Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Lakeside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #15 Blue Tee

1    3/21/2017   3/29/2017
Review By: david W
Pros: This is a really solid course. Most holes are good or great. There is good use of water shots and the course does a good job of making you throw a lot of different distances and angles. Several holes have great scoring separation and utilize risk reward which I applaud.

The course is long and walkable regardless of what the staff at the Ranch tell you. I walked both courses back to back and was tired but certainly not exhausted.

Tee pads and signs are very nice and the course was very clean. No graffiti or trash which is always nice.

My favorite thing about this course was the back and forth between wooded and open holes and the demand for throwing every shot in you repertoire.

The property is beautiful and is really something special that our sport could use more of.
Cons: As long as this course is, it desperately needs distance markers on some of the longer holes (the island par 5 and the long downhill par 5 on the back 9 stand out in particular).

For what it costs to play I would like to have seen some cool features that distance this course from the rest (rock green, elevated green, etc.). This is a really good course but it is missing that special touch that would make it great.
Other Thoughts: I had a really good time playing this course. Im not a huge fan of hole 2's landing zone on the drive but for the most part this course is really good. I would like to see that extra 5% of work to make this course better but the way it sits is still pretty good. I don't think this is the best course in the country (it doesn't make my top 5). That being said I still think it ranks high and is a must play if you are in the area.

Maybe I'm crazy?

2-4    7/15/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: RollingStone
Pros: Pro shop with a limited selection means that some discs can be replaced. I do not mean to sound like I'm damning this amenity with faint praise, given that most courses I've played over the years don't even have a pro shop. I just don't want people thinking they'll find hundreds of different molds available.

The challenge factor is high here despite the flatness of the area.

Baskets, teepads, etc are all in good shape.

There are many holes where water comes into play without having to carry over water. For me these holes are more intimidating as they tax the end of my shot rather than the beginning. Placement is more important than power, and I enjoy the pressure this causes.
Cons: The price. Let's be honest, this is the elephant in the room. $20 for all day access may be a little steep, but I could live with it. However, the course is designed in such a fashion that you almost have to pay the $40 cart rental fee, which is way over the top. I pay way less at a golf course to drive their cart farther. I'm not sure who came up with the price point on this one, but it really bothers me.

There is very little elevation change, although I didn't deduct for that as the designer cannot work with what he does not have.

For $60 a day I would really like to see some jugs of water out on the course the way one does on golf courses.
Other Thoughts: Maybe I'm nuts, but I enjoyed Creekside more than Lakeside. I waited until I'd played both courses several times and from both sets of tees to write this thinking I'd change my mind, but at the end of the day I'd really like to be able to rate this course a 4.5 and Creekside a 4.75, but working within the system we have I want to rate both courses fairly, but show my preference for Creekside.

Both Selah courses are quite good, but at the end of the day it feels like someone pulled out a checklist labled "Things a good disc golf course needs" and started building. The is kind of a sterile feel that is much more evident on Lakeside than Creekside. Maybe it's the gimmicky island green on 7, or maybe it's the way a couple holes feel forced to play near the lake when they would play better to a different location. I'm not sure what it is that turns me off so much about Lakeside, but at the end of the day I know I won't be dying to play here despite how technically excellent this course is.