Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #5
4 / 343ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Basket (Short Position)

Asheville at its Finest

5+    9/27/2008   4/27/2009
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: A great example of Disc Golf in the Appalachians. Interesting Turf T Pads. Lots of Elevation and deep woods mean you got to be on it. Very Beautiful Course
Cons: There is a deep valley that runs through this course and a few holes. The valley gets traversed (in the same way) a few too many times. No use of off camber shots that help define Mountain Golf. Just down and back up the same thing the same way.
Other Thoughts: Great Course!!! Beautiful all the time and in the fall you will be blown away. Way to go Asheville....I also liked the original Richmond Hill to bad its gone, the two next to each other would have made an amazing destination.

A- = Perfection!.....with a few blemishes

2-4    6/17/2008   4/23/2009
Pros: I do not have any course preview details to add so this is what I personally like and how this course stacks up against that:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+ (Many great holes, but things seem a little too vanilla compared to the potential.)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A- (Many great holes, but too many "tweener" holes for me - birdies impossible, par boring, bogey a downer)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A- (Too many fairways are either too wide or do not have a shape that seemed to fit the flight path of a disc. I think opportunity was missed to make some really awe-inspiring holes based on the available terrain. Instead of awe-inspiring and unique, to many holes are merely good to great holes).
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+ (Seclusion level is awesome! Beauty however, is disappointing. Maybe it is unfair to compare to the old course, but that course had streams, lots of deciduous stands, ferns, etc. The new layout is all in pine forest - much more drab.)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Cons: My review sucks. I _really_ wish I could give an A+ to the course rather than the A- I gave. The area, the great folks of Asheville, the work involved to install the course, the unique Asheville touch of the tee signs, etc deserve that. Gotta be honest though.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

A Real Workout - Difficult Course

1    4/17/2009   4/22/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: In a beautiful setting in the mountains of western Carolina. Lots of elevation changes. Provides a great workout, although you will be trekking up and down all day. This is a difficult course that will challenge even the best players. Almost all holes are wooded (save 1 and 18), and EXTREMELY narrow. Cousre is not tremendously long, but plenty long given the narrowness of the fairways. Course is very well marked, and you will see all kinds of necessary improvements to the land, mostly stairs to help you get up and down. Really friendly locals. I was there on a Friday, and a vendor was set up in the parking lot selling all things DG. Close to I-240, good for a road trip stop.
Cons: You don't really get any mountain vistas until 18 as you are in thick woods. Many of the holes seem to go back and forth over the same ravine. Multiple pin positions, but I could rarely tell from the tee which one we were playing. One tee per hole, covered in astroturf - slippery when wet. Tees not particularly long, so if you like a run up, you're in trouble. Parking lot vendor told me they have lots of poison ivy in the summer (its the course logo), although I had no problem in April. This is a very challenging course, not good for beginners, or if you're looking for an ego builder. I felt like I was throwing uphill, anhyzers (RHBH) all day - not an easy shot. No real bathrooms on site, only portables.
Other Thoughts: This a very cool, but very difficult course. If any of you out there know East Roswell Park in Atlanta (my home course), think of Richmond Hill as ERP on steroids - longer, narrower, and much greater changes in elevation. I was exhausted after this round. I'm told the vendor is there every Tuesday and Friday. I bought a marker disc with their poison ivy logo.

Extremely well done

1    4/9/2009   4/12/2009
Review By: 12StonesScott
Pros: * Beautiful setting
* Very well developed and maintained (lots of wood mulch on fairways, logs defining fairways, log or ties as stairs in most places where needed, wooden stairs in a few particularly steep laces, etc.)
* Enough elevation change for three courses
* Alternative pin positions
* Mostly tight and wooded, but with fair flight paths on each hole
* Benches on each hole (you'll need 'em)
* Easy to navigate
* Excellent scorecards with plenty available at the kiosk
* Practice basket near parking area
* Generally friendly locals
* Good parking
Cons: * One or two too many "straight across a ravine" holes -- a little more variety would be nice
* Single tee position and only one basket per hole means the course plays the same distance for everyone on any given day
* Tee boxes are decent (better than crushed stone or dirt) but seem like they'd be a bit slippery when wet; a few seem a little bit short
* Port-a-johns can be off-putting
* No water available on site; no convenience/grocery stores nearby
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here -- beautiful spring day, lots of folks out but everyone was friendly. This course will definitely give you a workout, and will punish you if you don't play smart, but plays very fair. There are no extremely long open holes for pure distance guys, but that's not my game.

Not THAT great

1    3/14/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: kerplunk
Pros: Single use course, decent signs, lots of elevation change, multiple pin placements. Course seemed well maintained, and benches on every hole were cool (and necessary if you aren't in good shape). Stairs on the really steep hills.
Cons: Only one tee pad per hole. No water hazards. No one hole really sticks out in my mind, except maybe the one where the pin was up on a plateau, that was pretty cool. Sometimes the hiking could be brutal. Some of the holes seemed almost identical; straight shot over a huge ravine that you then have to walk down and back up.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, but I'm not sure I would rate it in the top ten in the country. I actually like Buckhorn better as far as NC courses go, I think it is more diverse and has more memorable holes.

Lots of thrills in these hills

2-4    2/18/2009   2/20/2009
Review By: BigBombBeeZee
Pros: I am a new player and have only played the game twice. Fortunately for me, I live less than 10 min. from this beauty. First off, the people and scenery are just outstanding. Lots of trees to play through and a very "tight" course. I look forward to honing my skills on this course and hopefully ill be unstopable on any other course
Cons: It can get a little bit crowded, but like I said, everybody is super nice.
Other Thoughts: Bring your dog along, he might find a friend along the course. Dont forget the cold beer!

Awesome Course!

5+    12/10/2008   2/16/2009
Review By: xellotath1111
Pros: A really great workout of a course located in the beautiful Applachia Mountains. Very laid back and background noise is minimal from distractions.
Cons: Tees like others say, but nothing more than that. Doesn't hold back anything.
Other Thoughts: Yeah!!

Sllight downgrade from Original

2-4    7/7/2010   2/13/2009
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 8/8/2010
Pros: This is a nice course in the mountains. It plays through the woods with lots of elevation as you might expect. The fairways are pretty well defined. There is ample parking, a nice kiosk, and a practice basket and putting area.

The area is pretty well dedicated to the course, (although it does not have that isolation feel the old course did.) The layout is good, with #9 and #18 ending at the parking area.
Cons: It still has a new feel to it as it needs some breaking in and seasoning (one of the things I really liked about the old course.) It needs some time to erase the scars of construction.

I liked the turf tees ok, but I could see where they could get slick and lumpy over time or in bad weather. They are new now, but time tends to wear out turf quicker than concrete.

The light blue baskets were pretty, but harder to see in the woods than the standard yellow.
Other Thoughts: My original review was for the old course, which was one of may all-time favorites. The new course is a solid course, but to me it is not as nice as the original. I was looking forward to playing the new layout, but was actually a little disappointed. I would play the course again, however, anytime I am in Asheville or passing through.

To find the course follow Richmond Hill Dr. (not Richmond Hill Rd.) until it ends, pass the roundabout into the parking area.

Do have the "skill" to tame the Hill?

1    6/27/2006   1/27/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Elevation, elevation, elevation. This course used it better than any that I have seen. Albeit, I have not ventured out west to play the ski slope courses, but I thought that the design here was amazing. The woods and fairways are very mature. I found this part to be odd since the course doesn't seem to be that old...but I really have no idea. I was just going on the impressions. You will need every shot in order to score well on this course. The fairways are well defined. You will be able to escape from the rough with some adequate "rescue" shots, however, you will be much better off if you are able to stay in the fairway.
Cons: Only two...and they are minimal. The tee-pads at the time we played were green turf or carpet laid down over, what appeared to be a natural base. They were lumpy in a lot of spots. This may have been attended to as it has been a few years since I played the course. The other is the lack of an open hole or two. I think the best courses have a mixture. I understand that this not always an option and the wooded holes at Richmond Hill are second to none. I only mention this because there are a lot of "bombers" out there who just want to throw a long way. This may not be the ideal course for those people.
Other Thoughts: I love Richmond Hill because I am not the longest arm...but I am fairly accurate. I think that a course like this would allow me to compete against some guys who just can absolutely crush their drives. It is a gorgeous piece of property. There must be strong local club support as it remains well kept. I felt the need to review this course simply because I loved it a few years ago, and I am happy to see that those who play it now are still as thrilled as I was. That to me shows the true character of a course. Longevity is important and can only be attained through the hard work of the local clubs and players. Thank you all for this gem.

Dude, play this course!

5+    11/30/2008   1/7/2009
Review By: Middy
Pros: Tough, tight and pretty damn long...bring all of your throws. Serious elevation changes - just hiking this course was a workout. It was obvious that the local club has done a ton of work on this course: handmade tee signs, benches on every hole with room for 8 people, impressive wooden bridges/steps. Multiple basket placements. Great parking and a putting basket. A disc golf only facility. Very nice local folks.
Cons: The tee pads are wide - but a bit short and slippery when wet.
Other Thoughts: Put this one on your "to be played" list if you haven't done so already.