Fort Snelling, MN
Fort Snelling Share
Uploaded By: Steve West   (Taken 6/2010)
Park Sign

Not What I Was Expecting

1    9/24/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: nbenke
Pros: If you like longer holes with no water hazards, this is your place to go.
Cons: I haven't dealt with too many pay-to-play courses. The ones I have encountered have been my favorite places to play, for the most part. This course was well kept, because it was on a stick course, but it was as boring and simple as a round of disc golf can be. With no major obstacles (other than the tree two feet in front of the tee on either 15 or 16) and no real variations from hole to hole, it just felt like I was throwing the disc as far as I could every single time. If that wasn't bad enough, the course was hard to navigate and several of the pro tees were missing altogether. I'm still baffled that I had to pay for something so poorly kept. I'd rather go to Highland Park, which is basically just half the size of Fort Snelling but free.
Other Thoughts: 18 was an interesting hole to finish off the course. You get a 2 stroke penalty for stepping on any of the greens, and a 2 stroke penalty if you hit or walk in a sand trap and don't rake it. 18 had 4 sand traps, the first being fifty yards directly in front of the tee, and the pin was 20 yards behind a green. My friend and I laughed through the entire hole, still mystified as to why we had to pay to play on a stick course that obviously didn't want any disc golfers.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    7/21/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set on the same land as a 9 hole ball golf course, so there is definitely a chance for interference there! At least nothing else is going on there, I suppose.
- Disc golf takes advantage of trees and woods to make things interesting, as much as possible. There a lot of low ceiling shots off the tee, especially from the golds, like on #3, #4, #13, and a wall of trees to go under or way over on #8. Large, mature trees are used as obstacles as well, like a wall of tall trees on #14, a gap off the tee on #15 and by the basket on #10 and #18. These are in play no matter what type of shot is used.
- Bigger clumps are trees are also used to force a line off the tee, like a RHBH anny shot from #6 and #9, some hyzers from #10, #11, and #13, and some flex shots or flick shots here and there. Some places have denser woods or bushes to capture errant shots as well.
- There some spots with minor elevation changes, like the downhill shot on #1, #11, and a slightly elevated tee on #17. Also a blind shot over a hump and through a gap on #15.
- Excellent variety of hole lengths here, especially with three different sets of tees to choose from. The gold layout provides lots of distance, with TWO holes over 900', one nearly at 700', two over 500', and two more over 400'. And for the most part, they are not mindless open holes; there is some line shaping and hazardous spots, like a golf green on #18 and #2, and trees by the baskets. Multiple basket positions add even more variety.
- Good signs with all distances listed, tees well marked with posts, and good baskets with hole number clearly marked. Navigation is easy with multiple arrows on the previous basket pointing to all three of the next tees. Natural teepads are OK, though some of the golds are getting worn down to dirt.
Cons: - Obvious con here is the presence of a golf course on-site. They have the right-of-way, and the disc golf is definitely a secondary operation. I was lucky enough to play during a thunderstorm, so I had the course to myself.
- Some pretty open land when playing by the ball golf fairways, as ball golfers usually don't care for trees in the middle of their fairways. This just means it is more of a park style course in many spots.
- There are some valleys and similar areas that aren't really used that much, only on #11. It might have messed up the flow, but it was painful to walk around the hilly terrain.
Other Thoughts: - All in all, a pretty fun course that has a wide variety of hole types. There are some pretty straightforward hyzers and anhyzers, some very low ceiling shots, some nasty clumps of trees off the tee and by the baskets, some shorties and some very long bombers. If I played here regularly I would HAVE to learn a roller to get some extra D, and sneak past some of the tighter areas. A great course for beginners, and the gold tees should be a challenge to almost every skill level.

GREAT TIME.

1    6/5/2012   6/6/2012
Review By: Arnie
Pros: Lots of great shots, through trees, around trees and over small mounds. I like #15, because you shot over a small mound and through the trees, into the open. The baskets were easy to spot, with the big signs under them. Also under the baskets were the next Tee box, in the color gold, blue and red.You look for the big Tee sign then you look for the color sticks.Couple of the holes are a short throw, were you could get an ACE. One hole is over a wide dip, and the basket is setting on the slope. If you can throw rollers, you are luckly. A great place for rollers. I love the layout of the course.
Cons: The bugs were bad. It was hard to follow the course at first, but the course map on the score card helped. This was my first time here. You don't need any special throws here, so that part of the game will be hurt.
Other Thoughts: The staff is outstanding, at this course. They were very helpful and super nice. I play at 0630AM, so bring a towel, because the grass is wet. I love watching the airplanes takeoff, right next to the course. Because, you are on an ball golf course, it does seen to be wide open and far. I had no problems with the ball golfers. Over all, I really had a time, even that I shot 9 over from the Blue course. I shall play here again and again.

Golf course disc golf

1    5/19/2012   5/22/2012
Pros: 1) Excellent distance variation on this course with a few short reachable holes, some that will require a drive and an upshot to get close, and some that will take a few drives to get there. I love it when you have to be able to throw everything iny our bag and all shots on one course, and this is one of those courses.

2) This course uses the trees on the golf course very well to define fairways and also provide some obstacles. There are plenty of trees that come into play and that surprised me a little bit, but because this is an old course the trees are mature and can be much more of an impact. The design did a lot of running between golf fairways or crossing golf fairways so you start in the trees and end in the trees on the other side of the golf fairway. This is essential to being a well designed course on a golf course.

3) The design of this course does not surprise me in the least . . . Steve West is a ver analytical designer and probably did dozens of calculations to figure out specifics of the layout. The course basically plays 18 holes on a 9 hole golf course. While 9 holes of golf typically take 2 to 2 1/2 hours to play 18 holes of disc golf takes somewhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hours. What this tells me is the course was designed specifically to not disturb the golfers on the course. Disc golf is secondary to golf in this world (as it should be because of the costs associated with golf versus disc golf) and they didn't want the golfers to be disturbed or slowed down by disc golfers. If anything . . . the disc golfers should have to wait for golfers. I think there may have actually been room for a few more holes to tighten the gap up since the disc golfers will play much faster than the golfers. We actually had 3 disc golfers (2 rec or lower level and 1 intermediate level) and we were holding up the 2-some of golfers behind us for the first 4 golf holes, but eventually we pulled away. If the golf group were to have been a 4-some we never would have slowed them down except on the first hole.

4) Nice powder coated baskets with Blue and Yellow. They catch well and look great.

5) Nice # sign attached to the basket at basket level. It does not affect play at all but is very helpful to decipher what basket you are supposed to throw at. You can easily see the # on the sign from most of the tees (except the really long ones). This helps navigation and also speeds up the disc golfers.

6) Recycled plastic posts mark the tees and a color coded per each tee. There are also two small discs inserted into the ground to mark the tee area. They are also color coded so you know what tee you are on.

7) Incredibly nice looking signs (Equivalent to the nicest golf signs I have ever seen). They are made from the recycled plastic and show the Hole #, Par, and Distance of each hole (albeit it in yards and not feet). No map of the holes unfortunately but do the job for sure.

8) Some nice rolling elevation changes on this course.

9) Using the golf fairways is a way to get more distance if you know how to throw rollers. Since I learned the roller I have always wanted to throw rollers on a lush golf fairway, unfortunately I forgot my roller disc at home on this trip. Ahh what could have been.

9) Dual pins on the entire course to cut down on wear and also change up the variety of the shots from time to time. I like this idea for functionality as well as variety.

10) Low branches on the trees might be considered a hinderance to golfers, but they act to force really tight low shots or force you to go out and around trees. There might be more options if the branches were ever limbed up, but I like that it forces you to really think.

11) Carts are available and a beer cart on occasion. What more could you ask for on a disc golf course. . . oh yeah a nice clubhouse with refreshments afterwards. Check!

12) $5 to play is a deterrant to the douchiest of disc golfers which is good. I am all for it if it means we can have more courses and a better variety of courses to play!

13) Next tee signs hanging from the underside of the baskets . . . and they have one for each tee and are color coded!!! Awesome

14) Mandos are used well to protect golf greens, the safety of the golfers and the disc golfers, and are appropriate when used. They are not shown on the course, but they are discussed on the

15) Scorecards!!!!

Cons: 1) While the design incorporated most of the trees well, I still prefer more wooded courses or at least more variety of the density of the woods. Here it is what I would consider mostly open with a smattering of trees.

2) No maps on the course signs. Always a negative in my mind even if the signs are super nice. I like to see the general layout of each hole before throwing.

3) It might be considered a little dangerous with golfers and disc golfers intermingling. We had two balls come very close to us, one from the group behind us playing golf not waiting long enough fo us to leave Our green area, which was off in the rough so they probably couldnt even see us, and another from a group on an adjacent holes hat missed their fairway and ended up in between two golf fairways right where our basket was. I would hate to think a golf or disc golfer would ever get really hurt out here for fear the course might be shut down. This is something I am going to address in my designs on golf courses and having a decade of experience on golf course management and being a pretty good golfer will help me to be sure to avoid the common spray areas of the golf ball as well as the discs.

4) Grass tees are always a negative, but they picked flat and level spots at least. They are in perfect condition which means this course is not played all that often. Considering we were the only disc golfers at 7:30 on a saturday morning mixed with only 20 golfers I would guess this is a perfect place to intermingle disc golf with golf.

5) Technicality is missing on many holes. Just throw your longest drive whatever direction you want and then approach from there. I played the blues, so maybe the reds would have been more technical for me and the golds would have simply added longer throws and distance to the blue tees, it wouldnt have altered the holes much.
Other Thoughts: This is now my third disc golf course set on a golf course that I have played. The first two were closed to golfers when we played so some issues are non-existant at that time, but when intermingling disc golf with golf has its ups and downs. I hope to account for all of these things in my disc golf course designs.

Decent shared course

1    11/30/2011   11/30/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course shares space with a golf course, so it's beautifully manicured and nicely taken care of. Carts are available, which is always a fun bonus. Big arms will find lots of opportunities to open up here and throw for distance, and the short mowed grass makes for great rollers. There are three sets of tees for different level players, all are fairly long for their respective player levels but the shorter tees do offer a little less distance.

The available trees are used as much as possible to keep the course from feeling completely wide open, and a few mandos add some difficulty. The tees are grass, but all were level and in pretty good shape. The basket numbers were large enough to see from the tees, even on the longer holes, and the next tee arrows are helpful. There is a course map and scorecard available in the clubhouse.
Cons: The difficulty here comes primarily from distance, it's definitely not a technical course at all and can feel a bit repetitive at times. Many of the tees are difficult to find, even with the map and next tee arrows, the carts make it a little less annoying to have to search for them, but it still adds a little extra time and frustration to the round. Golfers have the right of way, so you'll need to keep an eye out ahead and behind your group.
Other Thoughts: As shared courses go, this one tries really hard to keep from being totally one dimensional. The available obstacles were used well, but it still feels mostly like a bomber course with just a few holes requiring interesting lines. Beginners will find even the shorter tees a little long and frustrating. More experienced players who want to test their distance will find some challenges here, but there are other parts of your game that you'll need to find challenges for elsewhere.

Bombs Away!

1    11/15/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: J Blaze
Pros: -Pin numbers on baskets really helped for my first time, nice idea
-Long course
-Not too much rough to deal with at all
-Great course for "big" arms, specifically from Gold tees
Cons: -No elevation changes at all, really
-Windy as hell
-Not too much rough to deal with
--Tough to get birdies: Long Holes and Very windy up by airport, so when you do nail drives, your 20 foot putt is that much more difficult
Other Thoughts: Like I rated it, it is a good course, pretty challenging and deep..just kind of blah.....took me an hour and 20 minutes to play by myself from the Gold Tees, so even though it's long, you can get in and out pretty quick....I live very close to it and considering some of the other courses in the area, I would say I might play here 2-3 times a year. So, not mind blowing by any means.

From here on out I leave the amount of time it takes me to play courses in my review...I find that to be one of the most useful tools for someone like me, who likes to try new places or go to old, "if I have an extra hr or two" to drop in.

Very little value here

1    10/15/2011   10/15/2011
Review By: bigbeano
Pros: -Longest course in the Twin Cities
-Baskets are new and very nice
-Large number signs on each basket that are visible from the tees so you know which basket you're throwing to
-It's on a golf course so the grounds are obviously well manicured
-Nice scorecards
-If you're interested power carts are available
-Clubhouse has food and beverages
Cons: -It's on a golf course so you have to yield to ball golfers (and watch out so you don't get killed by a golf ball)
-There is nothing but distance here, no technical shots are required at any point
-The mandos are poorly labeled and pretty much pointless
-The tees can be extremely difficult to find despite the fact there are tee signs and arrows pointing towards the tee from the previous basket
-It's right next to the airport so it's constantly loud
-There is very little to stop the wind from whipping around, and trust me it does. There were gusts pushing 25-30 MPH consistently during the round and there were no trees to stop it.
Other Thoughts: There were only a couple of ball golfers out on the course during my round, however we still almost got hit by one of their drives. It literally went right through the tee box and would've hit me if I had been teeing off; of course they didn't yell "fore" either so it really just seemed like they could've cared less. Even if the rest of the course was awesome (which it was not), I still would not come back here because of this safety issue.
Despite the scorecard having a decent map, arrows pointing to the next tee from the baskets, stakes in the ground where the tees are, and signage at the tees we still had a very difficult time finding some of the tees. We were playing the golds, and we had to tee off from the blues a couple of times because we could not find the gold tees. This is simply unacceptable for a pay-to-play course. If I'm paying money to play at a course it needs to have adequate navigation.
There's a handful of mandos on the course, but they are so poorly labeled and pointless it doesn't add any technicality to the course. This is another area where this course fails; it has nothing but distance. The land is absolutely flat with no elevation changes, trees are only really even in play on a couple of holes, and there is not really any water in play even though there is a one pond on the property. If you want to air it out and it doesn't matter if you throw it straight, then by all means come here because it really doesn't matter if your throw is not on a line here.
Also of note, the pay to play was $5.30. Not an even $5 or $3 like all the other ones I can think of; so don't come here with just a $5 bill.
To conclude, I am glad I came here because it's a new course and I'm always down for trying a new course; but it literally stops at that point. This course has very little redeeming value and I highly doubt I'll be coming back. If I really want to air out some drives I'd rather go to Hyland Hills or The Valley or just about anywhere else.

Bring the long game

1    10/6/2011   10/6/2011
Review By: EpicScientist
Pros: -This course has some LONG holes. I'm talking 300 YARDS long. Which for being a metro course (the only other I know of being Wabun...which isn't long in the least)
-Very nicely maintained. Next to no litter.
-Nice baskets with soft chains
-A proshop with all you need. Beer, soda, snacks, discs, and an awesome old guy who will piss the breeze for as long as you want.
-The format is a change of pace. You play alongside stick golfers most of the time. And while most would think this is a deterrent, I found most of the golfers to be very amenable and friendly to us discers.
Cons: -WINDY. As I come from North Dakota, I know wind. And if you get the cross winds from the open airfield right next door, it makes for a pretty tough round. I used my Nuke OS and Groove on just about every hole.
-Not overly challenging. Not alot of elevation change (though they make use of what they do have nicely) and a good portion of the wholes are right around 100 yds.
-No tee pads. I normally don't have much of an issue with this. I'm not a stickler when it comes to pads as long as what's there isn't wrecked. It makes for a very interesting long game when you're trying to get some power in the legs.
Other Thoughts: My biggest complaint is that I lost my phone. And that's not the courses fault. It's just a bummer. Anyways, despite that I had a great time here. If you live in the downtown metro or close to it, this is probably your best option that's somewhat close. I usually play Acorn in Roseville, but I'll be making alot more trips here. Like I said, the dudes in the proshop are cool as hell and you don't get a whole lot of riff-raff from snobby golfers or immature discers.

A Nice Idea, Poor Execution

1    8/11/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: coolbrees15
Pros: Fort Snelling is a well-maintained disc golf course. The fairways on the course were excellent and finding your disc was always fairly easy to do. In addition, the course really demanded distance on your throws and provided some of the longest holes in the Twin Cities. The baskets are in excellent condition and were fairly easy to spot. The scorecard provided a nice map of the entire course. For me there were not a lot of pros to this course. The faults just kept rearing their ugly head and kept lessening the disc golf experience.
Cons: Fort Snelling has many faults. While the idea of incorporating a disc golf course on to a ball golf course is not bad in theory the execution here was poor. Almost every hole on the course played either down or across the ball golf fairways. This is not a good thing. Multiple ball golfers did not wait for us to clear the hole before taking their shot and we had more than one ball land within 10 feet of us. I have played other ball golf courses that have incorporated disc golf into and all of them did a better job of placing the disc golf course as not to interfere with the ball golfers.

When we played there were little to no signage. The tees are not clearly marked and the only identifying mark is to small circles in the color of the tee you are playing placed in the ground. This lead to us spending a great deal of time looking at the map and going the tee should be somewhere around here.

The tees are grass, which in my book is a negative. While the grass was well kept, it did not provide the best footing for throwing. This was especially true with the length of the holes. You really had to rip it on several of the holes and there was just enough dew on the grass to make this a risky proposition.

While the baskets were easy to spot to many times more than one basket was clearly visible from the tee. This lead to pulling out the map and going which basket is it? Nothing frustrates a round more than nailing a great drive to what you believed to be the correct basket and than walking up to it and realizing that it is not the correct basket.

I also though the overall design of the course was poor. Almost all of the shots were basically just rip it as far as you can and as straight as you can. There was not any real need for shaping shots just chuck it hard and even if you are off on the accuracy, there was no real punishment.
Other Thoughts: I found the course to be lacking in anything that would keep me coming back. Other than distance, there was no real challenge to the course. While I applaud the city for trying to create a disc golf course on a ball golf course I do not feel this course should be there after playing it. The course is poorly laid out and creates a safety hazard for disc golfers. In addition due to the way the course is laid out there is a lot of congestion and long waits will occur. The waits are not caused by other disc golfers but are instead caused by waiting for the ball golfers to finish up a hole.

Looking for a wonderful laid back round?

1    9/7/2011   9/7/2011
Review By: frylock
Pros: ~This course is a laid on top of a beautiful 9 hole ball golf course, making for very upkept terrain. Awesome fairways.
~Even with all the openness the trees were still very much in play.
~Great use of the mandos
~Even though there are no concrete tees I had no problem driving out there
Cons: ~No concrete tees
~Signage measured in yards (not that big of a deal)
~Can be a little confusing to navigate
~You have to pay $5 per round
Other Thoughts: Be sure to bring your drivers because you'll be letting them rip allllllll day. Be sure to respect the ball golfers as they respected us very much.