Talco, TX
Selah Ranch - Lakeside Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #1 Blue Tee Sign

Can't wait to get back

1    3/18/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: slicemaster
Pros: Exceeded every expectation I had. You know how when everyone says something is great only to find out it isn't. Well this isn't one of those times. This course is everything you could want and more. Beautiful scenery, expertly designed holes, fantastic risk/reward shots, a golf cart :), and a ride along dog. ( at least I got one named Pete)

When you step up to #1 you are thinking "Oh this is a good opening hole, I can let er rip and lay up easy." I thought that until I saw my approach. I love holes where the approach shot is the most difficult and #1 is the epitome of this.

#4 just may be the most difficult on the whole property. Not only is the approach shot a doosie but teeing off ain't no walk in the park either. Really loved this hole.

#7 - Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. You can't know how awesome this hole is until you step on the tee. Pictures do it no justice. I donated 5 discs to the disc golf gods on this hole. Didn't care one bit. So AWESOME!

#14 may have the most numerous paths to the basket ever. When you walk up and look at the tee sign then look at the hole you just have to shake your head. Grip it and rip it and hope the trees ain't mean.

#16 - Loved this fairway. It was so pretty it was worth mentioning.

#18 - Really fun hole to close out a perfect course. When you finish your last shot there is an instant urge to start again and you should.
Cons: ZERO
Other Thoughts: Bring OFF to this course. Especially #14 and #15. You will be eaten alive by mosquitoes. Fortunately the course is so awesome you will not care. I think everyone should try to stay overnight here at least once. I was lucky enough to be here all weekend and my wife and I pretty much had the entire property to ourselves. Breakfast was great, picnic lunch was amazing, and the steak dinner was unbelievable. Believe it or not there are quite a few things to do in Mt. Vernon other than disc golf. Take one of the historic driving tours, go visit Dandy Don Meredith's museum, stroll around beautiful downtown and take your picture next to the tallest soldier to fight in the Civil War. He was 7'7" and lived to be 76 years old, pretty cool I think. Bottom line, if you love disc golf, you will love Selah Ranch, period.

First Class DG

2-4    1/22/2012   1/23/2012
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Truly beautiful and designed perfectly. Honestly, every shot could be used and there are multiple lines to almost every shot. I played once in extreme heat and once in January with a stout wind and both times were phenomenal. both courses a nice compliment to the other. Lakeside was more fun to me. More signature shots. Just a great time.
Cons: None. These are championship courses and could probably empty a newbies bag in short order
Other Thoughts: Championship frolf and top notch hospitality. One of the best times I've had playing DG. Go pay your money, lose a disc or two and have a great time doing it. It's well worth it.

words cant describe

1    1/14/2012   1/16/2012
Review By: teamtapin13
Pros: these parks are beautiful, fun, challenging, and golf carts make for a ball golf atmosphere.... this was a truely awesome experience
Cons: there are no cons except these parks are 100 miles from my house...
Other Thoughts: the people were really nice, and the two dogs were totally cool, they had a couple firepits on each course burning to warm up with on the cool morning...

As Good As It Gets

1    10/19/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: Clue
Pros: This is everything a disc golf course should be. Not only is the course perfectly laid out to provide the best of challenges, but everything else is as high end as you'll find anywhere in disc golf. The concrete tees are huge, the signs and scorecards make it easy to navigate, the golf carts are a bonus, and the scenery is amazing. I played it on a very windy day toward the end of one of the worst droughts on record and still found this course to be very playable and enjoyable. I can't wait to come back when it's in even better condition.
Cons: There are none. The price is absurdly cheap for what you are getting. The owners have put a LOT of money into the course to make it as professional a venue as you'll find anywhere. Despite being a par 69, I thought it played much shorter. The shots are not just good, they're fun which makes for a good experience.
Other Thoughts: There's a lot of resistance to paying to play disc golf. I pay more than twice as much for a single round of regular golf and most disc golfers pay way more to play tournaments. This is worth every penny and then some to play. I'd recommend making a full weekend of it and playing both the short and long tees on both courses.

What a great disc golf resort

1    10/9/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: emook
Pros: Short holes, Long holes, open holes, technical holes. Amazing tee pads, amazing tee signs, amazing course design
Cons: It is really hard to find cons of this place. Other than you would have a hard time playing this place with out a golf cart, I can't say anything bad

5+    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: frizbro
Pros: The Lakeside course is my favorite (although I shoot better on the Creekside course). You must have every shot imaginable to master this course. The best golf experience you can have. Be prepare to stay and play these course more than once.
Cons: A cart is needed. Watch the water on holes 1, 2, 4, 7, & 18.
Other Thoughts: Play the short tees first, then go for the longs.

2-4    7/6/2011   9/17/2011
Review By: DoctorDisc
Pros: Like the Creekside course, this is a tremendous all-around disc golf experience. Long and challenging, even in most cases from the Am pads, the course makes great use of a huge and beautiful piece of private property with lakes, creeks, woods, and rolling hills. It's well-groomed, the pads are long, and the holes are a variety of left, right, open, tight, flat, and hilly. Championship quality in every way. The property owners are very friendly. While it's not cheap to stay and play, my wife and I had an ideal disc golf vacation here, and we'll be back.

1    8/12/2011   9/16/2011
Review By: Kamala
Pros: This is hands-down the finest course I've ever played. In my mind, Hole 7 alone does the trick as it's approach mildly resembles ball-golf's famed 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass. THANK YOU JOHN FOR THIS MASTERFUL LAYOUT! Lakeside is completely different than Creekside and the names certainly hold true. Lots of wooded tunnels with undulating fairways that can really challenge your depth perception. I've never played a course that punishes you for choosing distance over accuracy, from time to time, Lakeside will make you re-think your decision to over-extend your shot. Don't let the "Clubhouse" distract you when your hugging the lake on hole 18 as the facilities here are Grade-A! Definitely stay overnight and play some night golf, NIGHT GOLF-W GOLF CARTS! Lakeside is easier to navigate at night than Creekside; oh and your luck may grant you an extremely comfortable mattress to rest up on and get an early morning round in!
Cons: I live in Austin which is 5 hours away! Bring an extra mud towel if you find yourself on the lake's approximate fringe as your relief is in the water. Bring money to spend at the Pro Shop, throwing over 200ft of water onto hole 7's green could easily get the best of you if you become awe struck. Listen up for them Coyote from afar at night!

B..E..A...utiful!!! So much fun!

2-4    8/15/2011   9/15/2011
Review By: Brucewitte
Pros: Everything! nice teeboxes, very challenging shots, water holes that will make you buy a Wahoo! Seriously buy a Wahoo! Beatiful transitions from lake to woods and then holes with the lake and woods! Really fun! Its a big boy and Creekside is right there with it! I love Lakeside!
Cons: The water is dark so discs go bye bye, the ground in the water is so soft your feet sink in like a sandpit, so don't where your shoes in as mine almost didn't come back out with me.
Other Thoughts: I LOVE THIS PLACE AND BOTH COURSES! Stayed in a little house there for a bachelor party and it was a amazing time! I wish I lived closer!

My favorite Selah course.

1    8/14/2011   9/9/2011
Review By: Nascar Dave
Pros: We played in extreme heat and even though we had golf carts, I was very happy this course was mostly wooded and provided a lot of shade. Even though it is wooded, the fairways were still very fair as long as you only tried to take what the course gave.
This course challenges you to use every shot with distances varying from 890 feet to 213. From Hyzers to Annies, you will use everything in your bag.
This course has the famed Hole 7 which plays along the right side of a lake to an island 890 feet away (or 580') and everyone with the exception of myself was in the water at least once and carded circle eights and nines. BUT, you can card a par five easily enough, and if I could putt, I wouldn't have taken a six.
Cons: A bad tree hit here or there and you could find yourself off the fairway and into the woods but that is really the only con. That and maybe a little water. The only disc I lost in the water was on the last hole of the day, and I just didn't follow through.
Other Thoughts: Next time I go, I may play the shorter tees so I'll get more than five birdies, but these courses I can not adequately describe herein. You must go play them, they are fantastic and I can't wait to play them again.