Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Lakeside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 3/2013)

Seclusion and Serenity @ Selah

2-4    3/1/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: jrrttmrgn
Pros: Where do you start when talking about what you like about a 5 star course? Course design? The challenge? For me it's the ambiance the course provides coupled with the standard checklist of must haves. Lakeside, even in winter has the feel that top ball golf courses like Augusta and Pebble Beach are known for.

I loved stepping on the tee pad and seeing a new puzzle to be solved on every hole and the amount of strategy needed to meet the challenge that Lakeside offers. Most holes can be completed using multiple approaches and the red and blue tee pads offer different lines and challenges.
Cons: There are very few if any cons at Lakeside. If there is, it's that Selah is not closer to my home.

I do have a concern though. Golf carts seem to be doing some damage to the areas around the lake especially holes 7-9 (7 being my favorite). It appears that there are multiple areas that are at risk for erosion. The slopes are now missing grass and could become all dirt if this trend continues. Possible restrictions on usage may be needed. Ruts and signs of donuts detract from natural beauty. Cart paths?
Other Thoughts: The idea of perfection is subjective. For me, a great layout is not enough to place a claim on perfection. There has to be something you just feel that can't always be quantified in a written review.

I knew Selah had great baskets, tee pads and a clean well thought out design before I got there. The Houcks have a proven track record of providing these things. But as my wife and I drove under the Selah sign, past the pro shop on the edge of a small lake and up the hill towards the lodge, I begin to realize this was more than a golf course. Selah is a destination. My wife and I stayed at the Drake Cottage and I could write another five star review on just that segment of our weekend.

I haven't played Flip City or Idlewild yet, and may never get to play Flyboy, but Selah is beyond memorable. Can't wait for Texas Teams...

Epic, if not perfect

1    10/21/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- Hole 7, by far the most memorable hole I've ever played. Such a mental challenge. You know you can make the shot onto the island, but the prospect of losing a disc weighs heavily. It can make or break your confidence for the rest of the round.
- The scenery. Such a beautiful piece of property, very peaceful and picturesque.
- Wide variety of shot shapes and lines required. Never felt repetitious.
- Multiple concrete teepads on each hole, each giving a very distinct challenge.
- Extremely challenging without feeling obnoxious, or intentionally annoying.
- Due to the cost and location, I'd imagine it's never crowded.
Cons:
- Not free ($20/day).
- Not really walkable, and golf carts are $40/day and only have two seats and are loud.
- Not much elevation change.
- Nitpicking here, but the course is a little raw, not manicured like a nice city course.
It was very difficult to not give this course a 5.0, as it seems almost everyone else has, but according to the site, a 5 is "perfect in every possible way". While it's an amazing course, the cost and lack of elevation keep it from being perfect in my mind. Definitely going to make at least one weekend trip a here a year from now on.

Best course ever

5+    7/8/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: whosnext
Pros: Best course I've ever played. Best design 2 of the best holes in the world. This course is very difficult but very fair. Not one tree in the middle of the fairway where it doesn't belong. This is the future of Disc Golf. Lots of par 4's and 5's and not because they are just long, they also demand accuracy and placement in landing zones to prepare for your next shot. Golf carts for rent! WOW what a great time Ill be back at least twice a year.
Cons: I don't own this course and I don't live on the property
Other Thoughts: If you ever get to go to Selah Ranch don't hesitate. I've played all over the World and these are the best courses any where!

Had a Blast!

1    7/21/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: riclee
Pros: Two awesome 5-Star Courses, Golf Carts, Friends & Beer...Lot's of fun, can't get better than that. Be prepared to be here all day.
Cons: Needs a little mowing. Lots of water hazards, but really not a con for me. Bring some disc you won't mind losing.
Other Thoughts: The golf carts are well worth it .I will be coming back.

Hands Down The Best

1    7/20/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: jayhawker737
Pros: Where should I start? My buddy and I made a weekend trip through Tulsa to come and play the Selah courses, and this particular course made it all worth the trip. This is the best, most interesting course I have ever played. It offers everything a disc golfer can ask for. We played the blue pads, the longer pads. This course has as much distance as you can ever want, it was as much technique you can want, it has the most risk/reward of any disc golf course I have ever played, it has it all. On so many occasions there are holes that play over the lake, but you can always bail out by throwing shorter onto land. Hole 7 was an amazing hole. It is a par 5 on an island. On your drive you can lay up to a peninsula, or go big. On your second shot you can lay up or go big. Every single shot on this hole has water on the left. It was one of my favorite holes I have ever played. The flow of this course is exceptional. We decided to not rent a cart, and we were still fine in navigating the course. Hole 14. Many people have questioned this hole, but I loved it. It offered you every line a disc golfer could even think of off the tee, but each line was very tight. It let you choose any shot you wanted to throw, but throw it very well. If you got through the first group of trees, then your upshot is even tighter, but with smaller trees. This shot required finesse. This isn't a throw and hope hole, like many other reviews stated. Not only was this the hardest course I ever played it was tied for the most fun I ever played with Flip City. If this was the only course I played on our trip down from Kansas City, I would still say the trip was way worth it.
Cons: There are two cons of this course. The first is that if you don't rent a golf cart, you have to check in at the pro shop and then drive a while more to the start of the course. The only reason this is a con is because it starts far away from anything else on the ranch. The other con is that I don't live on this ranch.
Other Thoughts: If you grew up only playing this course, you could still become a world champion. It offers anything and everything a disc golfer would ever want. This is an amazing piece of art.

The Ranch

1    7/6/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: championlog22
Pros: (Including parts from Creekside)
I have never felt this way when entering a DG course. It's almost like you are part of an exclusive club. Only 1 other group was on the course the whole day. The pro shop is well-stocked and also had good deals on used discs. New off-road carts handle the bumpy roads and fairways much better than normal golf carts. The carts have a bed in the back big enough to hold your discs and a cooler and in my case a tackle box and poles as well.

1 starts out requiring a semi-risky approach by the water.

4 is just a beautiful hole that plays right along the lake. The drive is a straight shot to a grassy area by the water, followed by a second shot through the trees, or if you are more powerful than me, an approach shot straight at the hole with water covering the front. The green is lightly wooded. It is a difficult hole, but one of my favorites.

6 and a few other holes are nice ace runs that provide relief from the long tosses.

7 is hands down the hardest hole I have ever played. The island green. To start off, I faced a 15-20 mph headwind. I don't know what it is about that spot, but that is the only hole of the day that I even noticed there being any wind at all. It caused me to put my lightweight floating blizzard back in the back and go for the heavier Teerex which promptly caught the wind and dove in the lake (My friend and I hopped in and found it along with a few other discs) I dropped by where it went out of bounds and my next shot was a lay-up to the edge of the water then an approach to the island. Awesome design, but extremely difficult. Loved the hole.

9 included a strange 'S' shape fairway that was interesting and unique of any hole I had ever played.

The course finishes up with a scenic 18 that plays along the lake, but not being too risky of a shot.
Cons: 14, like many other people, I just don't get. If you did happen to get lucky or you were just that skilled to hit one of the 3 main gaps, you still face a heavily wooded fairway with no discernible path to the hole. I definitely think there should be a tree or 2 or 15 cut down there.

There are no bathrooms or water along the course, but that is cancelled out I think by the carts. We made it from the farthest part of the course to the pro shop (where the bathrooms are) in just a few minutes. The carts really take the need of bathrooms and water away, especially since you can hold a cooler in the cart.

The course can be really dusty now and then, especially with a cart or 3, but on a ranch that size, you can't expect the grass to be perfectly maintained after all that cart traffic.

There are no benches, which really only affects the people that walk the course.
Other Thoughts: Again, this is the best experience I have ever had playing disc golf. Dave is a man of few words, but is as nice and as hospitable as you can be. It took us 2 hours to play with 5 guys and 3 carts. The cart really saves your energy and that allows you to play more. I camped with 4 other guys and the campsite had a picnic table with a fire ring and firewood supplied. You would definitely need a truck or off road SUV to get to the campsites though. The farthest campsite away from the showers and bathrooms was only about a quarter mile away. The bathrooms were clean and the showers were hot. Overall, a great camping and disc golf trip.

Date: 7/10/2013 Designer Response by: johnrhouck
So great to hear that you enjoyed the courses -- and the Selah experience -- so much. It is an amazing place. As for Hole #14, I'm sorry it didn't make sense to you; you are not alone, and it may be the most misunderstood hole I've ever been involved with. We're actually working on a short video explaining the hole -- I swear to you all there are multiple clean and fair routes to the pin, and the video will show them all in detail. Until then, I hope people continue to love the courses.

Fantastic course

2-4    3/23/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: Pwingles
Pros: I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said in previous reviews. But I'll point out a few things that I appreciated.
The course is very difficult, well thought out greens that are tricky for the most part. The scenery and the environment were hard to beat. Worth every penny and every second of time spent away from home
Hole 2, 4, 7 are truly great holes, very fun to play. The holes that are more wooded are all really fun and just a bit different enough from one another that it doesnt get to be monotonous.
Cons: Hole 14, as grodney said, is just silly. I was really put off by it, not because its the worst hole ever made or anything, just that, compared to the obvious thought that went into a lot of the other holes, it seemed like this one was a brain fart in comparison. Its a truly terrible hole. Too much luck factor. It is three-able. But there are way too may trees in the fairway, and guarding the basket.

Other Thoughts: Great atmosphere, well designed course, very nice people on site. Houck is a genius.The amenities are great, carts, porta johns, pro shop, lodge area, showers etc.
If its hot, id bring as much to drink as you can, and some snacks.

Date: 6/13/2013 Designer Response by: johnrhouck
Glad you enjoyed it, Pwingles, and thank you for the wonderful compliment. I'm sorry you didn't see the virtues of #14 -- it's just such a misunderstood hole. To help players see the vision, we are actually making a video of the hole, so stay tuned. Hope to someday change your mind on that one.

5+    3/16/2013   3/25/2013
Review By: grodney
Pros: Selah Lakeside is real golf. The abundance of water shots and multi-shot holes means that you need a skilled physical game -- but also a solid mental game.

The variety of tight vs open on this course is outstanding. You have it all: Open holes away from water, open holes near water, tight shots near water, tight shots in the woods. You can use your full creativity throughout the course. Players in the same group will often end up throwing different shots.

The variety in shot lengths is incredible. Not only do the one-shot holes vary from short touch shot to challenging long throws, but the approach shots on multi-shot holes will also vary greatly. In the end, you will test the full spectrum of your distance control.

The basics are all top notch: Tee pads, baskets, pro shop, carts, etc.

The exclusivity of the Selah Ranch cannot be over-emphasized. Having these two courses on land entirely devoted to them is well worth the price of admission.
Cons: Hole #14 is highly questionable. The gaps are too small and the routes are unclear. This adds up to the thrower looking for the easy way out: A bailout to the ravine on the right, or a thumber or tommy over the top. If it weren't for this hole, the course would rate 5.5 out of 5.

There are no benches at the tee. There might be an assumption that everyone will be in carts, but I'm sure this won't be the case. Benches at the tee would elevate this course yet another notch.

The ground is too rough for standard golf carts. I'm not sure what the solution is here, but just in standard low-speed driving the carts were being badly shaken.
Other Thoughts: Selah is a true destination. It's easily worth the money for greens fees and carts. Depending on your priorities, it's probably worth the money to stay overnight, especially in the Corral House.

Da Best

5+    3/8/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: Memphis Newbie
Pros: Design--I think the core of Selah Lakeside's greatness is the intelligent, meticulous design. The distances between tees and baskets (or tees and landing areas) are not arbitrary, they are based on the abilities of red tee and blue tee players and the foliage density. Another major pro for this course is the overall layout. For example, on most courses that I have played that are designed around a central lake, all of the water holes have the water on the same side of the fairway, because the course simply makes a one directional loop around the lake. Lakeside makes a couple of figure eight loops so that the lake is on alternating sides for the water holes. Also, the signs are beautiful and look bomb proof.

Par 4s and 5s-- well designed par 4s and 5s are the future of disc golf. Multiple shot holes add so much more strategy and intrigue to the game. This is why ball golfers can join a country club and play mostly that one course the rest of their lives. Multiple shot holes create so many possible combinations of shots that can evolve with the player.

Navigation-- all courses should have clear signage and navigation aids for those who are new to the course, but especially major destination courses should be easy to navigate. Lakeside did not disappoint in this regard. Very nice directional signs pointed us to the next tee. If you were going to walk either of the Selah courses, pick Lakeside, there is a lot less distance between holes compared to Creekside.

People-- Dave and Candy, the owners, are just awesome, nuff said. Ditto on Jack Bourn, the course manager who lives down the road. Dave asked Jack, who was retired, if he wanted to do a little part time work managing the courses. Since week one he has never put in less than full time. He had never heard of disc golf before, now he is friends with many of the elite pros. Super cool guy.

Accommodations-- There are rooms at the Inn, Woodland Cottages (that are just off the Lakeside course) and then the Corral House that sleeps eight. We had eight guys and stayed in the Corral House. It was a total blast. Book several months in advance or you'll pay more money to stay somewhere half as nice and you'll have to drive half an hour every day to get to Selah.

Setting--take all the aforementioned and put it around a beautiful lake and surround it with trees and you've got disc golf paradise. The trees were still bare and the grass was still brown and it was still beautiful.
Cons: Nit picky stuff that did not detract from the experience such as a typo on the red tee sign for hole 11 said that it was a par 4 (just caused a moment of confusion since we could see the basket under 200 feet away). I will also say that the second half of hole 14 does not have anything remotely resembling a fairway. It was not very Houckesque. You walk down to your lie in the landing area and you look up to see a thick stand of trees with no discernible flight path to the basket. We saw some freshly cut trees, so I think this hole is still a work in progress.
Other Thoughts: When I first heard there was a course with golf carts I rolled my eyes and imagined a future full of fat, lazy disc golfers.
After a weekend at Selah, I would say they are mandatory (unless you are staying at the Inn or the Cottages and only plan on playing Lakeside). This Ranch is huge. The Corral House is very isolated from the courses. The courses are very separated from each other. And Creekside has some long distances between holes. If you travel a long distance to Selah you will want to get in as much golf as possible. I would say the carts at least double the amount of holes you will play at Selah. You'll get plenty of exercise playing 72 holes a day with the carts.

Dream DG vacation

5+    3/15/2013   3/16/2013
Review By: SuperBorg
Pros: We had a group stay for a weekend in the Corral house at Selah Ranch. The house was fantastic. The website calls it their "roughing it" house, but it was pretty posh, with 5 beds, a flatscreen with dvd, a full kitchen, and a pool table. The owners seem like great people. They were very nice, and seemed legitimately happy to have us. They treated us very fairly too. Like others have said, the dogs kept us company, which was cool.

This is the only course I have played on that has a pro shop and golf carts. It made for a great experience. You could easily play Lakeside without a cart, although the distance between holes on creekside makes a cart really helpful there. Where we were playing from sunrise to sunset, the carts really helped. We even had energy left for some night golf. At $20 per day, the carts are a good deal.

The course lived up to high expectations. Great design, in really beautiful surroundings. One great thing about this course, that other courses often lack, is that it had almost a full mix of hole types, open, tight, water, dry, hilly, flat. I personally think they worked in the elevation they had well. The water holes are amazing, and the tree holes are very tight and technical.

We played the course several times, both red and blue tees. The blue tees are an extreme challenge, and not for the feint of heart.

Hole 7 is a classic, and the island throw is epic. There is a lot of water in play on a lot of holes, and where there is not water, the trees are super tight, so there is no relaxing. The pars, ranging from 3 to 5 are representative and fair, unlike many courses that insist that every hole must be a par 3 regardless of the length or difficulty.

Hole 9 - 13 through the trees is a great stretch. I. particularly liked hole 9, which requires a well placed drive (right to left) in order to position for a tough left to right a approach. Hole 4 is an absolute beast, do you risk the water, or wrestle with the woods? 18 holes. No throwaway holes, and several classics.

Selah is a great experience. We traveled across the country to try it out, and it was worth it.

Cons: Not many, and they may be overly picky, but here goes. It was a bit windy. We checked the weather regularly in the weeks leading up to our visit, and it seemed to always be around 15 mph. You may want to expect breezes.

The second half of hole 14 seems unfinished. While the map shows three fairway options, there is really no fairway at all, just random trees everywhere. After many rounds, we concluded that the best spot to throw your second throw from was off in a ditch to the right side. This can't have been the intention when designing the hole. This is an easy fix, and hopefully will be remedied soon.

Other Thoughts: I would like to see cart paths. The soil is sandy, and the carts are working their way to the sand. Designated cart paths would help preserve the course. I particularly would recommend that they ban carts from the island. Its a heavy traffic area, and a highlight of the course. I want to see it remain green and beautiful. The carts are working down to the sand, which is sad to see.