Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #7 (Taken 11/2008)
3 / 320ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #7 Approach (Short Position)

Asheville's Signature Course

5+    2/26/2012   2/18/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 2/26/2012
Pros: *Update as of 2/26/12 - I guess this occurred sometime over the past couple days but there is now a new alternate basket location on Hole #6. I'd guess it's about 175' fade left...but here is the kicker...the basket is raised up so the bottom is about 8' in the air. There are a couple of log steps at the base so you can retrieve your disc. I imagine short people will need a stick or something to get their disc out...or else they will have to shimmy up the pole. ;)

I believe this now leaves Hole #9 as the only hole with only 1 basket location.

Extremely challenging. I like to think it makes me a better player because it forces me either to focus or score a triple bogey. I also like how the course is set up so the front 9 ends and back 9 begins right by the parking lot. All courses should do this.
Cons: A little repetitive with 5, 9, 10 and 14 playing across the ravine. I feel like they maybe could have made one of those holes similar to 15 and the course would have still maintained it's flow.

The course is not real spread out. When it gets crowded (which is often) it's hard not to feel like you are constantly waiting...either waiting on the next hole or waiting until the path is clear around 9, 10 and 15. I didn't take this into account in my rating but I absolutely hate the long position on #8! In general, I'm noticing improvement in my game except when I play this hole!
Other Thoughts: I have to say I prefer the old Richmond Hill course before the Armory showed up. It was more spread out so I never felt like I was throwing near anyone else and it had more variety. This is still a good course though.

One thing I've been noticing recently is the complete lack of course etiquette by an increasing number of people at this course. It's weird because I play about 4-5 different courses around here on a regular basis and Richmond Hill is the worst for course etiquette. For example: I mostly play solo and I encounter lots of groups. It's pretty standard for a group to let a solo player play through. Sometimes this doesn't happen and I'll have to try to figure out how to skip ahead of them (sometimes just easier to skip a hole). Other times (and this one really pisses me off) a group will let me play through and then throw into me as I walk to my disc. Completely uncalled for!

2-4    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: fun course. challenging. this and mars hill is a good day of disc golf. mostly wooded. some holes are very tight.
Cons: playing back and forth across valleys. some repetitive shots. not enough open holes for my taste.
Other Thoughts: still fun and def worth the time.

Not as advertised

1    11/19/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: willstradamus
Pros: -Course is well kept

-Holes 1 and 18 are very good and a couple other holes are decent.

-park looks beautiful when you arrive at course

-signs, tee pads, baskets, benches
Cons: -Course was fun on about 4 holes the entire round.

-Tee pads were artificial grass and very slick. 2 people in my 2 man group almost slipped and fell on #2s tee pad. That was enough to make every tee shot timid for the rest of the round.

-design is rendundent and uncreative. Plays back and forth over the valley a half dozen times. Same shot, same risk, same reward (which is very little), over and over.

- Made me think of stump creek more than enough to regret the 1 and a half hour drive.

-This course is billed as top ten in the state. That isnt the fault of the course, but it sets up great disappointment for those of us who have played disc golf in the rest of the state.
Other Thoughts: I rated this course a 2.0 which is "reasonable". When I left Richmond Hills I didnt even feel that it was that. Part of the problem was that I expected more. Unfortunately, I played a course that wouldnt even be a top ten course in charlotte much less in NC.

The best course I've ever played!

2-4    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Everything! This course has elevation, birdie ops, long, short, technical shots and open bombs. Plenty of bench space at most holes. Great signage and nice flow. Loved Holes 1/5/15/18 especially. Nice practice area and a mobile pro shop even pulled up selling discs! Huge carpet tee pads. I also really dug the blue basket tops. They really stand out in the woods.
Cons: Not a one I can think of unless your too old or fat to climb mountains all day.
Other Thoughts: I WILL make the 5 hour trip to come back here as soon as I can. What a great course. We played the first round at 8:30am and there was only 1 other person out there. Epic scenery + brilliant design = amazing course

beautiful, well-maintained, and challenging

5+    9/25/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: smiller
Pros: beautiful scenic course through a hilly, wooded area. well-maintained tees and baskets. nice combination of challenges.
Cons: poison ivy in the summer is terrible. hills make approaches critical, as a bad bounce or roll can make for a tough recovery.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. the trees are definitely a little tight on some of the holes. there aren't many opportunities to really chuck it for distance. it is all about finesse here.

Great Course

2-4    9/7/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: bsh301
Pros: I really like the turf pad's. I tend to drag my left foot, and concrete pads tear my shoes up.
A wide variety of shots, pretty well laid out.
Cons: Steep hills with little ground coverage can turn a missed birdie shot into a boogie or even a bd with a bad roll.
Other Thoughts: I have played this course twice now while driving thru, and will continue to play it anytime I get the chance.

seperates the men from the boys

5+    8/12/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: jimmazz
Pros: Difficult, yet acessable fairways. Great hike and a relaxed atmosphere. Bring your A game, and dont be afaraid to use you putter. glide rules.
Cons: Douchebags, and poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: This is my everyday course. Pack out your trash, and enjoy this truly amazing course/

Fun Course

1    8/15/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: philman
Pros: Great use of elevation and trees. Very pretty park and well kept.
Cons: Better signage would be good to cut down confusion on a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: We played this because it was the closest on the map at the time we were driving home from a trip to the IDGC in GA. It was the perfect end to a fun golf trip to the south. I had so much fun here I want to play it again some day.

Spectacular! Truely worth the drive...

2-4    7/8/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: Zaneism
Pros: Wow, not sure where to begin. First of all, other courses should look to this one for direction, they have put in the work to make this an awesome course. The course is a little difficult to find because of the hilly roads but I didn't have any real trouble. ok, pros....scorecards with map available at kiosk (fantastic) also great tee pads with astroturf-like boxes...very different(although can be slippery when it rains I heard from a local) Baskets are blue instead of normal innova yellow which is unique. multiple hole locations is nice but not multiple baskets. hopefully soon. The stairs and other wood work along the course is beautiful and well done, I will try to post a video of hole 9 which is my favorite!
Cons: Honestly, it is hard to find cons on this course without sounding picky or prudish....I would like to see a few more directional signs telling you which path to take to get to the next hole.
Other Thoughts: Elevation is a little much if you are only a casual or beginner but for those who like to play, it's a fantastic change of pace!

Fantastic Course Up and Down

5+    5/30/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: weeman
Pros: This course provides a stern challenge to shoot well. Beyond holes 1 and 18 the entire course is wooded with demanding fairways. Bring your technical game and make sure it is on to have a chance at scoring well. Accurate drives are prized over distance in most cases and the course can be played with anything from only a mid-range and putter to over stable drivers. All but two holes have multiple pin placements that are switched frequently, especially during tournaments. Seemingly all baskets are on some sort of slope which can leave you with a dangerous putt if you're unlucky enough to miss or roll away. There are constant elevation changes on the course with numerous ravine shots coming into play. The course has a good flow to it with few back up holes which aren't usually a problem as most of the locals I encountered were very nice friendly people that I enjoyed playing with.
Cons: As mentioned by other reviewers, the tee pads are turf. The pads are excellent for the most part in dry conditions but can be slick after a rain storm and affect footing. One or two may become flooded with water too if there is a lot of rain. I saw multiple people wearing soccer cleats to combat this. With the multiple pin placements, there is no indication of where the basket is located on the sign so beware before you throw. I found different pin placements required vastly different discs and type of shot. The only other con I can think to mention is the location of the practice basket. As the course is almost completely wooded, the practice basket is in a wide open flat area next to the parking lot. This is the complete opposite of the type of greens on the rest of the course. Not that its a problem, it just seemed odd to me.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a fantastic course where low scores can be achieved but not without a good complete round. There's a board with scorecards and a chalkboard where people can write about lost/found discs near hole one. If you just can't get enough through the 18 holes, the locals add a 19th onto the course. From the tee pad of fifteen to the basket of number one is an extra where you can let them fly in the open. Also there are no trash can on the course itself, only around the parking lot. I noticed this and it was pointed out that it discourages people from leaving their trash on the course. Please keep this course top notch. I look forward to going back and playing it again.