Carmel, IN
The Hill @ Northview Church Share
Uploaded By: burdphil Hole #12 (Taken 12/2012)
Hole #12 Blue Tee

Great 18 Hole Park Bring your Arm and Legs

1    1/9/2012   1/24/2012
Review By: Corack
Pros: Great Signage on the course. Tees are small markers in the grass however they cut the grass to leave a high line of grass around the tee markers and marking the 30 foot putting range from the basket. Nice well maintained multi use facility.
Cons: Very Minor Con: some more signs in parking areas pointing to start of course.
The signs could use a little better indicators of where the sign post is in relation to the
tee pad markers. Also there could be a little clearer indication on each hole as to which
basket position is currently being used.
Other Thoughts: Hole 1 Opening throw down thru a couple trees guarding against high shots.

Hole 2 Up and over the hill just out of sight and slightly to the left.

Hole 3 Short throw down clean fairway lined with trees to a basket slightly to the left and guarded by trees.

Hole 4 Another short throw past some trees guarding the midpoint, slightly to the left.

Hole 5 Downward throw thru and alley of trees and to the left.

Hole 6 Distance throw across the open field, pretty standard and level.

Hole 7 slight uphill throw with basket tucked behind some trees.

Hole 8 Open field throw slightly uphill.

Hole 9 Little more advanced over crest of hill and down behind a tree. Across a little water.

Hole 10 Hike up the Hill and throw down and to the left, Couple trees at midpoint.

Hole 11 Throw back up the hill, clear with no trees in the way.

Hole 12 Back down the hill, guarded by a small group of trees midway.

Hole 13 Throwing thru the evergreens to a hidden basket in the middle of a group of evergreens.

Hole 14 Field Shot.

Hole 15 Downhill throw into open field.

hole 16 Throw past a row of trees and slightly to the right.

Hole 17 Toss back up hill, technical shot to a basket tucked tight behind an old tree.

Hole 18 Last uphill shot around a bushy tree at the midway point.

I Will defiantly play this course again if given the chance. It requires a lot of walking and gives some good tree lined shots to challenge a newer player. More experience players can work on their distance shots
here but may not find as much of a challenge. All the nice people we met that day played from the red tee box. Given how much time we spent looking for the blue tee box I can understand why.

A Great New Course

5+    1/5/2012   1/5/2012
Review By: johnnyq77
Pros: There are several types of holes, whether going uphill downhill, out in the open, or in the trees, which will test all of your disc golf abilities. I live close to it, and I think it is a fantastic addition to the Indianapolis area. It is easily accessible to the public and adds good variety to the courses in the area because of the unique scenarios you will be faced with. I always have a great time going there, and it always gives me a good challenge.
Cons: There are no concrete tee pads, so if the ground is wet, expect to slip on your tee shots. Along with that, I think that the red tees are too easy, and the blue tees are too hard, and requires a lot more skill to go from the red tees to the blue tees than Dillon Park, which is just down the road. When on top of the hill, do not mistake a pin for another hole as the pin for the hole you are on. Lastly, although there are different looking holes, a lot of them are very far, and that can get boring and tiring after a while.
Other Thoughts: It is less than 2 miles down the road from Dr. James A. Dillon Park so it is easy to do both courses in 1 day very easily. Also, the walk from #9 to #10 is long and uphill, but that is just me complaining because I'm lazy.

Classic Course

5+    12/24/2011   12/26/2011
Review By: chrismetken
Pros: There is so much varitey on the course from shots in the woods to long open holes. The baskets are new and in amazing shape and the grounds are groomed perfectly. Each pin is surronded by a "putting circle" similar to a green in ball golf. The course has several changes in elevation ranging from long downhill shots along with raging uphill holes. The course offers two tees, red and blue, and two pin positions a and b. There are bathrooms on the 1st and 14th holes. There are maps posted on a pole at every red tee box and signs are present throughout the course to direct you along.
Cons: The major con to the course is that there is no concrete tee pads. Some people enjoy the grass tee pads which are marked by two minis staked into the ground but of course most of us want concrete tees. The walk from hole 4 to 5 and from 9 to 10 could be a bit confusing on your first round and from 16 to 17 you have to backtrack quite a long way. Some holes seem to be designed a bit lazy but this does offer much variety.
Other Thoughts: All in all Northview is a great course. Park near the big building int he back with the orange palm trees and look at the large map to find the first tee off to the left. There is a cross country course that runs near several holes so look out for the runners.

The Church on the Hill

1    9/26/2011   9/27/2011
Review By: zud00
Pros: *Course has nice signs and baskets
*Alternate tee areas and basket positions
*Elevation comes into play, but mostly on holes 10-18
*A few holes with the challenge of finding a line between some tighter trees
*Many holes were long for those who enjoy airing it out
*Very nice and inviting facility with other activities
*Course is well taken care of and manicured
*Restrooms (porta-potties) located in a few spots throughout the course
Cons: *Grass tees, although I don't mind them, they are difficult to find. They are identified by two little 3" circles flush with the ground, making it difficult to find. However, most tee areas were flat or nearly flat despite being on "the hill."
*No trash cans on the couse
*Very little challenge other than distance at this course, most holes were mostly open
Other Thoughts: It was nice to play a course with some length, but that's mostly all this course had to offer, there really were no technically demanding shots. The elevation in the hill added some diversity and of course all the downhill shots were fun, it was the ones coming back up that were a challenge, mostly because it included a tough walk up the hill.

If anything, this course will give your legs and arm a workout, it will most likely not improve your game to much unless you need to work on really long putts (50-90')as most holes are long enough to leave a long putt for a player with a big arm.

The course is only 5 minutes from Dillon, so you should definitley check it out. Allow yourself for probably an hour and a half (solo) for the first time. You will spend some time searching for tees and the hike up and down the hill is tiring.

I find it hard to believe this course is nearly rated a 4. It does not have the TECHNICALLITY required, in my opinion, to be worthy of a 4. Some of the these reviewers need to get out and play a championship calibur course and see what a 4.5 or 5 rated course really is like...that's just my 2 cents. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice course with nice features, but it's not
Phenomenal.

1    9/24/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: astomps
This review was updated on 12/16/2012
Pros: -great area to play at
-land is very hilly therefore lots of elevation changes
-variety in shot choices (blind, rhbh, rhfh favored, rollers etc)
-small shop with an innova display at the host Church
-Evergreen trees on one hole
-well maintained
Cons: -Some tees are hard to see in grass
-several open air holes that on windy days could be frustrating
-some hole/next tees are very close together which could be dangerous if groups are playing back-to-back and not paying attention
Other Thoughts: One thing I would like more of is trees, just to cut down on open air. Just a great course in general though that still seems very young. Backing church seems to have a lot of money to spend as well, could imagine more holes coming in future.

1    9/17/2011   9/21/2011
Review By: duckkiller73
Pros: -GREAT SIGNS! From the one at the beginning where we parked to each tee the signs were excellent.
-2 tee's. That was nice. I threw from the short ones and thought they played nice, but the long ones did change the way a few of the holes played.
-2 pin locations. I played the B pins. I am wanting to come back to play the A pins.
-Beautiful atmosphere. Everyone seemed friendly and did not act like we were in the way or anything, even if they weren't playing disc golf.
-Lots of other things to do.
Cons: -Open holes. There were a lot of open shots. I wasn't forced to shape very many shots at all. May not be a bad thing for some, but I really like the challenge and demand of a forced shot on some holes throughout a course.
-No trash cans. The course was pretty clean, but when we had finished our drinks and snacks we had no where to put the trash.
-Maps. The map sign at the beginning was beautiful, but there needed to be something I could bring with me to find my way around. We struggled getting started, but then it flowed pretty well.
-Grass Tee's. Maybe not a con to some, but I like to tee off from concrete or something with a bit more grip than grass.
Other Thoughts: -Bring your energy. This course demands a nice walk. We played 3 other courses the day I played it and it was by far the most demanding terrain. There was a slight walk between holes, but I found that beneficial because we never felt like other golfers were throwing upon us!

1    8/28/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 8/14/2013
Pros: The Hill has discatcher baskets, nice tee signs and elevation changes on most holes. There are two sets of tees on every hole which caters to a larger variety of skill levels. The course has grass tees marked with something that looks similar to colored mini's. There were no roots, no signs of erosion and the tee area's were pretty flat so they didn't bother me at all.

The course plays through some large mature trees with virtually no undergrowth to worry about. While the course is more open, it uses what trees there are well.
Cons: While I don't mind the grass tees, it was a problem trying to find the tee area. For the most part the red (short) tees were pretty close to the tee sign, but the blue (long) tees were rather difficult to find. Some of the tees aren't quite pointing in the right direction. I threw at the wrong basket on holes 1 and 18, and had to inspect a few others to make sure I was throwing at the right one. Navigating the course wasn't incredibly easy at first, but then I noticed the "next tee" on the tee signs which helped. I ran into a local who joined me after two holes. He'd played the course 5 times and still had trouble finding things occasionally.

While the tee signs are nice, the aren't always a very accurate representation of the hole. They didn't help a lot trying to find the blue tees. The distances on a number of holes is longer than advertised. I'd say some of them are around 50-75 feet off, but that's just an educated guess.

The course has little diversity.

There are only 3 holes I would consider wooded. About half the course is wide open or only has one tree strategically placed in the way.

There's no shot diversity either. I think 18 was the only hole I threw a turnover shot. Hole 4 looks like a turnover shot at first, but the line there is a big hyzer shot over the top.

The pins were in the B position when I played here and even for a guy with a fairly big arm, many of these holes are out of reach for a birdie (despite what the distance on the sign says) so it quickly became a par fest. But of course none of the holes are long enough to be called a par 4 either.
Other Thoughts: My low rating of this course compared with the current course rating might be unpopular, but I have to call it like I see it. And after playing 118 courses, I feel I have a broad enough view of courses to disagree with the current course rating of 4.00 on 11 reviews and believe I have made a strong enough case to support my rating.

Overall this is a beautiful piece of property and it appears the church takes pride in keeping everything looking nice. Unfortunately the course is long, mostly open and monotonous.

The Hill

2-4    7/15/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: Discalier
Pros: Lots of elevation changes. It's the highest point in Carmel, IN. The pin placement makes for much of the difficulty, as a lot of them are placed behind and around trees.
Cons: The first 5 holes are not long, but VERY wooded. The mosquitos will kill you on the front 9. No concrete pads, so make sure to bring a good pair of shoes or you'll be slipping and sliding on your drives.
Other Thoughts: Is a good change-up from the other courses in the area. Beautiful course, but not the most difficult.

Awesome Course

1    7/27/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Victory33
Pros: Elevation! This course with some fun elevation. Nothing too crazy, but the layout is great. There are open holes, wooded holes, uphill shots, downhill shots, dogleg holes...it's got a fair amount of variety. The baskets are all Innova and great quality. The course was well maintained and being mowed while I played, the in and out of bounds were clearly marked with bushes. Should be pretty hard to lose a disc on this course, even in the wooded area. I noticed alternate basket locations as well, which is always a plus for variety.

The course takes you around a great plot of beautiful land and leaves you near where you started. Most holes were very fun and manageable for par or birdies....with a few ace possibilities. Place nearby to buy discs as well if always a plus.

Great location in good area, not far from Dillion park if you want to get 18 holes in.
Cons: Signage got confusing my first time, but should be easy next time. Red and Blue tees were sometimes hard to find due to lack of concrete. Course is also used as Cross Country course, which isn't horrible unless you have to wait to tee off. Don't like the 8pm closing time when the sun stays out until 9 in the summer.

I couldn't see the basket from quite a few tee pads, I had to walk around to find where I was shooting to. In time that won't be a big deal, but it's not always awesome shooting blind at a basket. Course could have used a few more wooded holes in the front 9.
Other Thoughts: Overall, my new favorite course near Indianapolis. I really appreciate the church building this course and can't wait to play there some more. Highly recommended.

Expertly Designed and Going to Be better

2-4    6/29/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: Chainrattler
Pros: This course is layed on a prime piece of land. The course is expertly maintained. The design with am and pro tees is sweet. Im sure teepads will be poured, so don't get all nasty about that. This is a new course and a work in progress. The use of the elevation and already mature trees is nothing less than brilliant. Appr. 4 of the teeshots are blind since the pins are tucked behind evergreens or other types od mature tees. The use of the creek on 9 makes it a great challenge. The rolling hills of the back 9 and the monster drives you need to score well is not for babies. This course is a premier course for the Indy area, and has an excellent future. The Northview campus has a nice cafe and eatery. The bookstore also sells discs. Overall the pros of this course is a wonderful representation of disc golf.
Cons: If I could change something I would dig out a pond and let it come into play. That would also add to the already beautiful landscape.
Other Thoughts: It is my opinion this course along with Dillon is setting a standard and a bar that other courses in the Indy area and other growing disc golf cities are paling in comparison to. I've only been playing 1 year but I'm a diehard player already with 40 courses under my belt, and I think it's awesome to see our area of the state and midwest putting in some courses that anyone who is a lover of the game would respect. The Hill is an ultimate representation of where this great sport is heading.