Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #4
Hole #4 Tee: The long pin is up the hill all the way to the top then fade left. The short pin would be a straight shot to the top of this hill.

1    12/4/2011   3/9/2012
Review By: parTake30
Pros: this course was a huge breath of fresh air from brevard college, which is where i always play, cus im right down the road. this course is challenging. it is heavily wooded, the holes are well marked, and the course is layed out very nicely. i havnt played many courses that you have to use a large arsenal of shots, so this is a fun course.
Cons: for me, its tough cus im used to a wide open course and not having to make many technical shots. there were a lot of people on the course, including joggers, bikers, and hikers. so just watch before you throw.

1    12/23/2011   1/1/2012
Review By: Hogan54
Pros: This course was a ton of fun to play. I mean what more can you say about a park thats dedicated solely to disc golf.

I played with a group of four and we played doubles so I didn't get as much variety in my shots as I would have liked. We started on the back nine because late in the day there is a lot of traffic with people being out of school and work. There is a lot of elevation change on numerous holes which challenge you to place your shot just so to have a solid look at the basket.

I've read some reviews that say there isn't much variety in shots but I found that there were multiple lines are almost every hole that provided for either a BH or a FH. I guess its all in whether you utilize every available shot in the bag or just one.

One of my favorite holes I think its #6 is a slight dogleg right down hill to a blind basket. They've rigged a mirror on a tree towards the back of the tee box and you can watch your shot once it goes over the hill. I mean how sweet is that.

One thing I loved is how detailed the hole signs were. They showed both pin selections and really help you to decide what sort of shot you want to play. Although in some cases they aren't needed because you can most of the baskets from the tee.

All in all I love this course its a blast two play with a group or alone and I would suggest anyone to go and play it.
Cons: Umm some things that you may be find as a con are certain tee pads are subject to flooding after a heavy rain. I encountered three maybe four.

Another thing that some may find bothersome is the amount of traffic that goes through everyday. But what can you expect when the course is great and is dedicated only to the golfers that walk the trails.

Really only other con I can think of off the top of my head is that most holes do have steps but between the sets of steps its extremely slick and can be hazardous so be sure to wear a good set of shoes with great tread for traction.

One another con at least when I was there the hole maps didn't have the screw in place for which pin selection was being used for the day. But as I stated in the pro section you will be able to see the basket from tee in most cases.
Other Thoughts: Really a great place to come and play with a group of friends. Offers a great time and as you will see if you ever play a ton of people seem to enjoy the experience as much as I did.

Very good area course

2-4    12/23/2011   12/23/2011
Review By: Taino
Pros: Relatively easy to find; course starts right next to parking lot; pretty good flow; multiple pins that look regularly moved; tees are generally in good shape; sign at each tee showing general layout of pins along with distance; course demands accuracy over power; beautiful course map available at parking area.
Cons: Lots of similar shots required for the holes; not a lot of shot variety required. WAY too much crossing of the major ravine. Signs at tees don't show which position the pin is in. Tees are astro-turf (fine), and can get water-logged. Several pins on different holes are close together - lots of back-and-forth. Some tees are short. Signs between holes are non-existent.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course, that has the potential to be excellent. I played the course in its "short" configuration (par 3s all around) and didn't get to play it "long"; perhaps the long config would change things up enough. As it was, I found lots of repetitive shots, similar distances on each hole, and WAY too much back-and-forth across the ravine - five times out of 18 holes, all requiring similar shots. I would have loved to see hole 17 in long config; way up on a hummock for a hard par 3/normal par 4. Instead, it was a much easier par 3.

All that said, I had a great time playing the course. It's obvious that the locals take care of the area; lots of built-up stairs, water bars to protect the tees from getting washed away, wood chips to help prevent muddy areas; really well done. To improve, perhaps lengthening the tee on hole 4 (really short), some general maintenance on the rest (some are really low and waterlogged), a sign or two for locating the next tee (especially in the 5-6/8-9 area - very confusing, even with a map), and - perhaps - revamping the layout for less throws over the ravine. It's cool the first time, nice the second time, and it goes downhill from there.

Thanks very much for this course, folks. Keep up the good work!

asheville needs more of these

5+    11/22/2011   11/23/2011
Review By: porchmike
Pros: nice tee pads- wooden raised boxes w/ astroturf surface

good signs/ hole descriptions at each hole

the cleanest porta-potties i've ever seen at the parking lot- no worries if you need a #2.

navigation is very intuitive, even for a mapless first-timer- trails from basket to tee pads, steps in steeper areas, bridges over creeks(the creeks are normally dry).

pretty good variety of possible shots on many holes- RHBH players: try a gentle hyzer to the right on #11 if the pin is in the far position- you'll dig it!

the trees add a very necessary element of risk, since almost none of the holes are very long(5long,7long,8long,17 being exceptions)

multiple pin placements on every hole(at least i'm pretty sure- i've never seen 6,9,13,or 18 in a different spot though)

disc golf-only course, no other traffic
Cons: poison ivy- use the usual precautions

often crowded- close to asheville and UNCA, this place sees a lot of use, but it's been good for the clearing of the undergrowth over the years

some fairways are close to each other, so make sure and yell "fore!" when you throw if there's people around! 2/3, 6/8, 9/10, 13/14, 14/15 are the main danger areas for this, so look out!

astro-turf tees can get very slippery when wet

trash around the course, despite there being a trash can/recycling can in the parking lot- c'mon folks, bring a bag with ya, drop trash after hole 9, drop rest after 18- easy!
Other Thoughts: some have complained about the lack of multiple tees, but there are very few holes where that wouldn't require a lot of logging. it does seem like there is room for a few more holes in the park, though- i'm not sure of the park boundaries, but it seems like another 6 holes or so could be added without disturbing too much... just a thought.
all in all, a great course in a nice forest with great terrain features- a big hippie town like asheville could use some more courses like this around, we've got the perfect terrain! and as the sport grows here, this one course won't be able to handle everybody! cheers!

1    11/14/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: AdamJ
Pros: Wonderful use of terrain, was a great stop on my trip back home. Nice scorecards with maps. Course looked well maintained by local club. Several holes with multiple routes. Challenging gaps with great scenic views.
Cons: Second set of tees would be a nice addition for lower skilled players for the longer holes. Would be difficult but adding a couple trash cans would help. We did not notice any trash on the course which tells me the locals take care of this course very well.
Other Thoughts: I would stop to play this again, mainly because I was so sore from hitting 5 other courses the 3 days prior on our trip. Overall it is a great technical design that has you throwing some awesome shots across valley's and over hills and the always difficult along the hill side with some tough greens that encourage smart play. Worth every minute, very glad we stopped here. If your travels take you with in 50 miles of here, please consider it, you won't be disappointed.

1    9/4/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: DBdiscgolf
This review was updated on 5/12/2014
Pros: Clean Porta-Toilets, very scenic, sense of being at a top notch course, and interesting layout. It made you think about what shot would be the best before you threw which I thought made the holes very interesting.
Cons: Some holes were beyond challenging and just frustrating. (especially #11) The rough was ROUGH.
Other Thoughts: It rained while we were there which made it a little frustrating at times. Plus I will gladly admit that this course was a bit above my skill level.

Pinks at the Hill!

5+    7/31/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: mx23ang
This review was updated on 5/23/2013
Pros: Starting off I like to let everyone know what Im personally looking for in a course. I love the scenic aspect of disc golf (this includes boulders, lakes, wildlife, and plantlife- I do study horticulture). With that being stated, I rate a course based on a combination of the scenic factor and the overall course aspects (this includes layout, fairway lines, divesity of holes, and amenities)
Very scenic mixed pine/hardwood forest that is ever so green in the spring/summer months
Speaking of this forest, this is home to the pink lady slipper orchids (right behind the benches of hole 5) a fairly rare perrennial flower that requires certain fungi in the soil in order to grow. Lets keep this population healthy by WATCHING WHERE WE STEP IN THIS AREA!! Please folks stay on the designated trail in areas your disc will not be landed (someone is just trampling through this section for no reason)
Awesome wood inspired signs on every hole that give you a good look on the fairway shape and both basket locations..
Multiple lines through a dense canopy, I love being able to choose my own line
On many holes you get to pick a line out of many which is always fun, haha sometimes that works out better
Benches, oh my word I have never seen so many, I loved being able to sit on every hole and they put it enough to sit 8 on each hole...
This place is all about disc golf, no pedestrians, cars, its very peaceful..
Besides discs hitting the trees, most people would list as many trees Richmond Hill has on it as cons but I love having the disc pick its own line sometime..
The mirror on number 6 is sweet, you cant see the basket from the pad so you turn 180 degrees around and look up in a tree and someone has made a mirror that shows you the basket location, nice idea whoever
Cons: "Richmond Rollers"
erosion issues due to over playing
can get repetitive to some as 5 holes play over the same ravine (the lines are a little different at least)
Other Thoughts: I feel like with the amount of play RH has, retaining wall greens should be constructed to help with the erosion issue around some of the heavily sloped greens.. I am not advising changing the risk/reward factor, I love that out here, its just on some holes (like long position of hole 3) could use a retaining wall located behind the basket to help keep the trail to hole 4 adequate
Please agian everyone watch your feet near the area of hole 5s teebox!!

My Home Course

1    7/31/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: mcooley
Pros: Scenic.
Challenging.
Epic, in a way.
Unforgiving --> Rewarding.
Absolutely Beautiful to play after a decent snowfall.
Cons: Unforgiving --> Frustrating.
Poison Ivy, if you're alergic.
Easy to lose a disc, if you're wild.
Overcrowded at popular times. I've seen groups of 8 or more. C'mon, people!
Other Thoughts: It must be difficult to maintain this course, with the amount of traffic it sees. It does appear downtrodden at times as a result. I think the guys of the WNCDGA do a great job despite it's workload and size.

For those wooded ravine lovers out there

1    6/11/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: superberry
Pros: Scenic beauty was great, a ridge/hillside through the woods with sharp elevation changes. The feeling of exclusive use of the area was pretty evident, we played disc golf in a beautiful park on a beautiful area of property.
Shot shape and hole type variety was very good. There were long, short, uphill, downhill, sidehill, hillside to hillside, left, right, straight, zig-zag, heavily wooded, and a few open holes. The course is predominantly wooded though, and not heavily wooded with tight closed in fariways under dense trees, yet not city park style huge sporadic trees. It was a 'peaceful' type of wooded wonderland. There were some long, extreme, and amazing wooded holes, as well as tight and short ace runs. The longer holes (longer pins) really added some challenge like hole 5, 8, 11, and 17. You could rip a great drive out there, but being off course just a bit could kick you way off course.
The hilltop to hilltop shots across a ravine are very fun. There were so many here that I dare say they almost got repetitive (holes 5, 9, 10, 14, and others with that similar feel).
Memorable holes included #5 hilltop to hilltop with the pin way up on top, and #17 up through the ravine to a terraced green.
Multiple pins positions were available, some long pins really added another level of required skill, and brutality to the hole.
The pin placements were decently risky, not boring and lame wide open greens. More than a few posed definite rollaway risks, and almost all greens had trees to contend with around 30'.
Not much garbage in the park, indicative of local pride.
Amenities like benches, a cool mirror on #6 that allows you to see where the pin is, and even recycling cans at the parking lot rounded it all out.
Cons: Just one tee. This is one of the biggest cons I will always list. Not only as someone who travels with family (wife and young kids who could use shorter tees), but as someone who seeks more variety and balanced offerings on a course. Since only one pin is in the ground at a time (despite multiple placements) one tee lets you play only one layout. For some variety, that second tee offers another complete hole, and as many more options per tee pad as pin placements per hole. Multiple tees can greatly increase variety as far as design/layout, as well as skill variety.
No water or real OB (other than not wanting to be in the rough or poison ivy). Water hazards and defined OB add psychological destruction to your game as well as required skill and shot placement (a pond dug on the left of #1 would be GREAT!).
TONS of poison ivy and oak! I will always dock for these types of ecological problems when they are rampant. Not only because the stuff is in all sorts of locations everywhere that you can walk through, land in, or set your bag in, but because I am a travelling player and it sucks to have to quarantine a set of shoes/clothes because they are full of poison plants oils, and even worse to get a rash while on vacation.
My opinion was that all of the shorter wooded ace runs played as RHBH slight annys (i.e. I used my buzzz on all of them). It could just be the pin positions we played.
Other Thoughts: The course must border a lot of private and secluded land. It was very peaceful, relaxing, and beautiful. We saw some unique things on this 'southern' course - box turtle right by the basket on #4, a huge snake on #8, and some type of huge wasp that was 5x the size of other bees.
I'd say the course is a little less balanced and varied than I would like, but the terrain and solid design made it very fun. I'd call it almost 100% wooded because only 1 and 18 are open, and neither one are true wide open ripper holes or long downhill bombers. But it was definitely high on my enjoyment scale.
We played the course in the midst of a roadtrip from WI to SC. It was hot, we all walked around the course as a family, my wife and I played, and despite having to constantly keep the kids from walking through the poison plants, we had a good time and did not regret playing here.
It was great to see recycling containers at the parking lot! RRR.
In my spreadsheet, the course calculated to a 4.0 rating despite the predominant woodedness and lack of water hazards and multiple tees. I would play here again (and also come back to the Bier Garden, Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and any one of the 8 or so brewpubs in Asheville, plus the Western NC farmer's market).

Great workout

1    6/19/2011   6/22/2011
Review By: Baldzillabill
Pros: Lots of great types of shots.
DG club puts lots of effort and love in this course.
Everything has already been said so, its all true.
Good parking. Great Discgolfer atmosphere as well.
Cons: Up hill hikes, down hill hikes on tough terrain.
The trees are rarely if ever your friend. I would suggest just taking a few discs you like and don't mind hitting trees with. Lugging a big heavy disc bag will ware you down fast. Bring plenty of water!
Other Thoughts: Great course. Want to play it again!!