Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Lakeside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #15 Blue Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4

2-4    4/18/2014   4/21/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: As you round the bend on the road to Lakeside, you come over a small hill and see a beautiful landscape in front of you. The road continues straight ahead down the hill. On the right side is a peaceful lake with the Selah Inn perched above. On the left side of the path are the shores where your adventure begins.

There is not a bad hole on the course. Every hole will make you think about where you want your drive to end up and your second round will have you reconsidering what you did the first time you played it.

Most of the holes give you multiple ways to attack the hole with varying degrees of risk/reward. Hole 2 forces a RHBH hyzer to a landing area where you need to decide whether you'll test the water carry (with a shot at par) or take the safe route away from the lake where even a bogey is not assured. Holes 4 and 7 are similar in spirit but mirror images. On both you want to keep as close to the shore as possible to have an open look at the basket, but the lake is on opposite sides for each hole. On hole 4 I repeatedly wimped out and ended up in the trees where the fairway was tougher and it took more shots to get a clean look at the basket. And on hole 7, one of more famous holes in the game, I lost a couple discs. On this beast of a hole you have to maneuver between several landing areas on peninsulas (or play it safe through the trees and probably take a 9 on the hole). Even the final, scenic shot onto the island green is fraught. Despite throwing one of my better rounds, I collapsed on this hole, failing to execute an easy 150-foot hyzer to the pin. The water is only on five holes, but it gets in your head.

My favorite hole was 15. The tee shot features a downhill drive through several gaps in the trees to a meadow on the other side. From here you'll have one to three lanes to the basket, depending on where you end up. I loved the "Choose Your Own Adventure" feel. Take the wider turnover route over the mound? Turn to page 4. Take the tighter hyzer route? Turn to page 12. This was 831 feet of fun.

There are two tees on nearly every hole. I'm an intermediate player and still loved the blue tees. They force more interesting lines. I played the reds once and had a good time with a quick round.

The tee signs here are the best in the game. The various suggested paths to the hole are depicted, and even when the basket isn't visible, it isn't tough to tell where you're going.

The golf carts were fun and worth the cost. There were times when it felt odd to hop in the cart and drive 75 feet after a bad shot hit a tree up the fairway, but mostly they saved time, particularly if you're going between the two courses. That would be a very long walk. At the end of my day I had an hour left and managed to play a speed round from the red tees in about 50 minutes.
Cons: Bring some plastic that you don't mind losing. Just like the poker player who didn't come to fold, you didn't come to play it safe. Dig out those old discs, or buy some of the $5 lost and found discs at the pro shop (I got several good Star plastic discs). But losing a couple discs is probably inevitable.

There is not much elevation here. That is my biggest knock on the course. The elevation that is there is used well, but it's about as flat as you'd expect from a course in Texas.

Hole 14 is a hole with some controversy as to whether it's fair. I liked the first half of the hole with several lanes to choose from. The second half, an uphill climb to the basket (see, there is a little elevation!), features a couple pretty tight gaps. The kind that you drive the cart through pretty slowly so you don't clip a tree. I tend to agree with a lot of people that removing two or three trees would make for a couple clearer gaps that would still be very challenging. But I could be persuaded otherwise.

Finally, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about par, but the pars on some of the signs seemed generous. Hole 11 was 213 feet and was called a par 4. I put my drive 15 feet away my first time, so this seemed like an odd par 4.
Other Thoughts: Like probably everyone who saw this course come out of nowhere to be #1, I wondered if it belonged. The answer is an unequivocal yes. While it's not my personal #1, it belongs near the top. It may be the best-designed course I have played.

Quick note on the lodging: I stayed in one of the cabins near the Selah Inn. It wasn't cheap, but it is a great rustic cabin, feeling almost like something you'd find at a ski resort in the Rockies. This is the kind of lodging you wouldn't feel bad bringing your girlfriend to.

When you're standing at the tee considering your options with the water lapping against the shore and the cattle lowing somewhere beyond the trees, you'll know you've come somewhere special.

Lakeside

1    4/1/2014   4/3/2014
Review By: tbsox
Pros: This is absolutely one of the top courses in the world. While not actually a player himself Jack the "Course Manager" was more than happy to give us some warnings on various holes based on course conditions. This was very helpful and something that is somewhat rare in the disc golf world.

7 - This hole is its own 17 at Sawgrass. There are many attempts at this hole design including 18 on the creekside of this courses on site partner but actually doing it is a special thing. Its a massive par 5 that really forces most average players to lay up twice and its still a risky throw across the water even from the red tees. From blue its a true par 5.

This is the more visually spectacular of the two courses for sure. The lake views are very nice to look at while playing.

Course variety is also good from hole to hole. There is a good change from hole to hole. Every hole minus 14 offers fair risk reward that gives strokes and quickly takes them away.

18 - Good view and a good hole design. Go through the keyhole trees to get the normal RHBH hyzer to work or turn it over and go with the more open left side of the trees. The turnover has additional benefits for throw 2. The pad closer to the lake is much more open and a cleaner mid range throw with fewer trees.
Cons: Hole 14 - The on pad map has all sorts of "lanes" to throw through to get to the hole. I'm all about skill shots and tough holes but this is a bit ridiculous. I agree with many of the reviewers that I just don't get this hole. Given the skill and variety required in the rest of the course this particular hole seems more punitive than positive. There are several tree threading holes on this course besides this one.
Other Thoughts: The courses pars make this a course that, if you can shoot with a consistent level of precision, you can get a very low score. Most of the 5s are doable in 4 and for many people 3 (these are very hard throws but we had an eagle on the course). Its a lot of precision though. This is a hard fair course. Expect to win a few and lose a few. Example: you can have a drive at the green on the island on 7 with shot two but for most people this would be a pair of 300+ drives with small pads to land on.

This was not my groups favorite of the two courses. I debated hard between giving this course a 4.5 because of the 2 courses it was the only one with a hole I truly didn't like the build on. In the end I cannot argue that this is a premier course and frankly my one small beef cannot overtake what is an excellently designed course that was a ton of fun to play. I walked away feeling like I could play this course another 10 times and still not have a set shot selection for the course.

If you're going to play for a whole day I would invest in the carts. The fitness level to play these courses all day is high enough without having to walk the basic distances more than twice. We played them as many times as we could during our day. I would definitely go back and play this course again. This course absolutely competes with the other great courses I've played.

No Hype Just Results

1    3/28/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: Ajampalm
Pros: I made a special trip here from Minnesota while visiting my brother in OKC. We drove the 4 hours with others that don't normally play anything other than recreational disc golf besides myself.

We stayed in the cowboy room in the lodge, which was great. Rented a cart (the electric carts are 4 seaters if you need one that can only last 1.5 rounds), and hit up the course.

Above all in disc golf I believe that a course layout is only as good as someones ability to hit the line. This course provided the most intelligent layout I've ever seen in spades. Don't get me wrong it was far from easy, but there were enough birdie holes to keep you from feeling defeated on some of the more potentially dangerous holes.

I hate to re-iterate others feelings, but I will.
#7 is the most mentally interesting and taxing hole I've ever played and I've seen some doozies having played all of the top courses in the midwest. I think its the best hole in disc golf for Advanced-Pro players. I can see what am's could get frustrated by it though.
#14- Having played both red & blue tees I'm still not sure where the "2nd" lane is. There is a lane, but seems a little too random. Its the only spot I felt that even a perfect tee shot could put you in a place where you were still scratching your head. I tried to find the virtue, but this hole would get a "B" in my book.

Otherwise this whole course was without a doubt better than anything in the midwest. Sure the elevation was a little limited, but trust me you won't mind unless you are hung up on that exclusively.

If you can drive to play here and are serious about disc golf you have to come for a couple days. If not you are simply not getting the best that disc golf can offer you.
Cons: I don't really have a con for this course. Carts are really needed, but don't hurt to have either. If you are not a fan of shooting over water this course is not for you. This course is simply not meant for those who don't play disc golf at a fairly high level. You will only truly enjoy this course if you can afford to take the risk reward shots.
Other Thoughts: I hope someday to find another course I like this much. I like a lot of courses, but this is the best physical and intellectually challenging disc golf course I've ever seen.

Selah is the best!

Seclusion and Serenity @ Selah

2-4    3/1/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: jrrttmrgn
Pros: Where do you start when talking about what you like about a 5 star course? Course design? The challenge? For me it's the ambiance the course provides coupled with the standard checklist of must haves. Lakeside, even in winter has the feel that top ball golf courses like Augusta and Pebble Beach are known for.

I loved stepping on the tee pad and seeing a new puzzle to be solved on every hole and the amount of strategy needed to meet the challenge that Lakeside offers. Most holes can be completed using multiple approaches and the red and blue tee pads offer different lines and challenges.
Cons: There are very few if any cons at Lakeside. If there is, it's that Selah is not closer to my home.

I do have a concern though. Golf carts seem to be doing some damage to the areas around the lake especially holes 7-9 (7 being my favorite). It appears that there are multiple areas that are at risk for erosion. The slopes are now missing grass and could become all dirt if this trend continues. Possible restrictions on usage may be needed. Ruts and signs of donuts detract from natural beauty. Cart paths?
Other Thoughts: The idea of perfection is subjective. For me, a great layout is not enough to place a claim on perfection. There has to be something you just feel that can't always be quantified in a written review.

I knew Selah had great baskets, tee pads and a clean well thought out design before I got there. The Houcks have a proven track record of providing these things. But as my wife and I drove under the Selah sign, past the pro shop on the edge of a small lake and up the hill towards the lodge, I begin to realize this was more than a golf course. Selah is a destination. My wife and I stayed at the Drake Cottage and I could write another five star review on just that segment of our weekend.

I haven't played Flip City or Idlewild yet, and may never get to play Flyboy, but Selah is beyond memorable. Can't wait for Texas Teams...

Best course ever

5+    7/8/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: whosnext
Pros: Best course I've ever played. Best design 2 of the best holes in the world. This course is very difficult but very fair. Not one tree in the middle of the fairway where it doesn't belong. This is the future of Disc Golf. Lots of par 4's and 5's and not because they are just long, they also demand accuracy and placement in landing zones to prepare for your next shot. Golf carts for rent! WOW what a great time Ill be back at least twice a year.
Cons: I don't own this course and I don't live on the property
Other Thoughts: If you ever get to go to Selah Ranch don't hesitate. I've played all over the World and these are the best courses any where!

Had a Blast!

1    7/21/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: riclee
Pros: Two awesome 5-Star Courses, Golf Carts, Friends & Beer...Lot's of fun, can't get better than that. Be prepared to be here all day.
Cons: Needs a little mowing. Lots of water hazards, but really not a con for me. Bring some disc you won't mind losing.
Other Thoughts: The golf carts are well worth it .I will be coming back.

Hands Down The Best

1    7/20/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: jayhawker737
Pros: Where should I start? My buddy and I made a weekend trip through Tulsa to come and play the Selah courses, and this particular course made it all worth the trip. This is the best, most interesting course I have ever played. It offers everything a disc golfer can ask for. We played the blue pads, the longer pads. This course has as much distance as you can ever want, it was as much technique you can want, it has the most risk/reward of any disc golf course I have ever played, it has it all. On so many occasions there are holes that play over the lake, but you can always bail out by throwing shorter onto land. Hole 7 was an amazing hole. It is a par 5 on an island. On your drive you can lay up to a peninsula, or go big. On your second shot you can lay up or go big. Every single shot on this hole has water on the left. It was one of my favorite holes I have ever played. The flow of this course is exceptional. We decided to not rent a cart, and we were still fine in navigating the course. Hole 14. Many people have questioned this hole, but I loved it. It offered you every line a disc golfer could even think of off the tee, but each line was very tight. It let you choose any shot you wanted to throw, but throw it very well. If you got through the first group of trees, then your upshot is even tighter, but with smaller trees. This shot required finesse. This isn't a throw and hope hole, like many other reviews stated. Not only was this the hardest course I ever played it was tied for the most fun I ever played with Flip City. If this was the only course I played on our trip down from Kansas City, I would still say the trip was way worth it.
Cons: There are two cons of this course. The first is that if you don't rent a golf cart, you have to check in at the pro shop and then drive a while more to the start of the course. The only reason this is a con is because it starts far away from anything else on the ranch. The other con is that I don't live on this ranch.
Other Thoughts: If you grew up only playing this course, you could still become a world champion. It offers anything and everything a disc golfer would ever want. This is an amazing piece of art.

The Ranch

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: championlog22
Pros: (Including parts from Creekside)
I have never felt this way when entering a DG course. It's almost like you are part of an exclusive club. Only 1 other group was on the course the whole day. The pro shop is well-stocked and also had good deals on used discs. New off-road carts handle the bumpy roads and fairways much better than normal golf carts. The carts have a bed in the back big enough to hold your discs and a cooler and in my case a tackle box and poles as well.

1 starts out requiring a semi-risky approach by the water.

4 is just a beautiful hole that plays right along the lake. The drive is a straight shot to a grassy area by the water, followed by a second shot through the trees, or if you are more powerful than me, an approach shot straight at the hole with water covering the front. The green is lightly wooded. It is a difficult hole, but one of my favorites.

6 and a few other holes are nice ace runs that provide relief from the long tosses.

7 is hands down the hardest hole I have ever played. The island green. To start off, I faced a 15-20 mph headwind. I don't know what it is about that spot, but that is the only hole of the day that I even noticed there being any wind at all. It caused me to put my lightweight floating blizzard back in the back and go for the heavier Teerex which promptly caught the wind and dove in the lake (My friend and I hopped in and found it along with a few other discs) I dropped by where it went out of bounds and my next shot was a lay-up to the edge of the water then an approach to the island. Awesome design, but extremely difficult. Loved the hole.

9 included a strange 'S' shape fairway that was interesting and unique of any hole I had ever played.

The course finishes up with a scenic 18 that plays along the lake, but not being too risky of a shot.
Cons: 14, like many other people, I just don't get. If you did happen to get lucky or you were just that skilled to hit one of the 3 main gaps, you still face a heavily wooded fairway with no discernible path to the hole. I definitely think there should be a tree or 2 or 15 cut down there.

There are no bathrooms or water along the course, but that is cancelled out I think by the carts. We made it from the farthest part of the course to the pro shop (where the bathrooms are) in just a few minutes. The carts really take the need of bathrooms and water away, especially since you can hold a cooler in the cart.

The course can be really dusty now and then, especially with a cart or 3, but on a ranch that size, you can't expect the grass to be perfectly maintained after all that cart traffic.

There are no benches, which really only affects the people that walk the course.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is the best experience I have ever had playing disc golf. Dave is a man of few words, but is as nice and as hospitable as you can be. It took us 2 hours to play with 5 guys and 3 carts. The cart really saves your energy and that allows you to play more. I camped with 4 other guys and the campsite had a picnic table with a fire ring and firewood supplied. You would definitely need a truck or off road SUV to get to the campsites though. The farthest campsite away from the showers and bathrooms was only about a quarter mile away. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were hot. Overall, a great camping and disc golf trip.

Date: 7/10/2013 Designer Response by: johnrhouck
So great to hear that you enjoyed the courses -- and the Selah experience -- so much. It is an amazing place. As for Hole #14, I'm sorry it didn't make sense to you; you are not alone, and it may be the most misunderstood hole I've ever been involved with. We're actually working on a short video explaining the hole -- I swear to you all there are multiple clean and fair routes to the pin, and the video will show them all in detail. Until then, I hope people continue to love the courses.

5+    3/16/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: grodney
Pros: Selah Lakeside is real golf. The abundance of water shots and multi-shot holes means that you need a skilled physical game -- but also a solid mental game.

The variety of tight vs open on this course is outstanding. You have it all: Open holes away from water, open holes near water, tight shots near water, tight shots in the woods. You can use your full creativity throughout the course. Players in the same group will often end up throwing different shots.

The variety in shot lengths is incredible. Not only do the one-shot holes vary from short touch shot to challenging long throws, but the approach shots on multi-shot holes will also vary greatly. In the end, you will test the full spectrum of your distance control.

The basics are all top notch: Tee pads, baskets, pro shop, carts, etc.

The exclusivity of the Selah Ranch cannot be over-emphasized. Having these two courses on land entirely devoted to them is well worth the price of admission.
Cons: Hole #14 is highly questionable. The gaps are too small and the routes are unclear. This adds up to the thrower looking for the easy way out: A bailout to the ravine on the right, or a thumber or tommy over the top. If it weren't for this hole, the course would rate 5.5 out of 5.

There are no benches at the tee. There might be an assumption that everyone will be in carts, but I'm sure this won't be the case. Benches at the tee would elevate this course yet another notch.

The ground is too rough for standard golf carts. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but just in standard low-speed driving the carts were being badly shaken.
Other Thoughts: Selah is a true destination. It's easily worth the money for greens fees and carts. Depending on your priorities, it's probably worth the money to stay overnight, especially in the Corral House.

Da Best

5+    3/8/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: Memphis Newbie
Pros: Design--I think the core of Selah Lakeside's greatness is the intelligent, meticulous design. The distances between tees and baskets (or tees and landing areas) are not arbitrary, they are based on the abilities of red tee and blue tee players and the foliage density. Another major pro for this course is the overall layout. For example, on most courses that I have played that are designed around a central lake, all of the water holes have the water on the same side of the fairway, because the course simply makes a one directional loop around the lake. Lakeside makes a couple of figure eight loops so that the lake is on alternating sides for the water holes. Also, the signs are beautiful and look bomb proof.

Par 4s and 5s-- well designed par 4s and 5s are the future of disc golf. Multiple shot holes add so much more strategy and intrigue to the game. This is why ball golfers can join a country club and play mostly that one course the rest of their lives. Multiple shot holes create so many possible combinations of shots that can evolve with the player.

Navigation-- all courses should have clear signage and navigation aids for those who are new to the course, but especially major destination courses should be easy to navigate. Lakeside did not disappoint in this regard. Very nice directional signs pointed us to the next tee. If you were going to walk either of the Selah courses, pick Lakeside, there is a lot less distance between holes compared to Creekside.

People-- Dave and Candy, the owners, are just awesome, nuff said. Ditto on Jack Bourn, the course manager who lives down the road. Dave asked Jack, who was retired, if he wanted to do a little part time work managing the courses. Since week one he has never put in less than full time. He had never heard of disc golf before, now he is friends with many of the elite pros. Super cool guy.

Accommodations-- There are rooms at the Inn, Woodland Cottages (that are just off the Lakeside course) and then the Corral House that sleeps eight. We had eight guys and stayed in the Corral House. It was a total blast. Book several months in advance or you'll pay more money to stay somewhere half as nice and you'll have to drive half an hour every day to get to Selah.

Setting--take all the aforementioned and put it around a beautiful lake and surround it with trees and you've got disc golf paradise. The trees were still bare and the grass was still brown and it was still beautiful.
Cons: Nit picky stuff that did not detract from the experience such as a typo on the red tee sign for hole 11 said that it was a par 4 (just caused a moment of confusion since we could see the basket under 200 feet away). I will also say that the second half of hole 14 does not have anything remotely resembling a fairway. It was not very Houckesque. You walk down to your lie in the landing area and you look up to see a thick stand of trees with no discernible flight path to the basket. We saw some freshly cut trees, so I think this hole is still a work in progress.
Other Thoughts: When I first heard there was a course with golf carts I rolled my eyes and imagined a future full of fat, lazy disc golfers.
After a weekend at Selah, I would say they are mandatory (unless you are staying at the Inn or the Cottages and only plan on playing Lakeside). This Ranch is huge. The Corral House is very isolated from the courses. The courses are very separated from each other. And Creekside has some long distances between holes. If you travel a long distance to Selah you will want to get in as much golf as possible. I would say the carts at least double the amount of holes you will play at Selah. You'll get plenty of exercise playing 72 holes a day with the carts.

< Prev 1 2 3 4