined). Hole 13 is probably the lefty friendliest dogleg and a super solid hole. Other than that, hole 4 is basically the only feather a southpaw will have in his cap here.

I'm a big safety guy so here's my obligatory "Oh noes, fairways and walking paths/trails too close to each other" rant. As mentioned in other reviews, there are some sharing of real estate on a handful of holes. Best I can tell, these trails aren't being used much and 99% of the time the frolf and hiking community will coexist peacefully. Would be better to avoid this if possible but I think it's alright.

I'm not a fan of hole 16, it's a crazy short and luck rewarding and easy to throw into a creek. It gets the course's "Filler hole" award. Hole 7 would've but it has cool boulders on the tee! I got a thing for rocks, don't judge.

The baskets are not, how you say, championship caliber. They do function but they are a bit shoddy. The chains are really light (thank God someone added another set, these must've been bounce-out city before) and the tops are usually sitting at rakish angles. Some of the trays look like they've worked over by a heavyweight (maybe the longhorn steer I saw by hole 14 got loose and decided to bang the chains?). They look like crap but I'd vote for them as President before Hillary or Trump; at least I know they work somewhat.

The mobility impaired may want to play elsewhere, especially if there's been rain recently. There are some nice steps cut into the really steep sections but there are plenty more walks where I was sweating an ass busting.
Other Thoughts: Rating explanation: I'm a self-admitted tee snob. This course is a bit rough but it's still oodles of fun, even in an adventure golf kind of way. You can't hate on the variety of fairways (unless you're a lefty) and it sure is purdy up this way. But the tees are still janky and the rough is, you know. It's a reasonable course that can grow easily into the "good" category but 4 disc ratings? C'mon guys.

Still though it's definitely worth a visit. It reminds me of a sort of hybrid of Highland Hills, Rockness and UNC. All of those are fun and this one is too.

Hole 15 is superb (as is the tee, hint, hint). Get over the "must throw a driver on a long hole" mindset and float your flippy slow plastic down that bad boy, it's fun. I like the doglegs; they're pulled off well I think. Hole 8's par might be generous and could be more deserving if the 2nd leg was longer. Hole 9 is neat but gonna take some routine limbing to preserve the gap. 18's not the greatest finishing hole and kind of bottle necks hard at the green but eh.

Beer pairing: Foothills Brewing Co.'s Pilot Mountain Pale Ale. The crisp, hoppy flavor really invigorates the round and keeps you bounding along. Also a great beer to cry into after you've spent considerable time searching in the brush for your disc, ha ha.

I Wish It Were Closer To Home

1    4/10/2016   4/11/2016
Review By: BuzzSharpe
This review was updated on 5/22/2016
Pros: As one of the state's newest courses, I just played this gem in conjunction with playing the nearby oldest course in the state. Most every recently built course I've played raises the thought, at least once along the way, that "This coulda/shoulda been done differently." Such is not the case with BIG ARMfield, which does indeed call for a big arm, if you're playing the Golds, or even the Blues. But the White layout is very conducive to enjoyable, challenging play for recreational and intermediate level discers. If you're careful and thoughtful about disc and shot selection, you should do well, as I feel that I did with a four under round. If you mess up, you might double, or even quadruple bogey, as my playing partner and I did on #4. This course is an eighteen hole joyous journey through fields and forests, offering expansive green grass meadows and well defined fairways through the trees. Par 5 #15, running along a wide utility run through the woods, with its beautifully landscaped brick Gold/Blue tee is perhaps the best and most beautiful hole I've ever thrown. If I could putt with any consistency, I would've eagled the hole. Hell, I almost got an albatross with a near perfect fairway drive.
Benches, trash cans, picnic tables, some of which are in little shelters are scattered throughout the course, along with the occasional pet poop station. There's even a little grill located beside one of the back nine holes. Not sure if those little shelters were placed for the course, or for general usage, but we imagined that they would be very appreciated if you were caught in a sudden rain storm.
Overall, I would rate the overall design of Armfield at 4.5, as no design is perfect. I'll spot it an additional half point for the aforementioned amenities, including its very good signage, scenery and maintenance.
Cons: Natural tees marked by white painted rocks. However, we understand that this issue is about to be addressed with a fund raising tournament and by a dedicated, hard working local players' association. Short, downhill #7, where White, Blue and Gold share the same tee spot is probably the most glaring example. Though some previous reviewers cited the proximity to walking trails as a con, we did see some trail walkers, but did not perceive it as a real problem.
For the present state of tee existence, or non-existence, I must subtract a couple of points.
Other Thoughts: Though Armfiled is a bit out of the way in a wild and wonderful wilderness, it is worth the trip and an additional half point. We will be returning.

Empty your bag of shots here!

5+    2/27/2016   3/2/2016
Review By: Jason W.-SCDG
Pros: This course has a wide variety of holes in which will require players of all skill levels to really test their game. There are easy, normal and long tee positions on most holes with good solid tee boxes built for the normal tee positions and some easy tee positions as well. Word is that eventually the course will have permanent tee pads for all positins on all holes. There are many good voulenteers that have worked hard to improve the quality of the coirse and the overall disc golfing experience that we all love!
There are many elevation changes throughout the course as it was built in low land with beautiful creeks on many holes and plenty of shade trees along the entire course. Every hole has it's own unique challenge and anyone who plays Big Armfield will find a new favorite hole somewhere out there. Every tee has adequate signage to indicate direction distance and elevation. Many holes now have seating for resting between holes. Another great thing about the course is that hole #1 starts at the parking lot and hole
#18 ends merely 300ft away.
Cons: There are walking trails that share space with the course.
Watch out for walkers and loose dogs.
After a good rain you may want to wait a day to let the course dry up as some areas may be soggy and some tee boxes hold water.
Some areas in the rough have thick underbrush and briars.

5+    2/27/2016   3/2/2016
Review By: Old man
Pros: Very nice layout. Good mix of wooded and open holes
Cons: Still needs some cleaning out of the fairways on several holes.Course is mixed in with walking trail.
Other Thoughts: New course layout that is less than a year old. Will be a very nice place to play after some more minor work to some of the fairways.

The closest course to my house and I love it

5+    2/27/2016   3/1/2016
Review By: Mtnfc3s
Pros: Very challenging course with a mix of open shots and woods. Lots of great elevation changes and technical throws. Hole 1 is a great tester, number two has a great straight line for a beautiful hyzer bomb.
Cons: It is still a new design course so there are some tight holes due to regulations on growth by the creek. Not a problem if you have control. Be cautious on number four, number three, and number eight for joggers.
Other Thoughts: Keep coming to this course it gets better every week.

A Great Course. Very Underrated.

1    2/27/2016   2/29/2016
Review By: mcleanclan
Pros: The course is a great mix of shots. From long bombs to open up and rip it (5, for example), to shorter downhill hyzers that beg to be aced (2, is a great hole), I enjoyed this course a lot.

Playing it blindly, I don't know that I'd have found all the tees if not with a group of guys who'd played it prior, but there were ample directional signs. I may have only gotten lost a couple times. Played many courses in the blind and have wondered aimlessly on many holes. They've done a great job with directional arrows and signs, here.

From hole 1, you're looking at a nice downhill toss with a mid, you can sail into the trees beyond (I know from experience), so disc selection is key. 2 is a great hole. 3 gives a couple different routes. I chose the left. I love holes with options. 4 is a tough one if you don't have a great flick. I made my par with a pitiful excuse of a flick, but birdie would be tough for me. 5 is a long blast of a hole. Creek/river is deep and wide on left. Somewhat protected by the trees, but a few discs were lost in the water on the day I played (luckily my rollers always finish right).

6 is one of those holes I see a LOT of folks bitchin' and whinin' about. I loved it. A super tight line that finishes left. A righty's dream, but it was a long approach par for me after hitting one of the MANY trees along the way. 7 has the worst "tee box" I have EVER seen. Shared tee for all players - never a good thing. And there's a bolder in front with a large rock protruding out of the middle of the natural 4' x 4' throwing area. Can anyone say, "SLEDGE HAMMER and SAFETY GLASSES"!?

8 is an awesome dogleg. Loved this hole. Yet again, many folks complain about this one, I'm sure. It's a hole that takes skill to play. Miss and miss out. Hit your mark and do well. I was happy with a par (4). 9 is a tough little uphill gem. Not my favorite hole - mainly because I didn't make my birdie from 30' out. I love disc golf, so any hole/course is a good hole/course. Complainers are going to complain. Positive people are going to be positive.

Anyway, that's my front nine. No bitchin' so far. 10 is a rather simple hole, but takes keeping out of the trees and tossing long. I didn't. I hardly ever do both. Short and centered. Long and wooded. I bogied here again. SMH.

11 was a rather big toss for me and even after rolling, I still had 100' to go. Parked it. Banged dead center chains and straight out goes my putter!! Here comes the BITCHING! Oh. Wait. I'll save that for the Cons area. :)

12 great drive for me. 35' beyond the basket. Beyond great, I guess. Anyway, I leaned out, made my composed putt and BAM!! Dead center chains around a tree! Birdie!! NO!!! It splashed and came RIGHT BACK AT ME!! I blew my lid... made myself look like an idiot and ate crow for a while. No cons yet...

13 A tough hole. Tight fairway. Difficult angles. Happy with par. This is what disc golf should be. Not a ton of wide open fairways where you sling like a machine with no thought to where it goes beyond LONG... 14 is an interesting hole. I don't think I'd want to camp in the fairway, but maybe it's a seasonal campground that's rarely used - like Rolling Pines.

15. I am still not whining or complaining, so I'll just say this hole is not very nice. Someone doesn't want many friends when they design holes like this. I LOVE IT!! Great hole. One of the longest I've played and yet, I hated every shot I made and came out with ONLY a double bogey. Not too bad. 16 is an obvious filler hole, but I still enjoyed it. Not parked, but still an easy birdie (missed). Downhill and almost the feel of an island with the creek running in front. This, too, is disc golf folks. Enjoy your surroundings, your fellowship with nature and the friends along on the hike with you.

17 if this dogleg belonged to a real dog, he'd be three legged after I got done driving. I slashed right through his knee and cleared the creek. Bogey after landing in the creek way short on my second and missing from there. But, yet again, all holes may play very similar if you play them all from the fairway, so I view my method of play as a "touring disc golf venture". I see SO MANY areas of the course that nobody else gets to enjoy, because my shots so often go so far from where they were intended. :)

18, the finish to a great round: the right side was scary. The left, not so much. I must have subconsciously realized this because I went about 80' left of basket about pin high. DEEP in the woods. Clean toss out to 4' and BAM goes the par. Both players on my card went right on their second shots. They ended up with bogies.

Ample parking. Overflow not a long walk away, when/if needed.
Cons: These baskets = using a straw on a donkey (translate that). The day after my round here, they put in an inner ring of chains on EVERY basket (all 18)!! So, I hope that helps. I lob putt. I don't putt with force. I have NEVER had spitouts prior. At least no more than 1 in a 6 month period (of those hitting dead center - horizontally and vertically). I used a YEAR'S WORTH of spitouts in TWO HOLES here!

The walking trails as fairways have been mentioned. We played here for 4 hours (warmup and event) and saw TWO walkers. If you want to complain about walkers, then you might want to mention seeing some. I didn't. Bitch much!? Yes, the trails are there. So, it's unnerving to have to look ahead on most every shot, but don't you do that ANYWAY? I can't downgrade that much for the trails. If they were heavily used, maybe, but I don't see that as the case.

People in general. They are always a con. Life happens. Accept the good and forget the bad. Enjoy it all. Love, live and toss plastic (or in my case rubber) in the woods. Suck it up and realize that people suck and you'll smile more often and resent others less/never!
Other Thoughts: So, is this the best course in the world? No. Is it my favorite ever? No. Is it the worst I have EVER played? Far from it.

It's a great course. Any course is a good course. Even the worst course in the world is better than the one I have in my back yard (all par 2's and simply for shortgame practice)... So, I don't judge anyone's work, effort, time and dedication to build, install and upkeep a disc golf course as negative. Those that do are those folks you should ignore and tell to go play a round on their favorite course (wherever that is) ALONE... To each their own. This course has obviously changed a lot since it was first installed (several years back) and has grown out of the 2-level ratings. It's a valid 3.5827662, but I must round down. 3.5 STARS.

I hope you get the chance to enjoy this course, but if not, then no worries. I'm sure your home course is better anyway. Aren't they ALL!???

Great Fun, Could Be Even Better

1    10/25/2015   10/25/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 3/1/2016
Pros: The Big Armfield course is a truly underrated disc golf course. 18 holes here take advantage of a really wonderful piece of rolling terrain that includes steep hills, wide open clearings, dense but navigable woods, and some holes in the flat by a small creek. There is a little bit of everything here. There are really long holes that let you air it out in the field, and other holes that are less than 200 feet that ask for extreme precision. Fans of all styles of disc golf will find holes they enjoy here.

There are 3 sets of tees. There are the whites which are great for beginners. Blue tees (which are now mostly solidified with nice packed sand tees) seem to be the local tee of choice - they are fairly difficult and are a really good course. The gold tees seem to be for pros and/or masochists. They are much longer than the others, and also have some very tight lines.

Hole 2 was a really pretty throw down and into an open valley. Watching the disc sail down that hill was fun. There was another great downhill hole, # 7, which starts up on a rocky ridge and throws off a cliff down a narrow alley to a protected basket. This was one of the most unique and picturesque holes I have ever played

I really enjoyed hole 9 as well. It is a monster of a par three that charges up a steep hill and really requires some nice work to make a par. It is very tough, but also fair. That was perhaps one of my favorite things about this course. The tough holes were fair, not gimmicks.

17 was another really pretty hole. The tee is very near a nice bridge and the hole is a beautiful hyzer line with a sneaky creek bordering on the right.

This course also has some of the best signage I have ever seen. They seem to be illustrated satellite images that show the location of all 3 sets of tees, hole par, the hole lengths from all tees, elevation changes from each teebox, layup distances to specific targets on some of the longer holes, and directions to the next hole. There are also wooden arrows on the baskets which point golfers to the next tee, and extra navigational signs that point golfers to the next hole when it is less intuitive.

This park is also has a ton of extra amenities including running trails, baseball, basketball, restrooms on site, etc. The disc golf course is nicely distanced from all of those other things except for the running trails, and definitely does not seem like an afterthought as often happens in big parks like this. The disc golf course is on a really nice piece of terrain. Being able to play in this region during the fall leaves change was also really awesome. Pilot Mountain is a beautiful area.
Cons: The baskets are a bit disappointing - the Lightning-DB5 baskets are weak single chains and really don't catch well. They spit out shots that I feel would likely go in on many other basket types. (Update - I now hear there is a second row of chains for each basket. Hopefully this has improved things.) The gold tee target on hole 15 is unfortunately a tonal pole instead of a basket. The basket on 17 also is a bit bent and warped - it is still usable but it looks like a vehicle hit it on the right side.

The tees are a bit inconsistent too. The blues are mostly nicely framed packed sand style boxes which are really good. Unfortunately, #4 is simply a part of the walking trail. #7's teebox is also in the middle of a large rock formation and could be a bit dangerous. The white tees and gold tees are natural tees marked by small rocks. Some are a bit uneven and difficult to find. Some standardization of the tees for all 3 layouts would be a good thing. I will say, though, that the ornamental garden tile box on 15 with the mulched shrubs was really pretty.

The tee sign seems to be missing on hole 9. It was a bit tough to figure out what was going on there because the basket is blind from the tee.

There are a few poorly designed holes. I will discuss them below

The gold tee on hole 1 is back on a hill and asks for a throw over the gravel road and parking lot. Im not sure that was necessary.

#4 is a sharp dogleg right that throws right down the narrow running path, and is a somewhat blind shot. #3 shares this path as well, which really isn't a problem because it is straight away and open. #4 is partialy blind, however, and could be trouble if a runner comes around the corner.

Holes 8 and 13 were really headscratchers. Both are really short par 4s, which would be serviceable as par 3s from the white tees, but the blues and golds are set about 100 feet away at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the hole. So they basically play as straight 100 foot approaches to the white tees, and then the holes start. Both of those teeshots are throwaways and I don't think they add anything to the course.

Hole 14 has an old campsite in the fairway, so take a look before throwing.

15 is a really fun par 5 that plays down under a stretch of old power/phone lines. When the hole opens up to the right for the regular basket, there is another campsite right behind the basket so again use caution and look ahead. My main issue with the hole is actually the separate target for the gold tees. It is a much longer hole which is fine, except for the fact that the target is tucked behind a row of trees that seems nearly impenetrable and im not really sure there is a well-thought-out approach there. In addition, the target is a tonal pole, the only one on the course. This hole seemed like a lot of creativity went into it, but the final product really didn't seem to pay off.

Hole 17 is really pretty, but the 2 bridges again bring pedestrian traffic potentially into play. Visibility isn't really hindered on this hole though, so I think there is ample ability to keep an eye out for pedestrians on the bridges, but it does force the player to be a little extra cautious.

It looks like some of the distance measures on the gold tees are a bit off, I wonder if some of the tees have moved a little bit over time.
Other Thoughts: I really had a great time at this course. Though there are a few poor hole designs as I mentioned above, it is clear that this course is evolving and is getting better and better over time. There are old basket sleeves in the ground that show that some of the baskets have been shifted into better positions. Most of the holes are very well designed and the variety here really keeps the golfer's interest.

This is probably one of the most underrated courses I have ever played. It is a great place to come play. With a few tweaks of the layout, some better baskets, and some consistency with the tees, it could be even better!

New and improved Pilot!!

5+    10/11/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: Disc bro
Pros: The blue tees now have tee boxes!! Granite dust filled,very good.Plan for nest year is to build tee boxes for the white tees.Surry County Disc Golf Club has done an awesome job improving Big ARMfield disc golf course!! Alot of variety to this course,a great challenge!!
Cons: Not really any i can think of!! lol
Other Thoughts: Awesome course if you have not played it yet come give it a try!!!

Much improved, but still needs work.

1    5/17/2015   5/24/2015
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Armfield Civic Center has the makings of a solid 18-hole course. Based on older reviews, the redesign is a tremendous improvement; however, there are still some big issues keeping this course from reaching its full potential.
- Let me start off by saying I was extremely surprised by how good Armfield is, overall. There are a lot of fun and/or challenging holes, along with a great variety of layouts. I had always avoided playing the old layout because of how poorly it was rated/viewed, but decided to give the redesign a try. Good choice for me.
- This course had a lot of elevation in play, more so than I expected. Holes #1 & 2 both play downhill, making for a fun start to the round. Hole #7 is a short, steep, downhill 150-foot shot that ends up being not much more than a long putt. I suspect everyone's going to have a strong opinion about this hole, whether they love it or hate it. Hole #13 is one of the course's best, a 366-foot S-curved, down and uphill shot. Throw in a fair number of others with solid changes, and you've got elevation being an impact on more than half the holes.
- There's a good variety of wooded and open holes. Most of the wooded holes are open enough that you can be (somewhat) aggressive. As for the open holes, the rough/trees on the sides are thick enough that you're often in trouble if you can't keep it in the fairway.
- Tee signs are fantastic. They're satellite images of the hole (think Google Satellite or Bing Bird's eye) showing the tee pads and lines to the basket. Very visually helpful. What I liked even more was showing the elevation factor (although several elevations seemed inaccurate) and showing distances to certain landmarks on a hole - distance to the bend on #8, distance to a telephone pole on #15, etc. These are the little factors that go a long way to helping players.
- Good variety in distances and hole layouts. From the blue tees, which is where the tee signs are located, the two shortest holes are #16 (141 feet) and #7 (150 feet). Both are also downhill, not that it makes them any easier. The longest hole is #15 at 744 feet, with another four holes longer than 350 feet. Throw in a good mix of doglegs (try curving your disc enough on #8) and other layouts, along with some well-placed baskets - a fair number of open holes have baskets on the edge, or just into, the woods.
Cons: This course has several major issues that cannot be ignored if it's to be taken seriously. If not, this will still be a second-rate course that can pose major risks to disc golfers or other park goers.
- The biggest issues, which actually should have been addressed as soon as the baskets were put into the ground, is the fact holes use the walking trail as fairways. Holes #3, 4 & 8 all present the risk of a disc hitting a walker/jogger, which could lead to bigger issues - lawsuits, course being pulled, etc. That's unacceptable, no excuses needed. These holes have varying degrees of blind throws, so without a spotter you could be putting a person at risk with every shot.
- The secondary issue with these three holes is that because the fairways are walking trails, they are too narrow and poorly constructed. The rough is too thick on the left side of #3 & 4 , alongside the creek. As for #8, it's just a horrible designed hole. It's a 330 foot, 90-degree dogleg right about halfway up. Again, the fairway on this hole is 10 - 15 feet wide with a 'safe' landing spot not much bigger than that. Because the hole is so poorly designed, the compensation is that it's a par 4. As if that justifies this layout.
- Signage could be improved. There are other spots on the course where the trail and disc golf course cross paths. Unlike the three holes mentioned above, it's not part of any hole. Still, after finishing some holes, there are different directions you could take.
- A couple other flaws with the course I'll point out. The tee markers on #2 are pointed slightly in the wrong direction. They need to be turned about 45 degrees to the left to be properly facing the basket, and that includes still leaving a sharp dogleg layout.
- As others have mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the fairway for #15. I did like the hole layout better than expected. But, in order to ensure I was in the 'fairway', I threw two mid-range shots to get down to the open field near the basket. On a hole that's 744 feet, you would expect it's a hole to pull out driver.
- There needs to be better stairs on some of the downhill walks. It could be a tricky walk, especially if the course is wet/muddy on holes such as #7 & 16. Even with it being dry, these holes forced me to walk cautiously downhill.
- Finally, the tee pad on #17 should be moved to the right, taking out the risk of potentially having a shot thrown at the bridge. Again, it only takes one errant throw and one walker at the wrong time. Instead of second-guessing, let's eliminate an issue before it arises.
Other Thoughts: Armfield Civic Center was a pleasant surprise for me. I played it as part of a 3-day, 8-course trip. Out of the courses I played, this one most exceeded my expectations.
- There are 15 good holes here (or at least acceptable) and three horrific ones - #3, 4 & 8. Because of the major issues with those three, they drag down the rest of the course more than should be. There are simple ways to fix these problems, such as pulling all three, and just incorporate a couple long walks from #2 to #5 and #7 to #9, then plug in other holes somewhere else in the park. I'd rather have two long walks than having no course here.
- The course had a fair lost disc/searching for discs factor. Between the thick rough, elevation factor, sharp doglegs and other factors, discs can sail offline pretty easily. For example, my tee shot on #17 didn't start turning before the fairway did, and I sailed it straight into the woods. It took a couple minutes to cross the bridge and walk through the woods to get to the area where my disc was.
- There are some really good layouts here. I enjoyed the challenge of the uphill layouts on #6, 9 & 18. #18 is a solid closing hole, a 264-foot shot that starts in the open to a narrowed, uphill fairway in the woods. If you don't hit the gap in the woods, you're not going to have a shot to the basket. Add to that, the basket is close to a drop-off and you've got the makings of a solid closing hole.
- Here's the best thing I can say about this course. Several points during the round, my buddy and I both noted how the course had strong similarities to Kilborne in Charlotte. At its best, this course could be Kilborne-esque, but with an added elevation factor. It has that much potential. The problems with this course, however, are so severe that I'm knocking this course down to a 3.0. You take the best 15 holes on this course, and you're looking at a course in the 3.5 - 3.75 range, that's how much I was impressed by it.