Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #6 Basket to Tee (Long Position)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Epic Setting and Course

1    6/5/2015   9/2/2015
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Some courses just have that unique feel about them that differentiate themselves from any other course out there. Richmond Hill has this feel. You have to drive through a residential area to get there, but once you make the turn into the parking lot the environment changes immediately. This seemed like its own disc golf sub-community set off in the mountains. There's a huge parking lot, practice basket, porta-potty, and bulletin board with a course map and local club info located near the first tee. The course also conveniently winds its way back to the parking lot to make two 9 hole loops.

It plays up, down, and around the mountain through various degrees of woodenness, with bookend holes that play more in the open. Even though you're mostly in the woods, there's a nice variety of really tight shots as well as lines that are more forgiving. There are elevation changes throughout, sometimes subtle and sometimes DRASTIC. The ravine is very cool and offers some truly epic shots, both extreme uphill and extreme downhill throws. Even the more subtle elevation changes cause you to carefully choose your disc, like 13. It doesn't look too scary from the tee, but the green drops off about 15 feet and continues to slope down past the basket. Elevation factors in interesting ways like this throughout the round.

Pin positions are really well thought out, often tucked away in a corner, behind a patch of trees, or located near a scary slope. The baskets are in great shape and the blue rims do a nice job of standing out among the trees. Multiple pin positions do a nice job changing up the shot off the tee and approach.

It's clear that a lot of care has gone into designing and maintaining the course. I couldn't imagine trying to create and carve holes on this type of land - well done. Great efforts have been made to build the tee areas and steps that help you get around, without which it would be very hard to navigate through. There are 'next tee' arrows pointing you in the right direction.

Plenty of mandos and double mandos make things interesting. 18 is a great finishing hole in that while it's more open, you have to hit one of two sharp lines. Both of which can easily fade way down over the hill. What an awesome view from there too.
Cons: There's not much wrong with the course, as long as you like this type of setting. I really enjoyed my round but must take into consideration that the course offers a pretty specific type of round. Not everyone would enjoy playing here with the combo of some really tight lines and drastic elevation changes.

Even with the steps there are still times where footing is kind of sketchy, particularly if you land on a slope near the ravine. I'm sure it gets very slick after rain. The worn in tee pads also can be a little uncomfortable. They are big enough but the carpet was slippery at times. There are sometimes steep slopes at the end of the tee too, so you don't want to slip off past the end.

The fairways are very well maintained, but the rough gets thick in places.

When we pulled into the parking lot, I said, "There's no way all those cars are here for the course." Sure enough, there were just that many people playing. Definitely one of the more crowded courses that I've ever played. Be prepared to get stuck behind multiple groups. Though, it's very cool to see such a dedicated disc golf community.
Other Thoughts: I can see why Richmond Hill was ranked so high back in the early years of DGCR, it's definitely a unique course with a faithful following. I would love to have this as my home course and appreciated the balance of difficulty. You're bound to hit a few - or maybe a lot of - trees and fade further down a slope than you intended, but recovery is fair and the holes aren't too brutal. This is a course you have to play if you're in the region.

Nicely done

1    9/3/2014   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
This review was updated on 9/23/2015
Pros: many uphill/downhill shots
mostly wooded
defined fairways
free to play
very clean
Cons: navigation

Other Thoughts: This course was very fun to play and you are rewarded greatly after a good drive. Elevation change on just about every hole, tight fairways so accuracy is very important. I have never played a course like this and I highly recommend this course to everyone.

Traveling in Asheville

1    4/25/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: deadheadmon
Pros: Lots of different lines possible on many holes.
Good but not overkill use of mandos.
Challenging without being punishing for a casual/amateur.
Cons: Blind tee shots require some scouting for a first timer.
Poison ivy was out in force all around the course.
Course was a bit backed up on a Sunday, a few large groups.
Other Thoughts: Played this course on a weekend trip to Asheville. It is not to be missed for disc golfers in the area! I met some chill local players on hole 5 or so who helped me navigate the course. A real WNC winner!

I like it!

2-4    10/8/2014   10/8/2014
Review By: Jackattack828
This review was updated on 10/11/2014
Pros: It has some nice and long holes. Good mix of downhill, uphill and flat. I think it's good for both beginners and experts. It's a good, hard course that will definitely help anyone and everyone's skills. Always see people there practicing and playing.
Cons: Not enough mix of wooded to unwooded. Sorta hard to find the tees from the hole sometimes. Going back and forth from one hill to the other on like 13-16 was sorta rough. Some places are very heavily wooded and finding a frisbee in those places can be very difficult.
Other Thoughts: I like it. I havnt really been to much in the area yet but I like it so far!

Mt. Awesome

2-4    7/13/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Richmond Hill is off the chain! 100% what you would expect from a town like Asheville. Heavy trees + heavy elevation = exceptional disc golfing. The first and last holes are not typical of this equation. The magic is in the middle. I love the elements an mixture of looks you see on this course.

All of the equipment is fine. Blue rims on the Innova baskets are different and cool. Tees all have signs and only one box per hole. There are multiple pin placements for many holes, mostly in the shortest one when I last played. Good benches on all holes. A lot of nice work with stairs, bridges, and landscaping to make the course easier to traverse.

I won't give a hole by hole breakdown, or bore you with the details of my round. Too many highlights to describe. Expect to be challenged on almost every hole. Number 5 is the prototype for my favorite kind of hole, and there are several variations similar to it on this course. Elevated tee over a fairway that drops steeply and climbs the opposite side of the valley to the target. Numerous trees force accuracy and separate great drives from bogies. One cool feature I haven't seen anywhere else is the mirror hung in the tree behind the 6th tee, enabling you to see the basket standing on the box. Although it was disorienting, and on a short hole so you don't have to walk far to leave the blind spot, but still unique. 9 is another gem crossing the valley the opposite, then 10 turns you around to do it again, but further up the incline. A true beast. I also liked 14 a lot. There are really no bad holes here, with good variety of distances, types of throws, elevation change in a forested setting.
Cons: If you're looking for reasons to disparage the course you'll have to read other reviews. I have none. I guess the tees could be improved, but the decking with rubber mats/outdoor carpeting that is in place was fine to me. Carrying concrete up those slopes would not be fun. If you don't like hiking up and down steep inclines, this may not be the place for you.
Other Thoughts: All I can say is I strongly recommend Richmond Hill, and if you have the chance go play it. The course speaks for itself. I had some trouble finding center on several of the fairways, but made some good saves, and wound up 4 over par on my second visit here. Also had my share of great throws that are so satisfying on a course like this. A very cool course that it worth the physical exertion and frustration you will likely encounter. Reminds me of East Roswell Park near ATL enough for comparison purposes.

Disc golf nirvana

1    6/28/2014   6/29/2014
Review By: lohroffc
Pros: The best disc golfing experience I have had to date. I absolutely love this course. Lots of challenging shots with legitimate rewards for execution. Tree are sparse enough that a well placed shot can be executed... not the chuck and luck that many wooded courses offer.

Multiple pin possibilities allow for lots of variability. Given that I'm from out of town I won't get the benefit of this, but for locals this would be a huge advantage.
Cons: Lots of poison ivy. Make sure you are careful when are looking for your errant throws and wash yourself and your discs when you are done.

Course navigation can be a challenge. There are a few holes with "next" markers but make sure you take a picture of the overview map before starting your round... you will use it often.
Other Thoughts: So much fun! I tee off before 7 am on a Saturday morning and didn't encounter any other players. It took me about 2 hours to play and that included 2 fairly long disc searching sessions, one of which was unfruitful.

Excellent, fun, hilly and challenging.

1    10/5/2013   6/1/2014
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Well-thought out holes. Well-maintained course. Lots of variety and challenge while not being frustrating. Very friendly locals.
Cons: None I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I played this over a year ago so my recall is hazy, but I do know I loved playing this course even though I played like crap. The course asked for more than I was ready for that day! Good mix of challenge and fun, leaning towards the challenge side. I do recall some confusion on hole-to-tee navigation a few times.

All I can say is a year later, I may not remember if the course even had tee signs but I do know I want to play it the next time I am in Asheville.

One of the best in Western NC

5+    2/23/2014   4/30/2014
Review By: Dusty Shackleford
Pros: This design is the epitome of a course that is challenging while still being fair. There is a lot of variation between the holes, even though the course is entirely wooded (with the exceptions of 1 and 18). The designers made excellent use of the terrain, with varying elevation changes throughout the round. Errant shots will have consequences when you find yourself deep in the woods, but the fairways are large enough for semi-accurate drives. Also, this course is maintained with plenty of signage, benches, and minimal litter.
Cons: Even though this course has a great design, I prefer more of a balance between wooded and open holes. So many of the holes cross back and forth over the ravine, and it seems a bit repetitive.
Other Thoughts: Richmond Hill is without a doubt the most elite course in Asheville. It's no fault of the course, but this place gets way too crowded! Several times I've left mid-round because the pace of play was so slow. If it's a nice afternoon and you're playing by yourself or a group of two, good luck finishing in less than two hours. There is a large population of golfers in the area, and the city should seriously consider adding at least another course.

From Asheville With Care

1    11/9/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There are a few basic reasons for a course to be considered amongst the elite. The natural terrain could be so fantastic that you could throw up baskets anywhere and the course would scream to be thrown on. It could have a killer design and impress with the creator's genius. It could also be how well the course is cared for. That attention to detail and dedication to maintenance. Now, Richmond Hill may have some quality terrain, especially that valley that runs through half the course. It also boasts a quality design, with memorable holes that take full advantage of the terrain. But where the Asheville course stands above the rest is that third category. From the the first hole, it is obvious how much is put into these fairways.

Unless this is the first review of Richmond Hill that you have read, you know about the valley. Four holes cross this valley, each an incredible shot from high on one side to high on the other. Tremendous reward if you make it across. Great risk if you don't, because if you end up on the bottom, it isn't likely you can get up in just one throw. Fantastic natural landforms. But these holes aren't nearly as playable without the hundreds of steps carved into the sides of the valley because the players, unlike the discs, can't fly across the gap.

Beyond the valley shots, there are some fantastic uphill lines that are made all the better by a lattice of logs, keeping rollaways from rolling too far away, and helping the new players keep their cool on some difficult holes. My favorite hole might be 16, in which after descending to the valley floor, the hole follows the valley as it climbs oh-so-gradually towards 18s top-of-the-world viewpoint. It's great and made all the better by the complete lack of brush creeping into the low-lying area. There's plenty of brush at Richmond Hill but thanks to what I assume must be absurd maintenance, it stays where it should be and the often generous fairways remain free for play.
Cons: While the first two valley shots were perfect, the second two would be better off with a few trees removed. There is just not big enough a window to reliably make it across and it would be nice if somewhere along that gap, there was a specific aiming point to ensure landing on the other side. Maintain the risk/reward factor but take away some of the chance for bad luck to knock a good drive to the bottom of the ravine.

There also seems to be an excess of straight shots, though different basket positions might have changed that. I used my straightest driver for a majority of the holes and a little more left and right action would be welcome.
Other Thoughts: Asheville seems like a place that would have a ton of disc golf courses but it really doesn't so I would be recommending this course even if it was mediocre. Richmond Hill is not mediocre. It's a well-kept gem of a course over some pretty terrain with a ton of elevation and some memorable holes. It's also that rare course that could be enjoyed by people of any skill level. Beginners can play here without feeling overwhelmed but vets should find challenge here too. If you're in the area for any length of time, you really need to get out there.

The valley through the middle of the course is the hero!

1    9/6/2013   9/8/2013
Review By: apparition
Pros: + Off the beaten path, very worthwhile 18-holer in Asheville
+ Fun hike featuring many scenic, dynamic throws over a valley
+ In fact, a highlight of the course is definitely the dynamic hole layouts and terrain: island greens, hillside pins, up and downhill valley shots, tight woods, gnarly roughness
+ Well-defined lines with a mix of tree coverage and moderate to thick bushes
+ Very visible baskets: blue Discatchers > yellow or Chainstars
+ Not overly challenging first round with pins in a mix of short/long spots
+ Lots of logs and steps to help prevent rollaways and to keep stable footing when climbing up and down the hills
+ Although I did see a little poison ivy/oak (might help to review how to identify), we wore shorts and didn't have a problem
+ Great wood chipped holes #1 and #18 (really liked 18 as the hilltop finish)
+ Busy, but not crowded
+ Great parking/portapotties on site
Cons: - Lots of straight shots with baskets in full view
- No directional signage (sometimes really needed), especially for navigation from 6 to 7 and 13 to 14
- Some of the slipperiest tee pads I've ever thrown from
- Only one basket in place for each hole in a random short or long position
- I liked the simple painted log tee signs way better than the full color printouts
- Short pin locations really minimized the risk vs reward
Other Thoughts: We decided to add Richmond Hill into our last day in Asheville and we were very happy we did. Even after two full days of hiking, this hilly course was exactly the right amount of challenge for my wife and I. Although, there were a couple holes my wife didn't want to throw because she was nervous about the reports of poison ivy/oak (#7 especially, but #13 short as well), she didn't really have any problems throwing the rest. For a quick take-home message, I have to say that Richmond Hill was a highlight of the city of Asheville itself, one that I would consider a must for any visiting disc golfer no matter their skill level.

In terms of scoring, you'll enjoy the round most if you plan accordingly. As an intermediate level thrower, I threw two over par on my first round here with the pins in their current locations. I think perhaps the short position of the pins reduced the challenge a lot. I brought my full bag, but only threw three discs the entire round. My advice for other first time visitors (like we were) is to bring stable to understable discs and throw straight and safe. The holes aren't very long even with the pins in the long positions and even on the two(?) that hit 400' you'll benefit greatly from just keeping your throws as straight as can be. You'll also benefit from not having to navigate around what might or might not be poison ivy/oak.

I have to agree with the reviews saying the tee pads are a bummer. I would rather throw from natural tees than the turf tees, which were slippery even though they were dry. The tee boxes themselves are very nice, so if there is one way this course could be greatly improved, it would be by pouring concrete tees. I'm also a big stickler for directional signage. If it's not obvious which direction to walk, put up a small arrow please :) #7 is straight behind #6's basket in line with the fairway, and #14 backtracks to the right a little. I do see arrows in pictures here on DGCR, but didn't see them in person. Anyway, there are two types of tee signs here, maybe half were full color and kind of cluttered, and the other half were minimalistic. Just a cut log with the hole #, distances, and intended lines/pins painted in white. I liked the minimal tee signs better.

There's an awesome valley running through here and the slight elevation change it gives the terrain is the biggest hero for Richmond Hill. As a whole, the course plays slightly downhill at the beginning, then slightly uphill at the end, with back and forth valley shots sprinkled in the middle (the hikes down, up, and back down again were a nice little workout). I did miss throwing dramatically uphill and downhill, though. The throws over the valley are basically straight across. I suppose if you hit a tree in the middle of the valley you'll get that kind of throw, though. I didn't pay much attention to the distances on the tee signs, but the valley holes are a lot shorter than they look. Also, it's good to note how much we liked that the holes in the middle play back up towards the parking lot (and portapotties). Considering the overall flow, Richmond Hill is a breeze to play. We were surprised how quickly we got to #18.

All that said, labeling Richmond Hill a "mountain course" hypes its size and difficulty unnecessarily. And you can't see the surrounding mountains from anywhere on the course. The course does shine with a charming taste of the hills of the Appalachian Mountains, but it's not huge or extreme the way "mountain" implies. Especially after you go out for some of the hiking that Pisgah National Forest has to offer. Anyway, even though you can throw straight and score low, the diverse use of the terrain and valley was awesome and memorable and would prompt me to play this course again on a return visit instead of hitting any of the other much lower rated 6, 9, or 18 hole courses around Asheville.

Thanks for reading!