Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #14
Hole #14 Tee: A long straight drive uphill across this valley. This is one of the few 'wide' fairways for a big drive.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Richmond Hill

1    8/27/2016   9/2/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has turf tee pads

Has tee signs

Has many benches throughout course

Has multiple basket placements for most holes

More wooded than open fairways - which will be challenging to the casual player

Most holes have changes in elevations - some have a steep grade with wooded steps serving as a nice touch

Most of the holes are under shade where this can be really appreciated in the hot and humid summers

Nice split of the front and back nines in case you want to start on hole #10 (that comes in handy when there's a large group teeing off on hole#1)

Porta potty

Free Parking
Cons:
Needs next tee signs (had to consult the course map for a few times)

Turf tee pads needed cleaning

Some grassy areas needed mowing at holes #1, #13, & #18
This is a nice challenging course that I enjoyed playing while visiting Asheville. This course is pretty solid and will require a variety of shots to shoot a low score. The course is scenic and well established with no shortage of trees and a good amount of shade. Fairways are tight enough here where you will need some control on your drive to avoid hitting a tree and deflecting across a ravine. As others have posted, this course is a workout so make sure you're in shape and have good shoes. I understood why this course would attract a lot of players so I went early Saturday morning around 8am to get a good head start and therefore didn't have to wait on anyone. I definitely recommend playing if you're in the area.

Great course!

1    8/15/2016   8/15/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Challenging lines, elevation, uphill shots, downhill shots, and a really beautiful park. It's a fun place to go play if you are in Asheville, definitely worth the trip.
Cons: I think the local club could probably do a little bit of chain sawing to make a couple of the fairways a little bit more accessible. And the Lord help us all, please poison the poison ivy! They can also stand to put in some "next hole "signs.
Other Thoughts: The course was kind of messy, it needed mowing and the tee boxes are in need of new turf. I think they must have had a storm recently because the tea boxes were basically mud and turf mashed together.

Good but not great

1    2/27/2016   2/27/2016
Review By: Rosco
Pros: The front Nine were very fun, and had variety. 6th basket is over 10 ft high from the back and has a small step up to the front nicely designed. Each of the front 9 seems to be well thought out and are very enjoyable. 1-9 start and loop back to the lot and 10-18 do the same. bathrooms for players is a nice plus, and the parking is ample. Good elevation changes.
Cons: I was not impressed with the back 9 much at all. its just weaving back and forth acrosss the very large ravine. Two shots like this would have been plenty, but 4 or 5 of them doing the exact same thing got old quickly. Especially if you have some shots that dont go your way. You can end up in a big struggle to get back on track. We played in late winter conditions so vegetation was down. I can imagine it to be much worse in the other seasons
Other Thoughts: If you find yourself in Asheville, a wonderful town, definitely give Richmond Hills a go, but I would probably play 10-18 first because it can sap your strength if you aren't ready for it. I wouldn't travel more than an hour to play this course as the primary stop on my Disc Golfing road trip.

Epic Setting and Course

1    6/5/2015   9/2/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Some courses just have that unique feel about them that differentiate themselves from any other course out there. Richmond Hill has this feel. You have to drive through a residential area to get there, but once you make the turn into the parking lot the environment changes immediately. This seemed like its own disc golf sub-community set off in the mountains. There's a huge parking lot, practice basket, porta-potty, and bulletin board with a course map and local club info located near the first tee. The course also conveniently winds its way back to the parking lot to make two 9 hole loops.

It plays up, down, and around the mountain through various degrees of woodenness, with bookend holes that play more in the open. Even though you're mostly in the woods, there's a nice variety of really tight shots as well as lines that are more forgiving. There are elevation changes throughout, sometimes subtle and sometimes DRASTIC. The ravine is very cool and offers some truly epic shots, both extreme uphill and extreme downhill throws. Even the more subtle elevation changes cause you to carefully choose your disc, like 13. It doesn't look too scary from the tee, but the green drops off about 15 feet and continues to slope down past the basket. Elevation factors in interesting ways like this throughout the round.

Pin positions are really well thought out, often tucked away in a corner, behind a patch of trees, or located near a scary slope. The baskets are in great shape and the blue rims do a nice job of standing out among the trees. Multiple pin positions do a nice job changing up the shot off the tee and approach.

It's clear that a lot of care has gone into designing and maintaining the course. I couldn't imagine trying to create and carve holes on this type of land - well done. Great efforts have been made to build the tee areas and steps that help you get around, without which it would be very hard to navigate through. There are 'next tee' arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Plenty of mandos and double mandos make things interesting. 18 is a great finishing hole in that while it's more open, you have to hit one of two sharp lines. Both of which can easily fade way down over the hill. What an awesome view from there too.
Cons: There's not much wrong with the course, as long as you like this type of setting. I really enjoyed my round but must take into consideration that the course offers a pretty specific type of round. Not everyone would enjoy playing here with the combo of some really tight lines and drastic elevation changes.

Even with the steps there are still times where footing is kind of sketchy, particularly if you land on a slope near the ravine. I'm sure it gets very slick after rain. The worn in tee pads also can be a little uncomfortable. They are big enough but the carpet was slippery at times. There are sometimes steep slopes at the end of the tee too, so you don't want to slip off past the end.

The fairways are very well maintained, but the rough gets thick in places.

When we pulled into the parking lot, I said, "There's no way all those cars are here for the course." Sure enough, there were just that many people playing. Definitely one of the more crowded courses that I've ever played. Be prepared to get stuck behind multiple groups. Though, it's very cool to see such a dedicated disc golf community.
Other Thoughts: I can see why Richmond Hill was ranked so high back in the early years of DGCR, it's definitely a unique course with a faithful following. I would love to have this as my home course and appreciated the balance of difficulty. You're bound to hit a few - or maybe a lot of - trees and fade further down a slope than you intended, but recovery is fair and the holes aren't too brutal. This is a course you have to play if you're in the region.

Nicely done

1    9/3/2014   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
This review was updated on 9/23/2015
Pros: many uphill/downhill shots
mostly wooded
defined fairways
free to play
challenging
very clean
Cons: navigation

Other Thoughts: This course was very fun to play and you are rewarded greatly after a good drive. Elevation change on just about every hole, tight fairways so accuracy is very important. I have never played a course like this and I highly recommend this course to everyone.

Traveling in Asheville

1    4/25/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: deadheadmon
Pros: Lots of different lines possible on many holes.
Good but not overkill use of mandos.
Challenging without being punishing for a casual/amateur.
Cons: Blind tee shots require some scouting for a first timer.
Poison ivy was out in force all around the course.
Course was a bit backed up on a Sunday, a few large groups.
Other Thoughts: Played this course on a weekend trip to Asheville. It is not to be missed for disc golfers in the area! I met some chill local players on hole 5 or so who helped me navigate the course. A real WNC winner!

I like it!

2-4    10/8/2014   10/8/2014
Review By: Jackattack828
This review was updated on 10/11/2014
Pros: It has some nice and long holes. Good mix of downhill, uphill and flat. I think it's good for both beginners and experts. It's a good, hard course that will definitely help anyone and everyone's skills. Always see people there practicing and playing.
Cons: Not enough mix of wooded to unwooded. Sorta hard to find the tees from the hole sometimes. Going back and forth from one hill to the other on like 13-16 was sorta rough. Some places are very heavily wooded and finding a frisbee in those places can be very difficult.
Other Thoughts: I like it. I havnt really been to much in the area yet but I like it so far!

Mt. Awesome

2-4    7/13/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Richmond Hill is off the chain! 100% what you would expect from a town like Asheville. Heavy trees + heavy elevation = exceptional disc golfing. The first and last holes are not typical of this equation. The magic is in the middle. I love the elements an mixture of looks you see on this course.

All of the equipment is fine. Blue rims on the Innova baskets are different and cool. Tees all have signs and only one box per hole. There are multiple pin placements for many holes, mostly in the shortest one when I last played. Good benches on all holes. A lot of nice work with stairs, bridges, and landscaping to make the course easier to traverse.

I won't give a hole by hole breakdown, or bore you with the details of my round. Too many highlights to describe. Expect to be challenged on almost every hole. Number 5 is the prototype for my favorite kind of hole, and there are several variations similar to it on this course. Elevated tee over a fairway that drops steeply and climbs the opposite side of the valley to the target. Numerous trees force accuracy and separate great drives from bogies. One cool feature I haven't seen anywhere else is the mirror hung in the tree behind the 6th tee, enabling you to see the basket standing on the box. Although it was disorienting, and on a short hole so you don't have to walk far to leave the blind spot, but still unique. 9 is another gem crossing the valley the opposite, then 10 turns you around to do it again, but further up the incline. A true beast. I also liked 14 a lot. There are really no bad holes here, with good variety of distances, types of throws, elevation change in a forested setting.
Cons: If you're looking for reasons to disparage the course you'll have to read other reviews. I have none. I guess the tees could be improved, but the decking with rubber mats/outdoor carpeting that is in place was fine to me. Carrying concrete up those slopes would not be fun. If you don't like hiking up and down steep inclines, this may not be the place for you.
Other Thoughts: All I can say is I strongly recommend Richmond Hill, and if you have the chance go play it. The course speaks for itself. I had some trouble finding center on several of the fairways, but made some good saves, and wound up 4 over par on my second visit here. Also had my share of great throws that are so satisfying on a course like this. A very cool course that it worth the physical exertion and frustration you will likely encounter. Reminds me of East Roswell Park near ATL enough for comparison purposes.

Disc golf nirvana

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: lohroffc
Pros: The best disc golfing experience I have had to date. I absolutely love this course. Lots of challenging shots with legitimate rewards for execution. Tree are sparse enough that a well placed shot can be executed... not the chuck and luck that many wooded courses offer.

Multiple pin possibilities allow for lots of variability. Given that I'm from out of town I won't get the benefit of this, but for locals this would be a huge advantage.
Cons: Lots of poison ivy. Make sure you are careful when are looking for your errant throws and wash yourself and your discs when you are done.

Course navigation can be a challenge. There are a few holes with "next" markers but make sure you take a picture of the overview map before starting your round... you will use it often.
Other Thoughts: So much fun! I tee off before 7 am on a Saturday morning and didn't encounter any other players. It took me about 2 hours to play and that included 2 fairly long disc searching sessions, one of which was unfruitful.

Excellent, fun, hilly and challenging.

1    10/5/2013   6/1/2014
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Well-thought out holes. Well-maintained course. Lots of variety and challenge while not being frustrating. Very friendly locals.
Cons: None I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I played this over a year ago so my recall is hazy, but I do know I loved playing this course even though I played like crap. The course asked for more than I was ready for that day! Good mix of challenge and fun, leaning towards the challenge side. I do recall some confusion on hole-to-tee navigation a few times.

All I can say is a year later, I may not remember if the course even had tee signs but I do know I want to play it the next time I am in Asheville.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10