Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #15 (Taken 1/2009)
3 / 326ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1    9/4/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: DBdiscgolf
Pros: Clean Porta-Toilets, very scenic, sense of being at a top notch course, and interesting layout. It made you think about what shot would be the best before you threw which I thought made the holes very interesting.
Cons: Some holes were beyond challenging and just frustrating. (especially #11) The rough was ROUGH.
Other Thoughts: It rained while we were there which made it a little frustrating at times. Plus I will gladly admit that this course was a bit above my skill level.

Pinks at the Hill!

5+    7/31/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: mx23ang
This review was updated on 5/23/2013
Pros: Starting off I like to let everyone know what Im personally looking for in a course. I love the scenic aspect of disc golf (this includes boulders, lakes, wildlife, and plantlife- I do study horticulture). With that being stated, I rate a course based on a combination of the scenic factor and the overall course aspects (this includes layout, fairway lines, divesity of holes, and amenities)
Very scenic mixed pine/hardwood forest that is ever so green in the spring/summer months
Speaking of this forest, this is home to the pink lady slipper orchids (right behind the benches of hole 5) a fairly rare perrennial flower that requires certain fungi in the soil in order to grow. Lets keep this population healthy by WATCHING WHERE WE STEP IN THIS AREA!! Please folks stay on the designated trail in areas your disc will not be landed (someone is just trampling through this section for no reason)
Awesome wood inspired signs on every hole that give you a good look on the fairway shape and both basket locations..
Multiple lines through a dense canopy, I love being able to choose my own line
On many holes you get to pick a line out of many which is always fun, haha sometimes that works out better
Benches, oh my word I have never seen so many, I loved being able to sit on every hole and they put it enough to sit 8 on each hole...
This place is all about disc golf, no pedestrians, cars, its very peaceful..
Besides discs hitting the trees, most people would list as many trees Richmond Hill has on it as cons but I love having the disc pick its own line sometime..
The mirror on number 6 is sweet, you cant see the basket from the pad so you turn 180 degrees around and look up in a tree and someone has made a mirror that shows you the basket location, nice idea whoever
Cons: "Richmond Rollers"
erosion issues due to over playing
can get repetitive to some as 5 holes play over the same ravine (the lines are a little different at least)
Other Thoughts: I feel like with the amount of play RH has, retaining wall greens should be constructed to help with the erosion issue around some of the heavily sloped greens.. I am not advising changing the risk/reward factor, I love that out here, its just on some holes (like long position of hole 3) could use a retaining wall located behind the basket to help keep the trail to hole 4 adequate
Please agian everyone watch your feet near the area of hole 5s teebox!!

My Home Course

1    7/31/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: mcooley
Pros: Scenic.
Challenging.
Epic, in a way.
Unforgiving --> Rewarding.
Absolutely Beautiful to play after a decent snowfall.
Cons: Unforgiving --> Frustrating.
Poison Ivy, if you're alergic.
Easy to lose a disc, if you're wild.
Overcrowded at popular times. I've seen groups of 8 or more. C'mon, people!
Other Thoughts: It must be difficult to maintain this course, with the amount of traffic it sees. It does appear downtrodden at times as a result. I think the guys of the WNCDGA do a great job despite it's workload and size.

For those wooded ravine lovers out there

1    6/11/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: superberry
Pros: Scenic beauty was great, a ridge/hillside through the woods with sharp elevation changes. The feeling of exclusive use of the area was pretty evident, we played disc golf in a beautiful park on a beautiful area of property.
Shot shape and hole type variety was very good. There were long, short, uphill, downhill, sidehill, hillside to hillside, left, right, straight, zig-zag, heavily wooded, and a few open holes. The course is predominantly wooded though, and not heavily wooded with tight closed in fariways under dense trees, yet not city park style huge sporadic trees. It was a 'peaceful' type of wooded wonderland. There were some long, extreme, and amazing wooded holes, as well as tight and short ace runs. The longer holes (longer pins) really added some challenge like hole 5, 8, 11, and 17. You could rip a great drive out there, but being off course just a bit could kick you way off course.
The hilltop to hilltop shots across a ravine are very fun. There were so many here that I dare say they almost got repetitive (holes 5, 9, 10, 14, and others with that similar feel).
Memorable holes included #5 hilltop to hilltop with the pin way up on top, and #17 up through the ravine to a terraced green.
Multiple pins positions were available, some long pins really added another level of required skill, and brutality to the hole.
The pin placements were decently risky, not boring and lame wide open greens. More than a few posed definite rollaway risks, and almost all greens had trees to contend with around 30'.
Not much garbage in the park, indicative of local pride.
Amenities like benches, a cool mirror on #6 that allows you to see where the pin is, and even recycling cans at the parking lot rounded it all out.
Cons: Just one tee. This is one of the biggest cons I will always list. Not only as someone who travels with family (wife and young kids who could use shorter tees), but as someone who seeks more variety and balanced offerings on a course. Since only one pin is in the ground at a time (despite multiple placements) one tee lets you play only one layout. For some variety, that second tee offers another complete hole, and as many more options per tee pad as pin placements per hole. Multiple tees can greatly increase variety as far as design/layout, as well as skill variety.
No water or real OB (other than not wanting to be in the rough or poison ivy). Water hazards and defined OB add psychological destruction to your game as well as required skill and shot placement (a pond dug on the left of #1 would be GREAT!).
TONS of poison ivy and oak! I will always dock for these types of ecological problems when they are rampant. Not only because the stuff is in all sorts of locations everywhere that you can walk through, land in, or set your bag in, but because I am a travelling player and it sucks to have to quarantine a set of shoes/clothes because they are full of poison plants oils, and even worse to get a rash while on vacation.
My opinion was that all of the shorter wooded ace runs played as RHBH slight annys (i.e. I used my buzzz on all of them). It could just be the pin positions we played.
Other Thoughts: The course must border a lot of private and secluded land. It was very peaceful, relaxing, and beautiful. We saw some unique things on this 'southern' course - box turtle right by the basket on #4, a huge snake on #8, and some type of huge wasp that was 5x the size of other bees.
I'd say the course is a little less balanced and varied than I would like, but the terrain and solid design made it very fun. I'd call it almost 100% wooded because only 1 and 18 are open, and neither one are true wide open ripper holes or long downhill bombers. But it was definitely high on my enjoyment scale.
We played the course in the midst of a roadtrip from WI to SC. It was hot, we all walked around the course as a family, my wife and I played, and despite having to constantly keep the kids from walking through the poison plants, we had a good time and did not regret playing here.
It was great to see recycling containers at the parking lot! RRR.
In my spreadsheet, the course calculated to a 4.0 rating despite the predominant woodedness and lack of water hazards and multiple tees. I would play here again (and also come back to the Bier Garden, Mellow Mushroom Pizza, and any one of the 8 or so brewpubs in Asheville, plus the Western NC farmer's market).

Great workout

1    6/19/2011   6/22/2011
Review By: Baldzillabill
Pros: Lots of great types of shots.
DG club puts lots of effort and love in this course.
Everything has already been said so, its all true.
Good parking. Great Discgolfer atmosphere as well.
Cons: Up hill hikes, down hill hikes on tough terrain.
The trees are rarely if ever your friend. I would suggest just taking a few discs you like and don't mind hitting trees with. Lugging a big heavy disc bag will ware you down fast. Bring plenty of water!
Other Thoughts: Great course. Want to play it again!!

Appalachian White Lightning

5+    5/29/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
Pros: - Richmond Hill is located on a beautiful property and really shows you what a NC Mountain course should look like.
- The course has great signage that provide distances and accurate maps. If you have been in the past they now have printed out signs instead of the wood burned ones.
- The course is located on a property that is used solely for disc golf so aside from the occasional local walker from the neighborhood near by you shouldn't have any problems with the general public interfering with your round.
- The layout uses the terrain very well and requires shots of many different elevations, both up and down hill. Many of the holes allow for a variety of shot types for you to choose from as well.
- There is great seating on EVERY hole. If you ever find a time where there isn't enough seating you should probably split your group of 10 in half :D.
- Many of the holes require accuracy over power so there a very good risk/reward option on most holes when deciding what shot you want to take. You can throw the Mid right in the middle and take your par/long birdie attempt or throw a driver and risk being at the bottom of a large hill with a much harder shot then your original drive.
- There are multiple pins on almost every hole so every time you play you have a chance of playing a completely different course than you played before.
Cons: - I am not a big fan of the Turf tee pads. When they are wet they can be pretty slippery and some don't have very good drainage. Though I do think they look pretty nice.
- Off some of the fairways the rough can be pretty thick so if you are playing by yourself with no one to help spot you might have a pretty good chance of loosing a disc on an errant throw.
- Many of the holes have multiple pins however with the new signs I didn't see any way of telling which position it was currently in on the blind holes. It is possible I didn't see where they displayed it.
Other Thoughts: Richmond Hill is one of my favorite courses. To me it is the perfect NC Wooded/Mountain course offering all types of shots. When you are playing the course you can tell the local club has put a lot of time, effort, and love into the course and it leaves you with really good vibes during your round. If you are in the Asheville area, or just in NC for that matter, I would highly recommend giving Richmond Hill a try.

Wow!

1    5/1/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: Lots of pros. Steps in the deep woods where needed to prevent going up and down slippery slopes. Great holes with wonderful use of elevation. Accuracy more important than distance which I liked. I love the wood chip fairways. My fear of the carpet tees was quickly ended. Great footing. Go too left on 18 and you disc will beat you to the parking lot some 75 foot away. Good signage where needed to next hole.
Cons: Nothing to do for family if not playing golf. While tee signs show two baskets only one. I know plants a little. Lots of 3 leaves around trees that were Poison Ivy. Other than that none.
Other Thoughts: I was in Asheville on business. I played around 7AM on Sunday morning. Only one on course. By the finish there was at least 10 cars in the parking lot some hour later. This is a must play course for anyone. I had played Hilton in Hickory this week also. Hilton is really good and i still liked Richmond Hill better.

What a View!

1    4/2/2011   4/21/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Richmond Hill, located in the scenic mountains of Asheville, plays through a mature forest area comprised mostly of pine trees. The terrain is exceptional, with tons of tasty elevation, and nicely defined fairways through the trees that force you to hit your line without being too tight or punishing. Although the mountains and forest make this course seem very isolated, it somehow still has a very park-style vibe to it.
- Massive elevation changes throughout. A valley runs between two large hills and many holes (such as #5 and #9) take advantage of the opportunities to throw from one hill across the valley to the other hill, with minor variances. Despite basically setting up the same shot in a couple of places, the flow between hole styles seemed fresh and never repetitive.
- Tee pads made of plastic grass carpeting, bounded by boards. Footing was never an issue on these, and they played much better than they look. Signs show alternative pin positions, but in places are fairly basic. Next tee signs as needed. Port-a-john and trashcans by the parking lot. Bridges and stairways as needed.
- Good balance throughout between up, down, left, right.
Cons: - Mulch is used heavily in many places. I understand that mulch helps certain areas not become muddy messes, but it seemed a bit like overkill. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I really dislike playing down fairways of mulch. Not really much of a con, as I suppose I'd rather have the mulch than mud.
- This seems to be a popular, crowded course. Not conducive to peaceful, leisurely rounds; however, for as crowded as the course was when I played it, the pace of play wasn't too bad.
- Not many trashcans (although the course was impeccably clean when I played it).
- There is one or two places you might get temporarily turned around at if you're new to the course and not paying attention, but not an issue if you keep your eyes peeled.
Other Thoughts: - Check out the stunning view from #18's fairway as the sun sets. You will NOT be disappointed.
- Odd sign posted by the parking lot says that sex offenders are not allowed in the park by state law. I hadn't seen anything like that before.

One off the wish list

2-4    4/10/2011   4/12/2011
Review By: Zenzubar
This review was updated on 4/15/2011
Pros: Great course and marked really well. This course will make you play your best, your not going to just walk through this one. The up keep is nice, maps are usely left a the start of the course. There are also lot of other players there to get tips from. One big pro is there are places to set and enjoy the outside at every tee.
Cons: One big con for me is the trash along the course which is not the parks falt but the people that go there. This is something that needs to stop people, if we want to keep these Disc Golf course we must show we want them and keep them clean. Something that might help this would be to place trash cans at some of the tees. thats just a thought
Other Thoughts: I see this being a course I will keep coming back to again and again. I hope I can find more course as good as this one near where I live.

Beautiful course with great local vibe

1    2/26/2011   2/26/2011
Review By: Fender088
Pros: This course offers the feel of being tucked away in the mountains with the convenience of being located less than two miles from the downtown area of Asheville. The second you creep over the hill and see the parking lot of the course you know that this is the place to be in this town. The lot was stacked upon my arrival, but I was happy to see that the course moved quickly and the amenities were plenty.
The course contains multiple pin placements, large carpeted tees, bathroom amenities, trash cans, tee signs on every hole, and a great selection of shots. Although the course is mainly wooded, I still felt that there were a decent amount of fairly open holes, in contrast to the mostly wooded ones. The elevation changes were definitely the most dominant feature. I would recommend hiking shoes for this reason. The distances were wide ranging as well for a wooded course, although nothing too extreme. A fair amount of par threes and fours allowed for some solid birdie opportunities even for someone like me who had never seen the course before.
Cons: I guess I could say there was no water and that I would have preferred concrete tees, but that didn't really come into my mind while I was playing this course. You could also say that this course lacked some huge open holes to really air some throws out, but for the land available I don't really see how the designers could have done a better job. There just really wasn't a hole out here that I disliked or thought was poorly designed.
I think that the traffic on this course could be a legitimate complaint (especially in the summer), but my group didn't have to wait on anyone despite the full lot.
Other Thoughts: All in all I had an excellent experience at this course. It's proximity to the city and signage make it extremely easy to navigate. You really can't beat the local feel here either. I was able to play a few holes with DSCJNKY and a few other members on here and they were beyond welcoming to myself and my friend taking pictures. If you're in Asheville for any reason I would make a point to play this course. It's by far one of the best designed wooded courses I've ever played and reminded me a lot of my home course, The Sinks, but with a lot of elevation added. Also, I didn't have a chance to play UNC Asheville, but the locals told me that it's an excellent little course to warm up on prior to playing this one.