Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #15 (Taken 1/2010)
3 / 326ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #15 Basket (Short Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Excellent, fun, hilly and challenging.

1    10/5/2013   6/1/2014
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Well-thought out holes. Well-maintained course. Lots of variety and challenge while not being frustrating. Very friendly locals.
Cons: None I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I played this over a year ago so my recall is hazy, but I do know I loved playing this course even though I played like crap. The course asked for more than I was ready for that day! Good mix of challenge and fun, leaning towards the challenge side. I do recall some confusion on hole-to-tee navigation a few times.

All I can say is a year later, I may not remember if the course even had tee signs but I do know I want to play it the next time I am in Asheville.

One of the best in Western NC

5+    2/23/2014   4/30/2014
Review By: Dusty Shackleford
Pros: This design is the epitome of a course that is challenging while still being fair. There is a lot of variation between the holes, even though the course is entirely wooded (with the exceptions of 1 and 18). The designers made excellent use of the terrain, with varying elevation changes throughout the round. Errant shots will have consequences when you find yourself deep in the woods, but the fairways are large enough for semi-accurate drives. Also, this course is maintained with plenty of signage, benches, and minimal litter.
Cons: Even though this course has a great design, I prefer more of a balance between wooded and open holes. So many of the holes cross back and forth over the ravine, and it seems a bit repetitive.
Other Thoughts: Richmond Hill is without a doubt the most elite course in Asheville. It's no fault of the course, but this place gets way too crowded! Several times I've left mid-round because the pace of play was so slow. If it's a nice afternoon and you're playing by yourself or a group of two, good luck finishing in less than two hours. There is a large population of golfers in the area, and the city should seriously consider adding at least another course.

From Asheville With Care

1    11/9/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There are a few basic reasons for a course to be considered amongst the elite. The natural terrain could be so fantastic that you could throw up baskets anywhere and the course would scream to be thrown on. It could have a killer design and impress with the creator's genius. It could also be how well the course is cared for. That attention to detail and dedication to maintenance. Now, Richmond Hill may have some quality terrain, especially that valley that runs through half the course. It also boasts a quality design, with memorable holes that take full advantage of the terrain. But where the Asheville course stands above the rest is that third category. From the the first hole, it is obvious how much is put into these fairways.

Unless this is the first review of Richmond Hill that you have read, you know about the valley. Four holes cross this valley, each an incredible shot from high on one side to high on the other. Tremendous reward if you make it across. Great risk if you don't, because if you end up on the bottom, it isn't likely you can get up in just one throw. Fantastic natural landforms. But these holes aren't nearly as playable without the hundreds of steps carved into the sides of the valley because the players, unlike the discs, can't fly across the gap.

Beyond the valley shots, there are some fantastic uphill lines that are made all the better by a lattice of logs, keeping rollaways from rolling too far away, and helping the new players keep their cool on some difficult holes. My favorite hole might be 16, in which after descending to the valley floor, the hole follows the valley as it climbs oh-so-gradually towards 18s top-of-the-world viewpoint. It's great and made all the better by the complete lack of brush creeping into the low-lying area. There's plenty of brush at Richmond Hill but thanks to what I assume must be absurd maintenance, it stays where it should be and the often generous fairways remain free for play.
Cons: While the first two valley shots were perfect, the second two would be better off with a few trees removed. There is just not big enough a window to reliably make it across and it would be nice if somewhere along that gap, there was a specific aiming point to ensure landing on the other side. Maintain the risk/reward factor but take away some of the chance for bad luck to knock a good drive to the bottom of the ravine.

There also seems to be an excess of straight shots, though different basket positions might have changed that. I used my straightest driver for a majority of the holes and a little more left and right action would be welcome.
Other Thoughts: Asheville seems like a place that would have a ton of disc golf courses but it really doesn't so I would be recommending this course even if it was mediocre. Richmond Hill is not mediocre. It's a well-kept gem of a course over some pretty terrain with a ton of elevation and some memorable holes. It's also that rare course that could be enjoyed by people of any skill level. Beginners can play here without feeling overwhelmed but vets should find challenge here too. If you're in the area for any length of time, you really need to get out there.

The valley through the middle of the course is the hero!

1    9/6/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Off the beaten path, very worthwhile 18-holer in Asheville
+ Fun hike featuring many scenic, dynamic throws over a valley
+ In fact, a highlight of the course is definitely the dynamic hole layouts and terrain: island greens, hillside pins, up and downhill valley shots, tight woods, gnarly roughness
+ Well-defined lines with a mix of tree coverage and moderate to thick bushes
+ Very visible baskets: blue Discatchers > yellow or Chainstars
+ Not overly challenging first round with pins in a mix of short/long spots
+ Lots of logs and steps to help prevent rollaways and to keep stable footing when climbing up and down the hills
+ Although I did see a little poison ivy/oak (might help to review how to identify), we wore shorts and didn't have a problem
+ Great wood chipped holes #1 and #18 (really liked 18 as the hilltop finish)
+ Busy, but not crowded
+ Great parking/portapotties on site
Cons: - Lots of straight shots with baskets in full view
- No directional signage (sometimes really needed), especially for navigation from 6 to 7 and 13 to 14
- Some of the slipperiest tee pads I've ever thrown from
- Only one basket in place for each hole in a random short or long position
- I liked the simple painted log tee signs way better than the full color printouts
- Short pin locations really minimized the risk vs reward
Other Thoughts: We decided to add Richmond Hill into our last day in Asheville and we were very happy we did. Even after two full days of hiking, this hilly course was exactly the right amount of challenge for my wife and I. Although, there were a couple holes my wife didn't want to throw because she was nervous about the reports of poison ivy/oak (#7 especially, but #13 short as well), she didn't really have any problems throwing the rest. For a quick take-home message, I have to say that Richmond Hill was a highlight of the city of Asheville itself, one that I would consider a must for any visiting disc golfer no matter their skill level.

In terms of scoring, you'll enjoy the round most if you plan accordingly. As an intermediate level thrower, I threw two over par on my first round here with the pins in their current locations. I think perhaps the short position of the pins reduced the challenge a lot. I brought my full bag, but only threw three discs the entire round. My advice for other first time visitors (like we were) is to bring stable to understable discs and throw straight and safe. The holes aren't very long even with the pins in the long positions and even on the two(?) that hit 400' you'll benefit greatly from just keeping your throws as straight as can be. You'll also benefit from not having to navigate around what might or might not be poison ivy/oak.

I have to agree with the reviews saying the tee pads are a bummer. I would rather throw from natural tees than the turf tees, which were slippery even though they were dry. The tee boxes themselves are very nice, so if there is one way this course could be greatly improved, it would be by pouring concrete tees. I'm also a big stickler for directional signage. If it's not obvious which direction to walk, put up a small arrow please :) #7 is straight behind #6's basket in line with the fairway, and #14 backtracks to the right a little. I do see arrows in pictures here on DGCR, but didn't see them in person. Anyway, there are two types of tee signs here, maybe half were full color and kind of cluttered, and the other half were minimalistic. Just a cut log with the hole #, distances, and intended lines/pins painted in white. I liked the minimal tee signs better.

There's an awesome valley running through here and the slight elevation change it gives the terrain is the biggest hero for Richmond Hill. As a whole, the course plays slightly downhill at the beginning, then slightly uphill at the end, with back and forth valley shots sprinkled in the middle (the hikes down, up, and back down again were a nice little workout). I did miss throwing dramatically uphill and downhill, though. The throws over the valley are basically straight across. I suppose if you hit a tree in the middle of the valley you'll get that kind of throw, though. I didn't pay much attention to the distances on the tee signs, but the valley holes are a lot shorter than they look. Also, it's good to note how much we liked that the holes in the middle play back up towards the parking lot (and portapotties). Considering the overall flow, Richmond Hill is a breeze to play. We were surprised how quickly we got to #18.

All that said, labeling Richmond Hill a "mountain course" hypes its size and difficulty unnecessarily. And you can't see the surrounding mountains from anywhere on the course. The course does shine with a charming taste of the hills of the Appalachian Mountains, but it's not huge or extreme the way "mountain" implies. Especially after you go out for some of the hiking that Pisgah National Forest has to offer. Anyway, even though you can throw straight and score low, the diverse use of the terrain and valley was awesome and memorable and would prompt me to play this course again on a return visit instead of hitting any of the other much lower rated 6, 9, or 18 hole courses around Asheville.

Thanks for reading!

Hiking meets disc golf...perfect combo

1    11/23/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Excellent course. It was nice to see many disc golfers out and enjoying the course. Often when I play, I'll have the course to myself mostly. My wife and I played this course on our way to SC and GA for a road trip which involved a ton of disc golf ;-) Richmond Hills was one of our favorites because it seemed to have more elevation change than we've played yet, (was a great mix of hiking and disc golf) and all of the signage, tee boxes, benches and baskets were in excellent shape. I would highly recommend this course to anyone visiting the Smokey Mountain area....it will definitely put your skills to the test!
Cons: A couple of holes seemed nearly impossible to make par (to me).... and seemed to depend more on luck than skill to have even a shot at par.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely love to play this course again if in the area.

Hope you like wooded holes!

5+    10/10/2012   10/26/2012
Review By: JimDK27
Pros: -Multiple pins! I don't think I have played this course twice in a row where the pins were in the same place.
-They have new signs that show the different pins and the footage.
-The tee pads are nice but there is a problem I'll address in the cons.
-It is laid out like a traditional golf course where the front nine and back nine start very close to each other, so if there looks like a large group teeing off on hole one you can start on hole 10
-Nice, light blue Innova Discatchers
-Not too difficult to navigate by yourself but I would still suggest a guide if there isn't a group ahead of you that you can keep up with
-A great mix of elevation and distances throughout the course
-Nice stairs on the steeper parts of the course.
Cons: -There are a lot of muddy areas if has rained much any time fairly recent
-The tee pads can be very slick even if hasn't rained very much at all, so do a mock run up if you think they may be wet (I have about slid off the front of the tee pads a few times)
-There is a walking trail mingled in with a few of the holes, so keep that in mind and watch for non disc golfers
Other Thoughts: I like the challenge this course provides. If you don't have consistent accuracy you will start working on it after playing this course a few times. You will also get worn out if you aren't used to hiking up hills on every other hole. There has been some vandalism on the mirror on hole 6. If you haven't played before, you can look at a mirror behind the tee on hole 6 to see if the basket is clear. It is still usable, but it ticks me off that some punk would do this.

I feel that I rated this course a little higher than I normally would, but there is not much of the course that is shared with something else in the park. I can really only think of 1 or 2 holes that the trail is in play. I really like courses that I don't have to worry about throwing into pedestrian areas. That adds another half to full point in how I rate courses.

Play disc golf while you hike!

1    5/28/2012   6/10/2012
Review By: WreckDirector
Pros: Nice tee pads, challenging even for the best of players, lots of change in elevation and different looks at the baskets, *if you enjoy hiking then this is the best of both worlds as you will be climbing up and down many steep hills throughout the wooded course.
Cons: Almost too challenging for scratch players, course was somewhat hard to find, even with course map some holes were difficult to find, *if you are not a fan of hiking then you may hate this course as it requires lots of trekking up and down steep hills throughout.
Other Thoughts: Overall interesting course as it provides a very tough challenge. I would not take a newcomer here for their first time as I could see them getting discouraged quick. I would also recommend using the premium plastics here as your cheaper plastics will get dinged up pretty quick due to the amount of trees on this course.

Great course, best in Asheville

1    5/16/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: skottyb
Pros: Nice course, good location as It's not far from downtown, definitely the signature course Of Asheville. Great elevation changes throughout, you must hit the gaps tO score well. Lots of subpar 300 ft holes with very tight fairways. Great baskets and easily visible once you spot them. Big ups to the volunteerism, it truly is the sport of disc golf, great mulch job On a lot of holes, could only imagine how long that took.
Cons: Tee pads, the turf is nice unless it's worn and covered with mud, scary footing, but after knowing how much rain they get every year what can you do. Just have you learn to throw 1-2 step. I had trouble fInding the pin location so I had to walk the hole before I threw it, should mark the location on the sign with a colored nut and bolt.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely play another if I had the time.

Gotta Play this one

1    2/18/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: Dale W
Pros: Carved out of the mountain itself, this course has something for everyone. Mostly very techincal, there are a couple holes that are wide open. And even the technical holes are somewhat forgiving if you misplace a shot with a line to throw. Excellent sinage at the astro-turf covered tee boxes. Benches on every hole. All the locals were very friendly.
Cons: A little difficult to find initially, but well worth the seach. A few of the climbs through the valleys could use a little bit of care.
Other Thoughts: One of the most (maybe THE most) senic courses I have played. If you are afraid of heights or not in decent shape, this course may not be for you. The valley shots were amazing (and a little maddening when my disc would roll to the bottom). If you are anywhere within 200 miles you need to make the trip.

1    12/4/2011   3/9/2012
Review By: parTake30
Pros: this course was a huge breath of fresh air from brevard college, which is where i always play, cus im right down the road. this course is challenging. it is heavily wooded, the holes are well marked, and the course is layed out very nicely. i havnt played many courses that you have to use a large arsenal of shots, so this is a fun course.
Cons: for me, its tough cus im used to a wide open course and not having to make many technical shots. there were a lot of people on the course, including joggers, bikers, and hikers. so just watch before you throw.

< Prev 1 2 3 4