Asheville, NC
Richmond Hill Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #15 (Taken 1/2010)
Hole #15 Basket (Short Position)

Appalachian White Lightning

5+    5/29/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
Pros: - Richmond Hill is located on a beautiful property and really shows you what a NC Mountain course should look like.
- The course has great signage that provide distances and accurate maps. If you have been in the past they now have printed out signs instead of the wood burned ones.
- The course is located on a property that is used solely for disc golf so aside from the occasional local walker from the neighborhood near by you shouldn't have any problems with the general public interfering with your round.
- The layout uses the terrain very well and requires shots of many different elevations, both up and down hill. Many of the holes allow for a variety of shot types for you to choose from as well.
- There is great seating on EVERY hole. If you ever find a time where there isn't enough seating you should probably split your group of 10 in half :D.
- Many of the holes require accuracy over power so there a very good risk/reward option on most holes when deciding what shot you want to take. You can throw the Mid right in the middle and take your par/long birdie attempt or throw a driver and risk being at the bottom of a large hill with a much harder shot then your original drive.
- There are multiple pins on almost every hole so every time you play you have a chance of playing a completely different course than you played before.
Cons: - I am not a big fan of the Turf tee pads. When they are wet they can be pretty slippery and some don't have very good drainage. Though I do think they look pretty nice.
- Off some of the fairways the rough can be pretty thick so if you are playing by yourself with no one to help spot you might have a pretty good chance of loosing a disc on an errant throw.
- Many of the holes have multiple pins however with the new signs I didn't see any way of telling which position it was currently in on the blind holes. It is possible I didn't see where they displayed it.
Other Thoughts: Richmond Hill is one of my favorite courses. To me it is the perfect NC Wooded/Mountain course offering all types of shots. When you are playing the course you can tell the local club has put a lot of time, effort, and love into the course and it leaves you with really good vibes during your round. If you are in the Asheville area, or just in NC for that matter, I would highly recommend giving Richmond Hill a try.

Wow!

1    5/1/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: Lots of pros. Steps in the deep woods where needed to prevent going up and down slippery slopes. Great holes with wonderful use of elevation. Accuracy more important than distance which I liked. I love the wood chip fairways. My fear of the carpet tees was quickly ended. Great footing. Go too left on 18 and you disc will beat you to the parking lot some 75 foot away. Good signage where needed to next hole.
Cons: Nothing to do for family if not playing golf. While tee signs show two baskets only one. I know plants a little. Lots of 3 leaves around trees that were Poison Ivy. Other than that none.
Other Thoughts: I was in Asheville on business. I played around 7AM on Sunday morning. Only one on course. By the finish there was at least 10 cars in the parking lot some hour later. This is a must play course for anyone. I had played Hilton in Hickory this week also. Hilton is really good and i still liked Richmond Hill better.

What a View!

1    4/2/2011   4/21/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Richmond Hill, located in the scenic mountains of Asheville, plays through a mature forest area comprised mostly of pine trees. The terrain is exceptional, with tons of tasty elevation, and nicely defined fairways through the trees that force you to hit your line without being too tight or punishing. Although the mountains and forest make this course seem very isolated, it somehow still has a very park-style vibe to it.
- Massive elevation changes throughout. A valley runs between two large hills and many holes (such as #5 and #9) take advantage of the opportunities to throw from one hill across the valley to the other hill, with minor variances. Despite basically setting up the same shot in a couple of places, the flow between hole styles seemed fresh and never repetitive.
- Tee pads made of plastic grass carpeting, bounded by boards. Footing was never an issue on these, and they played much better than they look. Signs show alternative pin positions, but in places are fairly basic. Next tee signs as needed. Port-a-john and trashcans by the parking lot. Bridges and stairways as needed.
- Good balance throughout between up, down, left, right.
Cons: - Mulch is used heavily in many places. I understand that mulch helps certain areas not become muddy messes, but it seemed a bit like overkill. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I really dislike playing down fairways of mulch. Not really much of a con, as I suppose I'd rather have the mulch than mud.
- This seems to be a popular, crowded course. Not conducive to peaceful, leisurely rounds; however, for as crowded as the course was when I played it, the pace of play wasn't too bad.
- Not many trashcans (although the course was impeccably clean when I played it).
- There is one or two places you might get temporarily turned around at if you're new to the course and not paying attention, but not an issue if you keep your eyes peeled.
Other Thoughts: - Check out the stunning view from #18's fairway as the sun sets. You will NOT be disappointed.
- Odd sign posted by the parking lot says that sex offenders are not allowed in the park by state law. I hadn't seen anything like that before.

One off the wish list

2-4    4/10/2011   4/12/2011
Review By: Zenzubar
This review was updated on 4/15/2011
Pros: Great course and marked really well. This course will make you play your best, your not going to just walk through this one. The up keep is nice, maps are usely left a the start of the course. There are also lot of other players there to get tips from. One big pro is there are places to set and enjoy the outside at every tee.
Cons: One big con for me is the trash along the course which is not the parks falt but the people that go there. This is something that needs to stop people, if we want to keep these Disc Golf course we must show we want them and keep them clean. Something that might help this would be to place trash cans at some of the tees. thats just a thought
Other Thoughts: I see this being a course I will keep coming back to again and again. I hope I can find more course as good as this one near where I live.

Beautiful course with great local vibe

1    2/26/2011   2/26/2011
Review By: Fender088
Pros: This course offers the feel of being tucked away in the mountains with the convenience of being located less than two miles from the downtown area of Asheville. The second you creep over the hill and see the parking lot of the course you know that this is the place to be in this town. The lot was stacked upon my arrival, but I was happy to see that the course moved quickly and the amenities were plenty.
The course contains multiple pin placements, large carpeted tees, bathroom amenities, trash cans, tee signs on every hole, and a great selection of shots. Although the course is mainly wooded, I still felt that there were a decent amount of fairly open holes, in contrast to the mostly wooded ones. The elevation changes were definitely the most dominant feature. I would recommend hiking shoes for this reason. The distances were wide ranging as well for a wooded course, although nothing too extreme. A fair amount of par threes and fours allowed for some solid birdie opportunities even for someone like me who had never seen the course before.
Cons: I guess I could say there was no water and that I would have preferred concrete tees, but that didn't really come into my mind while I was playing this course. You could also say that this course lacked some huge open holes to really air some throws out, but for the land available I don't really see how the designers could have done a better job. There just really wasn't a hole out here that I disliked or thought was poorly designed.
I think that the traffic on this course could be a legitimate complaint (especially in the summer), but my group didn't have to wait on anyone despite the full lot.
Other Thoughts: All in all I had an excellent experience at this course. It's proximity to the city and signage make it extremely easy to navigate. You really can't beat the local feel here either. I was able to play a few holes with DSCJNKY and a few other members on here and they were beyond welcoming to myself and my friend taking pictures. If you're in Asheville for any reason I would make a point to play this course. It's by far one of the best designed wooded courses I've ever played and reminded me a lot of my home course, The Sinks, but with a lot of elevation added. Also, I didn't have a chance to play UNC Asheville, but the locals told me that it's an excellent little course to warm up on prior to playing this one.

Asheville's Signature Course

5+    2/26/2012   2/18/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 2/26/2012
Pros: *Update as of 2/26/12 - I guess this occurred sometime over the past couple days but there is now a new alternate basket location on Hole #6. I'd guess it's about 175' fade left...but here is the kicker...the basket is raised up so the bottom is about 8' in the air. There are a couple of log steps at the base so you can retrieve your disc. I imagine short people will need a stick or something to get their disc out...or else they will have to shimmy up the pole. ;)

I believe this now leaves Hole #9 as the only hole with only 1 basket location.

Extremely challenging. I like to think it makes me a better player because it forces me either to focus or score a triple bogey. I also like how the course is set up so the front 9 ends and back 9 begins right by the parking lot. All courses should do this.
Cons: A little repetitive with 5, 9, 10 and 14 playing across the ravine. I feel like they maybe could have made one of those holes similar to 15 and the course would have still maintained it's flow.

The course is not real spread out. When it gets crowded (which is often) it's hard not to feel like you are constantly waiting...either waiting on the next hole or waiting until the path is clear around 9, 10 and 15. I didn't take this into account in my rating but I absolutely hate the long position on #8! In general, I'm noticing improvement in my game except when I play this hole!
Other Thoughts: I have to say I prefer the old Richmond Hill course before the Armory showed up. It was more spread out so I never felt like I was throwing near anyone else and it had more variety. This is still a good course though.

One thing I've been noticing recently is the complete lack of course etiquette by an increasing number of people at this course. It's weird because I play about 4-5 different courses around here on a regular basis and Richmond Hill is the worst for course etiquette. For example: I mostly play solo and I encounter lots of groups. It's pretty standard for a group to let a solo player play through. Sometimes this doesn't happen and I'll have to try to figure out how to skip ahead of them (sometimes just easier to skip a hole). Other times (and this one really pisses me off) a group will let me play through and then throw into me as I walk to my disc. Completely uncalled for!

2-4    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: fun course. challenging. this and mars hill is a good day of disc golf. mostly wooded. some holes are very tight.
Cons: playing back and forth across valleys. some repetitive shots. not enough open holes for my taste.
Other Thoughts: still fun and def worth the time.

Not as advertised

1    11/19/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: willstradamus
Pros: -Course is well kept

-Holes 1 and 18 are very good and a couple other holes are decent.

-park looks beautiful when you arrive at course

-signs, tee pads, baskets, benches
Cons: -Course was fun on about 4 holes the entire round.

-Tee pads were artificial grass and very slick. 2 people in my 2 man group almost slipped and fell on #2s tee pad. That was enough to make every tee shot timid for the rest of the round.

-design is rendundent and uncreative. Plays back and forth over the valley a half dozen times. Same shot, same risk, same reward (which is very little), over and over.

- Made me think of stump creek more than enough to regret the 1 and a half hour drive.

-This course is billed as top ten in the state. That isnt the fault of the course, but it sets up great disappointment for those of us who have played disc golf in the rest of the state.
Other Thoughts: I rated this course a 2.0 which is "reasonable". When I left Richmond Hills I didnt even feel that it was that. Part of the problem was that I expected more. Unfortunately, I played a course that wouldnt even be a top ten course in charlotte much less in NC.

The best course I've ever played!

2-4    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Everything! This course has elevation, birdie ops, long, short, technical shots and open bombs. Plenty of bench space at most holes. Great signage and nice flow. Loved Holes 1/5/15/18 especially. Nice practice area and a mobile pro shop even pulled up selling discs! Huge carpet tee pads. I also really dug the blue basket tops. They really stand out in the woods.
Cons: Not a one I can think of unless your too old or fat to climb mountains all day.
Other Thoughts: I WILL make the 5 hour trip to come back here as soon as I can. What a great course. We played the first round at 8:30am and there was only 1 other person out there. Epic scenery + brilliant design = amazing course

beautiful, well-maintained, and challenging

5+    9/25/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: smiller
Pros: beautiful scenic course through a hilly, wooded area. well-maintained tees and baskets. nice combination of challenges.
Cons: poison ivy in the summer is terrible. hills make approaches critical, as a bad bounce or roll can make for a tough recovery.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. the trees are definitely a little tight on some of the holes. there aren't many opportunities to really chuck it for distance. it is all about finesse here.